Support your favorite misunderstood character!

Discussion of any other anime and/or manga goes here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Support your favorite misunderstood character!

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:53 pm

By "misunderstood", that's when a character gets unfairly bashed by ignorant fans for (mostly) stupid reasons (for example, Relena in GW and Ayeka in Tenchi).

For me, I support the following:

GW: Relena, Quatre, Wufei

Tenchi: Ayeka, Sakuya, Mihoshi

Slayers: Amelia
Last edited by DuoTheShinigami02 on Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:07 pm

Is this only for unpopular characters?
Last edited by peachvampiress on Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:39 pm

To make it easier, here it is:

Which character you think gets treated unfairly by the fans?
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:41 am

The only characters I like that I find truly misunderstood are Ikari Shinji and Ayanami Rei from Neon Genesis Evangelion. It seems that everyone except me has a problem with them..
"With this candle I will..set your mother on fire." - Victor, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:52 am

Chiba Mamoru - maybe not by a majority of fans, but a lot of people diss him for being cold. Not everyone can be a "Don Juan" when it comes to romancing the ladies *cries for Mamoru-san*

...um, that's it for now ^^;;
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:11 am

I'm for Minmei (Macross).

Almost everyone I've spoken to who likes Macross says that they find Minmei to be annoying and I don't know why. One person said that she's just not a match for Misa Hayaes. These people have to remember that Hikaru wouldn't be where he was today if it wasn't for Minmei who encouraged him to join the military. She's also important to the storyline as her singing voice has this certain effect on the Zentreadi.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:02 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:I'm for Minmei (Macross).

Almost everyone I've spoken to who likes Macross says that they find Minmei to be annoying and I don't know why. One person said that she's just not a match for Misa Hayaes. These people have to remember that Hikaru wouldn't be where he was today if it wasn't for Minmei who encouraged him to join the military. She's also important to the storyline as her singing voice has this certain effect on the Zentreadi.
Is this the Macross Minmay or the Robotech Minmei (notice the spelling difference)?

I'm all for the Macross Minmay. The Macross songs are classics, while Robotech's... well, it sucks. And it has been joked that Rebecca Forstadt (Minmei's voice) sung those songs DRUNK!

Sakuya
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Sakuya » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:19 pm

To me, I really support Mizuno Ami.

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:08 pm

Eugene Grant- The Big O

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:12 pm

DuoTheShinigami02 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:I'm for Minmei (Macross).

Is this the Macross Minmay or the Robotech Minmei (notice the spelling difference)?

I'm all for the Macross Minmay. The Macross songs are classics, while Robotech's... well, it sucks. And it has been joked that Rebecca Forstadt (Minmei's voice) sung those songs DRUNK!
I always thought that Minmei was the proper spelling of her name and Minmay was the Americanized spelling. Minmei seems more like an accurate spelling to me.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:49 am

Miaka (Fushigi Yuugi)- I don't find her annoying... She's one of my favorites in FY. And even though she's not that smart, (I don't think she's stupid ) she's an entertaining character. Funny, cute, and she has a good heart. A lot of people also say she's selfish. But if she was so selfish there are many things that wouldn't have occured in the series. Hell if you ask me, she's similar to Usagi.

Tamahome (Fushigi Yuugi)- Many people say Tamahome's annoying too. Well he and Miaka make my favorite hetero couple in anime. How they scream for each other is always being exaggerated. He cares a great deal about her, and I love his overall character. He can be very serious sometimes and at other times he's downright hilarious. Not to mention he's mad hot. He's my second favorite male anime character.

Chibi-Usa (Sailormoon)- Ok Chibi-Usa isn't really a favorite of mine. But I do like her and she's one of the cutest anime characters ever. Most people who hate her hate her in the anime. While her manga persona is better IMO, her anime one is good too. She's misunderstood by many. I mean some fans say how she's in love with her father, hates Usagi, and all sorts of things, which aren't true. She matures from there too, and probably "grew" the most character-wise out of the Sailor Senshi. As far as the anime contuinty goes.

(Edited silly typos ^^; )
Last edited by LadyFlameSniper on Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Re: Support your favorite misunderstood character!

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:22 am

DuoTheShinigami02 wrote:By "misunderstood", that's when a character gets unfairly bashed by ignorant fans for (mostly) stupid reasons (for example, Relena in GW and Ayeka in Tenchi).
Just because someone doesn't like a character doesn't mean they're ignorant. I happen to not like Ayeka, from Tenchi. But, I've seen the show, and I know about her. I'm not ignorant. I just don't like her. Anyway, here's mine:

Kikyo, from InuYasha. Most people hate her, but I find her tragic past appealing. I'm all for Kikyo/InuYasha, rather than Kagome/InuYasha.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Re: Support your favorite misunderstood character!

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:06 pm

ParaKiss_Groupie wrote:
DuoTheShinigami02 wrote:By "misunderstood", that's when a character gets unfairly bashed by ignorant fans for (mostly) stupid reasons (for example, Relena in GW and Ayeka in Tenchi).
Just because someone doesn't like a character doesn't mean they're ignorant. I happen to not like Ayeka, from Tenchi. But, I've seen the show, and I know about her. I'm not ignorant. I just don't like her.
By ignorant, I mean that they just make up all the BS reasons to hate a character (e.g., Sakuya is hated because "she stole Ryoko's man, her hair, eyes, etc., and Relena because she wears pink, etc.) Ya dig?

Of course, I'm just appalled at that one anti-Trowa page (www.geocities.com/trowa_sux).

KariOhki
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by KariOhki » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:41 pm

Sylphiel (Slayers) - A lot of people call her a support character. And they say that the only thing she does is hang in the background and say "Gourry-sama" all of the time and is overly obsessed about him. She's not OVERLY obsessed, just a little if at all.
And also, Lina and the others would've been screwed over a couple of times if Sylphiel wasn't there.

Anubi: Oh God.
Anubi: I just saw Mog/Terra hentai.
Kari: XDDDDDDDDDDDD
Anubi: My life is snow scarred.
Kari: ooooo, snow
Anubi: Oo, fun.
Anubi: SNOW SCARRED.
Anubi: WHOO.

Em
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Em » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:41 pm

Relena, Wufei (GW) and Mamoru (Sailor moon)

I find most people don't like them but I think they are quite good I think the the shows they are in would be very differnt if they weren't like they were or in the show.

Quatre has a fan base which loves the little blond boy most fans I know like him, love him or are a Trowa+ Quatre fan
The Doctor: What''''s the use of a good quotation if you can''''t change it?

[referring back to Ace''''s earlier, rather transparent denial of packing Nitro-9]
The Seventh Doctor: Ace, give me some of that Nitro-9 you''''re not carrying.

The Seventh Doctor: [the Doctor is knelt coughing on the ground having blown up a Dalek with some nitro-9 explosive. The fuse had a shorter time on it than Ace told him] Ace! You said ten seconds.
Ace: Nobody''''s perfect Professor

"He seriously looks like a hot chocolate pimp"- peachvampiress on Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Helping mate find her way out of college wiht other mate due to the fact she didn't have contact len's in
"He was cute"
"That was a women"
"Really?"
"Yes"

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:29 am

Hrm...

Usagi - BSSM. A lot of people call her stupid, which is completely wrong IMO. She's not a complete idiot. She's a ditz, yes, and she's very ignorant about a lot of things, but this doesn't make one stupid.

Amelia - Slayers. Yes, she can be horridly annoying, but she can be damn sweet, too. And hilarious at times. Her completely caring nature for her friends sometimes touches me, and even I have a place for this annoying little bugger.

Queen Beryl - BSSM. I'm mainly thinking of the manga version...I mean, come on. The woman just wanted to love Endymion, and for him to love her back...Metallia took advantage of this, and she let her emotions overcome her and become evil. I pity characters like this. I really hate when she's referred to as this evil being, when she's really not.

Zelgadis - Slayers. I've read plenty of sites and articles where it is said that it's Zel's fault he's the way he is. Wtf. The guy wanted more power, not to be made into a stone chimera. I pity him as well, and love him as a character.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

DistantMemory
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DistantMemory » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:59 am

To DuoTheShinigami02: Damn you! You took my idea before I was ready to give it away! XD But anyway...

~Taiki Kou, Tsukino Chibiusa, and Kaioh Michiru from Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
~Kuririn and Mr. Satan from Dragon Ball/Z
~Allen Schezar from Tenkuu no Escaflowne
~Ryuuzaki Umi and Alcyone from Magic Knight Rayearth
~Tracey Sketchit, Casey, and Ritchie (and probably Team Rocket..to a point, because they also have a giant fanbase) from Pokemon
~Princess Zelda, Princess Ruto, Skull Kid, and Tingle from The Legend of Zelda (as stated billions among billions of times, there is also a manga, not just the game)
~Relena Peacecraft from Gundam Wing (fine, she is not my favorite, and I don't even watch the series, but even I know shes sorely underrated...but some idiots hate her so much that they think that she is overrated ¬¬ wheres my shotgun when I need it?)

Vagabond
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Vagabond » Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:16 pm

To DuoTheShinigami02: Damn you! You took my idea before I was ready to give it away! XD But anyway...

~Taiki Kou, Tsukino Chibiusa, and Kaioh Michiru from Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
~Kuririn and Mr. Satan from Dragon Ball/Z
~Allen Schezar from Tenkuu no Escaflowne
~Ryuuzaki Umi and Alcyone from Magic Knight Rayearth
~Tracey Sketchit, Casey, and Ritchie (and probably Team Rocket..to a point, because they also have a giant fanbase) from Pokemon
~Princess Zelda, Princess Ruto, Skull Kid, and Tingle from The Legend of Zelda (as stated billions among billions of times, there is also a manga, not just the game)
~Relena Peacecraft from Gundam Wing (fine, she is not my favorite, and I don't even watch the series, but even I know shes sorely underrated...but some idiots hate her so much that they think that she is overrated ¬¬ wheres my shotgun when I need it?)
I think the reason why people don't like Tracey from Pokemon is because he simply didn't match up to Brock. While Brock had a fairly interesting (and somewhat tragic) past and was a funny character, there was almost nothing on Tracey. He was just... there. The fact that he as only in the Orange League saga, which was pretty boring in general, only adds to this misunderstanding. Who is Casey?

Why are those characters misunderstood in the Legend of Zelda? Also, I don't think Tingle ever was in the manga.
If you just see the leaf, you'll miss the tree;
If you just see the tree, you'll miss the forest;
To see everything, effortlessly, that is what it means to truly see.

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:43 pm

Taiki/Star Maker
Chibi-Usa-sama
Mamoru
Miaka (I have a soft spot for her because she reminds me a LOT of my dog Aggie)
Shampoo
Mousse (not sure about the last two)
All of the Wedding Peach characters, since that anime got bad press in America (it DOES have differences from Sailor Moon...
[spoiler]Angel Lily falls in love with Limone, the "Tuxedo Mask" of that show, not the main character[/spoiler] and Wedding Peach's symbolism is more cross-cultural than Sailor Moon's, since in Sailor Moon, a bunch of things come from Japanese myths, but in Wedding Peach the symbolism of the characters' powers comes from WESTERN wedding traditions)
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

DistantMemory
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DistantMemory » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:24 pm

Who is Casey?
Good question, Vagabond. She is a basball fan and an electric Pokemon trainer. I never was really able to figure out the reason why people hate her so much... O.o; ...if I knew I would probably be able to give you a better answer. Luckily, you get a better one for this next question.
Why are those characters misunderstood in the Legend of Zelda? Also, I don't think Tingle ever was in the manga.
First, Princess Zelda is often bashed just for (what they call, anyway) bossing their precious Linkie-pooh around...you know that when I say that, this comes from rabid venom-injected fangirls, right? Anyway, they should know that without this girl, the whole Zelda series would never come into existence. And Princess Ruto is hated for the same reason, bossing Link around in the belly of Jabujabu-sama and barely doing any work. And Skull Kid is hated because he was weak enough to let the mask control his mind....and Tingle because he is a weirdo midget who thinks he is a fairy.

Which reminds me, I forgot I had more to add:

~Navi, Tatl, and Tael from The Legend of Zelda
~Chiba Mamoru from Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon