Alcohol/Drugs

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:19 pm

For the record, I'm writing this before reading all of yours, except for Tiff's Admin comments.

Alcohol: I don't care for drinking. Beer tastes foul to me and hard liquor is too much of a shock to the system. I do however like wine, especially red, especially a dry Chianti, for accompanying certain meals. If I'm eating a really good piece of beef or lamb or fish, I'll take half a glass and sip it as I eat. But it's purely as an enhancement to flavor and texture, and not actually a beverage--it doesn't wash down the food or quench my thirst. I'll keep a glass of water or soda to do that.

My experience with drugs is limited to say the least. I tried marijuana once (yes, I inhaled), and didn't care for it. It burned my throat and set me coughing. I waited for the high to kick in, but it simply didn't do it for me. The only other time that would qualify was when I was given valium for oral surgery to remove my wisdom teeth. I was awake for the operation and remember being quite spacey--my jokes were weirder than usual, and that's saying something. Valium does promote amnesia, though, so my memory isn't perfect (that's why I went for it over full anesthesia--what do I care how much pain I'm in if I can't remember it afterwards?) But I was never high, per se. I wasn't ecstatic.

Perhaps harder drugs would give me that level of ecstasy (perhaps the drug ecstasy itself), but from what I've heard, the ones that are powerful enough for that are the ones that screw up your brain. My tongue-in-cheek statement is that my mind is so powerful that mere chemicals don't serve to change it greatly.

Which is not to say that I wouldn't like such a thing. I would like to try a drug that gave me the same elation I get from sexual climax. More so, I would like one that gave me the sense of universal perfection I get from watching episode 200 of Sailor Moon, or the triumphal feeling I get when listening to the 1812 Overture, or the sense of personal satisfaction I feel when I'm sitting in an arboretum on a beautiful day when the sun is shining and it's just the right temperature and you just that god you're alive and had a chance to experience this. Put that in a capsule and I'm there. I'm doubtful that can be done.

As far as the political aspects of drugs are concerned: legalize it, man! My libertarian feelings come out in force. The War on Drugs is a failure and a waste of taxpayers' money. More to the point, everyone has the right to take an action they want to that doesn't hurt others. If someone drives under the influence, or commits a crime on drugs, let's throw the book at them, but don't stop people from fulfilling a desire.

It's the same problem I have with the anti-smoking crusade. I see these stupid Truth commercials and I'm thrown into a rage. If people want to smoke and people want to sell cigs, no government has the right to stop them. I feel the most sympathy for the demonized heads of the companies. They should be able to sell and advertise their product as they see fit and at the price they can get it for. Whether it's drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes, the idea that the government knows better than me about my body is offensive to me.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:27 pm

Well, its hard to explain which is why I didn't go much into it. And I don't want to make myself sound stupid. But I guess the best I can say is that parts of me that I'd unconsciously bury or repress I'd rediscover sometimes in that alternate state. Also, publically, I'm an extremely shy person, and sometimes parts of me I'm otherwise too afraid to show come out when I drink, hence others discovering more of my identity too. I don't NEED to have alcohol to socialize (especially not with close friends), but it does help. It's amazing what a simple lack of inhibitions can do for expressing yourself. Granted it can be harmful too, especially in the cases of what I guess are referred to as the stereotypical "angry drunks/mean drunks", but for me it's usually not like that.

A lot of people consider alcohol and drugs as purely recreational, but being in altered states often holds a deeper meaning to me. Again, it's hard to explain. Then again... it's hard for people to explain their religious feelings too, I guess, and as I said it can be a more vague spiritual-like thing for me. Many religions of the worlds use drugs in rituals and as a huge part of their spiritual identity.

EDIT:
Sailorasteroid wrote:My experience with drugs is limited to say the least. I tried marijuana once (yes, I inhaled), and didn't care for it. It burned my throat and set me coughing. I waited for the high to kick in, but it simply didn't do it for me. The only other time that would qualify was when I was given valium for oral surgery to remove my wisdom teeth. I was awake for the operation and remember being quite spacey--my jokes were weirder than usual, and that's saying something. Valium does promote amnesia, though, so my memory isn't perfect (that's why I went for it over full anesthesia--what do I care how much pain I'm in if I can't remember it afterwards?) But I was never high, per se. I wasn't ecstatic.

Perhaps harder drugs would give me that level of ecstasy (perhaps the drug ecstasy itself), but from what I've heard, the ones that are powerful enough for that are the ones that screw up your brain. My tongue-in-cheek statement is that my mind is so powerful that mere chemicals don't serve to change it greatly.

Which is not to say that I wouldn't like such a thing. I would like to try a drug that gave me the same elation I get from sexual climax. More so, I would like one that gave me the sense of universal perfection I get from watching episode 200 of Sailor Moon, or the triumphal feeling I get when listening to the 1812 Overture, or the sense of personal satisfaction I feel when I'm sitting in an arboretum on a beautiful day when the sun is shining and it's just the right temperature and you just that god you're alive and had a chance to experience this. Put that in a capsule and I'm there. I'm doubtful that can be done.
Everyone's brain reacts differently to drugs, and from what Dan told me as a warning the first time we did it, a lot of people don't get high the first time they try pot. It seems like you didn't. I did, but it took quite a while. The euphoria was there for me, and enhanced everything around me... from the beauty of the outside world, to music, to visual effects.

As far as your example of drugs not giving you the euphoria of an orgasm for you, well, everyone's brains react differently to that too. I'm tempted to go into some very personal stuff example-wise, but I'll refrain since this thread's supposed to be about our views and less about experiences. If you'd like I can PM you, Asteroid.
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

Chibisteven
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Chibisteven » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:52 pm

Um. I have no problems with someone drinking as long as they don't drive or become really volient. But, I'll never drink because, I have enough problems as it is.

As for smoking. I don't care, just don't it in my house or in front of me. Never will smoke.

As for other drugs. I don't feel need a drug to be high unless it's prescribed by my doctor.

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:18 pm

Sylphiel wrote: I'm tempted to go into some very personal stuff example-wise, but I'll refrain since this thread's supposed to be about our views and less about experiences. If you'd like I can PM you, Asteroid.
That would be an interesting discussion, thank you, yes.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

I <3 all you guys!

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:20 pm

I know I may seem a bit young to have opinions on such things, but I have seen the effects of both drugs and alcohol in the lives of those around me, so I have formed a few thoughts on the issue.

When it comes to alcohol, I have no big moral qualms with it. To me it is mainly an issue of self-control and responsibility. As long as you don't put anyone else at risk, by say, driving a car while intoxicated, I see no problem with alcohol. While I certainly cannot understand why some go so far as to make themselves sick, I can understand those who drink socially, or just to unwind.

Alcohol really isn't for me, though. I've tasted several different kinds, straight up, and the flavor was enough to turn me away. I could see myself enjoying wine, or mixed drinks, but in very limited quantities. To me, loosing inhibition is a horrible thought, especially in the presence of others. I am quite the control freak when it comes to my person.

I view marijuana in much the same way. While, like almost anything else, too much of it can be harmful, the occasional smoker is committing no more of a crime in my eyes than the occasional drinker. The fact that it is illegal baffles me, really. The justice system wastes so many resources prosecuting and jailing marijuana users, when the focus needs to be on dangerous criminals.

There are some hallucinogens that I do not feel strongly against, but legalizing them is still a bit of a fuzzy issue with me. I haven't been able to make up my mind.

One drug I can stand firmly against is methamphetamine. Based on the ingredients alone, I am surprised that it doesn't kill all the users the first time out. To me, meth is nothing more than an addictive poison. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but it is my opinion.

Cigarettes are sort of a two sided issue with me. Tobacco is just fine and dandy, but the chemicals that cigarette companies are putting into their products are just insane. Tobacco has been around for a long time, but I feel that it didn't become ridiculously dangerous until these additives were tossed in.

The problem with smoking in public places is where I get a bit defensive. I have nothing against smokers, but exposure to cigarette smoke causes me to choke and makes me sick to my stomach. I don't cough as a statement against smokers, I cough because my throat is actually closing up. While I don't care if someone wants to smoke in most public spaces, restaurants, in my opinion, should be smoke free. It's not hurting anyone to wait for about an hour or so during a meal, so I think it is merely a common courtesy not to light up in a restaurant.

There's my three cents on the topic. I hope I didn't ramble... ^^;
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:26 pm

NameGoesHere wrote:It's not hurting anyone to wait for about an hour or so during a meal, so I think it is merely a common courtesy not to light up in a restaurant.
Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on smoking sections in restaurants?

And I agree with you about Meth. Nasty stuff, that.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:34 pm

In New York we have a no-smoking-section law. You can't smoke at all in a restaurant or bar. To me, this is a violation of the rights of the restaurant owner. If the owner of an eatery wants to let its patrons smoke, that's up to him or her. Heck, if an owner wants to *require* his patrons to smoke, that's up to them. If people don't want smoke, it's as if that restaurant doesn't exist to them.

I <3 all you guys!

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:38 pm

Well... I'd call myself really young for this ubt... I'm kinda uptight...

Alchohal: I don't really think that's it's horrid... just don't drive when drinking, drink wisely, and don't get trashed off your ass and puke your guts out. I wouoldn't try it, until i'm 21... but I don't really have much of a good opinoin of it... my parents drinkn about daily, but not so they get drunk. I don't really want to offend anyone, but I don't really want to lose my self-control if I drink a lot, I like having my main sanity... I'll get put to sleep for surgeries though. pain is NOT fun for me... I don't take it well...

Pot: ... like I said, I"m against it really... I want to follow the law, I think others should, and yes, the 'war on drugs' is failing miserably. but, I think people for chornic users should be sent to a rehab clinic... because if they keep doing htat they'll most likely end as hobos on the sidewalk... that, and it effects optential children you may have.

Cigs: Er... I don't want ot smoke. it takes a TON of cash out of your pockets, since prices keep rising, and it's extremely addictive. it's legal, but I have a low opinion because it's really unhealthy... my Grandma can't breathe without an oxygen tank around her. Three of my dad's siblings smoke, and it just scares me what all has happened with Grandma, and they aren't really trying to stop...

Other: ... Like I said with pot, if it's illegal, I think you shouldn't do it. Many of htem are really deadly to the human body...
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:57 pm

Tiff wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on smoking sections in restaurants?
Smoking sections are great, but they should be done right. Many restaurants, back when smoke free was less common a few years ago, just had a four foot dividing wall between the smoking and non-smoking sections. Cigarette smoke carries easily, and if your going to bother with separate spaces, it should be planned out better. Otherwise, you may as well just sit everyone together.

Some nicer restaurants have separate rooms, with HVAC systems that do not circulate the air from smoking into non, and those work well. Unfortunately, setups like that are impractical for smaller facilities, and too costly for many local-run places to use. In those cases, smoke free is best for both the restaurant and the patrons, in my opinion.

Of course, it really should be up to the restaurant. As Sailorasteroid said, I think that owners should be able to choose. If they do not want separate sections at all, that is up to them. All I ask is that there be a sign on the front door, so I can choose another place to eat.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:06 pm

Alcohol: I don't care for the taste much, so aside from toasts at weddings and such, I refrain. However, I have a much more personal reason for not drinking: My father is a recovering alcoholic. He's been sober for at least ten years, but its still hard for him.
I love my father, and I am proud of the fact the he was able to turn his life around. But I've heard that alcoholism can run in the family. I don't know if its true or not, but why take that chance?
If others want to drink, that's fine, but to be frank, I don't see the need to get drunk. I can have a fine time sober, why can't everyone?

Smoking: My mom was a heavy smoker for years, and it seems to be the most pointless of drugs. She finally kicked the habit, (and ironically, has begun drinking more than she used too)

Pot:Honestly, I've never tried it. I am a bit curious about it, but my father also struggled with pot addiction. He once told me that its harder for him to deal with that than his alcoholism.
I do think that it should be legalized, though. It does have medicinal properties and some people can handle it responsibly.

I don't approve of anything stronger. At all.

Well, there you have it, kids. Thanks to my mom and dad, I'll stay clean and sober all my life. Everyone should have parents like mine.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:09 pm

NameGoesHere wrote:
Tiff wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on smoking sections in restaurants?
Smoking sections are great, but they should be done right. Many restaurants, back when smoke free was less common a few years ago, just had a four foot dividing wall between the smoking and non-smoking sections. Cigarette smoke carries easily, and if your going to bother with separate spaces, it should be planned out better. Otherwise, you may as well just sit everyone together.

Some nicer restaurants have separate rooms, with HVAC systems that do not circulate the air from smoking into non, and those work well. Unfortunately, setups like that are impractical for smaller facilities, and too costly for many local-run places to use. In those cases, smoke free is best for both the restaurant and the patrons, in my opinion.

Of course, it really should be up to the restaurant. As Sailorasteroid said, I think that owners should be able to choose. If they do not want separate sections at all, that is up to them. All I ask is that there be a sign on the front door, so I can choose another place to eat.
I agree. *Nods* I think smoking sections would be well ventilated, and far away enough from the non-smoking so it doesn't disturb.

And I also agree with Asteroid. Hell, if I own a restaurant, I want the right to accept any patrons I want.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:11 pm

Butterscotch wrote:Smoking: My mom was a heavy smoker for years, and it seems to be the most pointless of drugs.
I agree... I don't see the point of cigarettes at all.

A highly addictive, pointless drug... woohoo! :roll:

(again, just my opinion, I still think people have the right to if they want)
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:15 pm

Sylphiel wrote:
I agree... I don't see the point of cigarettes at all.

A highly addictive, pointless drug... woohoo! :roll:

(again, just my opinion, I still think people have the right to if they want)
Although I personally despise cigarettes, if you think abuot it, caffeine's pretty damn similar. It's addictive, pointless, and not good for you at all. I've known people who are so addicted to caffeine they actually go through withdrawel without it and turn into raging beasts.

My Dad, thank god, stopped smoking since he had his heart attack. My mom and brother have cut down SEVERELY, and are going to try to quit. I always hated that they smoked ><

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:20 pm

Drinking: I have no problem with it at all. I drink quite often (in the right circumstances. Not while alone and etc.) When I worked in Minneapolis, I drank damn near every night, but it was just a social think me and my co-workers did after work. Nothing like OMG I MUST DRINK OR CLOWNS WILL EAT ME!!!111ONE11!

Cigs: I personally can't stand them. Both my grandparents on my mom's side died from them, and I think my mom will be following the same footsteps if she keeps it up. Personally hate them.

Pot: I've never done it, but quite a few of my close friends have done it at least once, and some do it quite often. I personally don't have the want to do it, and I probably never will. I agree it should be legalized, though.

Harder Drugs: No way I can justify these.
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:51 pm

Drinking: As I'm sure it's common knowledge, I drink a fair amount, 1 - 3 times a week approx. depending on various things happening in a given week. I used to be against it in high school for no real reason but obviously broke through that in college. It's a nice thing to do in a socail enviroment on many levels, from small get-togethers with friends to giant parties, though I prefer the smaller get-togethers myself. I think that the drinking age should be back down to 18 though.

Pot: I have no problem with it, it enhances a lot of feelings, and generally makes people more chilled out. I really don't see why it's illegal since it's the effects really aren't that bad. Granted, no one should drive when really high, but it limits the same abilities as drinking does, just in a different way. If it was any stronger then I wouldn't feel that way, but it's really not any stronger than drinking. However, I personally think smoking pot should be done less often than drinking.

Cigs: I'm mixed with this one, since the long-term effects are horrible and they're easy to get addicted to. It was the main reason why my grandma on my mom's side died a few years ago. I've tried a few cigs myself, a couple times after drinking since it helps ease the effect of drinking, and it did a bit I'll admit. I've also smoked a couple without drinking to see what it was like, and I guess the best way to describe it is that it's like a small buzz. It may be nice and relaxing for a moment, but everything negative just isn't worth it to me, not to mention it's damn expensive. I do disagree with severly limiting places people can smoke though. If people decide they still want to smoke, then let them. Nowadays there's like nowhere anyone can go for a smoke if they wanted to, especially in NY with that law.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:38 am

Alcomahol: Don't touch it. Apparently a glass of champagne helped wean me off milk (it got me off the bottle and onto the cup), and I do like the very occasional drink, you'll usually find me drinking orange juice or milk at the dinner table.

Drugs: Only ever touch Berocca, unless otherwise directed. The most daring I've ever been is when I was doing Ritalin, and even that was prescription.

Tobacco: Never once touched it. Not particularly comfortable around fire (although I am capable of cooking on a barbie)

Oh, and MK, down here, the drinking age is 18.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:49 pm

I don't normally touch any of the stuff.

Tobacco just seems gross to me. I can't stand the way cigarettes smell, and my dad chews tobacco. Stumble upon one of his spit-cups sometime, and see how fast your appetite disappears.

Alcohol's all right. I don't like beer, but I'll do the occasional shot or have the occasional Zima or something. I just don't like to get drunk. I hold too much back all the time to lose the oh-so-tight self-control.

Marijuana...eh. I've tried it before. Didn't really care for the feeling. Plus, it smells absolutely awful. I don't really see the appeal.

Anything harder: I've got a bottle of Paxill that I don't take, a bottle of Codine that I use during particularly annoying fits of insomnia, and probably some other stuff lying around here that's just been collected from various family trips to the hospital. I just don't use any of it.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:06 pm

Being LDS, i don't touch any of that stuff.

I don't really see the benefit of any of it. Smoking kills you. Alcohol kills other. Drugs kill your brain cells.

All the highs you get from them are just superficial to me anyways. I try and be happy without the drugs and alcohol.

As far as prescription drugs are concerned, as long as your taking them as prescribed by a doctor, i don't see the harm in that, as long as you don't abuse them.

TBA

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:58 pm

Drinking.. I'm not a big fan of it. I hate the taste and smell of beer and most drinks. It's rare that I would ever pick up a drink, but when I do, I get something light like a cooler. I don't have a high tolerance for that stuff at all. I don't like going to the bar because I really don't like most of the people that you would meet there and you have absolutely no control of who goes in and out of that bar. I prefer to have social gatherings in the privacy of my own home. Not that there's anything wrong with going to a bar and I do not have anything against those who do. It's just a personal preferance.

Tobacco. It's a touchy issue to me. It killed my grandfather. My dad has been smoking for most of his life and has never ever been able to quit successfully. Tobacco is a very powerful thing and it destroys lives. I don't think it should be outlawed, but I don't think smoking should be allowed in public places. In Alberta, we do have an anti-smoking law where this is inforced. Needless to say, I've never smoked a cigarette a day in my life.

Pot.. I'm completely against it and I don't think it should ever be legalized. It destroyed two members of my family, so my family is well aware of how destructive it can be. And besides, if you're going in for major surgery, do you want your doctor to be under the influence?

I stay away from alchol, drugs and gambling because there is a weakness in my family that makes us suseptable to addictions. I'll admit that there's one drug that I'm addicted to. That drug is caffeine. I'm so hooked on it that I go through withdrawls without it. Coke says that they put caffeine in their products to enhance the taste. I think they're full of BS. I think they put caffeine in their products to get people addicted. If you go to A&W, they sell caffeine free root beer and I can't tell a difference in the taste between that and other caffeine filled root beers.

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:29 am

RoastedTwinkies wrote:And besides, if you're going in for major surgery, do you want your doctor to be under the influence?
I can see the points in the rest of your post, but I do have to argue this line I quoted. I think that is a really bad analogy, of course no one would want that, or have anybody working any job in any altered state of mind. I don't see how that helps your arguement of not wanting pot to be legal. Drinking is legal at a certain age, yet you don't see people going to work drunk. Same thing for pot, you wouldn't just be able to go into your job high. I just don't see how that arguement really supports your opinion on that.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(