Why, oh why, all the sequels!?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:44 pm

Okay...The Ring 2 and the 4th Harry Potter movie I expected to see there, but all those other movies just don't strike me as needing sequels. At All. A friend of mine speculated once that the reason Hollywood is making so many sequels to movies is because they are running out of ideas. I have to agree with him.

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:20 pm

jupiter23 wrote:Okay...The Ring 2 and the 4th Harry Potter movie I expected to see there, but all those other movies just don't strike me as needing sequels. At All. A friend of mine speculated once that the reason Hollywood is making so many sequels to movies is because they are running out of ideas. I have to agree with him.
That's a good theory. Lately, I think movies have been getting crappier and crappier. That would explain a lot. Or perhaps, maybe it's just me.

Tyra
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Tyra » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:03 am

2 movies' release dates had changed: the Legend of Zorro & the Devil's rejects. Go to page 5 for the complete list of sequels of 2005.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:42 am

I've been seeing the commercials for Ring 2..and I'm not sure. It just doesn't look as...cool and scary as the first one. The first one scared the bejeezus out of me. (Seriously, I couldn't sleep alone or get to sleep easily for like a week afterwards) But the second one just doesn't look that scary. But chances are,i'll end up renting it with mom during the summer. (We watched the first one together XD)

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:35 am

I heard something that Episode III will be the first star wars that will be PG-13.

ugh... am I the only one who thinks all his workers are suck-ups?
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Tyra
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Tyra » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:06 pm

i haven't seen The Ring but the sequel looks bad. When I went to see Constantine I saw the previews. I'm like what the hell a tape?

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:00 am

Tyra wrote:i haven't seen The Ring but the sequel looks bad. When I went to see Constantine I saw the previews. I'm like what the hell a tape?
*blink* ....sweetie, the original is centered AROUND a tape. That's not any different between the sequel and the first one. It's all ABOUT the tape. The point of curse is that you watch the tape, and you die seven days later.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Jed-kun
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jed-kun » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:16 am

Sorry to veer off of the current topic of The Ring (2), but I was looking up X-3 stuff and noticed that there were new project projections out for 2006 & 2007. Particularly the Punisher 2, Hulk 2 and Spider-Man 3 movies caught my eye. I saw "The Punisher" and I thought that it was a B movie at best... at VERY best. "The Hulk" I didn't see, so I can't judge, but I heard that it did poorly. The "Spider-man" movies seem to be doing well, but the second one was the worst movie I've ever seen (and I've seen Xanadu) and the only thing that saved it IMO was the special effects.

So, my question is why would you make sequels to movies that did so poorly (excluding the craptacular "Spider-man2")?

Click me, I'm the source of this post, woohoo!
Nothing sucks like a Jed-kun - The "sloganize" web site.

(After Scott shoots Logan through a window)
Beast: What's this all about?
Emma: What do you think? Superpowers, a scintillating wit and the best body money can buy... and I still rate below a corpse. ::storms off in a huff::
- from Astonishing X-men #1

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:36 am

Re: Ring 2

The Ring Franchise actually was when VHS was still pretty much new--the book was written in 1991. And, according to the books, you don't just have to watch the tape to die from it.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:30 pm

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:Re: Ring 2

The Ring Franchise actually was when VHS was still pretty much new--the book was written in 1991. And, according to the books, you don't just have to watch the tape to die from it.
But we're not discussing the books. We're discussing the movies. Therefore, it's all about the videotape and the curse that goes with it.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:11 am

Tiff wrote:
Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:Re: Ring 2

But we're not discussing the books. We're discussing the movies. Therefore, it's all about the videotape and the curse that goes with it.
Ah well. I'm not getting my hopes up too high on this one anyway (as it's original and has little screen time for Samara), but it is directed by Hideo Nakata, so it should be decent. Incidentally, Nakata also directed Ringu 2, which is a completely different movie that concentrates mainly on Mai and Yoichi.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:29 am

Big BUMP of Bumpness just for another review...

Grease 2

"Principal McGee, I've missed my last two periods!"
"Don't worry, I'm sure you can make them up."

Grease is a classic of the teen movie genre. It gave the oft-told boy-meets-girl-etc story a shot in the arm and featured some catchy as hell songs while it was at it. Indeed, 27 years later, Grease is still the word when it comes to teen romance. Love it or hate it, it stands out from the movies that were to follow

The same, however, cannot be said for Grease 2. Grease 2 all but began the appalling trend which has resulted in this very thread, with little new to the story. In fact, the only things going for it are the few catchy songs, some appealing motorcycle stunts and the reappearances of the Principal, Coach Calhoun, Eugene and Frenchy.

The plot concerns Sandy's British cousin Michael (Maxwell Caulfield), as he transfers to Rydell. While there, he catches the eye of the Pink Ladies' new leader, Stephanie Zinone (Michelle Pfeiffer). However, there's a code which states that all Pink Ladies are T-Bird Chicks, and really, she wants someone "cool" anyway. Now, in the time between Grease and this, cars have gone out and motorcycles have come in, so to impress her, Michael secretly learns how to ride and subsequently wows everyone by donning a helmet and goggles (and pwning this movie's version of the Scorpions). Of course, he succeeds in impressing Stephanie, but then realises she still might not like him for being Michael.

The problems begin with the title--where, instead of the famed animated sequence that explained to us that Grease was the word, we get what has to be the world's biggest song-and-dance number (well, at least outside of a Bollywood film). And it lacks the spark of Frankie Valli's song. In fact, it is laughably bad (as are most of the other songs). The rest of the songs range from bizarre (Reproduction and Cool Rider, the latter of which has Pfeiffer straddling a ladder) to rather sweet (Love Will Turn Back the Hands of Time).

Then there's the bizarre continuity. Both groups are populated by entirely new members, but we never learn how the torch is passed. Was Kenickie a junior or something (he certainly would have been next in line)? Unfortunately, none of them are as descript as Danny or Kenickie, and the only one that really shows much character (the new leader Johnny) is a bit of a bastard, really. The new Ladies are also nothing like the old ones (and Frenchy is never shown with them, although everything about her--save for her hair--is pink). Fortunately, Didi Conn bows out early on

Although all you Grease fans may end up seeing it some day, it's really not something to look forward to--except if you want to hear a song that mentions stamens, pistles and menstruation in several different verses. Also, all you Vampiure Hunter D fans might want to note Pamela Segall Adlon (Leila) appearing as Pink Lady Paulette's younger sister Delores.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Hobbes » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:28 am

Jed-kun:Trust me, you don't wanna see 'Hulk'. I was watching at my momma's house and I stopped watching it half-way through. About other sequels, there's usually no point.The only good ones I've seen are Toy Story 2 and Spider-Man 2. Disney sequels make my soul cry. The Little Mermaid 2 and that Beauty and the Beast thing...those will haunt me forever. Don't even get me started on the tragedy that was 'Enchanted Christmas.'
I AM YOUR LOVE-LOVE GODDESS B[BLEEP]ES!
-Aino Minako from Suburban Senshi

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Uh, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
-Michael Scott, The Office

Tyra
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Tyra » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:53 am

I thought Cheaper by the dozen 2 only started filming this summer or something...but wow it's scheduled to be in theaters Dec. 21st. I updated the 2005 sequels list (see page 5). I've already started checking for next year.

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:29 pm

Hobbes wrote:Jed-kun:Trust me, you don't wanna see 'Hulk'. I was watching at my momma's house and I stopped watching it half-way through. About other sequels, there's usually no point.The only good ones I've seen are Toy Story 2 and Spider-Man 2. Disney sequels make my soul cry. The Little Mermaid 2 and that Beauty and the Beast thing...those will haunt me forever. Don't even get me started on the tragedy that was 'Enchanted Christmas.'
I think I'm the only person in the world who actually liked The Hulk. :shock: But I did. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. Then again, I'm a weirdo I guess... because I didn't really like the first Spider-man, and I absolutely HATED Spider-man 2. On a side note, I love Jennifer Connelly though. Hate Kirsten Dunst, all she does is run around in a wet t-shirt and call it acting.
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

MollyNephlite_Fan
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by MollyNephlite_Fan » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:25 pm

Worst Sequels Ever

The Land Before Time 2-uh...what is it now?: Honestly! The first one was sad and moving, and there weren't songs. They had a journey and they completed it. Soon, there was the land before time seven! eleven! and eventually they just called them "big freeze" and didn't put a # at the end because they knew how embarrasing it was! this is by far the worst ever!

Pocahontas 2: Can someone say awful? I mean I know that in true american history she is in love with John Ralph and John Smith is only a friend, but in the first movie her and John Smith were so in love and then she just throws it away. So sad.

The Little Mermaid 2: First, what? She wants to be a mermaid! So unlike her mother. Eehehehe. Second, they blocked her off from the ocean? Why not just tell your daughter you used to be a mermaid? Thrid, Ursla's crazy sister? Fourth, okay Ariel's dad, there was a rainbow in the last movie we don't need another one.

Peter Pan 2: No comment

Miss Congeniality (yeah, I can't spell): Okay, this one would have been great if she hadn't broken up with her boyfriend at the beginning. That guy was so cute.

I'm sure there are many more sequels that suck, but these are pretty bad.

Sequels I don't find that bad

The Lion King 2 Simba's Pride: This movie is only good because the songs are awesome. My sisters and I all sing them. But they made Simba so hate-able! Mr. I-have-to-follow-my-pop's-footsteps. He was so mean and unfair!

The Rescurers Down Under: This move was great! Almost better then the first!

Scary Movie 2 and 3: Scary Movie 2 was better then 1 and 3 was better then 2. They all made me laugh really hard.

Batman Returns: Batman 2 was okay, 3 wasn't, and 4 was okay. Of course the first one with Jack Nickelson and Micheal Keaton was the best, but the second and fourth were pretty good.

Spider-Man 2: I actually cried. I loved it.

Tyra
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Sequels 2006

Post by Tyra » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:51 am

2002: 15 sequels
2003: 17 sequels
2004: 17 sequels *click here for list*
2005: 14 sequels *click here for list*

2006: Total: 17 sequels

Here's the list of sequels (prequels not included) scheduled to release in 2006:

~January~

20th: Underworld: Evolution
27th: Big Momma's House 2

~February~

10th: Final Destination 3

~March~

31st: Basic Instinct 2: Risk Addiction
31st: Ice Age 2: The Meltdown

~April~

14th: Scary Movie 4

~May~

5th: Mission: Impossible III
26th: X-Men: The Last Stand

~June~

16th: The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
16th: Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties

~July~

7th: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
21st: Clerks II

~September~

22nd: Jackass: Number Two

~October~

13th: The Grudge 2
27th: Saw III

~November~

3rd: Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause

~December~

1st: National Lampoon's Van Wilder: The Rise of Taj

*list last updated: Oct. 13th 2006*
Last edited by Tyra on Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:01 am, edited 19 times in total.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:37 am

...Garfield actually earned its own sequel? You've GOT to be kidding. -_-

And Scary Movie 4? When will it end?

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:56 am

Anybody hear about Bambi 2 lately? Ugggh. It's not even a part two, it's more like a 1 1/2, but Bambi 1 1/2 is just plain stupid. But wait, so does Bambi 2. -__-

As for Scary Movie 4....I heard it has more references to superhero movies and Lord of the Rings than actual horror movies. My gosh. That's all I can say.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:23 am

SeiUsa wrote:Anybody hear about Bambi 2 lately? Ugggh. It's not even a part two, it's more like a 1 1/2, but Bambi 1 1/2 is just plain stupid. But wait, so does Bambi 2. -__-
....WTF? What's it about, Bambi's kid? Oh, god, please say it's not about Bambi's kid. NO MORE DISNEY SEQUELS.

-_- and wtf @ The Santa Clause 3? The first one wasn't even good.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama