Why, oh why, all the sequels!?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:59 pm

ParaKiss_Groupie wrote:But why make several posts saying again and again that you don't like sequels?
A sequel post to complain about sequels. Rather redundant, no?

...I'll stop now...
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

RAPTOR948
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Location: I'd say either planet Shakuras, or Mako-chans appartment.

Post by RAPTOR948 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:37 pm

NameGoesHere wrote:
ParaKiss_Groupie wrote:But why make several posts saying again and again that you don't like sequels?

...I'll stop now...
lol lol lol lol thats funny ^_^ but the sequels explain another chapter of a story, like in SM, if there was only one episode, you would never know if there were more Senshi, and in any comic book, if there was only one issue, you'd never know what happens next. the whole world runs on sequels, feel thankful for all the sequels that are comming out, as they show a character evolve, just like how prequels shows how a character started. in episode 4 of Star Wars, Luke was rollin off the bat, but we wanted to know who his parents were, after episode 5, we found out who his father is, and in episode 6, we saw what defined him different from his father. in episodes 1&2, we saw Anakin, Lukes father, evolve from a child who can ride podracers with great skill, to a young Jedi Padawan, and in episode 3, we'll see him become *imperial music fades in* DARTH VADER! *imperial march theme blares loudly* the whole media runs on sequels, weather you beleive it or not.
I appologize for offending anyone. I regret the wrongs I have commited, and am deeply sorry.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:18 am

Not usually. Most movies are complete stories.

The Land Before Time told a complete story. But we now have a deluge of sequels.

The Neverending Story was complete, with Bastian bringing Fantasia back (although the film never actually tells us how). However, we got The Neverending Story II (which expanded a smaller event from the book) and The Neverending Story III (which is a completely different and utterly unnecessary movie).

In the book [spoiler]Bastian creates Fantasia through his imagination, but is forced by AURYN to lose all his memories in the process[/spoiler]

Sequels are therefore the studio equivalent of The Olsen Twins--ignore them all you want, but there's still enbough of an audience for them to stay around.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:18 pm

There's gonna be a Bambi 2. How horrible is that? It's about Bambi bein' an angsty teenager when his father (the Prince of the Forest) finds a new mate. Let's not mention that nothing like this happened in the book, okay? Let's also not mention that deer aren't exclusive anyway.
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:03 pm

crazydiamond wrote:There's gonna be a Bambi 2. How horrible is that? It's about Bambi bein' an angsty teenager when his father (the Prince of the Forest) finds a new mate. Let's not mention that nothing like this happened in the book, okay? Let's also not mention that deer aren't exclusive anyway.
Now THAT's a disturbing thought for a sequel.

o.O;;;; is Bambi going to wear earrings ? Or boots o.O;;;;; ? Or smoke crack ?

Huh, sorry for those, lol, but I just loved Bambi as it was lol.
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

Artemis
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Artemis » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:07 pm

Akarui Kibuno wrote:o.O;;;; is Bambi going to wear earrings ? Or boots o.O;;;;; ? Or smoke crack ?
XD That just made me burst out laughing.
But...a Bambi sequel??? WTF?? -.-;
Even more than the spacious sky and the sea
My dreams have no limits
I have realized that because I am in love
~Tomizawa Michie, Eien no Melody

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:56 pm

crazydiamond wrote:There's gonna be a Bambi 2. How horrible is that? It's about Bambi bein' an angsty teenager when his father (the Prince of the Forest) finds a new mate. Let's not mention that nothing like this happened in the book, okay? Let's also not mention that deer aren't exclusive anyway.
Where is your source on this? o__O;

EDIT: never mind, found it. Dear...God.

*shudders*

Btw, it's more of a "midquel"....it says on the site I went to that it takes place in the middle of the first movie...which makes sense, becuase he's an adult by the end of it =P
Last edited by Tiff on Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:28 pm

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:The Land Before Time told a complete story. But we now have a deluge of sequels.
I liked the first couple of sequels, personally, but there are way too many.
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

RAPTOR948
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by RAPTOR948 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:02 pm

you made a good point on TLBT, the original was a whole story, and didnt need sequels, as it was good and solid, but after a platoon of sequels, it's about as annoying as a pirate prancing around in a ninja convention.
I appologize for offending anyone. I regret the wrongs I have commited, and am deeply sorry.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:04 pm

RAPTOR948 wrote:you made a good point on TLBT, the original was a whole story, and didnt need sequels, as it was good and solid, but after a platoon of sequels, it's about as annoying as a pirate prancing around in a ninja convention.
ADMIN MODE: You need to please lessen the size of yours words in your signature. They are becoming too large, and somewhat of an eyesore.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

RAPTOR948
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by RAPTOR948 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:18 pm

Tiff wrote:
RAPTOR948 wrote:you made a good point on TLBT, the original was a whole story, and didnt need sequels, as it was good and solid, but after a platoon of sequels, it's about as annoying as a pirate prancing around in a ninja convention.
ADMIN MODE: You need to please lessen the size of yours words in your signature. They are becoming too large, and somewhat of an eyesore.
I hope my current sig works. if not, I could always use blue letters saying WASH ME. just for laughs. lol

Liddy
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Liddy » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:43 pm

Excuse my randomness ^^.....Awww, I remember the Land Before Time movies, Ducky was so cute.

Edit: Wow, I just went through alot of my old Disney movies. I haven't even touched thoses things in ages...they are collecting dust. >_<
Do not be afraid when reason gives way to passion...

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:47 pm

Btw, it's more of a "midquel"....it says on the site I went to that it takes place in the middle of the first movie...which makes sense, becuase he's an adult by the end of it =P
I mentioned that the first time I typed up my post, but wasn't sure if I was right or not, so I took it out, since I was going off the top of my head. That's why there wasn't a source. It was just something I kinda remembered, and thought maybe some people would like to know. Btw, where did you find it? I found mine because on another message board I hang out at, someone posted a site with a list of all the new animated movies/shows that were coming out. I can't remember the name of the page, tho.
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:10 pm

crazydiamond wrote: I mentioned that the first time I typed up my post, but wasn't sure if I was right or not, so I took it out, since I was going off the top of my head. That's why there wasn't a source. It was just something I kinda remembered, and thought maybe some people would like to know. Btw, where did you find it? I found mine because on another message board I hang out at, someone posted a site with a list of all the new animated movies/shows that were coming out. I can't remember the name of the page, tho.
*Shrug* I just typed in for a search on google. I don't remember the exact site.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Tyra
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Tyra » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:27 am

It's not really 'cos I hate sequels some of them are good, some of them aren't. I just like checking how many sequels do hollywood make every year.

So time to look at 2005....

Total: 14 sequels

~February~

18th: The Son of the Mask

~March~

4th: Be Cool
18th: The Ring Two
24th: Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous

~April~

13th: State Property 2: Philly Streets
29th: XXX: State of the Union

~May~

19th: Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith

~July~

22nd: The Devil's Rejects

~August~

12th: Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo

~September~

2nd: The Transporter 2

~October~

28th: Saw 2
28th: The Legend of Zorro

~November~

18th: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

~December~

21st: Cheaper by the Dozen 2
Last edited by Tyra on Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:53 am, edited 5 times in total.

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:33 pm

19th: Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
*prepares for the worst Star Wars movie yet* why did George Lucas focus on Special Effects and leave the plot up to what it seems like a toddler? his first 3 were so good... now he has gone evil.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:16 pm

Tyra wrote: ~November~

18th: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
O_O

*Explodes with glee*Wow, I didn't expect it to be done so soon.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:38 am

Now Harry Potter is something I'm soooooo looking forward too... also, the sixth book, said to come out 16th July or something ?

Teehee, Long Live HP :P
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

KoiNoVash
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by KoiNoVash » Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:49 pm

I am definitly going to see Harry Potter and Star Wars. I figure I have a commitment with Star Wars, I've seen the other 5 so I might as well see episode III.
http://usagicookies.livejournal.com (stalk me, you know you wanna)

Artemis
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Artemis » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:25 pm

Goblet of Fire coming out=extreme happiness from Artemis-chan. XD I'll probably hate Star Wars 3, but I'll see it anyway. ^^;;
Even more than the spacious sky and the sea
My dreams have no limits
I have realized that because I am in love
~Tomizawa Michie, Eien no Melody