Why, oh why, all the sequels!?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Mon May 24, 2004 8:04 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote:
RoastedTwinkies wrote:It's funny. I actually enjoyed Reloaded more than Revolutions. Though I do think they were both pretty bad and the original is totally the best one out of the three.
Here's what the sequal(s) should have been: establish that there's a stalemate--the machines can't attack the humans in the real world, because they can't find them; the humans can't attack the machines in the Matrix because the machines control the programming. Then the One comes along and threatens to ruin the stalemate and give victory to the humans. The machines try some desparate gambit to save their existence, it doesn't work, and you go to whatever finish you want. Simple, no complex plot twists, and you can throw all the action sequences and fights you want in there.

The problem was that the series tried to be everything to all people. Action for some fans, FX for others, SF for others, vague philosophy for others. Which means for 75% of the time, it's not giving you what you want. Not a good way to run a movie.
I think that is a good theory. In both the movies, I think they went far too overboard with the action. Sure, action or anything else is great in moderation, but when there's too much of it, it just gets too overwhelming and overcasts the most important elements of the whole movie.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:10 am

NameGoesHere wrote:
Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:
Lady of the Light wrote:I know that there's a PotC sequel coming out in 2005. It should be interesting, seeing what kind of a plot they can come up for that one....More Captain Jack Sparrow for everyone!
Whoa...I almost thought PotC was Passion of the Christ there. Now THAT would be interesting.
"Passion of the Christ 2: He's Baaaack"

I just can't seem to stop myself. -_-;
Passion of the Christ 2: Payback of the Christ

He's back, and this time, he's really pissed off.

ETA: NFBSK warning. British School Kids should probably stay away.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Tyra
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Tyra » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:41 am

The wait will be a little longer for the Ring's fans, the Ring 2's release date has just been pushed back to 2005.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:40 am

I was in the video library today...they had Starship Troopers 2 (Bad movie), Cruel Intentions 3 and Wild Things 2. I've seen ST2 (twas awful), got out WT2 (I'll watch it this week) and am not sure if I ever really want to see CI3. Wasn't 2 bad enough?
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

mizangelamy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by mizangelamy » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:20 pm

Tyra wrote:
~September~
10th: Resident Evil: Apocalypse
I cant wait for that movie!!! I even saw the 2 previews of it. I have high hopes for it!

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:53 am

Ok...Wild Things 2 was actually an OK movie. I was expecting a retread of the first movie...which it is to a point. But it still had a few tricks up its sleeve (and a few more survivors). I certainly wasn't expecting the ending. But still, if you haven't seen the first movie, do so ASAP.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:50 am

OK, I just this week saw what is apparently the world's second-worst movie: Exorcist II: The Heretic.

The film picks up four years after The Exorcist left off. Regan is now 16 and has dreams about flying away with Pazuzu, which have (along with her mother's worries over the event) put her in therapy with Dr Gene Tuskin (Louise Fletcher, who looks a lot like Ellen Burstyn).

And, as you should know from the first movie, Pazuzu (voice of karen Knapp, who does manage to sound like Mercedes McCambridge) killed Father Merrin (Max von Sydow). Naturally, the Church has launched an inquest into his death, and disciple Father Philip Lamont (Richard Burton) is sent to find out. Somehow, his findings lead him to Regan and Dr Tuskin, and through some weird hypnotic device, he manages to find out all about Pazuzu. Which is quite strange because although Pazuzu was named in the book, he wasn't named in the movie. Anyway, through another dream, Lamont is lead to Africa, where he meets a man named Kokumo (James Earl Jones) and learns something about locusts and their destructive path which has the audience scratching their heads.

Meanwhile, Ennio Morricones score has one longing for Tubular Bells, and director John Boorman only provides a few saving graces--there's some great shots of a locust plague. Oh, and the House makes an appearance (as do the Steps).

And don't worry if you can't figure out who the Heretic is: it's not explained. It's probably some guy at Warners who thought it was going to make money.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:22 am

If you ask me, The Exorsist was a stupid movie to begin with. Not in the least bit scary.
Hellboy 2 comes out sometime in 2006. I'll go see it. It'll rock.
Something I noticed: Before Spiderman 2 came out, my friend and I were all like, "When that comes out, we're going to go see it in the theater!" Then when it did come out, we still had that. We haven't gone and seen it it yet. We were sort of planning on seeing it tomorrow along with The Village, but now that it's been out a while its like, "Well...I *could* go see it in the theater, but you know what, I don't really think I have to." I don't really want to see it anymore. I'm not sure why. My friend's the same way. It like, "yeah, it's probably a good movie and everything, but I think I can wait until it comes out for rental." Has that ever happened to anyone else? You get all riled up about seeing a movie in the theater, and then when it does come out, you think, "well, never mind." Or is that just me?
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:17 pm

There's going to be a Princess Diaries 2. I don't have plans to see it because I thought the original was stupid. I only watched it because Hanson's 'Wake Up' was in it. I was disappointed that they only played the opening chords of the song during the scene when the girl (I forget her name) was looking in the mirror. You have to listen for it carefully or you *will* miss it.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:54 pm

crazydiamond wrote:If you ask me, The Exorsist was a stupid movie to begin with. Not in the least bit scary.
I highly disagree, as the whole concept of it generally creeped the hell outta me. But either way, the sequel sounds...really boring.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:50 pm

There are two kinds of scary: the first is the startling kind of scary you get in movies like Nightmare on Elm Street, where you have the creepy music followed by loud noises and killing. The other kind is the conceptual scary, where you're disturbed on a deep level by what's going on. The Exorcist was this second kind of scary. You've got to be pretty thick-skinned not to be creeped out by what happens.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:58 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote:There are two kinds of scary: the first is the startling kind of scary you get in movies like Nightmare on Elm Street, where you have the creepy music followed by loud noises and killing. The other kind is the conceptual scary, where you're disturbed on a deep level by what's going on. The Exorcist was this second kind of scary. You've got to be pretty thick-skinned not to be creeped out by what happens.
Yes, thank you. That's the point I was trying to reach.

It also creeps me out that that little girl was able to play that role without bursting into nightmares every night, crying and screaming uncontrollably. That's woulda happened to ME o__o;

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:38 pm

highly disagree, as the whole concept of it generally creeped the hell outta me.
There are two kinds of scary: (snip) The other kind is the conceptual scary, where you're disturbed on a deep level by what's going on. (snip) You've got to be pretty thick-skinned not to be creeped out by what happens.
A lot of people I do know are terrified of that movie (my best friend, for one). I don't exactly know why, but I just found it boring (they talked a lot, IMO). Sure, there were some parts that were gross and had the "startle" factor, but I didn't get creeped out at all. I'm not bragging or anything, I can easily see why lots of people thought it was scary on that deep level, but...I didn't. To each their own, tho.
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

Tyra
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Tyra » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:09 am

Good news for Bridget Jones fans, the sequel to Bridget Jones Diary which was originally scheduled to be release in early 2005 has now moved to november 2004.

=> See the first post of page 2 to a list of release date to all the sequels releasing this year.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:06 am

...that's good news?

I think that so far the only sequels I'm willing to accept are sequels to movies based on TV shows. Especially current TV shows. Except I'm not sure whether or not I would go to see a movie labeled Dr Who and the Daleks 3, but that's just because the first one was bad. Except for the Daleks themselves. They were cool.

Oh, and any movie based on Loop, but since Spiral tanked at the box office (and is regarded as poorly as just about every other Ring adaptation out there) and Sadako is well and truly buried (as opposed to being stuck at the bottom of a well for eternity), this seems unlikely. Even if they don't show her face.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:29 pm

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:...that's good news?
Why yes, "for Bridget Jones Fans", JUST as she said.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

mizangelamy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by mizangelamy » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:12 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote:There are two kinds of scary: the first is the startling kind of scary you get in movies like Nightmare on Elm Street, where you have the creepy music followed by loud noises and killing. The other kind is the conceptual scary, where you're disturbed on a deep level by what's going on. The Exorcist was this second kind of scary. You've got to be pretty thick-skinned not to be creeped out by what happens.
Dont remind me of Nightmare on Elm Street I got scared so bad even now Im 17 I still dont wanna watch it. :cry:

Tyra
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Sequels 2004

Post by Tyra » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:32 am

Those are pretty much the final dates......

Big total of 17 sequels in 2004, same than 2003.

~February~

6th: Barbershop 2: Back in Business
27th: Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights

~March~

12th: Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London
26th: Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed

~April~

9th: The Whole Ten Yards
16th: Kill Bill: Vol. 2

~May~

21st: Shrek 2

~June~

4th: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
30th: Spider-Man 2

~July~

23rd: The Bourne Supremacy

~August~

11th: The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement
27th: Super Babies: Baby Geniuses 2

~September~

10th: Resident Evil: Apocalypse

~November~

19th: Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

~December~

8th: Blade: Trinity
10th: Ocean's Twelve
22nd: Meet the Fockers

So far, 13 sequels has been scheduled to release in 2005.

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:19 am

Ugh, that's a lot of sequels. It seems that these directors are running out of ideas. I would much rather see something new and fresh instead of these sequels over and over again.

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:59 am

Tyra wrote: list
Why list sequels that have already come out? It seems rather pointless to mention things like Kill Bill 2 (Which, as I said earlier, is not a sequel. The two movies were originally one movie and split up. That's not a sequel.) Especially since in your last post, you said to see your post on page two for a list.

Also, on the whole "sequel" argument. If you don't like sequels, don't go see them. I really don't understand the point here. If you don't want to see a movie, then don't go see it. But why make several posts saying again and again that you don't like sequels?
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita