Your favorite commercial?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Your favorite commercial?

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:50 am

I remember that a while back, someone posted a topic about the worst/annoying commercials, so I wanted to post a topic about the best commercials.

My favorite commerical ever is the Pampers diapers commercial where they played the song called Forever Young (I don't remember who it's by) in the background and they showed video of a bunch of baby animals with their parents. It was just adorable and I wish they would run that ad again.

Another favorite of mine are the Simpsons CC Lemon commercials that air in Japan. I remember one in particular, where Lisa walks out the door and says 'itekimasu!' (English equivalent would be 'I'm leaving!'), Bart runs out the door and says 'itekimasu!' and then Homer runs out the door and says 'itekimasu!'. Each time someone left, someone forgot something. I haven't seen the commercial in a long time, but I think Bart forgot his homework and Lisa forgot her lunch or something like that. As Homer is leaving, Marge tells him something like 'You forgot your pants!'

It's been several months since I've seen the commercial, so there may be details I may have missed. There were no subtitles, so I've done my best to translate it from what I can remember. You can find the Simpsons CC Lemon commercials at www.japander.com under the "S" section. However, at this time, the Simpsons commercials don't seem to be working.

What's your favorite commercial?

Artemis Lover
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Artemis Lover » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:55 am

I really love the Incredible Edible Egg commercials because they are just SO corny. I also love the Super Bowl commercial with Jimi Hendrix when he was seven and the accordion shop... yea, that one. And the other Super Bowl commercial with the guy who wants to buy some bud light and he puts the dog on his head. I don't watch a great load of TV, so i can't really say.
“See this butt? Yeah. Look at it. LOOK AT MY BUTT. This is all you’re getting. MY BUTT to look at it. Yeah, bet you’re sorry now, aren’t you? You’d like to see my cute fuzzy face, wouldn’t you? But all you’re getting is the BUTT. LOOK AT IT. LOOK AT MY BUTT. Sucker.”
The thing is, Henrietta has—how can I put this? Kind of a big butt. If Henrietta were a celebrity? She’d be J-Lo.
Not that J-Lo has what I would call a big butt. But others have opined that this is so. I think J-Lo has a normal, healthy butt. As does Henrietta.
~Meg Cabot

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:15 am

The commercials that airs frequently during adult swim crack me up. Two in particular:

The Starbucks energy shot drinks...the man gets into the elevator, and there's a band playing behind him.."GLEN! GLEN GLEN GLEN!". They proceed to follow him down the street, talking about how he's going to move up in life. It's hilarious to me, and I walk around singing that damn song all day.

Another is the cell phone commercial with the old lady. She talks complete street slang, and is at this party with a bunch of other old people. Basically, they act like teenagers. That commercial kills me.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:34 am

Do you guys get TD Bank in the US? I completely forgot to mention this commercial! The commercial talks about how only at their bank, you can get a mortgage with both long and short term rates/benefits. In the commercial, a husband and wife keep arguing whether to go short term or long term. The husband keeps saying short, while the wife keeps saying long. Then the wife is at a meeting at work and her cell phone rings. One of her co-workers asks her 'are you gonna get that?' and she replies 'ha! no'

That commercial really cracks me up XD

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:46 am

RoastedTwinkies wrote:Do you guys get TD Bank in the US? I completely forgot to mention this commercial! The commercial talks about how only at their bank, you can get a mortgage with both long and short term rates/benefits. In the commercial, a husband and wife keep arguing whether to go short term or long term. The husband keeps saying short, while the wife keeps saying long. Then the wife is at a meeting at work and her cell phone rings. One of her co-workers asks her 'are you gonna get that?' and she replies 'ha! no'

That commercial really cracks me up XD
*thinks*

*waits*

*thinks more*

*waits more*

I don't get it. o_0

I don't think I have a favourite commercial anymore. I've stopped watching TV, because I felt my brain being eviscerated (I love that word. Eviscerated. Such a fun word. It's a shame I can't use it more often. Ooh, shiny.) Though, I can remember an old commercial that I loved. Rachel Leigh Cook (whom I adore) was dressed in this casual outfit in a kitchen, with a frying pan and an egg. "This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs." And she smashes the egg. Then she starts destroying the kitchen, screaming "And your family! And your friends!" and lots of other stuff. It was a really powerful commercial, and would sound so much better if it weren't almost 3 in the morning and coming from a sleep-deprived lunatic. I'll definitely edit this post when I'm grammaticaly awake.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:48 am

ParaKiss_Groupie wrote:
I don't get it. o_0

Rachel Leigh Cook (whom I adore) was dressed in this casual outfit in a kitchen, with a frying pan and an egg. "This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs." And she smashes the egg. Then she starts destroying the kitchen, screaming "And your family! And your friends!" and lots of other stuff. It was a really powerful commercial, and would sound so much better if it weren't almost 3 in the morning and coming from a sleep-deprived lunatic. I'll definitely edit this post when I'm grammaticaly awake.
I don't, either O_o;

and OMFG. I remember that commercial. I had no idea that was Rachel Leigh Cook, though....she's pretty cool. I liked that commercial, too. And at the end, she says, "...Any questions?"

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:59 am

My parents taped this series of dinosaur specials narrated by Walter Cronkite for me back when I was much younger. They taped the commercials too, including one I loved. It was a commercial for a TV or something, and used footage from The Birds. It started with the line "one day, a few thousand birds decided that they don't like people" *bird attack footage* "really don't like people" *more birds attacking* and then there was the rest of the commercial. This commercial must've aired at least 10 times during the four parts of the dinosaur special, and I watched every one...

And the Meow Mix one where someone hears the cat singing the meow song and starts singing it and people they pass start singing it, until finally you see two dogs. One turns to the other and says "Great. Now that song's going to be in my head all day!" I loved it.
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:17 am

Tiff wrote:
ParaKiss_Groupie wrote:
I don't get it. o_0
I don't, either O_o;
What part doncha get? Husband wants short term and wife wants long term benefits on their mortgage. The point? TD Bank offers mortgage loans that offer both long and short term benefits that other banks don't offer. With other banks, it's either short term or long term, but you can't pick both. The couple was with 'the other bank' and that's why they were arguing. I found it funny.

EDIT: I've never seen that Rachel Leigh Cook commercial ;_;

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:28 am

RoastedTwinkies wrote:
What part doncha get? Husband wants short term and wife wants long term benefits on their mortgage. The point? TD Bank offers mortgage loans that offer both long and short term benefits that other banks don't offer. With other banks, it's either short term or long term, but you can't pick both. The couple was with 'the other bank' and that's why they were arguing. I found it funny.

...I just..don't find it funny..o_O; I really don't see the punchline or anything.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:23 am

Tiff wrote:...I just..don't find it funny..o_O; I really don't see the punchline or anything.
I guess I just have an odd sense of humor. Anyways, back on topic ^_^

I also think the Molson Canadian beer commercials are great too. Have you guys seen those? I forget how the whole speech goes again, so I'll have to go and dig it up somewhere.

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:03 am

That commercial for LendingTree.com:

We have a family man who's bragging about his rich lifestyle (including owning an SUV and a membership for the country club), and finally, he comes clean:

"How can I afford all of this? I'm in debt, up to my eyeballs! I can barely pay my finance charges. Somebody help me..."

All while he is smiling!

I wish I should have got it on tape.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:07 am

The spongemonkey commercials.

yes, I like those commercials, but that comes from me frequently visiting rathergood.com

Others:

The rightguard commercials with Jim Breuer in them. those are just funny... XD
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:01 am

I forgot to mention the Juicy Fruit commercials with the guy singing the the jingle, and playing it on his guitar and stuff. It's hilarious how someone always smashes his guitar every time. I love those commercials.

KoiNoVash
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by KoiNoVash » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:24 am

A commercial from germany for ring tones is my favorite. A man in a convience store has a huge line, while waiting for the next customer he smashes a cockroach and then looks up to find that the next customer is a giant cockroach. The man looks really frightened when suddenly his cellphone goes off and the cockroach and everyone in the store starts dancing along with it. The man answers the phone, the cockroach looks really angry right now, and the man says into the phone "Call me again." Cracks me up ^.^
http://usagicookies.livejournal.com (stalk me, you know you wanna)

Ni-ban Neko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Ni-ban Neko » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:59 am

I have a few favorite commercials:

- The ING banking commercial with all the dollar bills in a guy's apartment - some are trying to eat breakfast, some are doing aerobics, things like that.

- The Friskies cat food commercials where you see a wild animal, like a gazelle, standing in the middle of a savanna in Africa. There's narration along the lines of Wild Kingdom, a little roar, and then you see a house cat chasing the animal.

- the MasterCard commercials with the continuing story of Badger the lost dog.
Jen Graña ~ Ni-ban Neko
LiveJournal ~ tw.net
~thank you for the avatar, Secret Santa <3~

--

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:19 pm

yes, the TD Bank commercial is funny ^_^. You have to see it to get it.

My favorite Molsen beer commercial was the one from a few years ago with the Canadian guy who's working at the office and the American guy's being a jerk. I thnk what he said was "So I hear you're from Canada EH! How's the weather up their" :Canadian guy just trying to smile and bear it: "I thought the only things they had up there were lumberjacks and curlers." :bunch of stuff I can't remember: "Seriously though, do you have running water? Nuu Doot Aboot it!" Then the Canadian guys grabs the American guys shirt and pulls it over is head and proceeds the kick the shite out of him.

Another is this Kit Kat bar with the male model saying how hard his work is. "You have to make a pouty sexy face that's a little bad. Not bad... ...Dangerous!"
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:56 pm

peachvampiress wrote:My favorite Molsen beer commercial was the one from a few years ago with the Canadian guy who's working at the office and the American guy's being a jerk. I thnk what he said was "So I hear you're from Canada EH! How's the weather up their" :Canadian guy just trying to smile and bear it: "I thought the only things they had up there were lumberjacks and curlers." :bunch of stuff I can't remember: "Seriously though, do you have running water? Nuu Doot Aboot it!" Then the Canadian guys grabs the American guys shirt and pulls it over is head and proceeds the kick the shite out of him.
Ah, I remember that commercial! That commercial was hilarious!

Artemis
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Artemis » Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:29 pm

My favorte-est commercial was an Oreo commercial that played a couple years ago for the kind that you dunk in milk and turns the milk red. It was this little kid dunking an Oreo and singing, "My milk is red! It's red with swirls! Because I dunk it, dunk dunk dunk dunk it! Who made the milk red? Yo, I did." XD It was so corny, but I love it. I also love the Bud commercial that Artemis Lover mentioned. "We be jammin!" :lol:
Even more than the spacious sky and the sea
My dreams have no limits
I have realized that because I am in love
~Tomizawa Michie, Eien no Melody

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:30 pm

KoiNoVash wrote:A commercial from germany for ring tones is my favorite. A man in a convience store has a huge line, while waiting for the next customer he smashes a cockroach and then looks up to find that the next customer is a giant cockroach. The man looks really frightened when suddenly his cellphone goes off and the cockroach and everyone in the store starts dancing along with it. The man answers the phone, the cockroach looks really angry right now, and the man says into the phone "Call me again." Cracks me up ^.^
'

There's a german commercial I saw online that cracked me up. This wholesome-looking family gets into their minivan, smiling, and they turn on their stereo. From the speakers blasts this American song (which I don't remember the name of or who sings it) with the lyrics "I wanna fuck you up the ass!" over and over. They start bobbing their heads to it, still smiling. As they drive off, a voiceover says "Learn English!" It's hilarious.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:47 pm

RoastedTwinkies wrote:
Tiff wrote:
ParaKiss_Groupie wrote:
I don't get it. o_0
I don't, either O_o;

But where does the phone come in? I mean, that is the punchline, right? She doesn't take the call... I don't see what that has to do with, well, anything.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita