The Movie Review Thread

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:18 am

Okay. I just came back from The Prisoner of Azkaban, and here goes.

[spoiler]
I really enjoyed the actors/actresses yet again. Emma Thompson surprised me, as I figured she'd make a lousy Trelawney, but she actually portrayed her excellently. Lupin disappointed me a bit, as I expected him to be..I dunno..cooler ^^; I was also a bit surprised by Sirius Black. His insanity was played excellently.

The dementors were perfect. Absolutely perfect.

However, I was very, very disappointed with some of the major plot devices they left out.
1) Hermione's cat. Crookshanks KNEW Scabbers was man; that's why he attacked him all the time. They never explain that. It's very important, becuase it leads you to understand why Crookshanks did what it did.
2) The map. Why in bloody hell didn't they bother to explain who moony, padfoot, prongs, wormtail were? Isn't it kind of important to know who the hell these people were?!
3) Adding on to number 2....If one knows who prongs is, then one can understand why Harry's Patronus took on the form of a stag. They never explain that, either. If you haven't read the book, you're kinda left going "...Okay..Why is it a deer? o_O;" (Which is pretty much what poor Derek said. I had to explain nearly all that was going on).
4) Snape's outburst toward the end. In the book, you understand WHY Snape wants Sirius back in Azkaban so badly..he hates him becuase of a teenage grudge. They never explain that, either. so instead, Snape is just made out to be some sort of random villainous character. In the book, he also claims that Harry and Hermione are lying, and then storms in screaming at them when he discovers Sirius is gone. In the movie, they just sort of...forgot about him after he gets knocked out in the woods o_O;

The beginning scene was a bit rushed, IMO. You barely understand what's going on. They don't really explain who Marge IS, you just sort of guess. And Harry barely flashes the Hogsmeade permission slip, so one doesn't really know what it is he wants his Uncle to sign. By the time Harry gets on the Knight Bus, your head is kind of spinning.

It's an enjoyable movie in terms of acting and special effects, but not a very good book-to-movie adaptation. A movie based on a book should make sure the audience doesn't HAVE to read the book to understand what's going on. Sadly, they didn't do a good job doing so. Derek had to ask me about 1,000 questions, and he plainly said to me at the end, "Unless I read the book, I'm left out of what's going on!" And he's absolutely right. Too many important facts were left out, and it seems to me that they invest far too much time on pointless, drawn-out scenes (like the Knightbus. Come on. That was obvious pandering to special effects) and not enough time on what really matters in the story.

So, to someone who has read the book and will be able to fill in the plot holes...it's a great movie. To someone who has never read the book..it will be quite the confusing film. I sincerely hope this doesn't become a trend, becuase the 4th and 5th books become more and more complex.

[/spoiler]

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:18 am

Excellent points Tiff!

Though [spoiler]about the Dementors, they aren't that good, cause they aren't supposed to be "flying" . I remember the Quidditch game in the book where Draco disguises himself as a Dementor. Well, Dementors rather... err... how do you say, slide ^^;; ? Or something like that. And I found it pretty... weird to see Harry going higher in the sky like that... o.O;;;;;

Bwah, your final point is good anyway. To those who haven't read a book, it's just too confusing ^^;; [/spoiler]
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:20 am

Akarui Kibuno wrote:Excellent points Tiff!

Though [spoiler]about the Dementors, they aren't that good, cause they aren't supposed to be "flying" . I remember the Quidditch game in the book where Draco disguises himself as a Dementor. Well, Dementors rather... err... how do you say, slide ^^;; ? Or something like that. And I found it pretty... weird to see Harry going higher in the sky like that... o.O;;;;; [/spoiler]
[spoiler]Glide, I think, is the word used in HP5. If you've ever seen a nun walk, same thing. ^_^ Also, in the book it was simply their presence that affected Harry, but in the movie they had to fly up to him and suck his face. That bothered me too. By that logic, you could just run away.[/spoiler]
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:42 am

peachvampiress wrote:Unfortunately, most directors just use a popular books name to promote their crappy movie version of said book just so they can earn a profit off the hard work of the author.

-_-; it makes me sick in an avian flu kind of way.

And what about The Spy Who Loved Me, where Fleming said that no adaptation was to be made? They only used the title for that one.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:22 pm

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
And what about The Spy Who Loved Me, where Fleming said that no adaptation was to be made? They only used the title for that one.
0__o I have no idea what you're refering to.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:10 pm

peachvampiress wrote:Jusenkyo no Pikachu
0__o I have no idea what you're refering to.
James Bond book and movie. It was the 10th Bond film to be released, but the book was torn to shreds by critics (instead of being in Bond's point of view, it was in the P.O.V. of the 'Bond Girl', so to speak). Thus, embarrased by the wretched review, he ordered that no adaptation be made, as Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:33 pm

Starscream
James Bond book and movie. It was the 10th Bond film to be released, but the book was torn to shreds by critics (instead of being in Bond's point of view, it was in the P.O.V. of the 'Bond Girl', so to speak). Thus, embarrased by the wretched review, he ordered that no adaptation be made, as Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote.
Okay, thanks. I've never watched a Bond Film, I didn't even know there were books.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:42 am

Bionicle: Mask of Light

Never mind how long Bionicle has been around for, I had absolutely no clue what the franchise was until I saw this movie a few weeks ago. Now I have a Rahkshi and a Vahki. No, I do not have that much of a life...yet.

The plot (for those of you who still have no clue what I'm on about) concerns a group of beings called the Matorans, who live on the island Mata-Nui (named after the Great Spirit that bore them there). The Matorans are largely civilian, although six of them wear powerful kanohi masks. These special six are called Toas, and once they get rid of their powers, they become the wise and old Turagas.

Anyway, two young Matorans (Guard Captain Jaller and Chronicler Takua) are off on some weird adventure when they discover a Kanohi mask hidden in a river of lava. They take it to Turaga Vakama (not before losing a match that is a weird variant on Lacrosse called Kohlii), and he discovers that it is to be worn by the 7th Toa, Takanuva.

Of course, nothing in fantasy is ever nice and rosy, and we have to have a baddie. This role is fulfilled by Mata Nui's evil brother Makuta, who'll stop at nothing to destroy our two heroes. And the Toas. And probably the Turagas too.

As far as movie length commercials go, this isn't too bad, although it pales in comparison to TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE. The computer animation in its own right is at about the same level as A BUG'S LIFE, and the story should appeal easy to the small fry.

The only major problem is that once it reaches the end, it falls apart completely. The major discovery comes as no surprise and the dead characters don't stay dead. And it's confusing too.

But overall, it should tide the littlies over until they start up on the Harry Potter books. And it'll keep the parents interested too.

Bionicle 2: Legends of Metru-Nui

And, about a week and two sets after my introduction to the legend of the Bionicle, I sat down to watch this sequel. Or prequel, as it should be more accurately called.

Fortunately, this movie cleared a lot up for me (the poor soul left scratching his head after the first movie). It details the journey of Toa Vakama, once a mask-maker, as Makuta attempts to get his grubby paws on the Mask of Time, a mask which will enable the wearer to control the world.

This movie is a vast improvement on MASK OF LIGHT in almost every respect--the animation, if not better, is shinier (plus we get a cool sequence in a sea), and dead characters stay dead. However, we do get a few plot holes (I for one don't recall Makuta destroying Metru-Nui, so why did the Matorans split up?) and I have to wonder whether or not the Matorans from Nokama's Metru are all female.

I also hope to see Bionicle 3 when that comes out next year
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:32 pm

yet another thing into my obsession of anything south park.

Team America: World Police

[spoiler]this pretty much like south park, offends everything at the exact same time. 8) VERY funny, and it uses a lot of stuff that is done in South Park. Kim Jong Il actually uses CARTMAN lines in the movie. The infamous puppet sex scene is so ******* disgusting it's funny. *shudder* It's really offensive to almost anyone in that scene. Plus, in one scene the new guy goes into a bar, listens to about a speech about the 3 people in the world - dicks, pussys, and asshole. *no offense quoting the lines* immeditaly following, the character starts throwing up, and eventually passes out in a pool of his own barf. XD And whenever it shows the team's vehicles moving this is the background music: AMERICA, FUCK YA!!! :lol: :lol: They destroy the pyramids and the sphinx in one scene, and also destroy paris, but that scene to me is rushed.

Team America's opponents are: Terrorists, which are these muslim guys with long beards and turbans. fairly stereotypical. and Kim Jong Il. when he breaks out into song, you can't help but laugh, espically with the Elmer Fudd accent. "I'm so ronery... I'm so ronery, I'm so arone..." :lol: BTW, Kim Jong Ill is also a cockroach
Also, the Film Actors Giled, or F.A.G. for short. leading to a lot of insulting lines. "So you will remember, that's the FAG way." Micheal Moore also suicide bombs team america's base, which is Mt. Rushmore. Then there's Matt Damon always repeating his name. And Alec Baldwin is the leader, and they want to solve things peacefully. but, we all know that america's only solution is violence so... 8) *end sarcasm*[/spoiler]

To see the movie-
If you are a fan of south park you will like it.
It's better than the south park movie, IMO.
If you don't care being offended, see it.
If you like comedy... SEE IT.

Adam's review of Team America.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:42 pm

I believe I will wait on Team America to come out on DVD. My boyfriend and I thought about going to see it, but decided we had better things to do.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:28 pm

jupiter23 wrote:I believe I will wait on Team America to come out on DVD. My boyfriend and I thought about going to see it, but decided we had better things to do.
We have really small theaters by my school (only one or two movies at a time, but they're movies found at huge theaters), and Team America is showing at one of them. However, I <3 Huckabees is also showing there, so I'll be seeing that one instead. Team America can wait until DVD.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:05 am

Thunderbirds Are Go

In 1966, ITC Entertainment was running high on the success of the classic puppet show, Thunderbirds. The series, which only ran for 39 episodes, went on to become quite possibly one of the most popular shows the UK has ever produced, getting re-run somewhere in the world at any given time. It was created by Gerry and Sylvia Anderson, who were at the time noted for their techniques of Supermarionation, which kept the show ahead of its time.

Each episode dealt with the rescue attempts of International Rescue, whose identities are only ever revealed to us. The core group--who piloted the ships of the title--were the Tracy family of Jeff and his sons Scott, Alan, Virgil, Gordon and John. They live on a remote island with scientist Brains (alias Hiram Hackenbacker), and Jeff's old friend Kyrano. In the first episode, Kyrano's daughter, Tin-Tin, flies over to join her father. Assisting IR is their London agent, the epitome of pink lovers, Lady Penelope Creighton Ward and her chauffeur Aloysius "Nosey" Parker--who drive around in a pink Rolls-Royce named FAB1 that has more gadgets than Q could ever dream of. And there were explosions--lots and lots of big beautiful explosions.

In the movie, a manned mission to Mars is sabotaged by Kyrano's brother, The Hood. When the mission first goes wrong, it is decided that International Rescue should be present at the next launch to ensure a successful mission. However, The Hood gets aboard again and the Tracy boys are called into action.

First, the good news: once again, the Andersons prove themselves masters of puppetry and explosions...although why a helicopter explodes on water is quite beyond me. Anyone got any suggestions? Plus, this time the strings aren't visible.

And now the bad news: for all the excitement at the climax, we don't have enough drama to sustain it. There is not a single reason given why the launch unit screws up (other than for the purpose of putting our heroes into action), and Lady Penelope only really shows up to give a guy a St Christopher and put FAB1 on water. About the only sequence that will stick in your mind is a psychedelic (and sci-fi) dream sequence/music video that not only defies the laws of physics but also features puppet versions of Cliff Richard and the Shadows. Oh, and the marching band playing the music over the end credits.

Thunderbird 6

Despite opening to good reviews, neither of the two original Thunderbirds movies fared well at the cinema. Which is strange because this one is actually the better of the two.

The plot this time around involves a new anti-gravity airship that is due to take off for a maiden voyage around the world. To show it off, Lady Penelope is invited and decides to take Parker, Alan and Tin-Tin along for the ride. But before the flight can get off the ground, the entire crew is killed and their identities assumed by a group of people working for the Black Phantom, who wants to take over Tracy Island. Meanwhile, Brains is trying to develop a new Thunderbird.

With this one, I feel like I'm sitting in a hot tub--this is the film any Thunderbirds fan will want. Although the first hour or so is almost all talk, the movie still sustains the drama throughout, resulting in an amazing sequence involving two Thunderbirds and a Tiger Moth. Oh, and a BIG explosion.

The only real loss is the absence of a variant of the original opening credits, but it fortunately does not interfere with the pacing one bit and provides a nice opportunity to show off Skyship One.

(cont'd below)
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:02 am

Thunderbirds

OK, I think this qualifies for the title of "worst movie I've seen this year".

As you'll gather from my above posts, I am quite a fan of the show. So when this movie remake was first announced, I was quite excited by the prospect of getting a new generation of Thunderbirds fans.

That excitement quickly turned to horror when I found out what the movie was actually going to be like. And so I dreaded the date when I would finally end up sitting through this movie.

With the plot, we get the movie's biggest offence. The Tracy Boys are all there, but this time Jeff (Bill Paxton) flies on missions while Alan is still in school. This, of course, has given Alan a major inferiority complex as he is actually at boarding school with Brains' son Fermat (who also stutters).

However, during a rescue operation, a man planted by The Hood (Ben Kingsley) shoots the conductive goo found in transistors onto Thunderbird 1. This enables The Hood (whose real name is given) to trap the Tracys on Thunderbird 5 while he robs the Bank of London. Of course, Alan, Fermat, Tin-Tin, Lady P (Sophia Myles) and Parker (Ron Cook, sporting a neat set of sunnies in his cap) manage to escape his plans completely.

Sadly, we get little to no resemblence to the TV show, apart from the island, the ships (except for FAB1, which is a Ford Thunderbird), the costumes and the very wooden acting. Oh, the opening tune is that of the original show, but it's been jazzed up horribly. And instead of focusing on the drama like the series did, this one patterns its sequences after SPY KIDS. While I won't be the first to admit that I enjoyed the Rodriguez movie, the two franchises should never have been intertwined (and a third mixed in--the Alan/Fermat/Tin-Tin grouping is like a certain other grouping of three teenagers, only Alan is more heroic than Harry).

As for the good? Well, like I mentioned before, the visuals do pay quite a bit of reverence to the series (although the boys now enter the ships through tubes--one wonders why there are five tubes there--and TB2 is a bit bigger).

However, it all just turns out to be as big a travesty as 1994's Turbocharged Thunderbirds. Wait for the video if you want to see how bad it is.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:15 pm

I know there's a thread for this already, but I think I'll put it here, instead. :P
The Grudge
This movie is CREEPY AS HELL. I'm thinkin' it's at least 3 times spookier than The Ring. I'd say 10 times, but that'd be exaggerating. The problem most people seem to have with this movie is how similar it is to The Ring, and don't get me wrong, the similarities are there, but hey, if it's creepy and it works, it works. I think, perhaps, what made it so goddamn creepy was that there was no plot. Like, none. You were just given characters, and scary things happened to them. So you didn't have a plot to sidetrack you from the scariness.
[spoiler]the bus scene is absolutely terrifying. There was NO forewarning that the girl would be there. Almost ever other time in the movie, you are given a musical 'cue' to warn you that something is going to happen, but this time it was just BAM! HERE I AM DEAD! :shock: :shock: [/spoiler]
If you're one of those people who likes their horror movies to have a real, tangible storyline, then The Grudge is going to disappoint you on that level. But hey, you'll certainly get spooked at least once.

SAW
Just go see The Grudge, okay? Don't waste your money on this. It's no good. It's billed as a psychological thriller and in almost every preview there's a reference to Seven, but it's just...rediculous. The *idea* behind the way Jigsaw kills his victims is awesome and had great promise, but...no. You know what it reminds me of? Cabin Fever. Has anyone seen that? With Rider Strong, and the camping trip, and the disease? Yeah. It's just as bad as that; it's so terrible it's good. It's not scary at all (tho there are some places where you *might* jump). Cary Ewels can't act in a drama, period. He's either delivering incredibly stilted dialouge or [spoiler]curled up in the fetal position crying.[/spoiler]. Plus, he certainly has gotten bloaty since The Princess Bride. I didn't even know it was him until my friend leaned over and told me. So! All in all: SAW is not scary, but it could have easily been (that is, the *idea* behind the film was absolutely terrifying, but the execution was crappy), instead, it was hilarious. So I think, instead of comparing it to Seven in the previews, it should be compared to Cabin Fever. A BIG PLUS, tho, is that the soundtrack ABSOLUTELY ROCKS.
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:28 pm

Got back from The Incredibles

In short, typical Pixar film. GOOD. AWSOME.

[spoiler]Superheroes are being sued for not saving people that wanted to be saved, so... they have to live like normal people. That makes "Mr. Incredible" reminice of the old days with his wife "Elasticgirl." they have 3 kids, 2 are prominent in the movie. One can run so fast he can run over water, the other can disappear and create forcefields. It goes through their life at the moment, tiring, hectic, and hard. Until mr. Incredible gets a buisness offer from a group of people that will use his talents (super strength) for good. It's a conspiricy, Mr. Incredible gets in serious trouble, his wife finds out, goes after him, the kids follow... and a person who almost worshipped Mr. Incredible now hates him and wants to make everyone have superpowers by giving them his gadgets he made, and to eliminate all the Supers (superheroes) He sicks a giant robot on a city, and they have to destory it. rest, go see it.[/spoiler]

It's a really good movie, and I recommend seeing it. Pixar movies are ALWAYS worth seeing.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:23 am

Out At The Wedding

A while back, I was seriously into the whole lesbian culture (well, as serious as you can get concerning me--which isn't very). Don't ask me why, I just was. Anyway, one of the sites I frequented at the time was AfterEllen.com. Through that site, I got to learn of such personalities as Jill Bennett (actor, also originated the We're Getting Nowhere blog) and Julie Goldman (comedienne, The Big Gay Sketch Show). And I got to liking them both. Jill more, because I really didn't pay attention to Julie, but they both seem like people I could get along with.

Anyway, fast-forward to today. I've pretty much grown out of that phase, and simply decided to see what ezyDVD has on offer in the Queer section. Yes, they, unlike most of the other stores I visit, actually have such a DVD section. I picked up two DVDs: this one and The Sisterhood.

Why do I mention these two unrelated details? Simply because I hopped online and found that those two were in this movie. So I eagerly sat down to watch. Turns out that those two have little more than cameo appearances (and Jill plays a bitch), but they were funny nonetheless.

The movie concerns a woman named Alex. Alex is engaged to a black man named Dana, and thinks her racist family won't like it (since she's in New York, and her family is in North Carolina). So she tells her fiancé Dana's family that her family is dead, and lets her family believe that she's single. But then her gay friend Jonathan unwittingly manages to let slip that Alex is not only single, she's also a lesbian. And Alex decides her family should be more supportive if she lets them think that, so she goes along with the lie. It's all fine and dandy until her newlywed sister Jeanie pops in for a visit.

So Jonathan concocts a plan: with the real Dana away, they'll hire lesbian Risa to stand in for "her". They are then forced to weave an elaborate web of lies, pretending that Dana's parents are really "Dana's" for Jeanie, and that Jeanie is a radical lesbian type who is Risa's actual girlfriend for Dana's parents. But then Jeannie really does fall for Risa, bringing the whole thing down around their ears while somehow managing to avoid the whole Imagine Me & You angle.

And you know what? It actually works. None of the major characters miss a note (and Alex's father gets one very funny final joke). Some of the others do fall a bit flat--especially Bennett, who, as I said before, plays a backstabber who is only around for one scene to establish Risa's single status and weird out Dana's father (played by Reginald VelJohnson). Otherwise, this is one charming movie--and even packs a few belly laughs concerning such bizarre things as who one wakes up next to, and the kind of birthday cake that you don't bake in polite company. Desi Lydic (Jeanie) and Cathy DeBuono (Risa) exhibit a chemistry I've seen in so few other movies, while Andrea Marcellus (Alex) does a good job of buckling under the strain her lies create. MEanwhile, Mink Stole somehow manages to play against type--she's a mother, but she has nothing against Jeanie and Risa, while Charlie Schlatter (who I now know as the voice of Cameron in Bratz) does well as Jonathan, even with the unnecessary subplot of him putting his boyfriend on a diet.

Honestly, I can't recommend this one enough. Go check it out.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot