The Apocalypse can't be far behind...

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

The Apocalypse can't be far behind...

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu May 06, 2004 11:45 am

Jack Chick has released two tracts. It's just the way it is with Chick...you go for two months without seeing one new tract and then all of a sudden two pop up at once.

For those who don't yet know anything about Chick, I think the club is somewhere over there *points*. Very little is actually known about Chick, and given the contents of his little comic book tracts, this is hardly surprising. He rarely makes public appearances, and the last time anything was written about him, the article's author had to go through Chick's secretary Karen Rockney.

Anyway, as I said above, he writes comic book "tracts"--pocket-sized comic books with an overtly religious slant. The tracts are usually three parts hate literature with one part bible quoting. The dialogue is usually poorly constructed and the artwork ranges from crude to passable. Among his targets are: Islam, Wicca, Harry Potter (of course), gays (merely looking at them will give you TEH GAY!!!) and Catholics (go check out the one where he says they're responsible for the Holocaust).

And now...on with the tracts!

The Birds and the Bees (click that) is one for children starring Chick's newest recurring character, Li'l Susy (does anyone remember Punky Brewster?). In this one, Susy's class is introduced to a gay couple. Fortunately, unlike a certain nameless NFBSK, Susy waits until after class to spread her propoganda. At the end, there is an essay about gays. Of course, it's utter bullNFBSK with the usual fears about kids catching TEH GAY. But that Gay Nightmare line gives an odd mental image. Oh, and Fang is nowhere to be seen.

And then there's Unloved (click it), an updated version of Somebody Loves Me (click it) with dialogue and a kid aging. And the same crude art. If the time lapse between Jimmy's marriage and his kids' arrest is odd, it's because the kid is from a previous marriage. Well, either that or his gay kindy teachers held one too many Bisexual Awareness days, forcing the poor kid to turn to drugs as a cure for TEH GAY and thereby forcing the law to change (sorry, couldn't resist). If you're doing your Fangwatch duty, don't worry: Chick didn't even bother to hide the mutt.

For those looking to satisfy their craving of Religious BullNFBSK, look no further. At least this guy's easier to mock than NFBSK.

ETA: According to Unloved, believing in God will make you lose 20 pounds. That certainly puts the Atkins diet to shame, doesn't it?
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu May 06, 2004 12:09 pm

Umm..sorry, I don't belive I have ever heard of Jack Chick before your post. ^_^

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Thu May 06, 2004 12:20 pm

Chick's comics annoy me. They make everything you do look evil, even so much as playing a pretend BOARD GAME (one story makes out Dungeons and Dragons to be evil). It creeps me out, and we already have enough things in modern society to do that, thank you very much.
"With this candle I will..set your mother on fire." - Victor, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Thu May 06, 2004 1:03 pm

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
and Catholics (go check out the one where he says they're responsible for the Holocaust).
How in the Hell are Catholics responsibile for the Holocaust? I've heard this idotic remark before, but I've never heard an explanation. (In case you don't know, I'm Catholic and German, so I'm screwed royally on this issue :roll: ).
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Ni-ban Neko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Ni-ban Neko » Thu May 06, 2004 1:08 pm

It's better to ignore Chick tracts unless you want to make fun of them. There's no sense getting riled up about a crackpot, because that's exactly what he is.
Jen Graña ~ Ni-ban Neko
LiveJournal ~ tw.net
~thank you for the avatar, Secret Santa <3~

--

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Thu May 06, 2004 2:03 pm

I've read Chick's stuff many times, but honestly I can't work up any energy for hating them. They're a bit too dogmatic and on point. If someone were out to make a deliberate parody of Christian extremism in comic form, it wouldn't look too different from what Chick puts out in earnest. There's no character or drama to them. because he can't get off-message for fear of losing his audience.

I will say though that, independent of the material, the artwork isn't half bad. Not as good as Takeuchi-sama's by any means (I have faith in Sailor Moon, the true Messiah! I'm going to Crystal Toyko instead of heaven! :D ), but better certainly than Garfield or Marmaduke or half the comics in the newspapers.

Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Parallax » Thu May 06, 2004 2:16 pm

Jack Chick sounds like somebody I'd like to meet..... FIST TO FACE!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: I'm a Christian myself, and dogmatic jerks like Chick make me wanna puke!!! :evil: Catholics responsible for The Holocaust???? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!! It was a sick little man named Hitler and his bunch of scumbags that caused the Holocaust AND WW2 in the first place. (I'd better calm down before I go postal and nuke Jack Chick).
"Oh yeah. Someone is definitely tired of breathing." ("The Main Man", Part 1)

I'm writing this Sailor Moon/Green Lantern crossover AU fic called "Emerald Sunrise". It's a hybrid of Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, and Comedy. It's about Ami (Sailor Mercury) getting a new boyfriend who just happens to be a member of The Green Lantern Corps. I'm also throwing in some other characters from other animes and some old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the late '60's early '70's. I'm also illustrating it as well. :oops: Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

"Dead Man Walking!!!!!!!"

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu May 06, 2004 3:53 pm

Parallax: While it's cool to be passionate about certain things, you really need to chill with the violent threats to everyone you've been making in your last few posts.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Choc
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Choc » Thu May 06, 2004 4:00 pm

I never heard of that Chick person, and I wish I hadn't. Slandering ignorant people such as that person are the reason religion is so repulsive to people. All that bashing of others and only ONE Bible quote? Oh my goodness...

OT: What's NFBSK?

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu May 06, 2004 4:24 pm

Choc wrote:Slandering ignorant people such as that person are the reason religion is so repulsive to people.
A good majority of the world's population believes in some form of religion, so obviously it's not "so repulsive" as you make it out to be...besides, not all religious people are as closed-minded and literal as he is.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Thu May 06, 2004 5:09 pm

I think the person you're talking about wrote a comic about mormons that Tiff showed me once.

It really was just idiotic, and it twisted and warped the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS for short) to make it seem really bad. Pretty much anything on that guy's site is garbage. The thing is, if you actually READ the bible, the things he's doing goes against what the bible preaches. So yeah, in his own little world trying to be a "Super Christian", he's actually be very anti-christian. How ironic.

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Thu May 06, 2004 5:40 pm

This guy's work looks like those mini comic religion pamplets that they hand out once a year in front of my old high school and middle school. They just seemed extremely off the mark and ridiculous. However, that's just my opinion.

I never could figure out why they did that ever single year. One year they were handing out tiny New Testaments. (I seriously try to avoid those people) I was walking home that day and some boys ran by me and threw they copies at me, calling me an evil sinner. This is why I hate the idea of giving out stuff like that to minors.

FoxFire
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by FoxFire » Thu May 06, 2004 7:41 pm

Ahhh, good ole' Jack Chick. I've never actually seen one of his tracts in real life, but I started reading them online several years back. Frankly, I find funny more than anything else. Jack Chick as a man scares me, you can tell that he honestly believes this stuff, that there are underground groups of Satanists sacrificing hundreds/thousands/millions of people a year, and that there's a big evil conspiracy consisting of the Catholic church, the Freemasons, Wiccans, Muslims and gays that's lead by Satan himself controlling the world. But does anyone actually take these tracts seriously? I take them to be the amusing rantings of an obviously disturbed man, and a good warning about the dangers of fundamentalism.
Fox

"You''ll regret being so damn abusive when the electric UFO gods transphase in from Dimension 10 to appoint me Manager of the Universe."
--The Drummer

"We share a culture, same vernacular/Love of physical humor and time spent alone
You with your penchant for spontaneous advents/For sticky unrests to be unearthed and then gone"
--Alanis Morissette

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu May 06, 2004 11:27 pm

Choc wrote: OT: What's NFBSK?
NFBSK stands for "Not For British School Kids". It's basically a term used in place of a less polite term (or to tell people to expect an adult topic). It originated on the Snopes.com forums after some British schoolkids got offended at some of the topics people posted about or something like that (I wasn't there at the time of the forum's creation).

An extrapolation of NFBSK is TMI. You figure that one out.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu May 06, 2004 11:47 pm

peachvampiress wrote:Jusenkyo no Pikachu
and Catholics (go check out the one where he says they're responsible for the Holocaust).
How in the Hell are Catholics responsibile for the Holocaust? I've heard this idotic remark before, but I've never heard an explanation. (In case you don't know, I'm Catholic and German, so I'm screwed royally on this issue :roll: ).
Holocaust.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Fri May 07, 2004 12:40 am

o__0 That doesn't answer my question? What do you mean by just saying holocaust?

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

~Suicide Kings

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri May 07, 2004 12:54 am

peachvampiress wrote:o__0 That doesn't answer my question? What do you mean by just saying holocaust?
It's a link, babe. Try running your mouse over it..it took me a minute to get it, too.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Fri May 07, 2004 1:02 am

Ahh, thank you Tiffu. I was wondering what this little thing with the light and the cord coming out of it was for ^_^.
Ok, I only read half and I'm going to try and respond calmly :twitch:

That was reaaaaallly idiotic. I still don't see how Catholics are supposedly covering up the holocaust. I go to a Catholic high school, and we were just learning about it, Hell, my class went to a holocaust museum. I'm not going to take this to seriously, because it's obvious this guy is a one testicaled nut case with no life, and I'm sure no one here believes him.

~Suicide Kings

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Fri May 07, 2004 1:13 pm

You know, a friend of mine said once (actually, the other day) that anyone who gets that fanatical about their own religion is not secure enough in their religion, and that is why they think they have to convert everyone they meet. Where I live,I see crap like that all the time. This guy appears to be just another "fire and brimstone" preacher, as I have heard them called. I am just going to ignore what he says, because, as I have just stated, I see it all the time, and the best way to deal with these people is to completely ignore them.

Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Parallax » Fri May 07, 2004 1:42 pm

Starscream wrote:Parallax: While it's cool to be passionate about certain things, you really need to chill with the violent threats to everyone you've been making in your last few posts.

You're right Starscream. Sorry. It's just that idiots like Jack Chick hurt people with his unChristian garbage and he's making religious people look bad. The real reason I've been having such a short fuse is because I've been having trouble with Internet trolls posting sick racist trash using MY name and E-Mail address. I guess I get my short temper with scum like that from my mother.
"Oh yeah. Someone is definitely tired of breathing." ("The Main Man", Part 1)

I'm writing this Sailor Moon/Green Lantern crossover AU fic called "Emerald Sunrise". It's a hybrid of Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, and Comedy. It's about Ami (Sailor Mercury) getting a new boyfriend who just happens to be a member of The Green Lantern Corps. I'm also throwing in some other characters from other animes and some old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the late '60's early '70's. I'm also illustrating it as well. :oops: Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

"Dead Man Walking!!!!!!!"