Villains!

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Villains!

Post by crazydiamond » Tue May 04, 2004 9:20 pm

Have you ever liked a villian more than you liked the hero? Am I the only one who does that? I can think of several occasions when, in a movie, or in a book, or in a TV show, I almost actively rooted for the badguy. Or, if not, have you ever liked a subordinate villian more than his/her leader? Some examples I have: recently, Kroenen, from the movie Hellboy. I *hated* Gregori and Elsa. They were, like, most useless head-badguys ever! Especially Elsa. Useless! I didn't like Kroenen more than Hellboy, tho, so I guess that one falls into the other category. I liked Shredder better than the Turtles most of the time, too. There's others, but I can't remember them all right now.
(edit for repeating myself and not even knowing it until now)
Last edited by crazydiamond on Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Tue May 04, 2004 9:27 pm

Hehe, my kind of topic ;)

There are a number of different stories for which I've either rooted for the villain, or found them to be much more interesting than the heroes. Case in point: Starscream, my avatar, from "Transformers". He was the second-in-command of the villanous Decepticons, fighting against the heroic Autobots. It wasn't that I wanted the bad guys to win, but Starscream was such an interesting character; in an age where side-kicks and underlings were bumbling idiots or single-dimensional punching bags, Starscream was a scheming, underhanded robot that never hid his intentions to dethrone the Decepticon leader, Megatron, and take his "rightful" place as commander.

Another villain > heroes idea that pops up is Krang from the original Ninja Turtles run. I dunno; something about a talking brain in the stomach of a giant android body made me smile. He was always ordering Shredder around, too, which I tended to find amusing :)
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue May 04, 2004 9:33 pm

Jareth from The Labrynth..he just OOZES awesomeness. He's cool, collected, and just stands around lazily, not getting worked up over anything Sarah or his minions do. Also, he gets so amused by Sarah's whining and bitching, and I love his sarcasm.

...That, and he's hot ^^;;

EDIT: Well, if we're including anime...

Galaxia from Stars. I'm sorry, but I woulda been just fine with her kicking the senshi's asses and winning ^^; Not only was she completely badass, but a lot of what she said made sense (moreso in the manga). I thought she was beautiful in every way, and much stronger than all of the other villains.
Last edited by Tiff on Tue May 04, 2004 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Tue May 04, 2004 9:34 pm

Abi from Inuyasha. Not only was she a bird youkai, but she commanded an army of vampire pterodactyls, which automatically made her cool. (and her looks didn't hurt any ^_~). I was so sad when [spoiler]Naraku killed her. At another forum I've got an "in memory of Abi" signature I made after reading the chapter where she died...[/spoiler]
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue May 04, 2004 9:51 pm

I have to second Tiff on Jareth, not only is he hot and awesome, but he wore the tightest pants on earth :oops: :nose bleed:

:cough: um...any way, I'd have to say that villians who are cooler than the heros would have to be Jose on the show Cybersix. While I LOVE Cybersix in the comics, I can't stand her on the show because

A: She's to whiny and
B: She's waaaay to skinny (in the comic book she was, well, kind of plump, but still incredibly beautiful).

Jose is freakin' insane and hilarious. He's a clone of his psyco father and can't age. He's basically an adult stuck in the body of an eight year old (though it you read the comics, he's got the sex drive of a dog in heat).
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Tue May 04, 2004 10:11 pm

Awwwww....Tiff took my first choice! When I read this thread immediately I thought of Jareth. Half the time I couldn't figure him out at all. If I was the one given the choice, I would have taken his offer to stay in less than 3 seconds flat.

Magica De Spell and the Beagal boys from Duck Tales. Sometimes I wished that I could have given them a break. Magica's plans always blew up in her face and the Beagals always ended up messing up and back in jail. They were too funny.

I feel the same way about Bushroot from Darkwing Duck. He was my favorite villian from that show. All his plans ways went awry in a weirdest ways. There's just something funny about a duck/plant.

The Emperor's New Groove. Ezma and Cronk. They were way more entertaining to watch. Especially Cronk and all that business about cooking and talking to squirrels. They were the only bearable part of the movie.

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Tue May 04, 2004 10:26 pm

The Emperor's New Groove. Ezma and Cronk. They were way more entertaining to watch. Especially Cronk and all that business about cooking and talking to squirrels. They were the only bearable part of the movie.
You forgot the shoulder angels...

In the Star Wars novels, Grand Admiral Thrawn. He is just kickass. 8)
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Tue May 04, 2004 10:48 pm

Now I know I'm going to sound like a freak and nobody is going to know what i'm talking about.

Remember the Jim Henson movie, the Dark Crystal?

I always secretly wanted the Skeksis race to win. They held a special place in my heart. High Priest was my favorite. I'd watch that movie over and over again hoping the Skeksis would win. GO SKEKSIS! Minus Chamberlain. He was annoying man.

Please tell me I'm not the only one here who's seen the Dark Crystal.

Ni-ban Neko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Ni-ban Neko » Tue May 04, 2004 10:51 pm

Jareth. Most definitely, Jareth. *.*David Bowie was just plain awesome there.

If we're counting video games, I absolutely adore the Bonnes from the Megaman Legends series. Tron is just about the cutest villain you could think of - she's smart, knows exactly what she's doing, but still manages to get thwarted one way or another. I love her to bits.
Jen Graña ~ Ni-ban Neko
LiveJournal ~ tw.net
~thank you for the avatar, Secret Santa <3~

--

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue May 04, 2004 10:56 pm

AnimeGuru0
I'd watch that movie over and over again hoping the Skeksis would win.
LOL, I used to do the same thing when I was little, watch a movie a zillion times and hope that the outcome would change.

I watched the Dark Crystal a loooooong time ago, when I was about four or five, don't remember a lot of it though (must rewatch this weekend).

[off topic] I they released a special DVD box set of the Dark Crystal with a bunch of bitchin' bonus features awhile ago, as well as a Labyrinth box set last month.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

~Suicide Kings

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue May 04, 2004 11:24 pm

AnimeGuru0 wrote:
Of course i've seen it! I don't remember a lot of it..but I have it taped somewhere on an old betamax tape ^^;;

And to Ni-ban Neko and peachvampiress: Jareth + Tight Leather Pants = YUM.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Tue May 04, 2004 11:51 pm

Okay, now I remember the second villian I wanted to mention. Vamdemon from the first season of digimon. He was so cruel and merciless, but in a bitchin' way (plus he's a bishounen, which kicks ass). I remember getting super pissed when he was killed (so violent :cry: [spoiler]he got shot with an arrow through the heart[/spoiler]). I thought he wouldn't appear again (or course I was wrong ~_^)

Now now Tiff, Ni-ban, their's plenty of Jareth for all of us. I'll get the top, Tiff you get the middle, and Ni-ban, you can have the legs (mmm...legs).

~Suicide Kings

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Tue May 04, 2004 11:51 pm

AnimeGuru0 wrote:Now I know I'm going to sound like a freak and nobody is going to know what i'm talking about.

Remember the Jim Henson movie, the Dark Crystal?

I always secretly wanted the Skeksis race to win. They held a special place in my heart. High Priest was my favorite. I'd watch that movie over and over again hoping the Skeksis would win. GO SKEKSIS! Minus Chamberlain. He was annoying man.
See, now I was the opposite; I wanted Chamberlain to win and take over the Skeksis. I think Chamberlain is cool, with the high voice and the whimper.
Not only have I seen it, I've probably seen it about 100 times, literally. Back when it came out, my grandfather was buying all the newest TV gear, including a vcr and Home Box Office, which back then showed movies right out of the theater, and The Dark Crystal was the first movie he taped. The novelty of being able to watch a *movie* on a *tv* when you *wanted* to didn't wear off easily. So every weekend for about 2 years my cousin and I would visit his house and every time we would watch that movie. We got to where we could act out the Jen and Kira parts word-for-word (her name is jen, ironically, but she was of course kira). So the movie has special meaning to me.

As to the topic, very rarely to I root for the villains to win. Darkwing Duck was mentioned--great villains, but the show was DW beating them, and that worked. On the other hand, Inspector Gadget, for example, I actually rooted for MAD to "eliminate" (which was the PC way they said kill) Gadget, leave brainy little Penny orphaned, and take over the world.

Also, Starscream mentioned Transformers. I had many of the toys when I was young (I think I came within four Construticons of having the entire set before they expanded) but I never made them fight. My attitude was, "I own all this beautiful military hardware; why damage it on something as silly as a war?"So I would put the bases together and all the Transformers facing the same way. Sometimes as a training exercize I would have them fight one plastic soldier. I believed in Peace Through Strength, I guess.

Finally, I would be remiss in failing to mention that I too have seen and loved the movie Labyrinth. Yes, David Bowie is way hot in that movie, but I didn't actually want to see him win. Wouldn't have minded him sending back the baby and keeping Sarah though.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue May 04, 2004 11:54 pm

peachvampiress wrote: Now now Tiff, Ni-ban, their's plenty of Jareth for all of us. I'll get the top, Tiff you get the middle, and Ni-ban, you can have the legs (mmm...legs).
...does the middle include..the man parts? =D *lecherous grin*
Wouldn't have minded him sending back the baby and keeping Sarah though.
LOL that thought crossed my mind, too. I'm always like "THROW THE DAMN BABY BACK AND STAY WITH JARETH <3"

^^; Sadly, I think I woulda caved, let him keep the damn baby, and became his love slave. *nods*
Last edited by Tiff on Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Wed May 05, 2004 12:48 am

peachvampiress wrote:I thought he wouldn't appear again (or course I was wrong ~_^)
-_- You just can't kill that guy... damn bishonen villains, they just don't die...

Oh, and any T-rex-ish Zoid (Genosaurer and Breaker, Berserk Fury, Death Saurer), because they all have ultra-powerful beam cannons, and beam cannons own immensely... they're usually uber-cheap in the context of the anime (all but the Death Saurer can fly, and that just makes me go O.o)
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

FoxFire
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by FoxFire » Wed May 05, 2004 1:20 am

In most of the Batman movies I thought the villains were more interesting, particularly Nicholson's Joker in the first one and Jim Carrey's Riddler in the third one.

I will continue to stand by that GoGo Yubari was the best character in Kill Bill. I still wanted Beatrix/The Bride to be triumphant on her revenge mission, but I probably wouldn't have minded if GoGo had won.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers movies. I like Austin Powers better myself, but I seem to be in the minority.
Fox

"You''ll regret being so damn abusive when the electric UFO gods transphase in from Dimension 10 to appoint me Manager of the Universe."
--The Drummer

"We share a culture, same vernacular/Love of physical humor and time spent alone
You with your penchant for spontaneous advents/For sticky unrests to be unearthed and then gone"
--Alanis Morissette

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Wed May 05, 2004 2:02 am

*fights Tiff, Ni-ban and Peachvampiress for Jareth* No no no! I get to keep him.

I saw Dark Crystal when I was younger. Loved that movie. I used to be able to do the Chamberlain's whimper. That film was just too awesome.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed May 05, 2004 2:07 am

FoxFire wrote: I will continue to stand by that GoGo Yubari was the best character in Kill Bill. I still wanted Beatrix/The Bride to be triumphant on her revenge mission, but I probably wouldn't have minded if GoGo had won.
Oh, how could I forget my sweet, dangerous little GoGo? *Snuggles her* I would have rejoiced and joygasmed if she had won *_*
fights Tiff, Ni-ban and Peachvampiress for Jareth* No no no! I get to keep him.
OH, NO YOU DIDN'T! *Snaps fingers and shakes head, gangsta-like*

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Wed May 05, 2004 2:06 pm

Here is a list of the coolest villains I had seen:

1. Triple H (circa 2000, WWE): He definitely knows how to play the villain role well, and ended up sending Mick Foley into retirement, twice

2. Kamjin Kravshera (Macross): His nickname, "The Ally Killer", is one of the best nicknames ever

3. Kagato (Tenchi OAV): He would win the title for being one the smartest villains ever

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Wed May 05, 2004 7:14 pm

Actually on many of the looney tunes and other such cartoons, I sometimes wondered what it would be like if they won instead. Like on Tiny Toons with Montana Max. He was a little creep, but there was something about him that was quite appealing. Especially how Elmra kept chasing him. Seemed almost like perfect justice.

Tiff: If I can't have him, then can I at least keep his owl cape?