Scary/Suspenseful Movies

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Rindesayu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Scary/Suspenseful Movies

Post by Rindesayu » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:31 pm

Ah, yes, horrors... suspense thrillers... don't'cha love 'em?

What would you people say are some of the scariest/most hauntingly suspenseful movies you've ever seen? I'd say, right now, for me, Ringu is one of them. For those who don't know, Ringu is the original Japanese (yes, live-action) version of The Ring. I found it much more terrifying because it didn't rely on cheap Hollywood scares and an overly mind-boggling story to draw the viewer in. It's just more "natural" and streamlined, and goes with the flow as the audience is glued to the screen with almost frozen fear.

And honestly, I thought Sadako was so much creepier than Samara, what with the deadly silence, hidden face, inhuman walk (AND crawl), and... *shudder*.. eyeball.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:41 pm

No movie in the universe scares me, no matter how much it is supposed to scare anyone. However, I did think Ringu was much better than the American remake. And Sadako's eye was a bit disturbing, but that just helped the effect of the movie.

Another movie I liked that I thought was pretty suspensful was Ghost Ship. The suprise ending was very good, in my opinion.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:21 pm

I'm a sucker for scarey movies..I love em!
Some of my favorites:

Ringu - yes, much scarier than the U.S version..I did like The Ring, though...I think they were good each in their own ways.

The Shining - Keeps you on the edge of your seat, and is full of just plain weirdness.

Scream: Yes, I know it's chock full of teenage pop culture, but that damn movie kept me guessing until the very end, and that first scene scared the shit out of me.

Texas Chainsaw massacre: The ORIGINAL..just plain horrifying.

Rosemary's Baby: Very twisted, and also horrifying.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Lady of the Light
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Lady of the Light » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:22 pm

I've seen the Ring, and I thought it was good. Even though I consumed a can of Diet Decaffinated Coke, and started to laugh hysterically through the movie, I enjoyed the plotline and such. So I'm just yearning to see Ringu, since most people say it's better than the American remake...Sadako looks awesome.
Mr. James : Lost a satellite on liftoff today.
Dave : Cost?
Mr. James : 10 million dollars.
Dave : Result?
Mr. James : Extreme set back.
Dave : Milk?
Mr. James : Spilled.
Dave : Gonna cry about it?
Mr. James : Not even.
Dave : I''m sitting on a rather sharp tack.
Mr. James : That's gotta hurt.
Dave : Well, life's a bitch...
Mr. James : ...And then you die.
Dave : My...
Mr. James : ...oh...
Dave : ...my.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:51 am

When I first saw Ringu, I half-expected Sadako to come get me the next week.

[spoiler]I mean, there was nothing to actually signify that she was coming either.[/spoiler]

Clue to horror makers: Make sure that any scene that is supposed to be scary (a) comes unexpectedly and (b) packs one hell of a punch. While the final dream in Carrie is no longer scary (it wasn't in the book either), it was almost completely unexpected when it first came out. Today, the thing has had the edge taken off. [spoiler]Besides, it looked like she had more fun in the book where she fried half the town.[/spoiler]
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:19 pm

I can't say anything, I hate horror movies.

Suspense though... some Scenes in the matrix are suspenseful. And when I was younger the "Sid" kid in Toy Story scared me. XD
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:40 pm

Come to think of it...I had a Biology teacher in high school who told my class once when someone asked him what his favorite horror movie was that the scariest thing he would ever watch was Scooby-Doo.

Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Parallax » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:51 pm

My favorite scary movies are "Jaws" and "Jaws II". The other scary "movies" are just also-rans.
"Oh yeah. Someone is definitely tired of breathing." ("The Main Man", Part 1)

I'm writing this Sailor Moon/Green Lantern crossover AU fic called "Emerald Sunrise". It's a hybrid of Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, and Comedy. It's about Ami (Sailor Mercury) getting a new boyfriend who just happens to be a member of The Green Lantern Corps. I'm also throwing in some other characters from other animes and some old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the late '60's early '70's. I'm also illustrating it as well. :oops: Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

"Dead Man Walking!!!!!!!"

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:31 pm

Parallax wrote:My favorite scary movies are "Jaws" and "Jaws II". The other scary "movies" are just also-rans.
I never thought of Jaws as an actual "scary movie," but a movie about a fishing trip that just happens to have a scary fish. Granted, I saw it when I was 24 and in a well-lighted room, and special effects have come a long way since Jaws was made, but other than the scene with the dead guy in the boat, I was never really scared.

That being said, it's a great movie and a very significant one, since it was the first "action" movie to make over $100 million. The fact that a movie could do that without big-name actors or a complex plot convinced Hollywood that that was the way to make money. From the success of Jaws we got everything from Star Wars to Titanic. Sadly, few of its successors can measure up to its entertainment value.

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:57 pm

Mine is Gothika. It is the only movie that has every freaked me out. Not many people liked it, but I loved it. Psychological suspense stories = WONDERFUL.

Seriously, though, that movie scared the piss out of me. I grabbed my friend Brandi, and the two of us were screaming and jumping at everything.

*is sad*
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sun May 02, 2004 10:46 am

I just saw a 1940s film called DOA. Apparently it's one of the best film noirs out there, with a murder victim looking for his killer. Yes, it sounds ridiculous, but it's got some great tension and an intriguing motive. You try outguessing it.

ETA: You can download it here. It's a PD title, so there are no legal ramifications or clean frames.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sun May 02, 2004 4:17 pm

I'm not a real fan of horror movies because A) I'm a wuss and B) I hate computer graphics, what happened to squibs and props, everything's done on a computer. I don't know, I just think it's lazy.

However, Sleepy Hollow is my favorite horror movie. I LOVE Tim Burton's films and Danny Elfman's music (I bought the soundtrack 10 minutes ago and am listening to it right now ^_^). The headless bodies were so realistic, and the ending, WOW did not see that coming [spoiler]when the Hessian Horseman grabs Mary Van Tassel and kisses her with blood coming out of their mouths, shocking[/spoiler]

Also the costumes. T_T My dream is to be a costume designer and I'd kill to make costumes for movies like this, it's so EGL.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Rindesayu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Rindesayu » Wed May 05, 2004 8:25 pm

Sorry to bump the topic, but who remembers the 1973 cult horror classic The Exorcist? I saw it only about a few weeks ago, and thought it was really fraggin' disturbing. Not really scary, just... UGH...

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed May 05, 2004 8:35 pm

Rindesayu wrote:Sorry to bump the topic, but who remembers the 1973 cult horror classic The Exorcist? I saw it only about a few weeks ago, and thought it was really fraggin' disturbing. Not really scary, just... UGH...
I thought it was both scary AND disturbing >.>;;;

When my mom was younger, she and her sister saw in the theater...they were terrified going home, and they slept downstairs, int he basement of my grandparents' old house. The downstairs bedroom is ALWAYS cold,a nd so my grandfather mercilessly teased them about sleeping in "the cold room". They were terrified all night LOL

[spoiler]Note: in the movie, Linda Blair's room gets all cold, becuase of the devil's presence. [/spoiler]

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:38 pm

(Toppicu Bump power!!!! *bump*)

1408. Holy crap it creeped me out so bad. The phone kept ringing at the WORST parts (and one had phone number was 140-8(insert rest of numbers here) I jsut thought it was really, really creepy. Never staying in a hotel.

Saw III. @[email protected] Don't watch it on a full stomach. Ew ;_;

House of 1000 corpses is my favorite so far. Horror films that give a background about their villans are so interesting.
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:45 pm

Mine is Gothika. It is the only movie that has every freaked me out. Not many people liked it, but I loved it. Psychological suspense stories = WONDERFUL.
I don't like Halle Berry, but she was excellent in that film. The ending really shocked me.

And in reply to Tiff's comment earlier, I adore scream, all 3 films. But the first one is a classic:

"What do you want?"
"To see what your insides look like"

Hahahaha I always crack up at that line.

I thought the Silent Hill movie was handled well too. Possibly one of the best video game to movie adaptions out there. It was very suspensful and quite scary.

One film that particularly scared me was Land of the dead. Zombies terrify me. I just cringe at the thought of being chased by dead people (especially family members) who want to munch on my flesh. *shudders*
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:05 pm

Iced_Cappucino wrote:
I thought the Silent Hill movie was handled well too. Possibly one of the best video game to movie adaptions out there. It was very suspensful and quite scary.
I thought the silent hill movie sucked, personally. >_>; The only good thing out of that movie was seeing Pyramid Head come to life.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:53 pm

Yeah a lot of people don't like the movie. It had a lot of drastic changes made, although it's better than the Resident evil movies.

I was anticiapting the movie for PH. I love Ph.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:42 pm

Tiff wrote:
Iced_Cappucino wrote:
I thought the silent hill movie sucked, personally. >_>; The only good thing out of that movie was seeing Pyramid Head come to life.
I agree. I went to see the movie just for darling Pyramid Head.

And the movie poster is neat, when you draw mouths on her.
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:48 pm

Psycho is great, even today, because even when I know what's going to happen, it still manages to surprise me. I totally didn't see the end coming when I first saw it.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back