Stupid Commercials

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:54 pm

Two and a half stupid commercials I've seen recently:

You may have seen this one, it has a cute (and hot) little fairy flying around spraying sparkles all over. She waves her wand at a gothic building and it turns into a candy palace. She waves it at a modern train and it turns into an old-style toy train. Then she tries to zap a black SUV, but it keeps rebounding until it knocks her silly. The tagline is that the SUV is "anything but cute." They could have sold me *anything* based on the premise of the fairy, but instead they made her the villain.

This other one really takes the biscuit. It's a commercial for IBM with a guy in a hotel room, contemplating eating the cashews from the minibar. The voice over talks about how all business is about getting the premium; in this case, making someone pay $8 for a $2 jar of cashews. IBM says that if you consult with them, they'll help your business make this kind of money. But what about all us people who go to hotels and have to pay that?! You just pissed off every normal person who doesn't have a business!

Also, not the whole commercial, but one line. In the spots for telecommunications giant Verizon, whenever they mention that you can download music, they put up a subtitle that says "Verizon reminds you to always download legally." I flip the bird tp the TV whenever I see this line. It's not my ISP's job to play moral cop to me. Just connect me and go away.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Panda » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:14 pm

http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/713/

I think this commercial is retarded... McDonalds never helped me :cry:

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:33 pm

Just wanted to add a couple more...

The new go phone (I think it is) commercial where the mom and daughter are yelling, yet they are saying nice things to each other...(?)
"I love you!"
"You know you mean that!"
"You never hated me and you never will!"

That just screams WTF!

Also, those anti-drug commercials where they show a teen who looks all deflated, or who just looks like she's been crushed. And they go on, "I feel so pressured." or "I just sit on the couch with my life deflated from me."
I just find these so stupid. I can understand the symbolism, but that doesn't look like something that will make kids stay off drugs. If anything, they'll laugh about it at first, and then they'll probably just want to get high while watching these commercials.
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Panda
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Panda » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:01 pm

SeiUsa wrote:Just wanted to add a couple more...

The new go phone (I think it is) commercial where the mom and daughter are yelling, yet they are saying nice things to each other...(?)
"I love you!"

That just screams WTF!

Also, those anti-drug commercials where they show a teen who looks all deflated, or who just looks like she's been crushed. And they go on, "I feel so pressured." or "I just sit on the couch with my life deflated from me."
I just find these so stupid. I can understand the symbolism, but that doesn't look like something that will make kids stay off drugs. If anything, they'll laugh about it at first, and then they'll probably just want to get high while watching these commercials.

>.>;

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:50 pm

"I love you!"

That just screams WTF!
I love that commercial. XD

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:13 pm

Tiff wrote:

"I love you!"

That just screams WTF!
I love that commercial. XD
XD That's one of my favorites.
"I really like it! Why is it always what I want!?"
"Do you know how much this is not costing me?"
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:27 pm

Panda wrote:

"I love you!"

That just screams WTF!

>.>;
Care to elaborate?

Anyway...I was just reminded of this one old Cap'n Crunch commercial. A brother and sister are sitting at the table eating breakfast and the boy is all, "I LOVE Cap'n Crunch!" and the girl says, in a snotty voice, "If you love it so much then why don't you marry it?", and the boy imagines a life of marriage with Cap'n Crunch cereal. And at the end, they show that snotty little girl repeat, "So why don't you marry it?" I've always hated that commercial because of that little snotrag.
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:59 pm

anyone ever see that skittle's commercial with the singing rabbit? i never saw it on tv, but i watched it on youtube. the sound of that rabbit yodeling still haunts me. it's become an inside joke with my guard, so one of will randomly start yodeling like the rabbit during practice XD it drives our instrutors nuts.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:26 am

the*blue*girl wrote:anyone ever see that skittle's commercial with the singing rabbit? i never saw it on tv, but i watched it on youtube. the sound of that rabbit yodeling still haunts me. it's become an inside joke with my guard, so one of will randomly start yodeling like the rabbit during practice XD it drives our instrutors nuts.
I've seen that commercial, and yes, it does suck. If I had that rabbit, I'd fricassee the thing. And I'd certainly never trade anything for it.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Raven Sana
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Raven Sana » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:34 pm

"HEAD-ON! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD! HEAD-ON! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD! HEAD-ON! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD!"

Luckily, they don't show that version anymore. There's a new one in which they start out with one "HEAD-ON! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD!" and some person pops up to say how annoying the commercial is, but what a great product, and yadda yadda. :P

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:15 pm

Raven Sana wrote:"HEAD-ON! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD! HEAD-ON! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD! HEAD-ON! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD!"

Luckily, they don't show that version anymore. There's a new one in which they start out with one "HEAD-ON! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD!" and some person pops up to say how annoying the commercial is, but what a great product, and yadda yadda. :P
i have a theory about that commercial. i think it's supposed to give you a headache so you'll buy it. it certainly gave me a headache.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:42 am

the*blue*girl wrote:
Raven Sana wrote:"HEAD-ON! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD! HEAD-ON! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD! HEAD-ON! APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE FOREHEAD!"

i have a theory about that commercial. i think it's supposed to give you a headache so you'll buy it. it certainly gave me a headache.
I know exactly why they did their commercials like that. While it may be annoying, repetition helps to ingrain ideas. They don't care if they irritate everybody (which, in itself, is an effective method for inciting responses), they just want people to remember their product. You only have to see that commercial once or twice to remember that brand name for quite awhile.

A lot of commercials do the same, but they usually aren't as obvious about it.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:32 pm

This one infomercial where the product is something that's supposed to clean out your pool, and to show that it works, this pool cleaning guy comes on and says, "Wow! This product will put me out of business! It works like magic!"

Um, dude, I don't think that's something to brag about. <.<;
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:45 am

It can to me while watching an ad for Kellogg's Raisin Nut somethin'... I don't remember... But I just had a revelation...

Is it me, or does every commercial today include at least one person that makes you just want to beat the daylights out of? Be it for either being braindead stupid, annoying, or (most likely) both.

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:09 am

Aya Reiko wrote:Is it me, or does every commercial today include at least one person that makes you just want to beat the daylights out of? Be it for either being braindead stupid, annoying, or (most likely) both.
It's not just you.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:36 am

I'm going to nominate the "I'm an Mac" campain to my Hall-of-Fame. Mainly for the sheer amount of misinformation they try to spew as if it were fact. Plus I want to kick that Mac guy's ass (pretentious jackass).

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:52 pm

It looks like that the current trend in commercials today is using the YouTube clips (e.g., the N64 Kid for BMW, and more recently, the blindfolded Rubik's Cube guy for Hyundai).
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:52 am

I'm surprised nobdy even posted this yet. The Cheesy Bites commercial with Jessica Simpson in it. It makes her look like such a pig the way she jumps in. For me, it's a little sick.
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Tiff: They must love making Usagi cry. ;_; poor Usagi.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumper Sticker: A villiage in Texas is missing its idiot. Send Bush home.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idiot of 2010: Arnold Schwarzenegger sucks ass! He killed Tookie!
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Tiff: DAMN YOU ALL.
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
Dan: Gah! Off of me and back to Bob! *replaces self with Bob and runs*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:34 am

Another campain of shame:

The current Arby's ads

If they're suggesting that eating at Arby's will drop your IQ by at least 20 points, mission accomplished.

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:33 pm

This might be a it old, but anyway, has anybody seen the Pro-Line commercial where the guy making the juice accidentally dumps muscle relaxant into it and the guys all act drunk? That was pretty crazy.
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Tiff: They must love making Usagi cry. ;_; poor Usagi.
Bumper Sticker: A villiage in Texas is missing its idiot. Send Bush home.
The idiot of 2010: Arnold Schwarzenegger sucks ass! He killed Tookie!
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Tiff: DAMN YOU ALL.
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
Dan: Gah! Off of me and back to Bob! *replaces self with Bob and runs*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!