Stupid Commercials

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:04 am

My vote for the most annoying commercial has to go to the later Capital One commercials featuring David Spade. I like the eariler ones (my fave being the "no-storm" one), but the later ones basically sucked that whenever it comes on, I change the channel.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:43 am

DuoTheShinigami02 wrote:My vote for the most annoying commercial has to go to the later Capital One commercials featuring David Spade. I like the eariler ones (my fave being the "no-storm" one), but the later ones basically sucked that whenever it comes on, I change the channel.
Yes, they are REALLY becoming annoying. The only one I like is when he's on the phone with the huge, meat-head guy, and he says he's going to come down there and kick some ass. David Spade says "ooh I'm shaking in my bright yellow shirt" and meathead runs over to the poor fat guy in the yellow shirt. Fatguy screams like a little girl. That scream cracks me up everytime.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Heartless_Fiend
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Heartless_Fiend » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:12 am

I hate that SUV commercial where they play "Dust in the Wind" by the Eagles (or someone) and the SUV destroys all of the other SUVs it passes.

I don't care if your SUV is better than that other one. To me, a car is a car. I'd be happy with a hearse (to drive).

And I hate those diaper commercials with the talking babies. Hate, hate, hate. :evil:

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:14 am

Heartless_Fiend wrote:I hate that SUV commercial where they play "Dust in the Wind" by the Eagles (or someone) and the SUV destroys all of the other SUVs it passes.
Of course, with that commercial, I've always screamed:

"YOU'RE MY BOY, BLUE! You're my boy."

I think about "Old School" whenever the commercial comes on.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:46 pm

Heartless_Fiend wrote:
And I hate those diaper commercials with the talking babies. Hate, hate, hate. :evil:
Speaking of talking babies..I hate..HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE with a burning passion the Quizno's commercials with the baby who has a new yorker voice. Dear God, I hate it. Seriously. Everytime it comes on, I cringe and mute it or changed the channel.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:13 pm

Ah Quizno's, the company that always makes the worst commericals to ever air on tv. *remembers the spoogemonkeys or whatever the hell they were called*
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

writergirl
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by writergirl » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:21 pm

MarioKnight wrote:You can find one of the Sailor Senshi doll commericals over at http://www.toonamiarsenal.com/ . Go to downloads and then Sailor Moon and it's somewhere in that big list of videos.
OH... dear... GOD! That... is so disturbing!

I have to agree with the enzyte and really any "enhancing" commercials... ::shudder::
Plug for my message board Im awful. ::Hangs head in shame::

Left here alone, and unsure of what I feel. Unclear, but I see, Just what I'm afraid of.
I can't find my way anymore. And I cannot heal the wounds I've created. I can't let let go of whats killing me
Falling from this edge, I am lost to all I know
I can't breathe anymore Somehow I'm locked inside this cage And I've tried, but I cant Fight to stay alive
Falling from this edge, I am lost to all I know Time is only Fantasy And lies, the only reverie.
I've tried But I can't fight anymore.
I've Fallen from this edge, I am lost to all I know Time is only Fantasy And lies, the only reverie.
~ Megan McCauley's "Reverie"

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:23 pm

Heartless_Fiend wrote:I hate that SUV commercial where they play "Dust in the Wind" by the Eagles (or someone) and the SUV destroys all of the other SUVs it passes.
The song is by Kansas. I hate, HATE HATE HATE, the commercials for medicine for stuff like genital herpes and erectile dysfunction (Bob must die!). I don't need to know that. If you have those problems, tell it to your doctor and he will help you.
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:41 pm

This one gets my goat:

A couple looks out their apartment window: some white bales fall from the sky and some white paper flies out. More bales and sure enough, it looks like big piles of cash. Now, woman says to man, "Maybe we should get out there." And man replies, "No, it looks like it's only seven or eight million." Woman: "But that's a lot of. . . " At which point people on the street notice it and within 3 seconds it's all gone. Then the logo of the Mega Millions lottery comes up.

Now, why does this tick me off? Because of the implication that if you buy a ticket for the $100 million+ jackpots, but not the $8 million ones, you're stupid. Never mind that the expected value to the consumer is a loss no matter how big the jackpot is, but heaven forbid you should limit the money you spend on ones where the money will actually change your life instead of being eaten up in taxes and interest.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:49 am

Here's one that airs down here...

*Family of four sitting at lights*

FATHER: Call the Smiths. Tell them we should be there in 19 minutes.

*Mother calls*

MOTHER: What was it? 19? NINETEEN! W00T!

*Mother gets out of car, and does dance for joy*

MOTHER: NINETEEN! NINETEEN!

*Father leans back and whispers*

FATHER: You'd think she'd just won the Gold Lotto!

*Announcer then tells us that the reason Mother was shouting is because Gold Lotto has jackpotted to $19,000,000*

Sadly, that's just an example. The real ads get even more idiotic.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

writergirl
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by writergirl » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:53 am

The Dr. Schols "are you gellin'" commercials... I HATE HATE HATE them...

"I'm gellin' like a fellon"
"LIke magellen I"m sooooo gellin'" AGH! SHOOT ME NOW!

Left here alone, and unsure of what I feel. Unclear, but I see, Just what I'm afraid of.
I can't find my way anymore. And I cannot heal the wounds I've created. I can't let let go of whats killing me
I can't breathe anymore Somehow I'm locked inside this cage And I've tried, but I cant Fight to stay alive
Falling from this edge, I am lost to all I know Time is only Fantasy And lies, the only reverie.
I've Fallen from this edge, I am lost to all I know Time is only Fantasy And lies, the only reverie.

Mistress9
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Mistress9 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:54 pm

writergirl wrote:The Dr. Schols "are you gellin'" commercials... I HATE HATE HATE them...

Oh...my...god... I hate that comercial to! When I first heard it, I wanted to get the hacksaw! :roll:

I hate those Capital One comercials. I don't know why. I just find them veeery annoying.

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:01 pm

Saw a commercial for a Bowflex adjustable barbell set. Look at the thing. You set a dial and that's how much weight you lift. Now, it's probably being marketed to regular people, but the commercial shows these two buff, ripped, 6-workout-a-week bodybuilders. . . who are so lazy that they can't pick up a second dumbell when they want to change weight!
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!

writergirl
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by writergirl » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:00 pm

Mistress9 wrote:
writergirl wrote:The Dr. Schols "are you gellin'" commercials... I HATE HATE HATE them...

Oh...my...god... I hate that comercial to! When I first heard it, I wanted to get the hacksaw! :roll:

I hate those Capital One comercials. I don't know why. I just find them veeery annoying.
First heard it? when it comes on the TV even NOW I wanna bring out something to destroy the TV. :lol:

Thought of another one...

The Arby's commercials that look like it's a jepardy show everytime an answer gets read one of the contestants yells out an ingrediant of a turkey sub.... but the thing that REALLY irritated me was the way he goes "TURKEY!" right before they show the sandwich.... ::Shudder::

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Hobbes » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:57 pm

I hate those technical school commercials like ITT and DeVry University. Of course I'll hire someone with a degree from a tech college I've never heard of!! Ugh. Also, those commercials for the Whip Set on G4. I do not want to see that woman's butt all in the camera.
I AM YOUR LOVE-LOVE GODDESS B[BLEEP]ES!
-Aino Minako from Suburban Senshi

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Uh, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
-Michael Scott, The Office

Sylphiel
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sylphiel » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:45 pm

Okay, I guess it's not "stupid" persay, but one of the commercials I can't stand is the one where the orange fish is drowning. OMG GIVE THE FISHY MORE WATER AND LEAVE IT ALONE. Every time I see it I feel so bad for the fish I can't even watch it. :evil: :cry:
Kait (ka-t) n. - see also Sylph.
1. Sassy Cleric IRL.
2. She who is likely to kick your ass in DDR.
3. Webmistress of lovesenshi.net.
4. Admin of Black Butterfly: An Anna Tsuchiya fan community.
5. Moderator of the KanzakaDex forums.
6. STILL SMUs Village Idiot. ^_~
Journal | Facebook | MySpace | Flickr

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly
And if Im flying solo, at least Im flying free
To those whod ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am defying gravity

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:36 pm

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have to mention the new Geico commercial. They talk about salmon being born upstream, and later in their lives they come back to the place they were born to lay their own eggs. Then they show a bear standing in the water, looking for food, and the announcer says something like..."But the journey may end here..."

At this point, it makes me think it's an enviornmental commercial, explaining that life will be destroyed if we don't do something about it, or something, but then...

"...but good news: I just saved money on my car insurance by switching to Geico!"

>.< UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH! WTF does fish have to do with your stupid insurance?!?!?! Enough with these dumb Geico commercials already, they are only getting stupider with every new one! *deep breath*

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:53 pm

I actually liked the salmon Geico commercial. It was nice and nonsensical, without being loud, flashy and annoying. I like nonsensical, a lot... I just can't stand flashy and annoying.

The commercial that really got me hasn't aired for quite a while, but it still stuck in my mind. It was a spot for Orbitz, the online travel agency, with a bunch of blue stick figure people. A few of them talked about reasons why they couldn't go on vacations, and a chorus of voices would chime in saying "don't think!"

Yeah, nice angle. Encourage people not to think. That's really what we need, thanks. ¬_¬
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:04 pm

How about the commcercials for Sony's PSP, which mimic an art style similar to the ones on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim shows (i.e.; ugly and half-assed)?I find those to be incredibly stupid, and Sony still fails to understand that some people play video game systems for GAMES.

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:17 pm

Neo Dead Moon wrote:How about the commcercials for Sony's PSP, which mimic an art style similar to the ones on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim shows (i.e.; ugly and half-assed)?I find those to be incredibly stupid, and Sony still fails to understand that some people play video game systems for GAMES.
God do I hate those things. Even if I was going to get a PSP (i.e. there were games for it I gave a damn about), I'd not do it just because of those commercials.
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot