Rainbow Brite is Back!

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Rainbow Brite is Back!

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:14 pm

*screams at the top of his lungs* Waffo! Rainbow Brite is back! I'm so exicited! Last night I was watching tv and saw a commercial for Rainbow Brite dolls! Each doll came with a DVD featuring episodes from the cartoon show. I'm so happy! For those of you who don't know, Rainbow Brite is a cartoon show from the '80s that I grew up with. I collected a whole bunch of home videos and merchandise. I had dolls for the sprites, a Starlite doll, and two Rainbow Brite dolls. One was a small one that had a removable magic color belt on it and another one was a larger sized one that was just...very larged sized. ^^;; I think I had a Murky doll and a Skydancer doll, but I can't remember since most of my Rainbow Brite toys are in the basement somewhere. I also had a Rainbow Brite picture book, tons of home videos for the cartoon show and I had the movie on VHS and I used to have a Rainbow Brite soundtrack, but the tape broke.

I'm really glad Rainbow Brite is coming back and I hope the kids of today will find it just as appealing as the kids of the '80s did. Rainbow Brite was always my favorite '80s cartoon and I adored it a lot. I hope I can buy one of the dolls so I can finally have Rainbow Brite on DVD, especially the movie. ^^ For those of you who're big Rainbow Brite fans like yours truly, buy one of the dolls with the DVDs! For those who haven't seen Rainbow Brite, buy it anyway! I know you can find some of the original home videos on sale at Amazon.com, but they're all in a limited avaiability except for the movie which is still in print, thankfully. Rainbow Brite is finally back and kicking butt and I'm spreading the word! Waffo!

Edit: I was in a hurry and just copied and pasted it from another msg board instead of typing it all out again, but in my rush I forgot to edit out some things that applied only to that other msg board, so I'm sorry if some parts of my post confused people. I need to be more careful about copy and pasting. ^^;;
Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:55 pm

WAAAAAAAAAIIIII!!!!

Okay, a bit of a story about me and Rainbow Brite. Short story, it's the origin of my Internet name. Long story...

I was 7 when I discovered it at the video store. (it was off the air then, I think) I immediately LOVED it, and that's when I started wanting to be called Rainbow, and also got my thing for rainbow-colored things. There was a while when I thought I would change my name, but I think it's safer to have a psuedonym on the Internet, and that's how I use the "Rainbow" name for myself.

My real first name is [spoiler]Loretta. I like its connection to musical people like Loretta Lynn, but it's too normal for me...then again, I'm one of the few people I know with that name.[/spoiler]
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:35 pm

Wow. I used to watch that on tv when it came on in the mornings. I had a few of the dolls, and a big stuffed starlight horse, a big rainbow bright doll. I liked it, but I was more obsessed with My Little Pony. Dear Gods, I've got over 100 of those things (they're stashed away in my parents' shed).

Is it new, re-animted shows, or is it the actual old shows?

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:23 am

Rainbow Brite is coming back??? Where? When? I didn't see any commercials about it. :cry: I loved that show as a kid. My dad taped a couple episodes for me (it's on the same tape as Popples). I still love to watch it sometimes. Although in the last year or so it dawned on me how conceited Star Light really is.

I'm with Tiff. is this the original episodes that we all know and loved? If it's reanimated I'll scream. They ruined Strawberry Shortcake, I can't let them harm Rainbow. *drops to my knees and clings to the leg of the network* Please, for the love of childhood, don't!

*cough* Ummm....Actually I've been hoping that they would release the original My Little Pony movie. From what I've seen, they are gonna be releasing the Care Bear Family. I'm so happy. All my faves are coming home again.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:55 am

Tiff wrote:
You know, I'm not sure. I believe it's the original show, but it was never said. They just said each doll comes with a Rainbow Brite DVD. I checked Amazon.com to see which episodes were on the DVDs and to see how many were on there and bah, there's only one episode per DVD. >< That's a ripofff because the home videos had at least two episodes on them. I think I'll just download a bunch of episodes and burn them instead. ^^;; Now that I've had a closer look at the new dolls, I think the new dolls look rather ugly....they're just not as cute as the older dolls and they feel cheapely made to me. Oh well, at least it's come back, which is something I've always dreamt about. Now I wish a tvnetwork would pick up Rainbow Brite to air. TVLand perhaps? Btw, does anyone know where I can find an mp3 of the long Rainbow Brite theme song "Rainbow Brite and Me" that was used in the movie and as the opening theme for some of the later episodes? I've searched everywhere for it but I always get that shorter theme song.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:43 pm

I vaguely remember watching it when I was little. I think I was a fan, because someone had made me a Ranbow Brite doll a long time ago. The store Hot Topic Sells some Ranbow Brite merchandise, also, though I haven't bought any of it.

DurgaRea
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

HAPPY DANCE!

Post by DurgaRea » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:15 pm

Oh happy and shiney things!!!! JAI MA!!!!!

OMG I was OBSESSED w/ Rainbow Brite as a wee thing. Glad it's making a comeback. I've always said how cartoons today (w/ the exception of Sailor Moon, of course) are just no where nearly as cool as they were in the 80s.

I have some episodes of Rainbow Brite and the Beginning of Rainbow Land on Real Player movie files (somewhere, I think....)
but I'm sure the rest are on Kazaa. I would love to find the Star Stealer movie though. I haven't seen that forever and thought it was the coolest thing ever when it came out.
"Anyone without a soulfriend is like a body without a head" - Anam Cara, Irish Pagan quote

sailor53
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by sailor53 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:14 pm

I bought the Rainbow Brite doll back in Janurary. The episode that came with it is called "Star Sprinkled" and it is the original version.
Remember, every downhill has its uphill.

Ni-ban Neko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Ni-ban Neko » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:52 pm

One of these days, I'm going to have to buy myself a new Rainbow Brite doll. I was obsessed for a while as a little girl. I liked My Little Ponies too, but the movie scared me so much I stopped collecting them. ^^;;

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:47 pm

Like sailor53 said, it's the old versions. Carebears and Muppet Babies are doing it too. My Little Pony, however, is *not.* BTW, new ponies have been out since mid-2003. I wasn't much on Rainbow Brite, my older cousin was more into her, tho I did have a Rainbow Brite comforter blanket FOR-EV-ER. I reduced that blanket to rags, I did. I currently own a pair of RB raver pants (bootleg/homemade/not official merchandise) and the movie, but that's about all. Like Tiffu, I'm more into MLPs *avatar point* and currently spend my "toy" budget on them (both the original 80s and the G3's) . I'm currently waiting for Kmart to mark the castle down to less than $30...(it was $50 originally). I've seen the RB toys in person, and I think they are very ugly. I wouldn't buy them.
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:25 am

WAI-ness!

I have only seen about four or five episodes of Rainbow Brite (and only one recently) but that certainly won't stop me here. That is, if they come out to Australia (which I doubt, due to licensing issues involving DVD production).

You could get Starlite dolls?
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:37 pm

I'm also into MLP more, too, Tiff, though it didn't have as much of an impact on me, I like how there are more characters on the show and it's also inspired a LOT of names for my fanfic characters.
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:40 pm

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:
You could get Starlite dolls?
Yes, it was a big stuffed white horse with rainbow yarn hair. I've seen a lot of people that have them.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Jed-kun
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jed-kun » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:19 pm

I LOVE RAINBOW BRITE!!! I saw the dolls at wal-mart, but they kinda scared me. You don't have to buy the dolls to get the episodes on DVD, though. I found a site that has ALL thirteen episode's on 1 DVD and then the movie on another. The site is
http://lilbb3.tripod.com/dvds/
Oh, and interesting Rainbow Fact. The girl who played Rainbow [she was 6 at the time] has gone on to play Alicia Carmichle[sp?], the older sister of Suzy Carmichle, on Rugrats and All Growed Up. And the guy who played Brian, [spoiler]the kid who got covered in rainbow colors in one of the eps.[/spoiler] has gone on to play Robin on Teen Titans [and I believe the Batman cartoon as well].
Nothing sucks like a Jed-kun - The "sloganize" web site.

(After Scott shoots Logan through a window)
Beast: What's this all about?
Emma: What do you think? Superpowers, a scintillating wit and the best body money can buy... and I still rate below a corpse. ::storms off in a huff::
- from Astonishing X-men #1

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:43 pm

These are copied DVd's taken from VHS tapes and put on to DVD. The quality is very good for these cartoons being as very old as they are!!!
My goal is to share these Dvd's with avid cartoon fans to pass down from generation to generation to come.

These are definetly bootlegs, so I wouldn't expcet proffessional quality to come from these "DVDs." I think I'll just stick to my VHS tapes for now...

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:46 pm

Ni-ban Neko wrote:One of these days, I'm going to have to buy myself a new Rainbow Brite doll. I was obsessed for a while as a little girl. I liked My Little Ponies too, but the movie scared me so much I stopped collecting them. ^^;;
LMAO Really? I loved that damn movie. I watched it over and over. I thought my mother was going to burn it.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

crazydiamond
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by crazydiamond » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:52 pm

the movie scared me so much I stopped collecting them. ^^;;
LMAO Really? I loved that damn movie. I watched it over and over. I thought my mother was going to burn it.
hehehe. Which Movie? The one with the Smooze or Rescue at Midnight Castle (aka Firefly's Adventure)? I think Firefly's adventure's scarier, but I remember renting the Smooze one every time we went to the mini-mart to rent movies.
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then, something happened which unleashed the powers of our imagination: we learned to talk- Stephen Hawking

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:39 pm

crazydiamond wrote:hehehe. Which Movie? The one with the Smooze or Rescue at Midnight Castle (aka Firefly's Adventure)? I think Firefly's adventure's scarier, but I remember renting the Smooze one every time we went to the mini-mart to rent movies.
The smooze. The rescue at midnight castle was a pilot or something, wasn't it? Wasn't it the very first movie/show? Becuase they meet Megan for the first time, and receive the Rainbow of Light.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

DurgaRea
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

The Smooze Movie

Post by DurgaRea » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:04 pm

Tiff wrote:
crazydiamond wrote:hehehe. Which Movie? The one with the Smooze or Rescue at Midnight Castle (aka Firefly's Adventure)? I think Firefly's adventure's scarier, but I remember renting the Smooze one every time we went to the mini-mart to rent movies.
The smooze. The rescue at midnight castle was a pilot or something, wasn't it? Wasn't it the very first movie/show? Becuase they meet Megan for the first time, and receive the Rainbow of Light.
The My Little Pony movie w/ the Smooze, talk about retro, a friend of mine has a copy of that movie on BETA MAX video cassette tape!!!!!
"Anyone without a soulfriend is like a body without a head" - Anam Cara, Irish Pagan quote

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Re: The Smooze Movie

Post by Tiff » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:13 pm

DurgaRea wrote:
The My Little Pony movie w/ the Smooze, talk about retro, a friend of mine has a copy of that movie on BETA MAX video cassette tape!!!!!
XD XD I have a Beta Max!!

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama