My parents are insane.

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:42 pm

Offtopic:: My French Teacher never went into specific detail about what was good in what. She only told us that very few students in France make perfect scores at all. And in Louisiana, if you can even come close to graduating with Honors, many people consider you Above Average Smart. Something about low test scores and a low literacy rate and a high dropout rate here. I don't know.::/Offtopic

Chibi Son Gokou
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Chibi Son Gokou » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:55 pm

I used to get in a lot of trouble when I made even one D when I was in 4th grade or so. But yeah, my parents expect me to make all A's now that I showed them that I can. Whether they get mad at me for making lower than an A or not depends on what class it is and what the teacher is like, etc. If it's a fairly easy subject and the teacher practically gives all the answers to you, then I would understand why my parents would be upset if I didn't get an 'A'. Now if it's a really complicated subject for me and the the teacher isn't that great, then it really isn't that big of a deal to them. I remember taking a C++ class back when I originally wanted to major in Programming and I took a Human Adjustment course to fulfill my general social science requirements for graduation. Both classes I struggled in because I just couldn't grasp the concepts, plus the teachers were not the best. I think my parents were disapointed at the fact that I got a B in College English II cause of the fact that I got As on all the written assignments, yet I got a C on the midterm and probably did just as bad on the final.
(Voice done by Masako Nozawa)

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:52 pm

(posting in old topic (beats self)

I get grades beaten out of me. I had an F once (bevore my 5 week reports, came out the week I was out of school, so I didn't get any work in for that week.) And my parents seriously don't litsen!! I try to explain...but no, its "A B IS A BAD GRADE! YOUR TO SMART FOR B'S!"

And, I am still technicly grounded from my manga because of the F (I got the F in febuary of last year)

Just today, I got scolded for having a 90-94 in english.. when everything else was 95-100 (Progress reports dont give you the exact mark)
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:03 pm

...I have to wonder where all of these parents who "beat" their kids for "bad" grades are coming from.

It just seems very hard to believe.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Dr. Casey
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Dr. Casey » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:23 pm

Getting punished for a single C is pretty overbearing, especially when the kid in question is 18. Once I got to 10th grade (age 16), my parents said that I was old enough that my grades were my own business. Granted, that philosophy was never put to the test since I always made good grades anyway, but...

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:30 pm

You know I used to get upset when my mom would fly off the handle over one bad grade when I had plenty of great ones. Now I understand why, I worked my butt off in the other classes and in the one subject (Math) I slacked off cause I chalked it up to not getting it. I see now that she could tell I was being abit lazy and she wanted me to reach my full potential. Am I defending any parent who dare hits or abuses their kids over bad grades? Hell no but I can understand now why my mom was so hard on me when Id get the one C or D in a group of A's. She wanted me to try harder because grades do count people look back on the grades that slip and wonder about you why. Specially when your applying for college and heck my first major job looked at my highschool transcript (dunno why but meh) and because I had decent grades and a work ethic that teachers from the school backed I was given a job that college kids would have killed for. So Even though it sucks right now hearing your parents harp on grades I have a feeling in a few years you'll get why they are so fanatical about it at times.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

laffinizluv
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by laffinizluv » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:10 pm

That's nothing dude, I got my ass beat for a C. You're tripping. Just bring up your grade and move on.

If you're putting your GB before your school work then it's probably good you got it taken away anyway. Learn to prioritize and focus on the right things and this won't be an issue.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:13 pm

laffinizluv wrote:That's nothing dude, I got my ass beat for a C. You're tripping. Just bring up your grade and move on.

If you're putting your GB before your school work then it's probably good you got it taken away anyway. Learn to prioritize and focus on the right things and this won't be an issue.
ADMIN MODE:

It's not a competition to see whose ass got beat the most, first of all.

Second of all, the original thread is three years old. The Gameboy thing is over and done with, so there's really no need to comment on it.

Third, watch how you talk to people, please. Your tone is a little much.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:55 pm

My parents were never really pushy with grades. I got a D in French but they weren't too bothered.

However (seeing as we are on the subject of parents) my mother is unblievably immature sometimes.

A few weeks ago an incident occured:

My mum was on the computer and my dad was sleeping on the sofa. I decide to watch TV. I put the second half of Wolf's Rain on, then after that ends, Bleach comes on. At 11:15 my mum (having been on the PC for 2-3 hours) comes in

Mum: Do I have to watch this S*it now?

Me: You've been on the computer.

Mum: Can I see what's on?

My Mum checks the TV, there is nothing on she wants to watch

Mum: *Sigh*

Me: It's only on for 15 minutes then you can have what you want on.

Mum: *Pfft* This is boring.

Me: It goes off at half past.

My mum continues to complain and is becoming increasingly annoying

Me: Shutup!

Mum: What!? I'll turn it over in a minute.

Me: Then you'll have to get up.

Mum: I'll just use the remote.

Me: Look, it goes off in 11 minutes.

My dad wakes up

Dad: Look you can't just come in here and expect to take over.

Mum: Was I talking to you? No so shutup.

Arguing occurs then dad goes to bed.

Mum: I'm going to bed in a minute.

5 minutes later

Me: You don't Like it yet you're watching it?

Mum: I can't help it. It's like being in a trance it's so rubbish.

We continue arguing. Bleach ends. My mum gets up to go to bed

Mum: Come on.

Me: What?

Mum: Bedtime.

Me: I don't want to go to bed.

Mum: Tough.

Me: I'm not going.

Mum: Come on.

Me: Your only doing this 'cause you couldn't watch what you wanted to.

Mum: *Smirks* You are trying to tell me what to do? YOU are trying to tell ME what to do?

Me: Yeah I am 'cause I was here first. All you had to do was wait 15 minutes and you couldn't even do that.

Sorry this was so long. I wanted you to get the whole conversation. She really is like a child sometimes. I don't take over when she's watching TV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And last night I was watching Pani Poni Dash and my mum kept comaplaining. She always complains when I watch Anime and it bugs me.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:33 pm

You sound like the child to me.

Your parents' house, their tv, their rules.

Also, telling my parents to shut up would have gotten my mouth smacked as a kid. Just saying.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:18 am

My parents used to smack me as a child but now they just seem to stop me soing things such as going out.

I seem very argumentative I know but nobody was watching the TV. My mum didn't want anything on and it was over in 15 minutes. I don't see why she was being so harsh if she didn't want to watch anything in the first place.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:45 pm

Iced_Cappucino wrote:My parents used to smack me as a child but now they just seem to stop me soing things such as going out.

I seem very argumentative I know but nobody was watching the TV. My mum didn't want anything on and it was over in 15 minutes. I don't see why she was being so harsh if she didn't want to watch anything in the first place.
Becuase it's HER television, and as "unfair" as it may seem to you, you're the minor in her house. If you had walked in and she had been watching a tv show you despise, you probably wouldn't have kept quiet, either...so why expect her to? It isn't even that you were argumentative, per se...you sounded very disrespectful, and i'm sorry, but quite bratty.

And transitioning your punishments from smacking to grounding is quite normal, especially since you're a teenager now and not 5 years old.

Hell, I'm 25, and telling my mother or father to shut up wouldn't result in anything pretty. Then again, I wouldn't dream of saying that to them to begin with.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:20 pm

Everybody has different attitudes, that's just the way I am. I'll leave it here now as this conversation is going nowhere.