Role Playing Pet Peeves

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Role Playing Pet Peeves

Post by Tiff » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:16 pm

Tonight, after browsing around the hub in which I usually roleplay, I can't help but twitch at some of the things that constantly go on and annoy the shit out of me. Therefore, I shall rant about them below. Agree, disagree, add your own.

1) Unbelievable characteristics in a character
What do I mean by that? Some examples include the following: People who play dark elves (drow) but make them ridiculously nice. Uh, no. People who play vampires who are ridiculously nice, not to mention wandering around during the daytime and for some odd reason, are never seen attacking people -_-. A rich, well-bred woman being married to a demon (or something equally stupid). Come on. I understand RPs are FANTASY, but you also have to have SOME realism in there, or it just plain doesn't make sense.

2) People who play children, but seem to think all children talk like undeveloped, idiotic babies.
Example of text from someone who is playing a 7 year old: Yoo ish bein nasty. I hungwy. Pweeze?" -___- I don't know about you guys, but I work with children every week. FOUR year olds don't even speak in this manner, and most of the ones I work with are from bad family situations, so when this person tried to defend their characters' idiotic manner of speaking on "his parents left when he was young", I piped up with the fact that a child three years younger doesn't even speak like that if his parents left. Every child I see being played from say, age 3 (and what the hell is a 3 year old doing in a tavern, anyway? by HIMSELF?) to age 9 is played in this manner. IT'S ANNOYING.

3) God-moding/ridiculously over-powered characters.
"Tee hee my character can go invisible, and teleport, and conjure fire and ice, and make you hate yourself by blinking, and make you his slave, and oh yeah he's a dragon, too."
........Do I even have to explain?

4) Characters that are half angel/demon/dragon/elf/assmonkey/
What i'd like to know is how you can be several HALVES of something -_-

5) Oversexed characters
"Tee hee my char is a stripper she's bi and she'll do anything for sex yeah but she can kill you too be careful she's so sexy and a prostitute too let's cyber"
-_- roleplaying sex with a character is one thing. Roleplaying for the SAKE OF ROLEPLAYING SEX is another.

6) Overly-gorgeous characters.
Characters who, no matter what happens to them, are flawless in every physical way. Their hair isn't brown; it's "chestnut". Their eyes aren't green; they're "emerald". They all have big boobs. They're all Cindy Crawford tall and have tiny waists. They all dress to kill, and have the poise of a princess. Make me gag. How about presenting me with someone with a nice, healthy curvy body, about 5 feet 2, short brown hair, and some freckles?

7) People who fail to use ANY GRAMMAR WHATSOEVER in their sentences while playing.
"He turnqed to look oh hhi how are you today he smiledpulling chairort fro him have good dy today?"
.....WTF?! It takes quite a while to pull the dialog from the action, and then interpret wtf they're trying to say becuase of all of the spelling errors. I have a friend, who, becuase she messes up spelling while trying to think of what to say, types her sentences in Word first, spell-checks, and THEN posts them. Time-consuming, but at least you sound REMOTELY educated.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Lady of the Light
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Lady of the Light » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:26 pm

I agree with most of those. Especially the over-powered ones that won't die or anything, and prance around being all hyper and immortal. God-moding is also bad, although I can understand people doing it when they don't understand the concept of godmoding...
Roleplaying for the sake of roleplaying sex is sick. If comes up, then fine. But just doing it for no reason at all....No. Go write hentai if you want, and keep it to yourself.
Roleplaying is fun, because you can create your own little universes, but when people just start over-doing it, the fun gets sucked out.
Mr. James : Lost a satellite on liftoff today.
Dave : Cost?
Mr. James : 10 million dollars.
Dave : Result?
Mr. James : Extreme set back.
Dave : Milk?
Mr. James : Spilled.
Dave : Gonna cry about it?
Mr. James : Not even.
Dave : I''m sitting on a rather sharp tack.
Mr. James : That's gotta hurt.
Dave : Well, life's a bitch...
Mr. James : ...And then you die.
Dave : My...
Mr. James : ...oh...
Dave : ...my.

Anthy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Re: Role Playing Pet Peeves

Post by Anthy » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:35 pm

Tiff wrote:Tonight, after browsing around the hub in which I usually roleplay, I can't help but twitch at some of the things that constantly go on and annoy the shit out of me. Therefore, I shall rant about them below. Agree, disagree, add your own. etc..
1) Unbelievable characteristics in a character
Like, um... hm... Miyu-like vampires that aren't vulnerable to ANYTHING!?

2) I don't generally RP with kids. =P

I concur! Yes, indeed this is fantasy... but he's a master in all the martial arts, capable of conjuring black holes, and a vampire to boot?

4) Haven't seen it!

5) Oversexed characters
"LOOK AT MY FANTASY BREASTS! I'm always wet for you!" X_X

6) Overly-gorgeous characters.
OMFG. I totally know what you mean. On Furcadia, every other female character, it seems, has full, plump lips and rosy-red cheeks and shimmering _____ locks that fall gracefully/delicately to your character's ass/waist/shoulders/whatever and delicate full breasts and wide shimmering eyes and tender soft skin.... BLAH BLAH THE FUCK BLAH!

More!

Cliches. That one dark mysterious guy with the dark mysterious past wearing the dark mysterious cloak that covers his dark mysterious face that hides dark mysterious tragedy behind dark mysterious eyes. Oh, and that rich handsome vampire who is rich and sexy and handsome and pale. Wheee.

Rip-offs of Fictional/Anime Characters. It's one thing to roleplay that character, but it's another to be a cheap imitation.

I'll think of more after playing s'more Furcadia. =P
Princess AIcon by livejournal user equivalency

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:41 pm

Anthy wrote:
2) I don't generally RP with kids. =P

Cliches. That one dark mysterious guy with the dark mysterious past wearing the dark mysterious cloak that covers his dark mysterious face that hides dark mysterious tragedy behind dark mysterious eyes. Oh, and that rich handsome vampire who is rich and sexy and handsome and pale. Wheee.

Rip-offs of Fictional/Anime Characters. It's one thing to roleplay that character, but it's another to be a cheap imitation.
Nor do I, but I lurk in the room or i'll be playing with someone else, and the damn kids will come in. I can't help but see them post, becuase I have no choice.

And don't forget the fact that he's sitting in the dark shadows of the darkest corner, and mysteriously smiles at the most beautiful girl in the room (which one? there's 15 of them!!) and then mysteriously disappears.

And rip-offs piss me off, especially in a fantasy setting. Why the fuck would Paine show up in medieval times Europe? Why is Spike Speigal wandering around in the tavern on a fantasy renaissance-era island?!

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Anthy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Anthy » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:47 pm

Tiff wrote:And don't forget the fact that he's sitting in the dark shadows of the darkest corner, and mysteriously smiles at the most beautiful girl in the room (which one? there's 15 of them!!) and then mysteriously disappears.
In a puff of dark silver mysterious smoke, Tiff, you can't forget that.
Princess AIcon by livejournal user equivalency

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:54 am

Hence why I could never get into an RP like that, either in real life or online. My worst fear is the power-tripped Game Master, who changes the rules and invariably ruins the game when he sees that things aren't going his way. No thanks ><
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Dinozore
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Dinozore » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:04 am

Starscream wrote:Hence why I could never get into an RP like that, either in real life or online. My worst fear is the power-tripped Game Master, who changes the rules and invariably ruins the game when he sees that things aren't going his way. No thanks ><
I ran afoul of one of them once. That bastard made my RPing life hell for a while...
"Tell my tale to those who ask... tell it truthfully, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence..." last words of Dinobot, "Code of Hero"
"Is that a poisonous elephant in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" ~another forum
"Monster! I''''m going to collide with you indefinitely as my limbs flail wildly about!" ~NPC, Dragon Warrior VII
"I bet you were thinking how hot it would be to see Tsunade with her gates wide open, inviting you..." ~DuneMan
"To use gaming terms, Tyrannosaurus Rex was a camper--- and he pwned his prey!" ~BaronVonAwesome
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!" ~Dinobot

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:06 am

Tiff wrote: 2) People who play children, but seem to think all children talk like undeveloped, idiotic babies.
Example of text from someone who is playing a 7 year old: Yoo ish bein nasty. I hungwy. Pweeze?" -___- I don't know about you guys, but I work with children every week. FOUR year olds don't even speak in this manner, and most of the ones I work with are from bad family situations, so when this person tried to defend their characters' idiotic manner of speaking on "his parents left when he was young", I piped up with the fact that a child three years younger doesn't even speak like that if his parents left. Every child I see being played from say, age 3 (and what the hell is a 3 year old doing in a tavern, anyway? by HIMSELF?) to age 9 is played in this manner. IT'S ANNOYING.

"Tee hee my character can go invisible, and teleport, and conjure fire and ice, and make you hate yourself by blinking, and make you his slave, and oh yeah he's a dragon, too."
........Do I even have to explain?
1) I hate number 3, too, in fact, my only rule with RPGs on my forum (the one I had on my sig for a while) is that I don't want anyone playing perfect characters. That's not much of a problem right now, since the only characters on there right now are Sailor Moon ones (and they're not perfect) but it might be a problem in the future... :roll: (hopes it isn't)

2) Actually, I have the opposite problem with kids when I'm writing fanfiction, I sometimes forget that I'm writing dialogue for kids and not young adults and make them talk TOO advanced (they might be immature, but I have trouble "dumbing-down" characters' speech sometimes, I have to remember that with some others who aren't kids but just either are very stupid or are plain bad at English because it's not their native language).
http://rainbow774.tripod.com/

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:38 pm

I have a few. They're mostly AIM/GJ rpg qualms, 'cause I don't like forum-style RPG-ing that much.

1) When a person plans something and then doesn't get online. My character on my GJ RPG had plans with his "boyfriend" Saturday night. But my friend asked me to go to a Valentine's Party with him, 'cause he was single and didn't wanna go by himself and all our female friends are currently spoken for (he's straight, BTW.) I told him that I couldn't, since I was supposed to be online (which sounds kind of lame looking back, but oh well...). So, I got online, and the other character never logged on. Never. I could have tortured myself by going to a Valentine's Party as a single guy with my single friend, got drunk off my ass with my friend, and ended up having friend-sex that we could look back on and regret for the rest of our lives, but noooo! I just HAD to get online. And the character won't even explain why he wasn't on. He keeps getting on AIM, staying on for hours, but won't talk to anyone. It's beginning to piss me off.

2) When a person's roleplay love-life doesn't go well, so they leave the RP. "Me and my Roleplay boyfriend broke up, so I'm leaving the community. Bye!" It really irks me when people do that. Wouldn't it be easier to roleplay date another person?

3) On Forum RPG's, when a person has one character in every single topic. My friend Ted does this. He RP's at go-gaia (which he keeps trying to convince me to join, but it is too massive and confusing for me) and he posts everywhere. How can one character be in so many different scenarios? It doesn't make sense to me...
Anthy wrote:Cliches. That one dark mysterious guy with the dark mysterious past wearing the dark mysterious cloak that covers his dark mysterious face that hides dark mysterious tragedy behind dark mysterious eyes. Oh, and that rich handsome vampire who is rich and sexy and handsome and pale. Wheee.
And don't forget the bubbly-cute-happy-airhead who messes everything up but has the supreme power and can destoy things merely by blinking her eyes.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:17 pm

I hate god mod-ing. They've ruined all RPing for me, so I just completely stopped playing.
Tiff wrote: And rip-offs piss me off, especially in a fantasy setting. Why the fuck would Paine show up in medieval times Europe? Why is Spike Speigal wandering around in the tavern on a fantasy renaissance-era island?!
That's probably something set in an alternate universe (AU). Someone takes a character and places them in seperate story and or setting. I've read some really nice AU stories/RP logs and AU crossovers. But then their are those who completely distroy the character's original personality leaving only their shell [keeping only their image and name] and replacing it with their own customized personalities. That is what pisses me off about AU fics/RPs.
I don't think it would make me as mad if they would keep some of their old personality traits. I understand that if something is set in an alternate universe, that something things will have to change, but don't change them completely.

People, please. If you're going to PLAY an existing character, make the effort to play them right. Any Game Master that starts/run an RPG based off an existing Anime/TV Series/Book Series/Movie needs to screen character applications by requiring a writing sample.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:47 pm

Interesting topic, guys. My friend wants to start a RPG forum which I'll admin based on Ojamajo Doremi (which isn't like a Fantasy RPG but still) .

Any tips to me on that ? What should I allow ? What should I ban ?

I have never roleplayed of my life, not that I don't want to, but I'm not spontaneous enough to do that T_T
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:19 pm

Tempest wrote:
That's probably something set in an alternate universe (AU). Someone takes a character and places them in seperate story and or setting. I've read some really nice AU stories/RP logs and AU crossovers. But then their are those who completely distroy the character's original personality leaving only their shell [keeping only their image and name] and replacing it with their own customized personalities. That is what pisses me off about AU fics/RPs.
I don't think it would make me as mad if they would keep some of their old personality traits. I understand that if something is set in an alternate universe, that something things will have to change, but don't change them completely.

People, please. If you're going to PLAY an existing character, make the effort to play them right. Any Game Master that starts/run an RPG based off an existing Anime/TV Series/Book Series/Movie needs to screen character applications by requiring a writing sample.
*shakes head* No, I'm talking about a specific place where I roleplay, where you're SUPPOSED to play made-up, fantasy, medieval-setting characters. It specifically says NOT to come in as "Sailor Serenity" and the like. Yet, people do it. They'll use loopholes by taking, say, Faye Valentine, editing her picture a bit, and giving her a sword instead of guns. -_-; Or sometimes they'll leave the damn guns (yes, those types of guns existed at the time, of COURSE they did -___-; ) They'll type up a description that's EXACLTY like Faye's personality, mess with her past a bit, and voila. They have "Faya Valentino" instaed of "Faye Valentine". I hate it.

and I agree completely about playing characters right. Jeez, don't play Mizuno Ami and then have her randomly bitchslap someone and then smoke a cigarrette. Don't change her sexuality. Don't dress her in slutty clothes.
Interesting topic, guys. My friend wants to start a RPG forum which I'll admin based on Ojamajo Doremi (which isn't like a Fantasy RPG but still) .

Any tips to me on that ? What should I allow ? What should I ban ?

Use common sense. If someone comes in claiming to be a ninja (I don't know anything about Ojamajo Doremi, so I'm just being generic here) and then busts out with screwed up telepathy and teleportation powers, call t hem on it. Asking for a writing sample, as Tempest says, is a great idea. Derek ALWAYS gets a sample before starting an RP, and I usually run a "trial game" if I run one to test out the players' abilities. Ban God-moding (using ridiculous powers and being overkill without logic or reason) if people persist in doing it.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:43 pm

Tiff wrote: *shakes head* No, I'm talking about a specific place where I roleplay, where you're SUPPOSED to play made-up, fantasy, medieval-setting characters. It specifically says NOT to come in as "Sailor Serenity" and the like. Yet, people do it. They'll use loopholes by taking, say, Faye Valentine, editing her picture a bit, and giving her a sword instead of guns. -_-; Or sometimes they'll leave the damn guns (yes, those types of guns existed at the time, of COURSE they did -___-; ) They'll type up a description that's EXACLTY like Faye's personality, mess with her past a bit, and voila. They have "Faya Valentino" instaed of "Faye Valentine". I hate it.
Oooooh. OK. I misunderstood you. ^^;
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:09 pm

Tiff wrote: and I agree completely about playing characters right. Jeez, don't play Mizuno Ami and then have her randomly bitchslap someone and then smoke a cigarrette. Don't change her sexuality. Don't dress her in slutty clothes.
Personally, that's not an issue with me. One time I had a Yahoo! group RPG that was based on one of my fanfics and the two people who joined it kinda messed up my characters' traits (they both had a tendency to use this equation:
tall and bratty = vain, sexy, and prematurely having puberty...one of the characters was a 9-year old)
but I had fun anyway. (of course, it would be hypocritical of me to make a rule against messing up the characters anyway)

The Realm of the Dessert Senshi. My fanfic series that is set in Crystal Tokyo and includes foreign Senshi, fat Senshi, a Senshi in a wheelchair and a magical hyrax.

Celexa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Celexa » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:37 pm

I agree with all of these pet peeves. Some others I have are the sad and lonely character with the dark mysterious past that nobody likes when suddenly one day they awaken with great power and point a finger at something to make an explosion in a five mile radius. (that was long)

I just hate Mary Sues in general. Not just the perfect body, but the perfect soul too. She loves everyone, graceful, grew up rich, never argues, never even killed an ant. Nobody has a perfect personality. Unless your god-moding, which is really really annoying, no character is perfect at all.

Also what's REALLY annoying is when the person who's rping an evil doer lets loose a blast that could kill, while the other rpers are going along with this and having their characters falling, bleeding, dying, etc., the Mary Sue of the group does the following:
Mary Sue: *Emerges in a shining light above all the hurt people* You hurt my friends, how dare you! Die! *Lets loose a blast that instantly kills the evil-doer, then puts a full healing spell on all her friends*

Me: This is coming from the kid who doesn't know what Viagra is!
Ko: It's cold medicine, right?
Our Group: NO!!!
Me: Can I just say?
Dylan: Sure, it's no weirder than what normally comes out of your mouth.
Me: (says what)
Ko: .....What's that?
Me: ......*starts crying*
Carley: STEVE! STEVE GET OVER HERE AND TELL KO WHAT VIAGRA DOES!
Steve: See, it's like this: The bridge goes up and the soldiers rush out....

Tiff: Aww, you killed someone for me. That's so sweet in a f***ed up sort of way!

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:15 pm

Celexa wrote:I agree with all of these pet peeves. Some others I have are the sad and lonely character with the dark mysterious past that nobody likes when suddenly one day they awaken with great power and point a finger at something to make an explosion in a five mile radius. (that was long)

I just hate Mary Sues in general. Not just the perfect body, but the perfect soul too. She loves everyone, graceful, grew up rich, never argues, never even killed an ant. Nobody has a perfect personality. Unless your god-moding, which is really really annoying, no character is perfect at all.

Also what's REALLY annoying is when the person who's rping an evil doer lets loose a blast that could kill, while the other rpers are going along with this and having their characters falling, bleeding, dying, etc., the Mary Sue of the group does the following:
Mary Sue: *Emerges in a shining light above all the hurt people* You hurt my friends, how dare you! Die! *Lets loose a blast that instantly kills the evil-doer, then puts a full healing spell on all her friends*
TT_TT *is a Mary Sue* I'm a Mary Sue in FanFic writing, not RPs and I'm also guilty of alot of the things you've listed, but I make a stab at being different. I hate making and using predictable and stereotypical Mary Sue characters.

I so agree with you on your first point. It's like the character has amnesia or something and one day *insert some generic plight* and his/her mysterious power awakens. He/She points her finger and a car blows up. then *cry*sob* "W-what am I!? How can I be doing these things". I mean, if you're going to create a character with a background similar to this, give them penalties and consequences for their actions. Guys, as well as girls, are guilty of this. Not just Mary Sues.

Rainbow
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Rainbow » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:19 pm

Celexa wrote:I agree with all of these pet peeves. Some others I have are the sad and lonely character with the dark mysterious past that nobody likes when suddenly one day they awaken with great power and point a finger at something to make an explosion in a five mile radius. (that was long)
Not to get too off-topic, but that sounds a LOT like Hotaru/Sailor Saturn. Maybe people are basing their own characters off of her?

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:18 am

Well, to be fair, by the time Sailor Saturn awakens, she's friends with Usagi, Chibi-Usa, and to an extend Mamoru and the other inners, and to them she is not so "dark and mysteriouis" anymore. Further, she doesn't go ballistic for no reason, as the previous posters suggest with their pet peeves; rather, she gradually transitions from Hotaru to M9 to Sailor Saturn, who's goal is to cause a world-wide death and rebirth.

Ok, I'm done now </off-topic>
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:41 am

Starscream wrote:Well, to be fair, by the time Sailor Saturn awakens, she's friends with Usagi, Chibi-Usa, and to an extend Mamoru and the other inners, and to them she is not so "dark and mysteriouis" anymore. Further, she doesn't go ballistic for no reason, as the previous posters suggest with their pet peeves; rather, she gradually transitions from Hotaru to M9 to Sailor Saturn, who's goal is to cause a world-wide death and rebirth.

Ok, I'm done now </off-topic>
Exactly. I think Celexa was aiming more toward the lines of someone who just..RANDOMLY jumps up, raises her hand, and a huge beam of light strong enough to wipe out all of europe appears in her palm, and she shoots it at the enemy, declaring her love for her friends, etc, etc. Then she gets all overwhelmed and confused about her powers, but yet, she still has them, and there are no consequences whatsoever. In other words, it's the perfect "magic girl awakening" scenario.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Ni-ban Neko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Ni-ban Neko » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:13 pm

I've never really RP'ed online, but a really bad DM/GM can really muck with a game. This happened in my first D&D campaign, where the DM had everyone levelling up and the story going along really well, then decided one day, "Oh, by the way, you've been sucked into hell, and you're all back to level 1, and you don't have any of the equipment you bought."

Every single player quit at once. We all just grabbed our stuff and walked out the door.

I did play a child character in my last campaign, but the design of things called for everyone to start out young, so the oldest character in our group was about 14. Part of what was cool about the campaign was that the characters progressed really naturally - when we last played together, the characters had just started at new schools. It was a nifty campaign, and I wish I could play a session sometime.