Role Playing Pet Peeves

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:16 am

I dont know if you all know what "para" rpg is, but its something I find really extremely annoying.

Its a from of online/forum RPG The concept is that you have to describe every single detail on every action you do in an almost Tolkien way.

Now sometimes you want to do this, but with para RPG you have to do it EVERY post. Diehard para players don't realize that sometimes you only need one line to describe something, and if you ever post a one line response they wont acknowledge it, or worse they will flame you for it.

Basically you not only have to describe what your doing, but also how the wind is blowing your hair, how the street shines from reflected sun or moonlight. It get's old pretty damn quickly
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:43 pm

Ugh Im sure ive read this mentioned before but Im truly sick of people who make Uber characters by going threw loop holes with prestige classes (dnd) or nerfed formulas (mud games) to make super charged characters who act like not even the mod or Dm can kill them. They always end up being the jerk of the party snooty harrasing to the point where they are asked to leave the game. Or if not act as if everyone has to kick their ass.

Another thing are Rule's lawyers in D & D I dont get much time to play no more and right now online is the only option I have. But even when I played IRL you had the one guy who would spend 15 mins arguing with everyone about an illegal move, attack whatever ruining the mood of the game then half the play time is eaten up because of the ass. Get your damned nose out the manual and act out your friggin character. Ive already decided till I can find another decent Dungeons and Dragons rp online im just going to avoid it not worth the eye strain or headaches.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:13 pm

look at me reviving old threads :)

anyway I actually do have something to add.

One thing that can really ruin a good game is when people try to play as characters that are not fit for the setting. Like once I was in an RPG that was set in three kingdoms era china (the same setting the dynasty warriors series of video games is set). We were using the BESM D20 game system for this. Anyway in this game one of the players played as a shape shifter, and another played as a magical girl. Now normally I have no problem with those character classes, but this game was supposed to be a "historical" game not a fantasy one so why the hell did the GM allow this??? I actually found out why a few weeks after the game ended. It was a compromise because both wanted to play as mecha pilots. *sigh* Suffice it to say that game didnt end well (lasted 2 sessions if I remember correctly)

Also on the thing Tiff said about playing as "nice" vampires. It actually can be done. A good example is in the whitewolf vampire game. You have a score called "humanity" and the more you have the less of a monster you are, and you can either gain or lose points in it depending on your actions. One thing that has to be remembered when trying to play as the "nice" vampire is that you are still a vampire. You have this blood drinking side of you that isn't going to go away just because your squeamish about killing, or like giving toys to orphans or whatever. So basically a nice vampire can be done, it just has to be done correctly, and you get no special set of rules for your character if you consider them nice. Sunlight still kills you, you must drink blood, etc,,,
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:38 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:
Also on the thing Tiff said about playing as "nice" vampires. It actually can be done. A good example is in the whitewolf vampire game. You have a score called "humanity" and the more you have the less of a monster you are, and you can either gain or lose points in it depending on your actions. One thing that has to be remembered when trying to play as the "nice" vampire is that you are still a vampire. You have this blood drinking side of you that isn't going to go away just because your squeamish about killing, or like giving toys to orphans or whatever. So basically a nice vampire can be done, it just has to be done correctly, and you get no special set of rules for your character if you consider them nice. Sunlight still kills you, you must drink blood, etc,,,
I know, I've played Whitewolf. But i'm talking about a chat-based game that isn't based on any whitewolf-based stats, or any stats at all such as humanity and such. I'm talking your regular run of the mill vampire who should be out stalking people at night so they can get their blood fill.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:46 pm

Im tending not to like rpg style games chat or otherwise that make it impossible or near impossible to effectively play an evil character yet allow you to play a race that can be considered evil. If I want to play a Drow more then likely she is not gonna be the puppy hugging nice wench the rest of the players are. Yet for some reason if you play an evil character even if your doing it on the sly as to not tip off others yet alot of the game rules ive come up against makes it hard to do so and enjoy the game. And in the one D&D game online that I do enjoy you cannot even pick that alignment as a choice yet you can play a drow only call yourself superior..um okay fine Ive never been one to like the whole you have to be evil just because your something. But im kinda sick of the whole having to be good crammed down my throat, and playing chaotic neutral doesnt help when people get confused when your nice one moment then flip and stabbed them in the back.

Ugh my kingdom for diversity in alignments and more who understand alignments better.

wink568
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by wink568 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:58 am

I miss online RPing. I used to do it in the AOL chats, but since we got rid of AOL, I haven't been able to find a way. I did play a couple SM characters, but it was in a "modern" era, so it wasn't a big deal, and I felt that I played them really well. It makes me sad faced because I live far away from my DM now, and only get to game every other weekend.

I was always really annoyed with the super powerful characters, as well. We didn't use dice, but at the same time, you had to be realistic. I mean you couldn't just go: ::He throws his hand out, and so-and-so drops dead::. I mean, seriously. It's not fair.

I do play D&D right now, and it annoys me when people just stop showing up. We had an awesome campaign going, and I was just getting to the point where my character was starting to look awesome, and now we have to start over because two people wouldn't show up anymore. Now we have to start over from level 1 with new characters. -_-

I also hate the like where we're level 5, and we see two dragons, and one person is like "I draw my sword and charge in." And then they get mad when they get devoured because we ran away. Just because you're a fighter doesn't mean you have to be stupid about it.

Another one, the character that spends the entire campaign plotting to kill the party. The DM I game with now says that if you try to kill the party, and die, you don't get to make a new character, you're done.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:14 pm

wink568 wrote:I miss online RPing. I used to do it in the AOL chats, but since we got rid of AOL, I haven't been able to find a way. I did play a couple SM characters, but it was in a "modern" era, so it wasn't a big deal, and I felt that I played them really well. It makes me sad faced because I live far away from my DM now, and only get to game every other weekend.
Trust me I feel your pain when I had to move I had to leave my friends and my weekly games behind. Havent played Tabletop in almost 3 years sigh. But I do play it online now on DDO its fun but not like having actual people to RP with alot of hack and slash.
I was always really annoyed with the super powerful characters, as well. We didn't use dice, but at the same time, you had to be realistic. I mean you couldn't just go: ::He throws his hand out, and so-and-so drops dead::. I mean, seriously. It's not fair.
They always bug me especially the ones (ive said it before) who use loopholes to make their characters uber, alot of times they are just plain jerks who dont believe in the party working together they just want to kill everything themselves..and dont get me started on treasure hogs ugh.
I do play D&D right now, and it annoys me when people just stop showing up. We had an awesome campaign going, and I was just getting to the point where my character was starting to look awesome, and now we have to start over because two people wouldn't show up anymore. Now we have to start over from level 1 with new characters. -_-
That is very rude I had to inform my buddies ahead of time why I couldnt come back and they understood. I think if people are gonna leave they should have valid reasons and if they can try to find replacements for themselves.
I also hate the like where we're level 5, and we see two dragons, and one person is like "I draw my sword and charge in." And then they get mad when they get devoured because we ran away. Just because you're a fighter doesn't mean you have to be stupid about it.

Another one, the character that spends the entire campaign plotting to kill the party. The DM I game with now says that if you try to kill the party, and die, you don't get to make a new character, you're done.
For the first one I chalk it up to the uber player again. I also personally hate when they whine when they die and DM's who readily give into such players by letting them miraculously ressurrect. Ive had plenty of characters I painstakenly made die sometimes threw tough enemies sometimes threw accident or stupidity when I first started learning. But I never whinned just made the new character and hoped it worked with the party. I also hate games run that dont leave room for rp just going in and killing things when your playing with other people make no sense. I like character interactions.

And anyone who tries to take down the entire party without a valid stradegy deserves a bluebolt no questions asked. Now in an evil ran game (based off the book of vile darkness) I wanted to run to be the top dog you had to off other party members. Stuff like that I can see making it valid. But if its just a normal run and someone wants to be evil that way if they fail its their problem and they shouldnt whine when the party and Dm eventually kill them off.

Whinners ruin the game period along with rules lawyers.

wink568
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by wink568 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:41 pm

Omg! I just started RPing in chat rooms again, and it has really gone down hill!

What's with all the people who don't know the different between IC and OOC? It get confusing, because you can't tell it's them talking and not their character.

Plus, the little girls who refuse to RP unless their character's boyfriend is around. Example, you get the girls who are all like "where's my suuuuuuuukkiiiiiii"

Ugh, I give up trying to find a decent chat based RP!

I had to get that off my chest. \ :roll:

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:24 am

here I go reviving this thread again, but like before I actually do have something to add.

I hate it when other players try to "fix" your characters.

One of the most frustrating examples I can think of is once I was playing as a blind girl in a game and just about every session I got "Oh I can cure her eyes!!" for other players.

I was like "You know I gave her that disability for a reason, 1. It's part of her background as a character, and 2. I wanted to challenge myself to see if I could properly portray that kind of character."

I mean whats the point in giving a character a "flaw" if it just gets cured in the first session.

Ive faced other examples as well. When I was doing a character generation session for a table top game once someone told me I wasnt making my character properly and told me everything I needed to change. I polietly declined his help but I really wanted to say "Who the hell are you to tell me I'm doing this wrong? I wasn't aware there was a "correct" way to do this, and besided your not the GM so shove off."

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:07 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:here I go reviving this thread again, but like before I actually do have something to add.

One of the most frustrating examples I can think of is once I was playing as a blind girl in a game and just about every session I got "Oh I can cure her eyes!!" for other players.

I was like "You know I gave her that disability for a reason, 1. It's part of her background as a character, and 2. I wanted to challenge myself to see if I could properly portray that kind of character."

I mean whats the point in giving a character a "flaw" if it just gets cured in the first session.

Ive faced other examples as well. When I was doing a character generation session for a table top game once someone told me I wasnt making my character properly and told me everything I needed to change. I polietly declined his help but I really wanted to say "Who the hell are you to tell me I'm doing this wrong? I wasn't aware there was a "correct" way to do this, and besided your not the GM so shove off."
I've gotten that problem a lot before, too. It's annoying as fuck.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:39 pm

Tiff wrote:
Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:here I go reviving this thread again, but like before I actually do have something to add.

I've gotten that problem a lot before, too. It's annoying as fuck.
It really is. I made a profile in which the character was deaf that was rejected from an RP site . She could sign, read lips, and use mechanical equipment to interpret for her, but she was unable to hear more than the loudest explosions. I was told that it wasn't a plausible disability in that universe, since someone could be healed of injuries pretty quickly, plus it was insisted she would have to rely on radio chatter in order to communicate. (Both of which lead into speedy Sci-Fi healing, another pet peeve of mine.)

I never redid the profile because when I asked questions about the feedback given, I was completely ignored. Screw that.
What is life? What if all it is is God playing a game of The Sims? Or even his own version of Final Fantasy? ~Me

bushinoki
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by bushinoki » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:31 am

well, for the "god moding" part, I have a funny story about that. My old DM from way back in the day, had someone walk in with a pre made char sheet. Well, this guy had the Uber God Mode going with something along the lines of a lvl 30/31 Rogue/Sorcerer and humongous enchantments on his armaments. Well, ole DM didn't quite buy it, but let it slide. Only, every time there was a battle, the patron deity of whoever they were fighting would step in to assist with some random demon or fiend from Hell/Tartarus/The Abyss. After three or four sessions of this, God Mode starts to complain.

Well, the next session, DM walks in with a Ravenloft game guide. We start campaigning as usual, but early on, he puts us on a barge with the stupidest Captain in Faerun (yes, this is Forgotten Realms). Captain doesn't dock the boat before sunset. Those of us who've been playing with the DM for a while take the hint and jump overboard at sunset. God Mode does not. In fact, he gives us blank looks, as he doesn't know he's about to get sucked into a hellish world, lose half his enchantments, his Deity's divine favor, and be cut off from the rest of us. He stays on board to be sucked into Ravenloft, and doesn't survive his first battle. Turns out, he had a set of AD&D and Forgotten Reams Campaign guides at his house, but had never actually played. Didn't know about concepts such as "Planeswalking" and "Alternate worlds". Humbling experience having to start over with a lvl 1 char, when the rest of us were lvl 4+. He learned his lesson though, don't cheat on chars, and build with the rest of us.

Some of us eventually ended up with "God Moded" chars, which we quickly retired to some random plane with all the [insert vice of choice here]. No fun when you've got three people with lvl 20+ chars with all the divine enchantments you could dream of, and everyone else is lvl 4-10

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:19 pm

I really hate it when arguments erupt or one person goes completely off topic without warning and everyhting just gets screwed up. I've had numerous occassions where I completely forgot what was going on because everyone's off on their own little conversation.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:15 pm

Iced_Cappucino wrote:I really hate it when arguments erupt or one person goes completely off topic without warning and everyhting just gets screwed up. I've had numerous occassions where I completely forgot what was going on because everyone's off on their own little conversation.
oh yeah. Ive had entire sessions ruined by this.

I had to threaten to dock exp points one time just to get them to knock it off.

Jamesares
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Jamesares » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:19 am

Speaking on Overpowered/God Modding. I use to play with this one guy who had a uhealth obsession with Necromancer, which not only would this clash with everyones elses alignments, but he would use a book design for the DM to build it, and thus his character would be insanely powerful, one example was when he raised the corpse of a Dragon. The only reason he got away with it was the DM was one of his best friends, but it annoyed the rest of us
There Shall Come One After Me
And From Death’s Icy Grip
She Shall Bring Light Upon The World Once More
And Placed Upon A Crystal Throne
Her Light Shall Shine Forever More
-Rise of Crystal Tokyo 1st Prophecy

“Oh, yes, I can just see it now. I’ll tell the others how I tried to talk you out of this like a reasonable, responsible friend, and you threw a Deep Submerge at me.”
-Rei to Michiru, Long Way Down by RadiantBeam

"I rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints, the Sinners are much more fun."
-Bill Joel, Only The Good Die Young

Words of Advice:
1. Always remember you are normal, it everyone else that "weird".
2. Remember Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
3. Jack may be nimble and Jack may be quick, but he still burned his a** on the candlestick.

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:06 pm

Jamesares wrote:Speaking on Overpowered/God Modding. I use to play with this one guy who had a uhealth obsession with Necromancer, which not only would this clash with everyones elses alignments, but he would use a book design for the DM to build it, and thus his character would be insanely powerful, one example was when he raised the corpse of a Dragon. The only reason he got away with it was the DM was one of his best friends, but it annoyed the rest of us
Yes. DM/GM showing favoritism towards one player over another is pretty much a sure fire way to totally screw up a game.