Evanescence

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Rindesayu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Evanescence

Post by Rindesayu » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:31 pm

What do you all think of this band?

Currently,Evanescence is my absolute favorite band.I could listen to Amy Lee and the gang all day and never tire of the dark,beautiful,intoxicating music they've produced over the past couple years.

One of their best songs,in my opinion,is 'My Immortal'.So gorgeous.I get teary-eyed every time I listen to it.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:41 pm

Evanescence is indeed one of my favorites. I have their CD, and can blast it over and over without getting tired of it. "Bring me to life" is my favorite, but My Immortal really touches me, too. Their lyrics hit me right to the soul, and that says a lot to me in terms of music. Amy Lee's voice is absolutely gorgeous, and the power behind their music touches me.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:27 pm

I love Evanescence too. Right now I'd day that they're only behind No Doubt and Garbage for my favorite band.

I found out not so long ago that they had a CD called Origin before Fallen. I absolutely love "Away From Me" on that CD. So I wanna hear more songs from Origin.

I plan on buying Fallen one of these days too. I especially love Going Under.
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:36 pm

LadyFlameSniper wrote: I found out not so long ago that they had a CD called Origin before Fallen. I absolutely love "Away From Me" on that CD. So I wanna hear more songs from Origin.
I had no idea. I'll have to look into that.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:41 pm

*joygasms*

Does that explain everything? I love them. "Whisper" is my favourite, but I also love "My Immortal" "Hello" and "Haunted." I love them all, but those are my favourites. In fact, LadyFlameSniper said it best:
Right now I'd day that they're only behind No Doubt and Garbage for my favorite band.
Those are my three favourite bands as well.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Specter
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Specter » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:33 pm

Eh...they're ok, but I think if I listened to them too much they might get old. A real sticking point for me is if I can listen to the band for a week without getting old. Also, out of the two songs I heard I only liked Bring Me to Life.

Edit: I enjoy Garbage also, but I only liked one of No Doubt's songs (Hella Good)
He's got to make his own mistakes
and learn to mend the mess he makes
He's old enough to know what's right
and young enough not to choose it
He's noble enough to win the world
but weak enough to lose it - Rush - "New World Man"

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:10 pm

Where I live, Evanescence is so overplayed. I cannot stand them. They sound like a Linkin Park rip off with a female singer. They stole the video idea from Eminem's "I Am" with the singer falling off the building in slow motion, which, Eminem came up with years ago.

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:33 pm

RoastedTwinkies wrote:Where I live, Evanescence is so overplayed. I cannot stand them. They sound like a Linkin Park rip off with a female singer. They stole the video idea from Eminem's "I Am" with the singer falling off the building in slow motion, which, Eminem came up with years ago.
I don't really see the LP resemblance at all. I can't stand Linkin Park. All their songs are "Wah I hate you I hate me I suck" while Evanescence sings about different things. Plus, Evanescence's songs are a lot darker. But, to each his/her own I guess...

How did they steal that idea from the Eminem video? She didn't fall in slow motion, she just fell. And she didn't bounce off the ground at the end, nor did she intentionally jump. Their two completely different concepts. Besides, if you wanna be all "They both fell! She fell later! She stole it!" then didn't Eminem steal the falling scene from the first person who ever jumped off a building?
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:43 pm

ParaKiss_Groupie wrote:
RoastedTwinkies wrote:Where I live, Evanescence is so overplayed. I cannot stand them. They sound like a Linkin Park rip off with a female singer. They stole the video idea from Eminem's "I Am" with the singer falling off the building in slow motion, which, Eminem came up with years ago.
I don't really see the LP resemblance at all. I can't stand Linkin Park. All their songs are "Wah I hate you I hate me I suck" while Evanescence sings about different things. Plus, Evanescence's songs are a lot darker. But, to each his/her own I guess...

How did they steal that idea from the Eminem video? She didn't fall in slow motion, she just fell. And she didn't bounce off the ground at the end, nor did she intentionally jump. Their two completely different concepts. Besides, if you wanna be all "They both fell! She fell later! She stole it!" then didn't Eminem steal the falling scene from the first person who ever jumped off a building?
if that's your take on it, then wouldn't EVERY concept for a video be STOLEN from real life?? It seems that every single video released is COMPLETELY unoriginal then.

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:15 pm

RoastedTwinkies wrote:
ParaKiss_Groupie wrote:

if that's your take on it, then wouldn't EVERY concept for a video be STOLEN from real life?? It seems that every single video released is COMPLETELY unoriginal then.
That's not what I think. I made that point in defense of my real point, that the videos for "Bring Me To Life" and "I Am" are completely different.

LadyFlameSniper
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by LadyFlameSniper » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:05 pm

ParaKiss_Groupie wrote:*joygasms*

Does that explain everything? I love them. "Whisper" is my favourite, but I also love "My Immortal" "Hello" and "Haunted." I love them all, but those are my favourites. In fact, LadyFlameSniper said it best:
Right now I'd day that they're only behind No Doubt and Garbage for my favorite band.
Those are my three favourite bands as well.
*glomps Parakiss*

^_^ It's hard to find people who like all three. And I noticed awhile ago that your old sig was the same as the one I have Gamefaqs msg boards currently, except it's only the first line. (from "The World is Not Enough")

And well I like Linkin Park too. But they're not as good as nor the same style as Evanescence. LP is like alternative rock. I'm pretty sure Evanescence is goth rock and/or nu metal.
"This guy are sick."- Aeris (Final Fantasy VII)

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:19 pm

Even though Evanescence was originally a Christian Rock band, and Linkin Park wasn't...not to mention that Linkin Park's singer is male, while Evanescence's is female. Also, let's not forget the messages conveyed in their songs. As ParaKiss said, Linkin Park (who I happen to like, but what he said IS true) tends to have songs that are negative, whereas a lot of Evanescene's songs appear to be cries for help or reflect faith of some sort...such as "Bring Me to Life". The first time I heard that song, I thought "that sounds as though they could be talking about God", and that was BEFORE I found out they were a Christian band.
It seems to me you're the one that called them unoriginal. ParaKiss was making the point that you can't trace their "falling off a building" to Eminem's "falling off a building" simply becuase of the fact that they both fell off of a building. Come on. That'd be like if I said "oh my god, *insert band here* COMPLETELY ripped off *insert another band here* becuase they had a cow in their video."

I find it quite amusing that you jumped on me becuase I didn't "back up" my reasonings for finding Hanson annoying, but yet you gave no reasons for disliking Evanscence other than the fact that they're overplayed where you live, and they "ripped off" Eminem, which isn't even a fact.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

KoiNoVash
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by KoiNoVash » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:09 pm

I *heart* Evanescence! I just saw their "My Immortal" video ::sigh:: I feel so sad when I hear that song. I'm so impressed with the number of grammies that they won! They really deserved them. I got a little tired of the "Bring Me to Life" video since they had it on the Blockbuster trailor DVD for two months straight... but I love their CD all the same, I was heartbroken when it go scratched. :cry:
http://usagicookies.livejournal.com (stalk me, you know you wanna)

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:26 pm

Tiff wrote:
Even though Evanescence was originally a Christian Rock band, and Linkin Park wasn't...not to mention that Linkin Park's singer is male, while Evanescence's is female. Also, let's not forget the messages conveyed in their songs. As ParaKiss said, Linkin Park (who I happen to like, but what he said IS true) tends to have songs that are negative, whereas a lot of Evanescene's songs appear to be cries for help or reflect faith of some sort...such as "Bring Me to Life". The first time I heard that song, I thought "that sounds as though they could be talking about God", and that was BEFORE I found out they were a Christian band.
It seems to me you're the one that called them unoriginal. ParaKiss was making the point that you can't trace their "falling off a building" to Eminem's "falling off a building" simply becuase of the fact that they both fell off of a building. Come on. That'd be like if I said "oh my god, *insert band here* COMPLETELY ripped off *insert another band here* becuase they had a cow in their video."

I find it quite amusing that you jumped on me becuase I didn't "back up" my reasonings for finding Hanson annoying, but yet you gave no reasons for disliking Evanscence other than the fact that they're overplayed where you live, and they "ripped off" Eminem, which isn't even a fact.

Ok, ok. *raises hands in the air* you definately got me there and I sincerely apologize for my hypocracy. The reasons for my loathing of Evanescence are...

1.) Amy's voice is much too high and annoying and it gives me a headache
2.) Their lyrics mean nothing to me; I just can't relate to them
3.) uhh... I'll save the last reason out of Valentine's cheer, so topic doesn't become heated.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:29 pm

RoastedTwinkies wrote:

3.) uhh... I'll save the last reason out of Valentine's cheer, so topic doesn't become heated.
1) Amy's voice sounds quite close to alto, low soprano to me.
2) I can accept that. Makes sense.
3) It's not valentine's day anymore.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:40 pm

Tiff wrote:
RoastedTwinkies wrote:

1) Amy's voice sounds quite close to alto, low soprano to me.
2) I can accept that. Makes sense.
3) It's not valentine's day anymore.
1.) I get chronic headaches and migrains, so I'm more sensitive to sound than the next person. The point is that Amy's voice sounds high to me.
3.) how about post Valentine's cheer? :P

Jed-kun
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jed-kun » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:01 pm

I like Evanescence, my favorite song is probably "Everybody's Fool" and not just because I get a mental picture of Amy bitch-slapping Brittney Spears. I was happy that Evanescence won at the Grammy's, and I thought that Amy handled the sittuation well when :twitchy eye: 50 Cent desided to act like a baby and walk accross the stage durring their acceptance speach.
Nothing sucks like a Jed-kun - The "sloganize" web site.

(After Scott shoots Logan through a window)
Beast: What's this all about?
Emma: What do you think? Superpowers, a scintillating wit and the best body money can buy... and I still rate below a corpse. ::storms off in a huff::
- from Astonishing X-men #1

Hino_Rei552
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Hino_Rei552 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:48 pm

I positively LOVE Evanescence. Next to Linkin Park, they are my all time favorite band. The lyrics are so amazing, and I can really relate to them. The first song of theirs that I heard was "Bring Me To Life", and I instantly fell in love with it, and I got the CD soon after. Right now, my favorite songs of theirs are "Whisper", "Taking Over Me", "Everybody's Fool", and "Haunted". I think that they totally deserved every Grammy they got.

And just as a side note- I lovvvve Linkin Park. They freakin' rule.
My LJ
My artwork

"It''s easy to write a jam that people wanna dance to. The hard ones to write are the deep, beautiful, pretty songs."
~Andre 3000

Anthy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Anthy » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:20 pm

Gwen Stefani fell off a building, too, in "Ex-Girlfried" I think.

Evanescence is awesome. I love Amy Lee's voice and especially her sense of style. I saw her "princess corpse" dress and wow... I wish I could sew that well ^^;
Princess AIcon by livejournal user equivalency

Jed-kun
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jed-kun » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:01 pm

Anthy wrote: I love Amy Lee's voice and especially her sense of style. I saw her "princess corpse" dress and wow... I wish I could sew that well ^^;
Did Amy make that dress? It's the one that was black leather and pink lace right? It was amazing!
Nothing sucks like a Jed-kun - The "sloganize" web site.

(After Scott shoots Logan through a window)
Beast: What's this all about?
Emma: What do you think? Superpowers, a scintillating wit and the best body money can buy... and I still rate below a corpse. ::storms off in a huff::
- from Astonishing X-men #1