Evanescence

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:55 pm

Guys... I'm in love with Evanescence songs... and I kinda can sing them...

... but since when
I can't stand Linkin Park. All their songs are "Wah I hate you I hate me I suck"
is bad ?

After all...

"Bring me to life" = someone "emotionally dead" pleads for help
"My immortal" = someone longs for someone that has gone for long

Ami doesn't say she's a bad girl, but the songs are kinda negative, too. Hear the "I want to die" in My Tourniquet and you'll see.

I'm not saying people don't have the right do dislike LP though. I love them cause Chester (the singer) has a unique voice, I think, he can scream in a song and still make it bearable and sometimes enjoyable! And when he sings softly, I just love it. As in "Numb" .

^_^

But I love Evanescence too much to forget them. I'm not as good as Ami, but if I post a wav of My Immortal or Bring me to life, who will advise me :) ?
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:27 pm

Akarui Kibuno wrote:Guys... I'm in love with Evanescence songs... and I kinda can sing them...

... but since when
I can't stand Linkin Park. All their songs are "Wah I hate you I hate me I suck"
is bad ?

After all...

"Bring me to life" = someone "emotionally dead" pleads for help
"My immortal" = someone longs for someone that has gone for long

Ami doesn't say she's a bad girl, but the songs are kinda negative, too. Hear the "I want to die" in My Tourniquet and you'll see.
I love both bands. Evanescence, I love more, but I do like Linkin Park. However, I have to disagree on your analysis of the lyrics.

Bring me to life - yes, she's calling out for HELP...NOT wishing to die. If she hated herself, she wouldn't give a shit about help, and therefore, wouldn't be asking for life. She's calling out for a certain someone (God, IMO) to come and save her.

My immortal - Uh...she's longing for someone, yes, but if you read the whole song: "and i've held your hand through all of these years
but you still have all of me" that shows ME that she's expressing her utter devotion to this person, which is not so negative in my opinion.

Honestly, I think all of Evanscence's songs have an underlying statement of "I'll be strong no matter what" behind them.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:37 pm

My bad, Tiffu-san, cause I was saying "negative" as "sad" ^^;;

Meaning, Evanescence lyrics are sad (but good :P ) as well as the LP lyrics which are as sad... but one of the differences is the level of pessimism in them (I quoted one "I want to die" in one Evanescence song) depending on the song.

But, hehe, I don't want to go further into this anyway because I'm sure that, if we go beyond this point, the discussion will go heated if people start ranting about who's the saddest and who's the most pessimistic and the like.

I think I like the music too much to go into such details :P

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:49 pm

Akarui Kibuno wrote:My bad, Tiffu-san, cause I was saying "negative" as "sad" ^^;;

Meaning, Evanescence lyrics are sad (but good :P ) as well as the LP lyrics which are as sad... but one of the differences is the level of pessimism in them (I quoted one "I want to die" in one Evanescence song) depending on the song.
OKay, well sad and negative are two different things ^^;

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Hino_Rei552
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Hino_Rei552 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:16 pm

I love them cause Chester (the singer) has a unique voice, I think, he can scream in a song and still make it bearable and sometimes enjoyable!
I totally agree. Chester rules!!

...Kinda off topic on Evanescence though...BTW, I'm listening to "Whisper".
My LJ
My artwork

"It''s easy to write a jam that people wanna dance to. The hard ones to write are the deep, beautiful, pretty songs."
~Andre 3000

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:16 pm

Akarui Kibuno wrote:My bad, Tiffu-san, cause I was saying "negative" as "sad" ^^;;

But, hehe, I don't want to go further into this anyway because I'm sure that, if we go beyond this point, the discussion will go heated if people start ranting about who's the saddest and who's the most pessimistic and the like.

I think I like the music too much to go into such details :P
Yes, but you're taking lines out of context. That entire song isn't about wanting to die, it's whether or not suicide really condemns one to Hell. It's about questioning your faith and your very life. Whereas LP's songs aren't typically a personal question but more of an angry, self-loathing anthem. And I don't mean that that's bad. There are a few LP songs that I like (Crawling, Numb), but I just don't care for them as a whole because that's how most of their songs are to me. I don't think it's good or bad, it just is.
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:57 pm

ParaKiss_Groupie wrote:
Yes, but you're taking lines out of context. That entire song isn't about wanting to die, it's whether or not suicide really condemns one to Hell. It's about questioning your faith and your very life.
Ah, my bad again. Sure, I had taken a line out of context, but it also shows you how someone can be easily mistaken about a song if he/she takes only a sentence. And I know she didn't want to die in the song but it was to show that the word was mentioned.

Ami can't die, she's a goddess :P

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jonathan » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:26 pm

I truly enjoy Evanescence. I love "My Immortal". It really speaks to me.

I also loved "Bring me to Life", it comes on VH1 in Cardiovideo early in the morning. I try to watch it as much as I can.
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:18 pm

I'm not a very big fan of this genre, but I will admit I like the song "Bring Me To Life." I don't like anything too specific about it, I just like the sound and feel of the song.

Artemis
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Artemis » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:40 pm

Oh
My
God.

Amy Lee has one of the most fucking incredible singing voices I've ever heard! Evanescence is certainly one of my favorite bands, if not my all-time favorite! I've had their CD for a couple of months now, and it's gotten a lot of use. ^^
My favorite song of theirs is "Taking Over Me"...because it sounds like something I'm going through right now. ^^;; That's another reason I love their music-the lyrics really speak to me.
Even more than the spacious sky and the sea
My dreams have no limits
I have realized that because I am in love
~Tomizawa Michie, Eien no Melody

FoxFire
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by FoxFire » Mon May 03, 2004 2:08 am

I love Evanescence as well. I do find some of their songs to be sad, but that doesn't bother me. When I'm feeling depressed (which can be quite often unfortunately, see the Depression thread) sometimes I like to just listen to depressing music and bring it on as much as I can. When I was going through a long bout with depression in 10th grade I used to listen to Fiona Apple over and over because I found her album depressing. My favorite Evanescence songs are My Immortal and Tourniquet (though that ones actually a cover).

I've always intepretted My Immortal to be about someone who died, but that might be because of the circumstances that I was exposed to it. I bought Evanescence's CD last summer when I was in Michigan visiting my grandpa who was sick with cancer. When I first heard My Immortal I didn't remember ever hearing this song before but it sounded like it was about someone who died. Then after I got back home I watched Daredevil on DVD (which I had previously seen in theaters) and realized that My Immortal was playing during the funeral scene. Then a few weeks later my grandpa died, and I went back for his funeral, and listened the CD the night before the funeral.

I don't know for certain what My Immortal is supposed to be about, but I have decided now that when I die I want it to play at my funeral.
Fox

"You''ll regret being so damn abusive when the electric UFO gods transphase in from Dimension 10 to appoint me Manager of the Universe."
--The Drummer

"We share a culture, same vernacular/Love of physical humor and time spent alone
You with your penchant for spontaneous advents/For sticky unrests to be unearthed and then gone"
--Alanis Morissette

sailor_venus
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by sailor_venus » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:05 pm

I love Evanescence ....in this band there is a magic!I`m not crazy,I feel this!When i hear Bring me to life and other their songs i think i`m a death angel,who fly around!I love this music....it`s so emotion and powerful!I can`t say anything,because I haven`t words!

Chibisteven
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Chibisteven » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:57 pm

I've heard "My Immortal" I find the song to be a bit sad. Probally the only Evanesence I've heard so far.

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:56 pm

sailor_venus wrote:I love Evanescence ....in this band there is a magic!I`m not crazy,I feel this!When i hear Bring me to life and other their songs i think i`m a death angel,who fly around!I love this music....it`s so emotion and powerful!I can`t say anything,because I haven`t words!
Seriously, lay off the caffiene or sugar or crack that you're overdosing on. Seriously.

I like the band, but it's not very high on my playlist. Maybe Top 10 or something at best. Then again that probably ain't bad when speed metal is almost always tops on my list.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:11 pm

Aya Reiko
Seriously, lay off the caffiene or sugar or crack that you're overdosing on. Seriously.
Seriously, try and respond to someone's post without being rude for once, seriously.

Some people get very emotional when listening to certain types of music. That doesn't mean you have to insult them just because you don't feel the same way.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:22 pm

peachvampiress wrote:Aya Reiko
Seriously, try and respond to someone's post without being rude for once, seriously.

Some people get very emotional when listening to certain types of music. That doesn't mean you have to insult them just because you don't feel the same way.
ADMIN MODE:

BOTH of you lay off. Don't even start bickering. Stop it before it starts.

sailor_venus: Read the rules. You MUST input your birthday immediately to remain a member. Do so ASAP.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Chibisteven
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Chibisteven » Sat May 14, 2005 7:05 pm

I've just heard "Evanescence" song "Bring Me To Life" and I really like it.

Edit: Thanks to Tiff for telling me the real name of the song.
Last edited by Chibisteven on Sun May 15, 2005 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat May 14, 2005 9:02 pm

Chibisteven wrote:I've just heard "Evanescence" song "Wake Me Up Inside" and I really like it.
It's called "Bring me to Life"

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:25 pm

I love the band as well. They are so captivating and beautiful, and they don't' need cheesy ryhmes to make great music.

Uuuunfortunately....some songfics have ruined the deepness and beauty of the songs, and My Immortal seems to be the favorite among them. Don't get me wrong, some are great, but others are just urrrgh. Thanks to some horribly cliched songfics starring Evanescence songs, sometimes it's hard for me to listen to My Immortal without thinking of Harry Potter over-dramatically crying, "Oh Draco you diiiiiiiiied! But you have all of me." And one, apparently, thought it was a typical song about a girl breaking up with her boyfriend. :shock:

Anyway, love the music. It stands out among others because of it's poetic nature, and...well I don't know, too deep to speak in words. They're that great! :D
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:07 am

SeiUsa wrote: Thanks to some horribly cliched songfics starring Evanescence songs, sometimes it's hard for me to listen to My Immortal without thinking of Harry Potter over-dramatically crying, "Oh Draco you diiiiiiiiied! But you have all of me." And one, apparently, thought it was a typical song about a girl breaking up with her boyfriend. :shock:
..That is not only one of the worst pairings i've ever seen, but now I will never be able to listen to My Immortal without picturing that. *shudders*

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama