Favorite Romance Movies

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

KoiNoVash
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Favorite Romance Movies

Post by KoiNoVash » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:48 pm

Okay everyone, since it is around Valentine's Day and I am in the mood for looove, I wondered what are some of everyone's favorite romance movies.

Mine:
Pretty Woman: So sweet, I wish I were Julia Roberts *_*
The Princess Bride: I love this movie so much! I know it practically word for word.
Sleeping Beauty: One of my fave Disney movies ::glares threateningly at Disney:: NO SEQUELS TO THIS ONE OR I KILL YOU!
Beaty and the Beast: See above... minus the sequel bit since it is a little too late for that.
Amelie: Such an unique and cute movie. I can watch this one again and again...
http://usagicookies.livejournal.com (stalk me, you know you wanna)

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:13 pm

The Princess Bride: Like KoiNoVash, I know this movie word for word. Love it. Love the humor (and there's a lot of it), the romantic side of it, and the characters.

Ghost: This movie makes me cry every..single..time. Beautiful.

Never Been Kissed: So damn cute, and again, I cry during this one as well. I love Drew Barrymore.

A Patch of Blue: This is a really, really old movie with Sidney Poiteir (spelling?) when he was younger...it's about a blind girl who lives with an abusive mother and grandfather, and she meets this black man, and she doesn't realize he's black, and they pretty much fall in love, but he realizes it would be best if they weren't together...it's so damn sweet, and very touching, and extremely innocent.

Gone With the Wind: Rhett's badass, Scarlett's a bitch, they love eachother and hate eachother..what more could a drama whore like me want?

Kissing Jessica Stein: Cute movie about a girl who meets another girl through a personal ad, and hilarity and sweetness ensue.

Chasing Amy: Hilarious, yet very emotional at the same time.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

writergirl
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by writergirl » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:50 am

hmm this is a toughy....

Lucky 7 was on ABC family tonight, I love it, I love Kimberly Williams

must agree with tiffu on this one, Ghost... jsut amazing movie.

Where the heart is: I absolutely love one of the last lines
Novalee: I just thought that you deserved something better
Forney: something better than you? Novalee there is nothing better than you.
And he kisses her... *cluchtes chest* ARGH! I love it! it's so romantic.

and ANY Julia Roberts movie. (you know what I mean)

(can't think of anymore... I'll have to come back and edit later.)

::edit::
OH dear god how coudl I forget Ever After??? I love that movie, and I own it... very stupid for me to forget it.
Last edited by writergirl on Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plug for my message board Im awful. ::Hangs head in shame::

Left here alone, and unsure of what I feel. Unclear, but I see, Just what I'm afraid of.
I can't find my way anymore. And I cannot heal the wounds I've created. I can't let let go of whats killing me
Falling from this edge, I am lost to all I know
I can't breathe anymore Somehow I'm locked inside this cage And I've tried, but I cant Fight to stay alive
Falling from this edge, I am lost to all I know Time is only Fantasy And lies, the only reverie.
I've tried But I can't fight anymore.
I've Fallen from this edge, I am lost to all I know Time is only Fantasy And lies, the only reverie.
~ Megan McCauley's "Reverie"

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:53 am

I love romantic films. Let's see what I have on my list.

Never Been Kissed: I agree with Tiff on this one. Very good Drew film. Seen it half a dozen times or better.

Ever After: Gotta love this film. Cinderella story that is unequalled. And the prince really loves her for who she is this time.

Confessions of an Ugly Step Sister: Don't know if anyone has seen it, but it is my fave. I can relate to how Iris feels so much. (I'm not ugly, but I do have a sister that is a handful to help with)

You've Got Mail: Took me a few years before I actually watched this, but it is quite good and a cute love story.

Beautician and the Beast: Funny film. Kind of Beauty and the Beast meets Sound of Music. If you like Fran Dresher, this film is a must see. The ending is so touching. I suggest keeping a tissue handy then.

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:28 am

The Princess Bride: What can I say? I fell in love with this movie when I first watched it on TV at 4:00 in the morning. It's so cute… I want this movie on video so bad! Must have it! *hunts*

Beauty and the Beast: I love the story. I cried at the end when I thought the Beast was going to die. ;_;
I cried again when I watched the sequel, but for completely different reasons.

And uhh… well, I don't really watch romantic movies much. So, uhh, yeah. *cough* >_>
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

DistantMemory
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DistantMemory » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:00 pm

Beauty and the Beast: First romance movie I ever saw in my life! ^^ I just get all nostalgic every time it's brought up~

Sleeping Beauty: It seems the only romance movies I go ga-ga over are Disney movies, but whatever. I especially love the medieval times setting (well, BatB had the same setting, but I enjoyed it more in this movie).

ParaKiss_Groupie
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by ParaKiss_Groupie » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:54 pm

Ever After: My all-time favourite Drew Barrymore role. This was an excellent movie, and was so sweet and wonderful.

Save the Last Dance: It's funny, it's meaningful, it's sweet, and she does ballet. Plus, I love Julia Stiles.

Walk To Remember: Book is crap. Movie is extraordinary. I absolutely adore it!
"I loved you. I was a pentapod monster, but I love you. I was despicable and brutal and turpid, mais je t'aimais, je t'aimais. And there were times when I knew how you felt, and it was hell to know it. My Lolita girl, brave Dolly Schuller."
--Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:20 am

Princess Bride: Perfection on film. Heck, the only version of the book ever in existence (William Goldman created the entire thing--a Florin is a Dutch coin) was even better. I recently found a funny PB-Tenchi crossover fic with Ayeka as Buttercup, Ryoko as Westley Sasami as Fezzik, Tenchi as Inigo and Kagato as Humperdinck. Fortunately, they kept most of the script

Sleepless in Seattle: One of my absolute favourite movies of the last two decades.

Sleeping Beauty: Eisner, if you even think about giving this a sequel, I shall personally hunt you for sport.

Strictly Ballroom: The first Red Curtain movie ties with Moulin Rouge. Intriguingly, while Moulin Rouge was concerned with looking like a cinematic music video, this film is far more concerned with the relationship between two young dancers who defy just about everyone (Scott goes against his parents, Ballroom dancing teacher and the President for Aussie Ballroom Dancing, while Fran goes against her parents' wishes)

The Sound of Music: Although I prefer the play (Question: How could the captain have heard the kids singing in a house that big? Besides, in that part of the play, he's already in Vienna), this is simply one amazing movie. Unfortunately, Baroness Schraeder's two songs were excised and Something Good is one of the lesser songs (written to replace An Ordinary Couple). And I could do without I Have Confidence. But the other songs are good and little is lost in translation.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:23 pm

I forgot all about Strictly Ballroom. I saw that movie at a friend's house one night. loved that film. Still remember something about the Bogo Pogo.

I have to agree about the disney films. Beauty and the Beast was always my favorite. It was a beautiful story. I always liked him in beast form. I don't know, is it just me or is he not as handsome as a human?

Anthy
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Anthy » Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:18 pm

How To Deal: I loved the pot-smoking grandmother and the realistic approach to teeny love. Okay, so it wasn't realistic in the least, but it wasn't formulaic. x_X

Amelie: This movie is SO. CUTE. AHHH.
Princess AIcon by livejournal user equivalency

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:07 pm

I'm one of those rare girls who is not very much into romance movies, but I do like Ever After and The Little Mermaid.

::off-topic::
By the way, would any of ya'll consider Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon to be a chick-flick? I got my boyfriend to watch it (for the fight scenes) and he said it was more like a violent chick-flick.
::/off-topic::

Jed-kun
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jed-kun » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:46 am

Ummm...

Moulan Rouge [sp?]
Ever After
and most of all

MILLINEUM ACTRESS- Techniquelly it's probably not a romance movie, but it was sooo good and did involve romance, especially at the end!
Nothing sucks like a Jed-kun - The "sloganize" web site.

(After Scott shoots Logan through a window)
Beast: What's this all about?
Emma: What do you think? Superpowers, a scintillating wit and the best body money can buy... and I still rate below a corpse. ::storms off in a huff::
- from Astonishing X-men #1

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:02 am

EEE How could I forget Moulin Rouge?! That movie made me bawl....such a sweet story.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~