Why, oh why, all the sequels!?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:51 pm

MarioKnight wrote:
ParaKiss_Groupie wrote:
Tyra wrote:16th: Kill Bill: Vol. 2
Is Kill Bill Volume 2 really a sequal? I mean, they were originally one movie, it was just split into two parts. I don't really regard that as a sequal.
It's only two? I thought it was 5. .
Only in my wildest dreams. (Loved KB 1--Best movie I've seen in 10 years.)
"Passion of the Christ 2: He's Baaaack"
Actually, some comedians have been tossing around titles for a Passion sequel. "Dawn of the Dead." is popular, but the clear winner is "Die Hard with a Vengeance."

And I'm sure that somewhere Out There in Hollywood, there's an exec seriously considering a script he's got for "Titanic 2."

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:44 pm

Sailorasteroid wrote:
Actually, some comedians have been tossing around titles for a Passion sequel. "Dawn of the Dead." is popular, but the clear winner is "Die Hard with a Vengeance."
Actually, a comedy show down here said the clear favourite was Passion of the Christ 2: He's Back, and this time, He's brought His Dad.

And I'm sure that somewhere Out There in Hollywood, there's an exec seriously considering a script he's got for "Titanic 2."
Titanic 2: Going Down With Leo.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:19 pm

A few sequels are good, if not better than the original.

T2, better than Terminator.
Toy Story 2, better than Toy Story
few others are better than the first.

Now... all sequels released ONLY for video/DVD are plain horrid. Lion King 1 1/2 is just plain awful. please... not funny, lame, and the end scene with Timon was not funny, just STUPID.

Spy Kids: just sucks. never was real good, it's just kids thought it was neat. 3D... do I need to say ANYTHING?

Matrix Reloaded: I had VERY high expectations for this film... and it failed ALL of them. Not only did they remove all traces of the plot, but they threw in a random 20 minute sex scene that had no purpose. the fights were cool, but that was all they concentrated on... and that's what tossed it into the dumpster. the Original matrix blows this sequel away in awsomeness.

T3: can anyone see a similarity to Matrix Reloaded? I can! No plot, all hardcore action, and previous tricks from the second movie. they could have done a MUCH better job.

Shrek 2: This IMO looks BAD. "Oh look, let's make Fiona visit her FAMILY in it!" -_- if she has been trapped inside a fricking tower her life, and turned into an ogre, would you WANT to go to your parent's? HELL NO!

Ends rant on sequels.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:22 pm

yoshmaster5 wrote:Matrix Reloaded: I had VERY high expectations for this film... and it failed ALL of them. Not only did they remove all traces of the plot, but they threw in a random 20 minute sex scene that had no purpose. the fights were cool, but that was all they concentrated on... and that's what tossed it into the dumpster. the Original matrix blows this sequel away in awsomeness.

Shrek 2: This IMO looks BAD. "Oh look, let's make Fiona visit her FAMILY in it!" -_- if she has been trapped inside a fricking tower her life, and turned into an ogre, would you WANT to go to your parent's? HELL NO!

Reloaded did suck somewhat, especially the ridiculous sex/rave scene. That almost made me walk out. Thank goodness I thought that Matrix Revolutions was better.

As for Shrek 2, i disagree. I can't wait to see that.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Anna Roz
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Anna Roz » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:54 pm

Bad news people, if what I've heard is true (I'll try and get an article on it ASAP, unless someone beats me to it), is that there will be a Toy Story 3..Yes, THREE. If this turns out to be true, I can honestly say Disney is scratching the bottom of the barrel here.. What has our world come to these days..

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:54 am

Sailorasteroid wrote:

There already is a sequel to the Passion of the Christ...it's called the Book of Acts. ^^
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Tyra
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Tyra » Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:44 am

Spider-Man 2 now moved to June 30th, a week earlier than originally scheduled!!!

Tyra
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Tyra » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:56 am

Will they ever stop changing the title?

It was:

House of 2000 Corpses
House of 1000 Corpses 2
The Devil's Rejects: House of 1000 Corpses 2

Now the title is only "The Devil's Rejects".

Oh & still no exact release date, it's still October TBA.

whitewolf05
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by whitewolf05 » Wed May 12, 2004 9:16 am

Sequals are not all bad but sometimes they can be a pain in the but excuse the example here but look at sailor moon, heck I was still trying to watch the entire first season when they stopped showing it for a while next thing I know the scouts are using attacks I have never seen before. Now they are up to what the 5,6 season I have no idea.
"Welcome Oblivion" Ansume Kingdom Hearts

Tyra
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Tyra » Sun May 16, 2004 3:09 am

Yeah but lots of sequels are crap like Speed 2, I always take this example but the sequel is terrible.

Anyway, Resident Evil: Apocalypse now moved to September 10th, 3 weeks earlier than originally scheduled!

==> go to post #1 of page 2 for the complete list of sequel this year

Artemis
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Artemis » Sat May 22, 2004 10:24 am

Lady of the Light wrote:
Tiff wrote:
Lady of the Light wrote:Hmm...Shrek 2 looks good. But I have a big deal about the Princess Diaries 2. I mean, they screwed up the first one MAJORLY. And I think I've read somewhere that the second movie is going to be that Mia goes to Genovia and Europe, and then falls in love...It goes against the book plotline completely. I mean, since the first movie screwed up so badly, what can they do? Mia doesn't even go to Genovia until the fourth book...*sigh* I think I'll pass up on this one.
...there are books?
Yeup. About four now...Best sellers, I believe. All are very good, and I find the way that they portray life in New York hilarious. Of course, the movie doesn't even take place in New York...I recommend you read them, if you have the chance.
There's five now, and yes, they're excellent.
Anyway, back on topic...normally, I think that sequels are a bad idea for most movies. Especially Disney movies-the first movie normally wrapped up the story pretty damn well, and yet they make stupid, rushed together sequels so that little 5 year olds can beg their parents into buying them so that they can make a lot of money on a stupid movie.
Shrek 2 looks good, though...and I heard from my neighbor that it was hilarious. Toy Story 2 ROCKED. The second Spy Kids was okay, but the third one was TERRIBLE.
Lady of the Light wrote:More Captain Jack Sparrow for everyone!
OH NO YOU DON'T! *crosses arms and sticks out tounge* He's MINE.
Even more than the spacious sky and the sea
My dreams have no limits
I have realized that because I am in love
~Tomizawa Michie, Eien no Melody

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat May 22, 2004 10:31 pm

Well, Shrek 2 WAS pretty damn good. It was hilarious, and quite cute. There were a few negative suprises, such as:

[spoiler] They played out Puss in Boots to be this HUGE, important thing in the trailers...but he only tries to assassinate Shrek ONCE, and for like...2 seconds. Then, they become friends. I would have liked them to drag out the enemies part a bit more...But nonetheless, Puss cracked me up. [/spoiler]

I recommend it to anyone who liked the first movie.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Sat May 22, 2004 10:43 pm

Tiff wrote:Well, Shrek 2 WAS pretty damn good. It was hilarious, and quite cute. There were a few negative suprises, such as:

[spoiler] They played out Puss in Boots to be this HUGE, important thing in the trailers...but he only tries to assassinate Shrek ONCE, and for like...2 seconds. Then, they become friends. I would have liked them to drag out the enemies part a bit more...But nonetheless, Puss cracked me up. [/spoiler]

I recommend it to anyone who liked the first movie.
[spoiler]That reminds me of the movie called Snow Dogs I think. I never actualyl seen the movie, but other people have told me that in the preview, they made it look like it was all about talking dogs which was why I didn't want to see it in the first place. It had turned out the the whole thing about talking dogs was maybe like 5% of the movie. I hate it when they do that.[/spoiler]

Neo Dead Moon
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Neo Dead Moon » Sun May 23, 2004 4:20 am

[spoiler]Kangaroo Jack was also the same way. The commercial hyped him up as this talking knagaroo with an attitude, but the only times he actually talked were during a mirage scene and the ending sequence.

And in Star Fox Adventures : Dinosaur Planet, they show Fox's love interest, Crystal, all over the covers and in lots of images in Nintendo Power, but she's barely in the game at all after the opening sequence.

Perhaps this can be continued as a new topic ("Bigger than Advertised")?[/spoiler]
"With this candle I will..set your mother on fire." - Victor, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

Akarui Kibuno
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Akarui Kibuno » Mon May 24, 2004 5:05 am

Gaah, Shreck 2 has been released in the US ? Gotta go see that in London, can't wait for the French dub version, LOL >.<

One sequel I'd like to see would be a Van Helsing 2. Just because Hugh Jackman kicks ass :P *drools*
My LJ :)
Items up for sale on Ebay

Damn. My "free webspace" provider deleted a few of my accounts. Which means my Sailor Moon site is LOST! T_T !

Rindesayu
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Rindesayu » Mon May 24, 2004 8:34 am

Not meaning to have a negative attitude towards others' opinions, but I don't get why everyone loved Toy Story 2 so much and thought it was so much better than its predecessor. Sure it was a bit longer and brought up slightly more mature and emotionally involving themes, but I just got more laughs and a better time out of the first Toy Story.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon May 24, 2004 11:44 am

I don't think I even bothered to compare either of the Toy Story movies. My opinion has mainly just been "Pixar=Brilliance".
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Mon May 24, 2004 2:46 pm

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:I don't think I even bothered to compare either of the Toy Story movies. My opinion has mainly just been "Pixar=Brilliance".
amen to that.

Now for another sequel I saw:

Matrix Revolutions: better than Reloaded... but still pretty bad. Action only, eye candy, NO PLOT, all special effects. And a ton of lame things. I may be alone here, but I thought

[spoiler]that Trinity's death was pretty bad. She is mortally wounded, and she starts philosiphising about life, and how she said teh wrong thing in Reloaded when she almost died. X_X[/spoiler]

also a lot of lines were lame. along with the Neo trapped in the, "Train Station" idea. and does anyone else make this comparison: Neo vs. Smith was like a DragonballZ battle, but... no energy beams. just boring.

MOD EDIT: You need to use spoiler tags for things such as this. Not everyone has seen the mvoie and knows some of these things.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

RoastedTwinkies
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by RoastedTwinkies » Mon May 24, 2004 7:28 pm

yoshmaster5 wrote:
Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:I don't think I even bothered to compare either of the Toy Story movies. My opinion has mainly just been "Pixar=Brilliance".
amen to that.

Now for another sequel I saw:

Matrix Revolutions: better than Reloaded... but still pretty bad. Action only, eye candy, NO PLOT, all special effects. And a ton of lame things. I may be alone here, but I thought

[spoiler]that Trinity's death was pretty bad. She is mortally wounded, and she starts philosiphising about life, and how she said teh wrong thing in Reloaded when she almost died. X_X[/spoiler]

also a lot of lines were lame. along with the Neo trapped in the, "Train Station" idea. and does anyone else make this comparison: Neo vs. Smith was like a DragonballZ battle, but... no energy beams. just boring.

MOD EDIT: You need to use spoiler tags for things such as this. Not everyone has seen the mvoie and knows some of these things.
It's funny. I actually enjoyed Reloaded more than Revolutions. Though I do think they were both pretty bad and the original is totally the best one out of the three.

Sailorasteroid
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Sailorasteroid » Mon May 24, 2004 7:57 pm

RoastedTwinkies wrote:It's funny. I actually enjoyed Reloaded more than Revolutions. Though I do think they were both pretty bad and the original is totally the best one out of the three.
I'll go further than that: I'll say the whole series lost its luster halfway through the first movie. The premise of the whole world being a VR simulation was a good one, but they did it an injustice by having the world be a dystopia. What's the point of trying to break out of the sim if the real world is so bad? But, OK, I bought the premise and suspended disbelief. Then they kept talking about "the one," which it seemed to me was going to be the person who could fully manipulate the simulation from inside it. But they dropped the sci-fi for a bunch of vague religion stuff.

Here's what the sequal(s) should have been: establish that there's a stalemate--the machines can't attack the humans in the real world, because they can't find them; the humans can't attack the machines in the Matrix because the machines control the programming. Then the One comes along and threatens to ruin the stalemate and give victory to the humans. The machines try some desparate gambit to save their existence, it doesn't work, and you go to whatever finish you want. Simple, no complex plot twists, and you can throw all the action sequences and fights you want in there.

The problem was that the series tried to be everything to all people. Action for some fans, FX for others, SF for others, vague philosophy for others. Which means for 75% of the time, it's not giving you what you want. Not a good way to run a movie.
Things I think Are Funny Early in the Morning: If Batman were a Smurf: "Quick, Robin! We must smurf down to the Batcave and smurf the Batplane! Then we must smurf the batsmurf so we can smurf where the Joker is smurfing!"

The Croonerism Spate (explanations upon request)
Be careful with this one, there is a bit of a pun involved. Dr. Spooner described his visit to a castle: "In the center of the fortress was the Palace Court. The gated entrance to this area was the court palace."

Users whose sigs my quotes have made (now in two columns)
Tempest___________________Peachvampiress (I think)
Sylphiel (twice!)____________Neon Heart
RoastedTwinkies (long ago)___Alexclow345
Seiusa____________________Nehelenia`s Crazy Fangirl

I <3 all you guys!