If you child created a large cell bill what would you do?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

This Side of Paradise
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

If you child created a large cell bill what would you do?

Post by This Side of Paradise » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:08 pm

I know cheesy thread title.

Recently on Inside Edition (which I watch religously) there was a young girl who texted so much that her father recieved this large phone bill. Again another girl who some how "beat" the previous girls "record." Now this got me thinking, but so please tell me if I over reacted. If this my child I would take away their cell phone for a month, and if they did it again, another month. And if they continued to do this, then it's gone for a year. I would only do this if it wasn't unlimited texting. In the first case they had unlimited texting so they didn't have to pay a cent.

So my question is, if the bill was very large for calling day and night, or just texting, and it wasn't unlimited calling/texting, and you were the one paying what would you do? I'm interested in hearing- :P reading you thoughts.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own. Adam Savage.

Adam: I think this is the strangest position I''ve ever been in on this show.
Kari: [quietly] Notice how he qualifies it with "on this show".

MythBusters.

wink568
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by wink568 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:16 pm

I accidentally went over my minutes a couple months ago. I offered to pay the difference. It's hard for me right now, because I just moved out, and am still on the contract. I'm sure I'll be off it once the two years are up. My parents weren't mad, considering it was the first time in five years it happened, and it was only a little over. I just assured them I'd pay the difference, and be more careful.

My sister, on the other hand, consistently ran up the bill with texting. She was warned time and time again, and wouldn't listen. Finally, my parents just called Verizon, and disabled her texting.

I think I'd look at it on a case by case basis. If it happens once or twice, I'd probably tell my kids to watch it, and maybe show them the bill to emphasize how much they're costing. If it became a consistent problem, I'd either take the phone away, or come up with another solution such as disabling minutes or only allowing them to use their phone when they will be away from home and I'd need to get a hold of them. Chances are if they're out an about the free nights and weekends would be in effect anyway.