Animal Attacks

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Animal Attacks

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:54 am

Two nights ago two boys from a neighborhood near where I live were attacked by a male deer and hurt pretty badly. They werent killed or anything, but they had to get a lot of stitches and stuff. Aparently they were "just playing with it." I swear people can be so dumb sometimes, just because Disney made a movie about a cute deer doesnt mean you should try to play with wild ones, they can be just as dangerous as any animal. It's true they are more likely to run from you, but they have those antlers for a reason you know.

It's just like that show I saw about Dolphin attacks. There are animals that the media likes to make look like cute snuggly things, and as a result people get hurt sometimes. I wish people would realize that any wild animal no matter it's reputation can be extremely dangerous if not handled properly.

What are you all's thoughts on this matter?
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:36 am

People forget that wild animals are exactly that: wild. Even the most domesticated cats and dogs can turn on a human, for whatever unexplainable reason.

It sickens me when people do things like torment an animal at a zoo, and when the animal finds a way to get out and fight back, the animal is labeled as some vicious creature, and is killed. Why do people think that caged animals are any less susceptible to instinctive defensive urges than an animal in the wild? You hurt it/piss it off enough, and it'll fight back.

It also bothers me when people do things like keep tigers for pets. THESE ANIMALS AREN'T MEANT TO BE PETS.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:42 pm

Tiff wrote:People forget that wild animals are exactly that: wild. Even the most domesticated cats and dogs can turn on a human, for whatever unexplainable reason.

It sickens me when people do things like torment an animal at a zoo, and when the animal finds a way to get out and fight back, the animal is labeled as some vicious creature, and is killed. Why do people think that caged animals are any less susceptible to instinctive defensive urges than an animal in the wild? You hurt it/piss it off enough, and it'll fight back.

It also bothers me when people do things like keep tigers for pets. THESE ANIMALS AREN'T MEANT TO BE PETS.
I hate hearing about a mother bear being killed because it mauled a person who got too close to its cubs. I mean it's defending its children and the person was clearly being stupid yet we kill the bear and as a result the cubs because of it. It's sickining.

also I have enough scars from my cats being playful to know just how much damage they could inflict if they are enraged. Even pets that are totally loyal to you should be treated well, because loyalty only goes so far.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:19 pm

Tell me about it, I was actually scratched by a cat when I was two/three because I was provoking it. I don't understand why people would keep any exotic animal as a pet, remember Sigmund and Roy? Their tiger mauled one of them. Same thing when animals are trained (i.e. Shamu) Shamu has attacked trainers several times. I don't believe that the animal should be killed because they attacked a human (humans are technically animals too).
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:30 pm

AnimatedEvey12 wrote:. I don't believe that the animal should be killed because they attacked a human (humans are technically animals too).
They should be killed if there was an unprovoked attack..ie: the family dog turns on you for no apparent reason.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:52 pm

People are idiots. That is one of the three fundamental facts of life. Why anyone would intentionally bother any animal is beyond me. (perhaps they just have a serious inferiority complex, therefore only animals are good targets) I just don't understand.

off topic: would just like to point out it's Siegfried and Roy. Sigmund is the first name of Dr. Frued.

Anyway, I think the only reasons an animal should be put down are to put them out of misery or to prevent them spreading some disease. If an undeseased animal attacks a person, there was a reason.
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:10 pm

Aishiteru wrote:People are idiots. That is one of the three fundamental facts of life. Why anyone would intentionally bother any animal is beyond me. (perhaps they just have a serious inferiority complex, therefore only animals are good targets) I just don't understand.

off topic: would just like to point out it's Siegfried and Roy. Sigmund is the first name of Dr. Freud.

Anyway, I think the only reasons an animal should be put down are to put them out of misery or to prevent them spreading some disease. If an undeseased animal attacks a person, there was a reason.

Well I remember when my nephew was younger he had a puppy, except he would always kick it and hit it. One day, after they came back from vacation the puppy made holes all over their front yard. My nephew's dad gave the puppy away. I think it was a smart decision because who knows what the puppy might have done to my nephew, since my nephew was hitting the poor pup. Off topic: Thanks for the correction, I wasn't too sure. :oops:
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:20 pm

Aishiteru wrote: Anyway, I think the only reasons an animal should be put down are to put them out of misery or to prevent them spreading some disease. If an undeseased animal attacks a person, there was a reason.
Not necessarily. There are many cases of dog attacks where an unprovoked animal snapped and killed/attack for no reason. There are people who have family dogs, who have shown that animal nothing but kindness and love, and for some unknown reason, that animal turned on them. People can't predict an animal's behavior, no matter how well they know they animal.

Sorry, but if I had an animal and treated it like gold, and then one day it turned and attack me, my husband, or my son? The animal's going down. My family comes first.

You honestly believe that the only animals who attack are ones who are diseased or abused? Come on. That's just naive.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:42 pm

Aishiteru wrote:People are idiots. That is one of the three fundamental facts of life. Why anyone would intentionally bother any animal is beyond me. (perhaps they just have a serious inferiority complex, therefore only animals are good targets) I just don't understand.
Abuse of animals has actually been found to be a sign of both a serial killer and a sociopath. If the abuser goes untreated (doesn't get counseling, in other words) then the behavior can (and usually does) escalate. So yes, in essence, it is something to do with an inferiority complex there. You weren't totally off the mark. (That's only if they are doing for no apparent reason, of course. There are kids who grew up picking on animals who eventually became decent human beings.)

And there was a case not too long ago where one of my co-workers was attacked by her neighbor's dog, in her own yard. As in the dog got out of it's yard and charged at her. She had to go to the hospital and get stitches, and she was out of work for a couple of weeks because she could barely walk after the attack. The worst part? The dog's owner tried to defend it. Even when the Parish confiscated the dog and had it put down. I think the owner faced charges, too. So no, there isn't always a reason behind an attack.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?