Oldest known woman

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Oldest known woman

Post by Passions55 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:00 am

when I logged on today I saw an article about the oldest known woman in the world celebrating her 115th birthday. here is the link:

http://news.aol.com/health/story/_a/...18164209990001

isn't this somthing? Imagine living that long kind of makes you wonder how long you might live doesn't it?
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:41 pm

I think it is facinating but for me scary. Memory Loss runs rampant in my family im already feeling the effects of it at 30. And my maternal Grandmother at 70 can barely remember where the local bank is and forgot that James and I were living here the other day. I dunno if I want to be up there in the 100s unless they come up with better ways to prevent diseases like Alzheimers and the like. My paternal Grandmother who is in her 80s that suffers the same to many of our phone conversations are a repeat of the first five minutes of the call. Its sad but theres not much we can do about it, they are still feisty old biddies though so if I could curtail the memory loss and still be out hanging clothes and mowing the lawn at their age I guess I wouldnt mind.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:19 pm

I have no desire to live that long. I can't imagine the kind of decript body i'd have to live with. I think it'd be more miserable than enjoyable.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:37 pm

I would never want to live that long. I would hate to outlive all my siblings, cousins, my future husband and my friends (and very possibly my future children). I don't think I could handle that. (Is it wrong that this made me think of Who Wants To Live Forever? by Queen?)
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:55 pm

We talked about something like this in my ethics class the other day. In the near future, it could possibly be normal for people to live till their about 100 years old and still be active. Especially with advances in medication.

If you live to 100 I think you get something special from the government, like a certificate.

And we also talked about the possibility of death being cured and if it was ethical to live forever. Some people were worried about over population, but our teacher brought up the point that people would have less kids. And others argued that it would be selfish.

I do not think I would want to live to 115. I would probably outlive all my family and friend and that wouldn't be much fun. And I can't imagine that I would be very healthy if I lived to be that old considering my current lifestyle.

Though, I kind of wonder if that lady is the same one who took up fencing at 103 years old.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:51 pm

Tiff wrote:I have no desire to live that long. I can't imagine the kind of decript body i'd have to live with. I think it'd be more miserable than enjoyable.
I have the same feelings, living a long time may be attractive to some people but to be honest I wouldn't want to out live most of my family and friends. I hope I live a good and healthy life maybe into my seventies or eighties but 90's and 100's is pushing it for me.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:05 am

I only want to live as long as I can remain strong and active, however old that may be. This physical world means nothing to me if I don't have the power and presence of mind to experience life of my own volition.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:25 pm

I agree, I used to work in a nursing home when I was 17 and it is not a place I want to end up. I think a real question is with the life expectantcy increasing what are we going to do about care for the elderly? I think things really need to improve for them if more people are living longer and longer.