Sailor Moon - The Abridged Series

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

User avatar
SailorBallerinaMoon
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:12 pm
Location: United States

Post by SailorBallerinaMoon » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:13 pm

But sometimes, the filler episodes are the funniest, making the funniest SMA episodes.

User avatar
Jamesares
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:59 pm
Location: Somewhere Between Genius and Insanity

Post by Jamesares » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:21 pm

I'm not sure which is funnier the actual episodes of Sailor Moon abridged or the outtakes.
There Shall Come One After Me
And From Death’s Icy Grip
She Shall Bring Light Upon The World Once More
And Placed Upon A Crystal Throne
Her Light Shall Shine Forever More
-Rise of Crystal Tokyo 1st Prophecy


“Oh, yes, I can just see it now. I’ll tell the others how I tried to talk you out of this like a reasonable, responsible friend, and you threw a Deep Submerge at me.”
-Rei to Michiru, Long Way Down by RadiantBeam


"I rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints, the Sinners are much more fun."
-Bill Joel, Only The Good Die Young


Words of Advice:
1. Always remember you are normal, it everyone else that "weird".
2. Remember Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
3. Jack may be nimble and Jack may be quick, but he still burned his a** on the candlestick.

User avatar
sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:29 pm
Location: U.S.A.

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:00 pm

I think it depends on the episode. Sometimes the actual episode is hilarious, but sometimes the outtakes are that much better.

User avatar
AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:14 pm

sailorperkytoot123 wrote:I think it depends on the episode. Sometimes the actual episode is hilarious, but sometimes the outtakes are that much better.
That's true. The bloopers are funny but I do like the episodes too.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

User avatar
sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:29 pm
Location: U.S.A.

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:06 pm

I LOVE the episode 9 bloopers. Those had me dying of laughter. Like KrisRix doing the sound of Luna gasping for air when Serena lets her out of the camera case.

User avatar
AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:13 pm

I need a new episode...NOW! The good thing about SMA is waiting for these episodes is so worth the wait.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

User avatar
supersailorearth
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:39 pm
Location: The Realm of Nothing
Contact:

Post by supersailorearth » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:35 pm

You know that Sunday is the normal release day. I guess that their creative spurt is over. It's funny that the had one at the same time littlekuriboh did...

User avatar
sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:29 pm
Location: U.S.A.

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:29 pm

I hope they do another comment special at some point. The second comment special was amazing. I think Molly should be the permanent host of comment specials, because it's so funny to hear her read them.

"oi mlaughed till my pungs hurt!"

User avatar
AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:07 pm

sailorperkytoot123 wrote:I hope they do another comment special at some point. The second comment special was amazing. I think Molly should be the permanent host of comment specials, because it's so funny to hear her read them.

"oi mlaughed till my pungs hurt!"
Amen to that. But my guess is the next possible hosts might be Lita and Mina. After that they should host a poll voting for permanent comment special hosts.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

User avatar
sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:29 pm
Location: U.S.A.

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:24 pm

Oh yeah Mina would probably be funny. Maybe Mina and Molly would make a funny pair, although they have hardly any interaction in the show, so maybe it might be weird.

User avatar
AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:52 pm

*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

User avatar
sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:29 pm
Location: U.S.A.

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:35 pm

OMG That episode is one of my new favorites! Way better than last episode. And the ending was priceless.

Chase Man!
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: St. Clairsville, Ohio

Post by Chase Man! » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:30 pm

To make mine short and simple, the latest episode was better than usual. Although, I wonder if someone told Diana didn't show up in SuperS, NOT S!

Also, it might just be me, but I still have a "ooh, this show sucks, let's make fun with it" vive around this abridged series from the creators. I mean, blatantly telling the gags and repeating the annoyance of the characters over and over again? Do realize that that have intelligent fans watching the show, aka fans who want original material than repeating the same dumb jokes over and over again? I mean, my buddies over at GAC would hate this...

Then again, I could be wrong. And I know I ramble over nothing a lot...

EDIT: I mean, I look forward to every episode, but I don't have the excitement compared to other abridged series. But on a positive note, I did like Raye blowing up in the end. And besides, Raye is always the most quotable one, so that really helped this episode. And the freeze part with Chad had great timing. And hey, I'm probably the only guy here who knows where the "I'm Mr. Ice" song came from!
Last edited by Chase Man! on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:08 pm

Post by HighC » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:16 pm

Chase Man! wrote:To make mine short and simple, the latest episode was better than usual. Although, I wonder if someone told Diana didn't show up in SuperS, NOT S!
They possibly could have meant two seasons later as in after R (one season) after S (two seasons)

Chase Man! wrote:Also, it might just be me, but I still have a "ooh, this show sucks, let's make fun with it" vive around this abridged series from the creators.


Eric (voice of Lita and Darien) is apparently a fan of the show although Megami33 (voice of Serena and Luna) did refer to to the actual show as a collassal mess. But I think all the SMA crew have a special place for Sailor Moon in their heart for nostalgia value Megami or KrisRix did state one of the reasons they abridged Sailor Moon in the first place was because it's an anime pretty much everyone knows and a lot of people grew up with. And Sailor Moon isn't perfect it is heavily flawed the fact that everything happens in Japan, the weak animation, the obviousness of every surprise (Serena/Usagi is the Moon Princess I never would have guessed), plot conviences etc
Chase Man! wrote:I mean, blatantly telling the gags and repeating the annoyance of the characters over and over again?


If your talking about when they were explaining Raye's go to heaven comment I figured that part of the gag was blatantly explaining the joke not because they think their fans are stupid.
Chase Man! wrote:Do realize that that have intelligent fans watching the show, aka fans who want original material than repeating the same dumb jokes over and over again? I mean, my buddies over at GAC would hate this...
What dumb jokes do they keep repeating over and over? The only thing that gets repeated is things that revolves around the SMA characters personality. Ex: Serena is a bulimic dumba$$ Amy is quite and states the obvious a lot (the latter is making fun of what she actually does in the dub) Raye is the loud angry satanist, Lita is the tranny, Mina is the retarded bimbo etc and it's expected for those kind of jokes to show up routinely.

User avatar
AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:37 pm

Although lately they haven't been doing bulimic jokes that much. I wonder if Megami ever got complaints from people that are offended by the bulimic jokes. She's already mentioned that a lot of people have complained on her videos about her poking fun at religion and gay people.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Chase Man!
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: St. Clairsville, Ohio

Post by Chase Man! » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:20 pm

"Eric (voice of Lita and Darien) is apparently a fan of the show although Megami33 (voice of Serena and Luna) did refer to to the actual show as a collassal mess. But I think all the SMA crew have a special place for Sailor Moon in their heart for nostalgia value Megami or KrisRix did state one of the reasons they abridged Sailor Moon in the first place was because it's an anime pretty much everyone knows and a lot of people grew up with. And Sailor Moon isn't perfect it is heavily flawed the fact that everything happens in Japan, the weak animation, the obviousness of every surprise (Serena/Usagi is the Moon Princess I never would have guessed), plot conviences etc

You know, I think that's one of the major reasons why I can't get in to this series that much. You see, from what I got from other abridged series, the thing was that the guys who made the series (take, for instance, hbi2k) are big fans of the show, but they do admit that the show has a LOT of flaws. So, they point fun of it in a humorous matter. Sure, the show they're making fun of ain't perfect, but you can tell that these series were created with love for the sources.

For SMA, however, I feel that, expect Eric, I feel like they're doing it just because they can. I mean, I admit, Sailor Moon isn't perfect, but at the same time, I find it enjoyable. But come on, pointing out the show is a mess? They why don't you parody it in a original matter? If you don't love the show, they why are you researching something you find awful? Why not just MST3K it?

"If your talking about when they were explaining Raye's go to heaven comment I figured that part of the gag was blatantly explaining the joke not because they think their fans are stupid."

Well, yes, but that's not what I'm talking about. The randomness made it funny, so I can't complain on that.

"What dumb jokes do they keep repeating over and over? The only thing that gets repeated is things that revolves around the SMA characters personality. Ex: Serena is a bulimic dumba$$ Amy is quite and states the obvious a lot (the latter is making fun of what she actually does in the dub) Raye is the loud angry satanist, Lita is the tranny, Mina is the retarded bimbo etc and it's expected for those kind of jokes to show up routinely."

Jokes like "[insert something here] HAPPENDS." I'm sorry, but unless you do it right, I just find jokes like these lazy. Don't just point out the joke before the joke! Also, from someone who loves character development, I find the characters in SMA completely unlikable. I know that's the joke, but gez, can't they come up with new original jokes for the characters? Look at littlekuriboh's Tristan. First, he was parodying the voice, they he become a stupid, lovable character. now look at Mina. She was a dumbass at the beginning, and she's STILL a dumbass so far? I mean, come on, can't they at least come up with original jokes with that character rather than looking up the guidebook of valleygirl stereotypes?

Grr, there I go again...

EDIT: Oops, forget to mention that ongoing speech thing. I mean, I get the joke (it goes one and on), but because of the deadpan delivery and the fact it goes too long, 10 seconds in, I'm going "GET ON WITH IT!" Once again, unless done right, repeating or point out the obvious kind of jokes just doesn't work in context.
Last edited by Chase Man! on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:08 pm

Post by HighC » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:21 pm

AnimatedEvey12 wrote:Although lately they haven't been doing bulimic jokes that much. I wonder if Megami ever got complaints from people that are offended by the bulimic jokes. She's already mentioned that a lot of people have complained on her videos about her poking fun at religion and gay people.
Probably. People will complain about anything. Even with the simple answer is if it offends you don't watch it. Although they did make some bulimic jokes two episodes ago. Lita comments "B*tch went straight from bulimia to anorexia" and the Sailor Says of the same episode Serena talks about her throwing up "When I look good I feel good and the only way I look good is by throwing up!" I did notice they kind of changed Amy's personality at first the joke was that she was too quite and nobody could understand what she was saying but now they lean more toward her stating the obvious a lot.

Chase Man wrote:You know, I think that's one of the major reasons why I can't get in to this series that much. You see, from what I got from other abridged series, the thing was that the guys who made the series (take, for instance, hbi2k) are big fans of the show, but they do admit that the show has a LOT of flaws. So, they point fun of it in a humorous matter. Sure, the show they're making fun of ain't perfect, but you can tell that these series were created with love for the sources.
See for me most abridged series suck. In fact the only three I really like are Yu-gi-oh abridged, Teamfour stars Dragon Ball Z abridge and SMA. I'm sure that there are some more really good abridge series out there but it's only funny if I'm really familar with the series being made fun of and if I like the actual show even to a certain extent (I used to be a big fan of Yu-gi-oh so that's part of the reason I can find the abridged version funny) For example there was a Naruto abridge series that was kind of funny but because I hate the actual show with a passion I won't even bother with the abridged parody.
Chase Man wrote:For SMA, however, I feel that, expect Eric, I feel like they're doing it just because they can.
Well most people who do, abridge series do it because they can. From what the story goes if I remember right they all wanted to do an abridge series together and Eric suggest Sailor Moon and since Sailor Moon is an anime everybody knows about and there wasn't really any Sailor Moon abridged series out yet (there was like one but it was pretty ummm mediocre) Sailor Moon was decided on.

Chase Man wrote:I mean, I admit, Sailor Moon isn't perfect, but at the same time, I find it enjoyable. But come on, pointing out the show is a mess? They why don't you parody it in a original matter? If you don't love the show, they why are you researching
something you find awful? Why not just MST3K it?
They do love the show in way. They just find it heavily flawed. (Well Megami33, KrisRix, and Judgement do) They don't completely and utterly despise the show.




Chase Man wrote:Also, from someone who loves character development, I find the characters in SMA completely unlikable. I know that's the joke, but gez, can't they come up with new original jokes for the characters? Look at littlekuriboh's Tristan. First, he was parodying the voice, they he become a stupid, lovable character. now look at Serena. She was a dumbass at the beginning, and she's STILL a dumbass so far? I mean, come on, can't they make the princess thing a part of the character now?
It's an umm parody it's not like there's suppose to be taken seriously with character development. And to be blunt the character development in the anime was pretty weak. Usagi doesn't mature much after about R, it's not like in the manga where they actually mature but that's a whole different topic. And you go to remember Serena in the actual dub is a dumbass. Their making fun of that.

User avatar
sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:29 pm
Location: U.S.A.

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:06 am

HighC makes some very good points, most importantly the fact that they are making fun of the dub. You have to keep that in mind when it comes to things like character development, plot, etc.

Also, I would like to add that the SMA team did say that SMA is for those who love Sailor Moon as well as those that don't like it. It's not like they just bash it in every way possible every single moment. They add plenty of their own material.

@Chase Man - Mina has been there for like 6 episodes. Definitely NOT since the beginning. Also, their intention is to make her the valley girl stereotype, hence the reason they use those jokes for her. I personally think it would be very strange to randomly change the character's personalities from time to time.

User avatar
Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:31 pm

Post by Aishiteru » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:22 pm

I thought the new episode was pretty good, but it wasn't my favorite. The whole Mina-Chad thing kinda through me for a loop, but I did like Raye's "I hope you go to heaven." I also liked the she-dog...you mean a bitch? thing. It was pretty nifty.

Oh, and Snow Miser's (I'm mister white Christmas...) song is from The Year Without a Santa Claus. Trust me, Chase Man, you are by no means the only one who knows these things.
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

Chase Man!
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: St. Clairsville, Ohio

Post by Chase Man! » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:14 pm

RE: HighC

Yes, I know they're making fun if the characters, but again, the difference is that in other abridged series, they take the characters from the original show and take it from there. Like Saurka being useless, Goku being an idiot, Griffith being gay... But, in SMA, other than Ami and Usagi, they basically took the characters and made jokes that doesn't fit the character, like Mako and Mina. Rei worked because her screaming rants were funny.

But, in case you're still not getting my point, I'll just quote GWOtaku from Toon Zone. He'll explain this better...

"So I watched the last two SMA Abridged and to be honest, I'm a bit turned off even though parts are funny. The girls seem to be written as pretty stupid, particularly Serena and Rei and Minako (although with Serena, I admit that it's almost not satire!). It's particularly strange seeing Rei act and talk like a deranged psycho. Maybe I'm biased since she was my favorite one back in the day, but that's just how I feel about it. I think I prefer twisted versions of a character's personality for a parody, as opposed to making them completely something that they're not. As-is, sometimes (not always) the portrayal of the girls seems negative to the point of being almost mean-spirited. If that ever gets dialed back, I might pick it up again."

Now, again, I disagree with Rei, but everything else I agreed with.

Now, like he said (somewhat), these guys can be funny. Like, did you guys saw that Sonic thing they did for April fools and the SMA Christmas thing they did (along with the animation) for Christmas? Now THOSE were funny for various reasons! But whenever I see SMA, I just have a "lol sm sucks, here's proof!" feeling throughout this, unlike other series. I mean, just doing Sailor Moon because of memories alone? Yeah, I stand by on what hbi2k said that you have to be a fan of a show to abridged a series.

Also, no, the series don't offend me. In fact, I'll still a faithful viewer. It's just that they can do so much better than what they're doing, along with being a LITTLE bit kinder to the show.

BTW, I do recommend looking around for more Abridged series. I mean, don't ya want to see what Kasier, Lani, The guy who voices Nappa, and hbi2k have done before DBZ Abridged?

And as for the character development? First off, you forgot Usagi's maturity during Stars? And also, yes, it's weak, sure, but at least they're not one dimensional freaks who we don't give two craps about (coughcough).

RE: SPT123

Yes yes, I meant that. Sorry for the confusion.

Now, can we stop the arguing now? I feel like we're going in circles now...
Last edited by Chase Man! on Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Locked