Sailor Moon - The Abridged Series

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

User avatar
sailorperkytoot123
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:29 pm
Location: U.S.A.

Post by sailorperkytoot123 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:34 pm

No one is bickering. It's just a discussion. Opposing view points is what fuels a discussion. If we all felt the same way it would be entirely boring and pointless to discuss it. One person would say, "I like/hate this," and everyone else would just say "yeah" or "I agree." I don't mean this in a harsh way, I'm just stating this.

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:02 am

ADMIN MODE:

Chase Man!, if you cannot handle a discussion or disagreement of ideas, then don't bother to post. Nobody was getting too heated, nobody was throwing insults. Arguments don't necessarily have to equate fighting. Discussing opposing viewpoints is entirely valid and generally the point of a discussion forum.

Also, try to be careful of turning this into a chat room, guys.

Get back on topic, and again, if you can't handle disagreement, then don't bother replying.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:04 pm

SMA is going to do a vlog (video blog)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o61-_SWT7os

Which means more SMA behind the scenes specials. I want to donate but I don't have paypal.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:08 pm

Post by HighC » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:29 pm

Chase Man! wrote:RE: HighC

Yes, I know they're making fun if the characters, but again, the difference is that in other abridged series, they take the characters from the original show and take it from there. Like Saurka being useless, Goku being an idiot, Griffith being gay... But, in SMA, other than Ami and Usagi, they basically took the characters and made jokes that doesn't fit the character, like Mako and Mina. Rei worked because her screaming rants were funny.
I disagree. They basically take the character and exaggerate a trait of them. Like Lita/Mako being the most masculine Sailor (well she's also the most feminine) they take that one step further and turn her into a transvestite. Again in the actual show Mina is a dumb blonde and SMA exaggerates it. Raye/Rei the satantic thing did come out nowhere a bit but it's possible maybe their making fun of the fact that Rei fire reading, hanging out with crows, and having scrolls would seem satanic to the uniformed.


But, in case you're still not getting my point, I'll just quote GWOtaku from Toon Zone. He'll explain this better...
Chase Man! wrote:"So I watched the last two SMA Abridged and to be honest, I'm a bit turned off even though parts are funny. The girls seem to be written as pretty stupid, particularly Serena and Rei and Minako (although with Serena, I admit that it's almost not satire!). It's particularly strange seeing Rei act and talk like a deranged psycho. Maybe I'm biased since she was my favorite one back in the day, but that's just how I feel about it. I think I prefer twisted versions of a character's personality for a parody, as opposed to making them completely something that they're not. As-is, sometimes (not always) the portrayal of the girls seems negative to the point of being almost mean-spirited. If that ever gets dialed back, I might pick it up again."
Only Serena,Mina and Amy really seem to be written stupid in SMA and there's logic to that. Usually if the character is acting like an idiot it's making fun of an aspect of the show. Like a character saying something dumb in the dub. Or their actions.

Now, again, I disagree with Rei, but everything else I agreed with.

Chase Man! wrote:", I just have a "lol sm sucks, here's proof!" feeling throughout this, unlike other series. I mean, just doing Sailor Moon because of memories alone? Yeah, I stand by on what hbi2k said that you have to be a fan of a show to abridged a series.
Again I don't really agree. They don't hate the show but they don't love it (well Eric might) and they can see its flaws and show no mercy. Most abridge series disinterest me because theres no satire it's just character being dubbed over saying random (and at times incoherent in my experience because most people trying ot do abridge series do a terrible job at voice acting which is a big turn off to me, another reason I love SMA because it has some superb voice acting) With SMA I can laugh along and say I love the show (the actual show) but it's true or if it's specifically taking a jab at the dub I'll just shake my head and think stupid dubbers.
Chase Man! wrote: Also, no, the series don't offend me. In fact, I'll still a faithful viewer. It's just that they can do so much better than what they're doing, along with being a LITTLE bit kinder to the show.

I just don't see why they have to be nice to a show their making fun of.

Chase Man!
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: St. Clairsville, Ohio

Post by Chase Man! » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:56 pm

Well, I guess it just boils down to personal opinion, personal taste, "what's funny to Joe might be stupid to Jack", and the always famous "we can agree to disagree." Then again, I take the animation (anything) artform more seriously, so hey, maybe I'm just setting my hopes too high or something. And I'm a pretty easy guy to be amused.

Now, hopefully turning this thread around a little, I do hope they show no mercy at (dub) episode 40. It truthfully deserves it, as long as they focus on the dub's faults, not the original episode itself.

And does anyone know if they still do more episodes after the first season? I'm curious on how they're going to do Chibiusa (or not).

And I do wish them to best of luck on the vlog. Should be interesting after seeing their Halloween vlog...

User avatar
AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:11 pm

Chase Man! wrote:Well, I guess it just boils down to personal opinion, personal taste, "what's funny to Joe might be stupid to Jack", and the always famous "we can agree to disagree." Then again, I take the animation (anything) artform more seriously, so hey, maybe I'm just setting my hopes too high or something. And I'm a pretty easy guy to be amused.

Now, hopefully turning this thread around a little, I do hope they show no mercy at (dub) episode 40. It truthfully deserves it, as long as they focus on the dub's faults, not the original episode itself.

And does anyone know if they still do more episodes after the first season? I'm curious on how they're going to do Chibiusa (or not).

And I do wish them to best of luck on the vlog. Should be interesting after seeing their Halloween vlog...
In Megami's comment rant she foreshadows that they're working on more episodes and the movies.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:08 pm

Post by HighC » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:15 pm

Right now it's hard to say if they will get to the Rini/Chibi Usa episodes. They still have anothe six episodes of season 1 and there's like 13 episodes of the Doom Tree arc. However Megami33 did say in her comment rant they were doing the movies so unless they changed their minds we'll probably get to see what they'll do with Rini as well as the Outers.
As for episode 40, if I had to take a wild guess I'm willing to bet their main target of jokes will be at the dub's poor attempt to hide the fact that everyone died.

Locked