Games that mess with the paranormal or occult

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Games that mess with the paranormal or occult

Post by Passions55 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:51 pm

Have any of you ever played or heard of games that mess with the supernatural or the paranormal? Eighther it being a one of those freaky boards with letters on them with a pointer that you put your hand on while you ask the dead questions and it supposedly guides your hand over the board and spells out it's answers. Or played with the occult. Or tried playing games that supposedly allows you to communicate with the dead?

I recently heard of a game that a few people have said to have played at my college called 100 candles. Apparently it originates from japan and how it's played is you light 100 candles and place them in a perfect circle (it has to be a perfect circle) and you have to sit out side the circle while each person tells a horror/ghost story, and after each story is told you blow out a candle before going on to the next person, until all the candles are blown out. And apparently by doing this you are creating a vortex that pulls spirits into the circle of blown out candles and creates a nexus between the living world and the spirit world.

This isn't the only game of this nature that I've heard of that people at my college have played with, I've heard a several different games that are like this. I really wonder why, especially in high school and college aged people play these kinds of games. Even I was younger I used to do stuff like this with friends, like holding my breathy while passing a grave yard so ghosts wouldn't hear me breath and follow me home. Some of them are just super stitions or urban legends, but they can be very popular. One game that i heard of when I was in fifth grade was if you ran up and down some stairs at night chanting "bloody Mary" (who is supposed to be the ghost of historical figure "Queen Mary"that was dubbed Bloody Mary for her brutal way of killing protestants) ten times that she would come to you, but if you tripped on the last step she would take you to hell with her. Really messed up games. Has any one ever heard of these games or played in a game that messed with the paranormal? Has anyone ever had any bad experiences with them? Do you think these games actually do anything or do you think they are just stupid games?
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Re: Games that mess with the paranormal or occult

Post by Tiff » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:31 pm

Passions55 wrote:Have any of you ever played or heard of games that mess with the supernatural or the paranormal? Eighther it being a one of those freaky boards with letters on them with a pointer that you put your hand on while you ask the dead questions and it supposedly guides your hand over the board and spells out it's answers.
It's called a Ouija Board (pronounced wee-gee).

And I refuse to mess with stuff like that because I've heard too many stories from people about things happening while using them. It's not so much that I believe the game itself is an actual tool to contact the paranormal (it is, after all, a regularly-made board game found in the board game aisle of the toy store)...but I do believe in spirits and the paranormal, and believe that ANYTIME people use ANYTHING to try and fuck with that side of things is just...not cool. I think it's better left alone.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Re: Games that mess with the paranormal or occult

Post by jupiter23 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:43 pm

Tiff wrote:
Passions55 wrote:Have any of you ever played or heard of games that mess with the supernatural or the paranormal? Eighther it being a one of those freaky boards with letters on them with a pointer that you put your hand on while you ask the dead questions and it supposedly guides your hand over the board and spells out it's answers.
It's called a Ouija Board (pronounced wee-gee).

And I refuse to mess with stuff like that because I've heard too many stories from people about things happening while using them. It's not so much that I believe the game itself is an actual tool to contact the paranormal (it is, after all, a regularly-made board game found in the board game aisle of the toy store)...but I do believe in spirits and the paranormal, and believe that ANYTIME people use ANYTHING to try and fuck with that side of things is just...not cool. I think it's better left alone.
I'm in complete agreement with Tiff-san here. I also want to point out that most people who end up playing with stuff like this usually don't have any idea what they are doing, and can do some real harm to themselves and/or others. Unless you know what you're doing (and I mean really know, as in done extensive research for at least a couple of years, not just read a couple of books about it) it's not something to be played with. I believe you should just leave the dead to rest.

The urban legend about holding your breath while walking by a cemetery is, in my opinion, strictly an urban legend. I just don't go near a cemetery without the utmost respect for the dead sleeping there, and I don't believe they're going to follow me home.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:03 pm

I've used a Ouiji board a few times when I was younger. The experiance was odd, and cool, but as Tiff pointed out, you're messing with stuff that should be left alone, and I wouldn't do it again.

I've never done Bloody Mary either. I can't even look at mirrors in dark rooms...mirrors in general are kinda creepy to me, actually, but if the room is dark, I won't look in the mirror.

as I'm writing this I'm becoming more and more aware of the huge picture window behind me. It's dark out now and it's all reflection-y. I creeped myself out ;_;

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:12 pm

I never mess with this stuff. I figure evil spirits have enough excuses to attack people without me giving them more.

and just to comment
how it's played is you light 100 candles and place them in a perfect circle (it has to be a perfect circle)
making a perfect circle is impossible even with a ball bearing compass. I doubt anyone is doing it with a bunch of candles.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:52 pm

I'm a bit confused about the bloody Mary thing. Passions55 said the stair thing, but I always heard you had to stand in a completely dark bathroom and stare into the mirror as you chanted, and Butterscotch seems to be thinking of the same thing I am. Anyway, I was told that if you sat in the corner of a completely dark room and chanted "Candyman" over and over eventually the candyman would appear in the opposite corner and throw poisonous candy at you.

I don't believe in most of this stuff. I respect the dead, and don't believe they can come back in the form of ghosts or what have you. I think when you die, your soul either goes to heaven or hell. I do believe in demons and angels though. (I also believe in aliens, if that counts).
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:46 am

Aishiteru wrote:I'm a bit confused about the bloody Mary thing. Passions55 said the stair thing, but I always heard you had to stand in a completely dark bathroom and stare into the mirror as you chanted, and Butterscotch seems to be thinking of the same thing I am.
There are many variants of the Bloody Mary game. The one I'm most familiar with involves holding one candle in front of a mirror, chanting "Bloody Mary" thirteen times, and then blowing the candle out. She then supposedly reveals herself in the mirror, and in some versions, anyone who does see her will either have bad luck, or die. (Which still falls under the bad luck thing, I suppose. XD)

But, anyway, the vast majority of "paranormal" experiences people have when playing games like this are psychological. People can project things far more effectively than they realize. They either have fears and superstitions of their own, or they allow the fears and superstitions of others to get to them. The mind is powerful, yet easily influenced.

Of course, that's not to say that I don't believe in paranormal phenomenon. There is some legitimate weird shit out there, and I've seen some of it. I just think that most cases of Ouija Board freak outs, and Bloody Mary sightings stem from the imagination, not the other side.

Call me a skeptical believer.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:55 pm

By myself, I don't really do it. When with friends, we start going crazy with this stuff. I've tried the ouija boards and 1000 ghost telling story nights and stuff. I always love doing Bloody Mary. The verison I do is stand in a mirror with lights off, and chant her name 100 times, and turn a light on the moment you see her face to seal her back into the mirror. It was cool, cuz one time I saw a face :D. You just about do that with any ghost. Say its name over and over again in a mirror.
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:04 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote:It was cool, cuz one time I saw a face :D. You just about do that with any ghost. Say its name over and over again in a mirror.

Okkaay.

I believe in spirits/ghosts, and even I'm skeptical of that >_>

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:07 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote: The verison I do is stand in a mirror with lights off, and chant her name 100 times, and turn a light on the moment you see her face to seal her back into the mirror. It was cool, cuz one time I saw a face :D. You just about do that with any ghost. Say its name over and over again in a mirror.
Are you sure it wasn't your own face? ;)

But yeah, I never mess with that stuff. The last thing I need to do is piss off some dead spirit and have them tormenting me for God knows how long. XD And even if I didn't, I'd still be paranoid.

I'll leave that stuff to people who want some thrill.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:50 pm

Tiff wrote:
Queen Of Hearts wrote:It was cool, cuz one time I saw a face :D. You just about do that with any ghost. Say its name over and over again in a mirror.

Okkaay.

I believe in spirits/ghosts, and even I'm skeptical of that >_>
-_-; Its not a face as in that...it was sorta like an imprint, or an outline. It was dark, with just one candle, so it definately wasn't my own. Its not like a face as clear as day.
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:34 pm

NameGoesHere wrote:
But, anyway, the vast majority of "paranormal" experiences people have when playing games like this are psychological. People can project things far more effectively than they realize. They either have fears and superstitions of their own, or they allow the fears and superstitions of others to get to them. The mind is powerful, yet easily influenced.

Of course, that's not to say that I don't believe in paranormal phenomenon. There is some legitimate weird shit out there, and I've seen some of it. I just think that most cases of Ouija Board freak outs, and Bloody Mary sightings stem from the imagination, not the other side.

Call me a skeptical believer.
Yup, I think the same thing. See, that's why I don't mess with that stuff. I happen to have a very active imagination, so I would most likely expirience something just because subconsciously I expect to. I think there is some truth to paranormal stuff, so there's no way I'd want to even play with that, even if it was just my mind messing with me. I'd still be really freaked out and not able to sleep for, like, ever.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:57 am

Personally, I'm split on the whole topic of ghosts and such.

I live about an hour's drive from the Whaley House, said to be the most haunted home in America. I visited it a couple years ago, to see if I could spot anything like I'd heard others had. While I didn't physically see anything, the entire time I was there, I felt this nauseating pressure in my stomach, like what you feel when you're at the early stages of being sick. When I left, it lifted within 10-15 minutes.

I think there's still a lot of things that science can't logically explain, though there are theories floating around. F'rinstance, I always found it interesting that one theory regarding Poltergeists is they're psychokinetic/telekinetic emanations from adolescents, especially when they're faced with psychological traumas and extreme amounts of stress. Yet at the same time, the human mind is easily tricked by both external and internal mechanisms, so I approach the paranormal with skepticism and curiosity. I don't intentionally look for trouble, but approach things with a cautious open mind to see what happens.

Now, psychics, on the other hand...well, that's going on another (possibly off-topic) tangent, so I'll stop there.
What is life? What if all it is is God playing a game of The Sims? Or even his own version of Final Fantasy? ~Me

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:50 am

I think my beliefs keep me from dealing with paranormal games as well. I dont think its wise to triffle with death. And when I was younger I tried the Bloody Mary game once, nothing really happened but ive had other things happen around me that would seem paranormal so I just dont play around with the like. I think some people like to play them to disprove such things and I know there are a few ridiculous ones that seem far fetched. But ive known and worked (amaturely on my part) with people who photograph and record what they believe are spirits trying to contact the living. So I fully believe that its possible to do so. I just dont think you can do it with a game board. I use candles as a way to relax and for light ritual purposes and id never waste 100 of them doing something so silly either. I dunno I think personal preferance and religious beliefs play a big part in whether people choose to partake in such games.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

bushinoki
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by bushinoki » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:58 pm

I'm also of the "grain of salt" crowd, and I don't mess with the spirits either. Too much grey area science hasn't covered yet, and I don't need some pissed off spirit following me to Iraq or something.

As for the circle, you could make it, you'd just need a string, a weight heavy enough to hold in place while you moved it, and a piece of paper compassed out with tick marks every 3.6 degrees. Using the end of the string to determine your disance and the compass paper to determine the space between objects, it could be done, although you might have to adjust the diamater of your circe to make all 100 candles fit. Time consuming, but it could be done.

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:03 am

Okay, I confess. I tried Bloody Mary when I was in middle school. And I got majorly freaked out before I could complete the chant. Not because of any evil spirits, but because I was afraid of the dark and the bathroom was always creepy in the dark. But still, I didn't try it again.

I'm not big on the occult in some areas. A lot of this stems from my beliefs and being told to steer clear of all things of that nature. But as I've gotten older, a lot of it just disinterests me due to it's obsurdity. I personally have always believed that the dead have better things to do with their time than sit around waiting for you to chant their name so they can do bad things. But I do believe in ghosts in general.

I stayed far away from all Ouija boards because of a story my mom told me about my uncle. She said he played with one and was severly freaked out when he came home. To this day, we still don't know what that game told him. That was enough to turn me off from wanting to mess with it.

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:42 am

I've chosen not to mess with any occult/paranormal Ouija stuff. I already have a paranoia problem as it is, I don't need to make it any worse. Which is why I usually resent going to one of my friend's for Halloween.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

wink568
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by wink568 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:34 pm

I'll be honest, that stuff scares the crap out of me. If my friends would mess with it, I could find something else to do for a while.

I never really did bloody Mary, but we used to talk about doing it. We actually got to the point where we thought that all you had to do was say bloody Mary in front of a mirror three times in a sitting (even if just in conversation), whether in a bathroom or not because we were dumb, lol. So we'd keep track of how many times we brought it up, like if somebody was like "lets play bloody mary" or "I don't wanna play bloody Mary!" One time, somebody said it for the third time, and we realized there was a mirror in the room, so we all screamed. A couple minutes later, we saw a figure in it, and freaked out so bad. I turned out, it was my friend's older sister coming into the room to see what we were so freaked out about, and we saw her reflection.

My friends used to play with the Ouija board, but it always freaked me out. They used to try to do seyances(spelling?) too. I just didn't want to get involved, because I'd seen too many scary movies, I guess. Not that it's bad to stay away from that kinda thing.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:38 pm

wink568 wrote: They used to try to do seyances(spelling?) too. I just didn't want to get involved, because I'd seen too many scary movies, I guess. Not that it's bad to stay away from that kinda thing.
Seance.

And my friend and I did a seance once. It totally didn't work XD;

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:11 am

Butterscotch wrote:I've never done Bloody Mary either. I can't even look at mirrors in dark rooms...mirrors in general are kinda creepy to me, actually, but if the room is dark, I won't look in the mirror.

as I'm writing this I'm becoming more and more aware of the huge picture window behind me. It's dark out now and it's all reflection-y. I creeped myself out ;_;
Same here, looking into mirrors at night freaks me out so I try to avoid doing it. The bloody Mary rumour was going around my school too. I tried it out of curiosity (when your a kid you do stuff like that) and, surprise surprise, nothing happened.

I remember one rumour going around that if you used the middle cubicle in our school toilet you would die O_o. There were three cubicles, so if two were in use and the middle one was empty people would wait outside until the others were free.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!