Al Sharpton

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

denizenofevil
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Al Sharpton

Post by denizenofevil » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:14 pm

What do you think about him? Is he a help or a hindrance to what he claims he is fighting for? Personally, i think he is more of a racist than who he accuses. The whole Kelly Tilghman thing was overblown and he has proven that he is a bigot.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:34 pm

Whew just like religion and politics this is another fire keg thread. First off I dont always agree with Al Sharpton, or Jesse Jackson, but I do think that when it comes to dealing with certain racial issues they at least speak up about it. Some people still have the mentality that racism is always around and its always going to be around so lets ignore a slur or a bigoted comment because "hey its only a joke." Im sorry but the woman knew that she was on national television and even if Golf isnt one of the most diverse sports people of all walks watch it now and heck NBA stars tend to flock to the darn sport. So her "Lynch" comment was in very poor taste.

Now I hate having things blown out of propostion but there are some dumb asses (cough Imus cough) who deserved to be exposed for what they are. And while I agree Sharpton tends to jump on every issue, I fail to see where he comes across as a bigot? Rabble Rouser yes, but ive never heard the man once utter a racial slur, never heard him talk about revolution which growing up around some militant blacks Ive heard that and worst. So yeah I can understand why he may not be liked, but I fail to see how he can be classified as racists for jumping on issues like this. I guess I would be a racists to for getting upset when ignorant comments by people in the public media happens. And I can assure you that im not.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

denizenofevil
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by denizenofevil » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:01 pm

well, i say that he is a bigot because of the comment he made against Mitt Romney and his religion. the thing is, the Tilghman comment was made in bad taste but it wasn't meant to be racist. Tiger Woods even said that it didn't bother him. Lynching wasn't only used against African Americans. it was used against many other people. I really do think that when Sharpton and Jackson first started advocating, they really had good intentions but now it seems they're only there for attention because of their habit of making issues out of non-issues. I don't think he is racist for jumping on every issue. I think he is racist against white people because of the way he handles things.

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:30 pm

denizenofevil wrote:well, i say that he is a bigot because of the comment he made against Mitt Romney and his religion. the thing is, the Tilghman comment was made in bad taste but it wasn't meant to be racist. Tiger Woods even said that it didn't bother him. Lynching wasn't only used against African Americans. it was used against many other people. I really do think that when Sharpton and Jackson first started advocating, they really had good intentions but now it seems they're only there for attention because of their habit of making issues out of non-issues. I don't think he is racist for jumping on every issue. I think he is racist against white people because of the way he handles things.
But if you're any race other than white, you can't be racist! I thought you knew that. (Note my sarcasm)

Seriously, I am so fed up with how "white" people are put down by people of other races because we're so "OMG, racist!!!11" Never mind that those people embody the very vice they point out in us. Sharpton is one of the worst in this regard; look at some of the causes he's supported. He's stood behind both Tawana Brawley and the Duke "rape victim", only to be made to look the fool when the charges turned out to be false. It seems pretty common to be racist against the mean ol' white man, even if your cause is built on lies.

I was taking a Sociology class last fall when the Michael Richards brouhaha broke out, and we were discussing race relations when it broke. My instructor asked us to write our thoughts on it, and I wrote that, while I couldn't completely excuse his conduct, I was sick of blacks who play the race card anytime someone doesn't give them what they want. Not to mention that many (not all, of course) black people complain about their lot, but don't do anything to make their lives better.

Seriously, get up off your ass and make your life better with your own two hands. Don't sit around and whine and bitch while you wait for someone else to make things better for you.

(Apologies if it seems harsh. I get frustrated when people freeload without making even a modicum of effort to improve their lot in life.)

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:23 pm

Now while that is a somewhat valid argument Princess Latona lets not forget its not only Blacks who do this. Ive seen it both in the North when I lived in NY and now here in the South, where it doesnt matter what color they are. Having a poor persons mentality knows no racial bounds. And there are plenty of people down here and around the nation who suffer from the "i'll let the government care for myself or kids or I dont need to work" syndrome. And while yes there are plenty of Black people who do as you say, the whole not bettering their lot in life is not limited to that race belief me.

And I'll say it again Sharpton isnt always an person to agree with and true he jumps on every issue that seems to have racial overtones. But unless youve personally dealt with life threats because of your color, have to worry about things like being in a relationship with someone and having their family threaten to lynch you. You really dont understand why some people are passionate about slurs and terms that arent right. I had a former police officer when I was younger arrested for conspiring to use molitov cocktails on the house myself and my family was residing in because we were the only black family in the neighboorhood. Just to give you a heads up on how some peoples mentalities are.

Sure its not cool to throw the N word around or make comments with racial overtones for people who arent ignorant. But even people with supposed breeding in the privacy of their own races will throw it around till they are caught. And incidents of people using this Faux pa has grown, from the golf lady to Dog the bounty hunter. Its very easy to say get over it and that its no big deal as I said before but just as ive tried to open my eyes to the fact that some people do take the whole "omg whites are evil" as it is (pure ignorance). I think people in the same respect have to understand what it means to be Black in america.

It is not an easy road even if you do the right things sometimes. Many times people assume about you right off the back due to your skin tone. You dont know how many times people have looked at me and assumed one thing and were suprized. They hear my voice on the phone then see the person and are shocked and make ludicris comments about how suprisingly well I speak or worst. When I went to help friends of mine get into an apartment down here the landlady was extremely friendly over the phone. Till I got out of the car with them, then the place was not availible. Its a sad twisted mentality and its still going on.

And to add to that if your born in the wrong area or to the wrong family, its even harder to break the stigma of failure or the mentality that your never going to amount to anything. It takes alot of work to get out of a ghetto and trust me even then your lucky to end up working poor (my case as we speak). Yeah there are opportunities and many of us try to take them I just finished school but make no mistake in many states its still just as hard to get hired being a woman and minority as ever. Dont believe me walk a mile in my shoes. I got lucky Im well spoken enough and had a connection to do the job I do, but not many people are that fortunate.

We can go around in circles about racism. The funny thing is racism knows no bounds either, each race has its level of bigotry its up to an individual persons feelings on how strong it is or if its even enough to warrent being called racism. I know because of the way I was raised I had to get over alot of sterotypes. I know a few friends including my closests whose parents still wont let him date a black person. So trust me its out there and as long as it is people like Al Sharpton are not going away.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:24 pm

I do see all your points, SoV. I didn't mean to come across as being hard solely on Blacks. It really bothers me that any race behaves in that manner, not just whites or blacks. As far as Al Sharpton and others like him, however, I wonder if he does more harm than good when he appears on the scene; especially when he makes some of those causes out to be all about race instead of the issues that might really matter.

I think another annoyance of mine is the preference of minorities and "protected" groups in scholarships and education. A friend of mine and I were talking about that a few weeks ago. He mentioned that our college can have a Hispanic/Latino club on campus without anyone batting an eye, but if you want to have a club for white kids, it's "ZOMG, racist!!!11" and not allowed. He also was really upset with how few scholarships there are for non-minority (white) males. He's juas as intelligent as I am, with good prospects for schools, but since he's a white male, there are so few opportunities for scholarships for him. I'm marginally better, being female, but sometimes I see it as well.

I agree that racism won't go away anytime soon, not unless the ignorant stop breeding and teaching their bigotry. That's why we have to teach our kids (and those kids we interact with regularly) that it isn't okay to hate based on race. We also have to practice what we preach, since that's the only way those lessons will stick.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:11 pm

ADMIN MODE:

We're starting to stray a little from the topic at hand, and going more in depth into racism and such. I think the point of this topic is to discuss this particular person's approaches, and not so much a general discussion on racism.

Please get back on topic.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:38 am

Princess Latona wrote:
denizenofevil wrote:well, i say that he is a bigot because of the comment he made against Mitt Romney and his religion. the thing is, the Tilghman comment was made in bad taste but it wasn't meant to be racist. Tiger Woods even said that it didn't bother him. Lynching wasn't only used against African Americans. it was used against many other people. I really do think that when Sharpton and Jackson first started advocating, they really had good intentions but now it seems they're only there for attention because of their habit of making issues out of non-issues. I don't think he is racist for jumping on every issue. I think he is racist against white people because of the way he handles things.
But if you're any race other than white, you can't be racist! I thought you knew that. (Note my sarcasm)
Everyone's a rittle bit lacist. :D
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:26 pm

Al Sharpton... *sigh* To keep it short and simple, without sounding racist, myself, he just pisses me off. It's like he always has to be relevant, somehow. Him and Jesse Jackson both jump on people of other races if they've done something to offend black culture, which, half the time, what other people do to them isn't offensive anyway.

I just wish he'd learn how to back off. More people might take him seriously if he didn't cry racism at least three times a month.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL