What Cartoons Scared you as a kid?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

What Cartoons Scared you as a kid?

Post by Passions55 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:05 am

when I was little I used to love watching cartoons (heh, I still do) I watched everything from Care Bears, My Little Pony, Gummey Bears, Chip N Dale The Rescue Rangers, Ghostbusters, The Teenager Mutant Ninja Turtles (of course ), Duck Tales...you name it I probably watched it

Most of these cartoons where very child friendly that had great story telling and good moral messages. I enjoyed them. But I was generally very young when I watched these and I have to say there was at least once or twice where an intence situation would arise or a particularly threatening villan would come up in one of my favorite cartoons, and I would get a little scared. Not full on gasp-out-loud or scream my head off scared, but one of those silent currents of fear that come over you and the fine hairs on the back of your neck tickle and you get goos flesh when you might see or hear something disturbing, and you get that slight hot cold feel. These instance never really bothered me and most of the time added to the appeal of what I watching and made me respect it more for pulling me into it so much that it would give me that reaction. Althoug there where sometimes where when I knew something was coming I couldn't watch it with my eyes open.

for me these are some of the scarest moments/characters in cartoons that scared me as a child:

I the cartoon Duck Tales there was an episode where Uncle Scrooge goes back to Scotland to visit his parents home and take the boys with him along with WebbyGail. I do not recall the exact events but fr some reason there was these druid like acult memebers that where trying to run people off with a ghostly hound that glowed in the dark. The whole plot was a little freaky for me because at one point WebbyGail gets seperated from every one else and gets lost behind a trapped door all by herself. There is one scene in particual that really scared me was when you finnally see the Ghostly hound for the first time as it creeps out of a passage door in a semi dark and it looks ferousious with it fur sticking up menacingly and it glowing and walks quitely after WebbyGail stalking her. I haven't seen this show in years and yet I remember that scene vividly. And it freaked me out.

Another instance was from the Care Bears Movie. I was very itty bitty when I saw these movies and there times in this genuanly scared. In the first Care Bear Movie it took place in a circus /carnival with sone loser kid with no friends named...can't remember his name, but he gets a freaky looking book with the head of a bald lady in the middle that was some kind of demon (I remeber she changed colors ) who manipulated the poor kid into using magic to hurt people. And thouyght this book chick was freaky and one thing that scared me was this evil cloud demon that could shape shift and posses things. One seen that disturbed was when it turned into a shark and tryed to drown the care bears by spinning around their boat , then I rember it turning into a giant bird attacking from the sky at these two terrified kids. Gosh I'll never forget the way that bird circled around in the sky and the kept swooping down trying to attack these two kids, and the freaky noise it made when it circled them. Also I thought the whole ending scene where they are wresting with the demon book to close it and it kept trying to open it self was intense. I rember sitting very rigid when theI first saw that.

In the second Care Bears Movie I thought Dark Heart was a scarey villan. Everything about him I just thought was scarey. Especially this one scene where he is spying on a girl up in a tree disgiused as a red fox, and then when he drops down into the bushes and stratles the girl. And basically any time he would be transformed into some red colored animal. I thought he was so scarey. Also I rememeber a scene where two car bears where chasing a black version of him (is the best way to describe it) in a foggy cave.

I have more but these are the one that come to mind right now. How about any one else? What characters or moments in cartoons scared you as a kid?
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

magily11
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by magily11 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:26 am

There was an episode of Pingu, and I remember physically crapping my pants in fear.
He was asleep in his bed, and the beg legs started to grow.
And they started walking.
It was bloody terrifying.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:39 am

The care bear movies WERE pretty creepy. They were darker than I thought they could be.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:55 am

When I was a kid the Hobbit animated movie scared me to no end. I love that movie now but man it was scary. That and Watership down im telling ya having a story about warring rabbits isnt cool to a little girl. Tv show wise I cant really think of any cartoons I was scared of.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:05 pm

There was an episode of The Real Ghostbusters that creeped me out as a kid. This kid made friends with the monster of the day, some sort of creepy goblin-like creature. Gradually the boy was turning into the same sort of monster, and he didn't care because he thought the monster was his friend and he wanted to be like it. (Sorry for the bad description, it's been twenty years since I saw it =P)

And yeah, Watership Down scared me too.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:26 am

An episode of Rocko's Modern Life. It's the one where Heffer dies and goes to heck for gluttony. I'm also not too fond of the one where Rocko gets the parsley stuck in his teeth.

Other than that? What's Opera, Doc? (aka Kill the Wabbit) has gotten me at least once, I think.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:49 am

Any episode of Batman TAS that had the Scarecrow in it or where the Joker used his laughing gas used to scare the crap out of me as a kid. I also used to be scared by the Rocko's Modern Life Halloween special, or at least I think it was a Halloween special. It's been ages since I've seen it but I remember Rocko going into his neighbor's house or something and everything was like really weird and creepy but I don't remember what else happened, if I'm even remembering this episode right. This one Halloween special of The Simpsons where Bart wakes up and finds out the whole episode was just a dream but then everyone's skin starts to reverse inside out used to always give me nightmares and so did that one episode where they were showing how Bart got his first bed with that creepy clown bed.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:50 pm

Some episodes of the Thundercats used to scare me, when I was little.... No, actually, they all did, lol. I think it was mostly because of Mumm-Ra. >_>;;;;;;
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:55 am

I'm supriced no one has mentioned Maleficent and her demon lackeys from Disney's sleeping beauty! Maleficent was indeed a scarey villianous, but she didn't really scare me in her human form, it was when she turned into a huge hell spawned black dragon with yellow eyes and teeth that freaked me out the most. And that line she spoke when she was calling down her powers to transform was freaky "Now you do battle with me oh, prince. And all the powers of Hell!" man the actress who voiced Maleficent delived that line so poefully. You wouldn't here any mention of hell powers being mentioned in a disney movie today. Man ust that scene where she tranforms into a Dragon was awsomely scarey especially when the cloud clear sand you see what she becomes. Yikes.

And how about that scene in the movie where all those demons or trolls where dancing around a bonfire as Maleficent watched with with a evil look on her face.

Also I thought that the cat named Dragon from the Secret of Nyme was scarey, because of this movie I have developed a sort of wariness with cats. But what I thought was really scarey was the scne where the Brisbee the mouse (was that her name) went to go talk to the "Great Owl", man just that owls voice when he told her: "Step inside my house" from deep inside that black opening in that tree was chilling. But that scene where she is wondering around inside his web infested tree home, and there is a spider who slowly comes down and starts creeping up behind her, and they show a close up of the spiders face with it dripping fangs, and then the Great Owl crushes him with his foot and his guts spill out. Ughhh, I hate and this disturbed me! And I know he was supposed to be a good guy but Nickademus the wise old rat was creepy too, especially his death scene.

I don't want toi even get into All Dogs Go to Heaven I love this movie and I watched all the time but the whole hell scnes and demons was just disturbing. But I loved it any way.

In the movie the last Unicorn the talking skeleton that kept laughing and making fun of the wizard. Gosh he scared me, especially in the scene where he drinks the wine and the then the demented laughter he makes after he thanks the wizard guy for giving it to him. But the part that bothered me the most was after he discovers that the girl is a unicorn in disguise and his eyes glow red, and he starts shrieking "Unicorn!" Unicorn!" unicoooooorn"!
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:37 pm

Passions55 wrote:I'm supriced no one has mentioned Maleficent and her demon lackeys from Disney's sleeping beauty! Maleficent was indeed a scarey villianous, but she didn't really scare me in her human form, it was when she turned into a huge hell spawned black dragon with yellow eyes and teeth that freaked me out the most. And that line she spoke when she was calling down her powers to transform was freaky "Now you do battle with me oh, prince. And all the powers of Hell!" man the actress who voiced Maleficent delived that line so poefully. You wouldn't here any mention of hell powers being mentioned in a disney movie today. Man ust that scene where she tranforms into a Dragon was awsomely scarey especially when the cloud clear sand you see what she becomes. Yikes.
XD Maleficent didn't scare me because I loved her. She's AWESOME.

And how about that scene in the movie where all those demons or

Also I thought that the cat named Dragon from the Secret of Nyme was scarey, because of this movie I have developed a sort of wariness with cats. But what I thought was really scarey was the scne where the Brisbee the mouse (was that her name) went to go talk to the "Great Owl", man just that owls voice when he told her: "Step inside my house" from deep inside that black opening in that tree was chilling. But that scene where she is wondering around inside his web infested tree home, and there is a spider who slowly comes down and starts creeping up behind her, and they show a close up of the spiders face with it dripping fangs, and then the Great Owl crushes him with his foot and his guts spill out. Ughhh, I hate and this disturbed me! And I know he was supposed to be a good guy but Nickademus the wise old rat was creepy too, especially his death scene.
Now, the Secret of Nimh had scenes that scared me, especially any scene with Jenner. Jenner was one scary mofo. I adore(d) that movie, though.
I don't want toi even get into All Dogs Go to Heaven I love this movie and I watched all the time but the whole hell scnes and demons was just disturbing. But I loved it any way.
Agreed. A year ago I showed it to my pre-k kids, and was shocked to see how scary it could be. I had forgotten.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:12 pm

Your gonna laugh, but,Snow White! ^^;;. I was always terrified of that part where she is running into the forest!! Ohmygawd ;__; That gave me terrors as a child!
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:01 am

I was always afraid of the forest scene to. Then when I was 6ish, my mom's car broke down in a "forest" (Well there were a bunch of scary trees) at night. I was so freaked out. I cried. Also, When Ursela grows in The Little Mermaid. Her voice scared me the most. My mom always imitated it.
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:02 pm

The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Possibly the scariest disney movie. I think I saw it once when I was little and refused to watch it again. I was watching it a few weeks ago with my friends, and we were all like "O_O this is for KIDS?!" I mean, it has a scene were people are being tortured and stuff. Plus the gargoyals are creepy (but thats probably just me). Hell, I was a little scared watching it as a teenager.

Butterscotch
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Butterscotch » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:44 pm

I was just reading the favorite Halloween specials thread, and I remembered that the ghost pirates in the Garfield special scared me a lot.

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:26 am

Watership Down....that one still gets me to this day. I can't watch it without feeling creeped. Thank goodness I'm not alone.

Does anyone remember the 80's TMNT, episode with the meatballs on the pizza, but they weren't meatballs? I can't look at meatballs the same way since. In the back of my mind, I still wonder if they contain any aliens or such.

1st Care Bear Movie. The spell book demon creeped me as a kid. But Dark Heart in the 2nd movie never did. I liked him. Especially the scenes he had with the girl. He just never seemed totally evil to me. But the sorcerer in their Nutcracker movie and the Wonderland movie did. He looked like he'd take pleasure in stomping out bunny rabbits.

The Hobbit and The Return of the King. I don't know if it was the animation or what, they they scared me a lot as a kid.

I don't know if this counts because it wasn't a US cartoon, but the Unico movies freaked me as a kid. That Lord, or Baron or whatever he was just made me want to hide under the bed. And the second movie, Korukoo was just nuts. Another guy I wouldn't want to meet in the woods at night.

Lastly, The Nutcracker Fantasy. It was a stop motion movie a long time ago. The ragman in that film was scary. I could take the mice and the two headed Rat Queen, but the Rag Man scared me. I was sure to not be awake at bed time after seeing that movie when I was little. I didn't want him finding me awake and turning me into a mouse.

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:29 pm

I remember when I first saw The Nightmare Before Christmas (one of my favourite movies of all time by the way), the doctor that made Sally and the Boogie dude creeped me out. Wiseman from SM gave me the creeps to (and still does).

I would just like to say that I <3<3<3<3<3<3<3 The Hunchback of Notre Dame (especially because of the music. Clopin and Quasi are AWESOME tenors).
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)

Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Passions55 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:07 am

The Ghostbusters version of the boogiman. OMG he scared me when I was little. Not only was he one of the most badass ghosts the in the orginal Ghostbusters cartoons, but he had the most freaky character design. If you ever see still shots of the Boogiman you would think with his big over sized head and large ears and nose and the purple blazer is ridiculous, but man watching this guy while in motion was just freaky, it was just the way he was animated. He looked like a white devil, but his voice was really what made really scary, it just sent made me freeze sometimes.

Actually there where quite a few elements that and ghosts that appeared in the ald cartoon that freaked me out a little. That show was just great.

but the single most frightening cartoon character that scared me when I was little has got to be the Grundle from the Ghostbusters cartoon. I have to say that even now as an adult this charcter still scares me a bit. Just the way he was presented in the show as a evil spirit that hides outside childrens windows begging them to "come out and play with him" and begging to be invited in was creepy. He was scarey because he would exploit young children and corupt them by manpulating them into doing evil things and then slowly turning them into Grundles like him was scarey. This character character is really more suited for an adult content movie. I watched this episode recently on youtube, and I as all by my self at night, and it actually manged that uncomfertable hot/cold scared feeling while I was watching it. This is the first time in any cartoon that I have gone back to watch as an adult that has done this to me.

jam-chan
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by jam-chan » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:18 pm

Oh God, I was TERRIFIED of "Snow White" when I was little.....and "Pinocchio" too, for that matter. That one part where they start turning into donkeys? I had nightmares for weeks.....(and oddly enough, now I love those movies BECAUSE they're so creepy........)
I was also really scared of the Beetlejuice cartoons, and "AAH! Real Monsters", and the Disney short of "Peter and the Wolf".

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:26 pm

All Dogs Go To Heaven for sure creeped me out with the hell references. The part in Bambi where his mom dies and the forest fire scared me. I agree about Snow White, that forest scene scared me. I was scared of the whale in Pinnochio I seriously thought that him and Gepetto(sp?) were going to die.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:14 pm

I had nightmares because of The Pagemaster. The Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde dude scared me so much...