What kind of books do you like to read?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Mimete
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

What kind of books do you like to read?

Post by Mimete » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:43 pm

I love to read, but I'm probably the pickiest person when it comes to reading. I don't like books that are too long but I also don't like ones that are too short, and unlike my Mom I can't read everything, I only like to read certain books.

Anyways I mostly like to read Horror Stories and books set in historic ages.

I just recently started reading the Young Royals series by Carolyn Meyers which is about the girls from the famous Tudor Family of England. I've only read the ones about Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth and they were very good books, and I want to get the ones about Princess Catherine and Anne (technically she wasn't a princess but she did become Queen briefly).

My favorite book so far was Mary, Bloody Mary. I never realized what a tragic person Mary was until I read this book. Most people when they think of Mary Tudor they think "Bloody Mary, the Queen who had 300 people burned at the stake", but this book potrays her as a much more sympathetic character. It talks about how Mary went from Riches to Rags when her father King Henry the VIII divourced her mother Catherine, married her horrible stepmother Anne, declared her a bastard, and forced her to become a serving maid for her new sister Elizabeth. It was a very sad story.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:11 pm

Its a mix for me I used to be strictly fantasy, now I read sci fi, biographies, and Ive always loved historical books for non fiction works. And im a huge Comic book fan have been since I was 8 years old. My only pickiness comes with how long a story should be dragged out. Lately my friend has been getting me books which span like 12+ books. I just dont have the patience for such long stories at times. I can take books that need follow up up to about 4 books then after awhile its like "is this over yet?" lol.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:52 am

I tend to have odd tastes. Usually, if I'm not reading something like, say, Gossip Girl (or something else aimed at teenagers) I'll be reading a lesbian novel (I recommend the Nancy Clue books, because they're funny as).
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:54 am

My favourites are ususally comedy books. I love being made to laugh, especially if you interpert how the characters say things.

I personally love Louise Rennison's books. If you like comedy books I urge you to read her Georgia Nicholson series. They are hilarious.

I also Like Dead Gorgeous by Malorie Blackman, it's funny and it deals with serious issues like Bulimia.

I sometimes read fantasy books too, the sort with Vampires and werewolves and stuff. One book in particular is Dead witch walking. Very good read and also quite comical.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!