Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:37 pm

While the first topic focuses solely on the latest episode for the week, this one will be somewhat opposite. Feel free to discuss ANY aspect of the series as long as it stays within the rules of the site; for example, you can go nuts with your Katang/Zutara/Tokka theories, but no fanwork or spamming other Avatar fansites her. Keep talk specific to the latest episode in that topic, but certainly feel free to mention certain parts of it here if you're wanting to discuss theories and speculations you might have about character and plot developments. If you want to talk about episodes and the events that have not aired in the US yet (to see where we are, check out the Current Episode topic), then please use spoiler tags so as not to ruin the surprise for others. Thanks, and enjoy :D
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:41 pm

Awesome. XD

I gotta start out by saying that Avatar is a simply amazing show. I definitely didn't think i'd like it at first, becuase of it being a Nick show, but found it to be great. I love the art style, and how it has some anime aspects, but isn't a complete OMG LOOK AT ME, I CAN BE ANIME TOO type of show. It has its own unique elements both in the art and style.

My favorite characters are Ang, Uncle Iroh, and Toph, though there aren't really any characters I dislike. Katara and Sokka are great, and despite his whining, Zuko tugs at my heart strings now and then. Zuko's bitch of a sister is probably the only one I REALLY dislike, but then..she's meant to be hated. XD

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:02 pm

I didnt get into it when it first came out but I catch it now on the weekends and whenever I can since nicktoons reairs all the first season. I have to say I love Toph and Uncle cracks me up. I loved the dynamic between him and Zuko and I feel Zuko's pain he has compassion in a empire where its frown upon and hes torn between trying to prove himself to his father and as a suitable leader and being compassionate to others. I like the whole love dynamic betweeen Aang And Katara. And the animals are too cute I <3 Apa ^_^
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:44 pm

Fantastic show. Katara is my absolute favorite character in the series followed extremely close by Uncle Iroh. The writing in it is very intelligent. I mean it can be silly, but generally speaking it is quite smart. They don't dumb down the dialog or the humor. The audience not being treated like morons = win.

My favorite aspect of the show is the bending. It's more than "Hey look! I can bend Earth!" but the actual styles used. When I first watched it I noticed the amount of detail used in each individual element. Not only is it more than just point and shoot, it's actually an art in itself. Motions and stances. No two bending styles were alike. It wasn't until I watched the bonus features in the second season DVDs that I understood why. Each bending style is based off of an actual form of martial arts. Water Bending is based off of Tai chi. Northern Shaolin is used in fire bending and so forth.

Not only bending, but each culture is unique. Air nomads have a monk-like culture (no meats and a dedicated respect for nature and all things in the world) and the water tribes remind me of the Alaskan Indians. The Fire nation and Earth Kingdom seem to have a mixture of Asian cultures (I can't quite peg the styles, but the then I'm not ashamed to admit that I get confused with Asian cultures. Especially the old dynasties that seem to flavor the Avatar).

I mean, you HAVE to respect a show which puts that much effort into it.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:36 pm

Tempest wrote:
My favorite aspect of the show is the bending. It's more than "Hey look! I can bend Earth!" but the actual styles used. When I first watched it I noticed the amount of detail used in each individual element. Not only is it more than just point and shoot, it's actually an art in itself. Motions and stances. No two bending styles were alike. It wasn't until I watched the bonus features in the second season DVDs that I understood why. Each bending style is based off of an actual form of martial arts. Water Bending is based off of Tai chi. Northern Shaolin is used in fire bending and so forth.
You know, I never realized that until you said it. That's some pretty awesome detail.

Not only bending, but each culture is unique. Air nomads have a monk-like culture (no meats and a dedicated respect for nature and all things in the world) and the water tribes remind me of the Alaskan Indians. The Fire nation and Earth Kingdom seem to have a mixture of Asian cultures (I can't quite peg the styles, but the then I'm not ashamed to admit that I get confused with Asian cultures. Especially the old dynasties that seem to flavor the Avatar).

I mean, you HAVE to respect a show which puts that much effort into it.
Yeah, I like how each different type of bending/each nation has a culture all its own.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:11 am

That is cool Tempest and like Tiff I never stopped to think about how they broke down the different styles and cultures. I just always thought each Bender moved very gracefully while attacking. Even Earth Bending which is abit more forceful has a grace to it. I find myself mesmerised watching fight scenes, this is the first nick show that ive ever been this into that I didnt have to force myself to like.

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:37 am

The bending differences didn't really dawn on me until I watched an episode out of the first season called "The Great Divide". When the Earth-bender tour guide took his stance to pull a boulder out of the ground I noticed how solid and close to the ground he was. After that I paid better attention to the fighting styles. The other three looked similar which is why I never paid attention to the differences until then. After my observations were confirmed by the DVD bonus features I was able to see more differences on the second time around. ^^;

Yeeeah. I pay way more attention to detail then I should for a cartoon show.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Mimete
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Mimete » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:26 pm

I really love Avatar! It is one of my favorite shows and is right next to Sailor Moon!

As people have said before the characters are really awesome, even Azula who is suppose to be hated is still an awesome villainess.

My favorite characters are nearly everyone from the Fire Nation (Zuko, Azula, Iroh, Ty Lee, Mai, etc), Sokka, and Suki.

I'd say Aang is my least-favorite character. It's not that I hate him, but I think at first he was just too childish and "Look at me! I'm an Airbender!", but I do like how he's matured as the seasons go by.

I love how each Nation has a certain culture influence. Like how the Air Nomades are like the Hyndu Monks, the Water Tribes are like the Native Americans, the Earth Kingdom is like Korea (and appearantly has some US Sterotypes like hillbillies and hippies), and the Fire Nation is like China and Japan.

I'm hoping after the story with Aang ends that the creators make a new series based on Avatar. Like a prequel that shows us the Air Nomades and how they lived and how the Fire Nation was before they decided to conquere the world.

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:18 pm

ONe of the things that has really drawn me to this show is how WELL the plots develop. Yeah, the individual episodes and character development are very key - and frankly, this show does an amazing job of that - but all the episodes, even the more "filler"-like ones, really come together and tell a tremendous story. There have been a number of very well-written twists and turns throughout the journey, and for a kids show in the US, it's surprisingly mature. Death and loss aren't avoided as if they were the plague; if anything, all the characters have to deal with important losses as they make their way through their journeys. What's more, these losses aren't done just for the sake of doing them, but rather, they are important for the various aspects of the story to come together.

In terms of characters...it's really hard for me to say which is my favorite. The main group - Aang, Katara, Sokka, Toph, Zuko, Iroh, and to an extent Azula - are all written SO WELL, and part of what endears me to a character is how easily I can understand them ^^ Right now, I'd have to say that Sokka is my favorite; despite his lack of Bending prowess, he's got so much other talent - swordsmanship, intelligence (especially when it comes to war strategy and mechanics), and natural leadership - that he almost stands out at times above the rest of the "Avatar" crew. Azula's also awesome, if anything because she's such a perfect villain; no motivation except to be powerful XD I really hope we don't get too much of a "jealous of Zuzu" vibe later on, because her just being the sadistic bitch that she is works perfectly :D
- David Graña

My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:26 pm

I like Sokka's light heartedness to. Even in the face of danger you can always count on him to say something that makes ya laugh. He and Katara's closeness is nice to and the way they still squabble. Its not the perfect I love my brother and sister thing or the We have to hate each other cause where brother and sister. And heck even Zuko and Azula have a better relationship then some siblings are portrayed in cartoons. It just feels more real even as rivals at times you can tell they have a bond there. And yes Azula is definately a great villian she makes you want to hate her but I find myself respecting her to. I think the epsiode that hooked me is the one where Uncle tells Zuko "no shes a psycho wench" or something along those lines. I love it even though its animated it just has a real feeling to it. The characters are human feeling their drama, humor all the dynamics.

Mimete
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Mimete » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:32 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:I like Sokka's light heartedness to. Even in the face of danger you can always count on him to say something that makes ya laugh. He and Katara's closeness is nice to and the way they still squabble. Its not the perfect I love my brother and sister thing or the We have to hate each other cause where brother and sister. And heck even Zuko and Azula have a better relationship then some siblings are portrayed in cartoons. It just feels more real even as rivals at times you can tell they have a bond there
I couldn't agree more, most American TV sibilings are just so.... horrible. They always act as if they want to murder each other and they rarely have any love at all. Sokka and Katara have a real brotherly sister bond, they fight but they also love each other and look out fcor one another. And like you said even Azula and Zuko show more love then sibilings in most cartoons, I especially liked the episode "The Beach" where Azula acted concerned about Zuko.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:03 pm

Starscream wrote:ONe of the things that has really drawn me to this show is how WELL the plots develop. Yeah, the individual episodes and character development are very key - and frankly, this show does an amazing job of that - but all the episodes, even the more "filler"-like ones, really come together and tell a tremendous story. There have been a number of very well-written twists and turns throughout the journey, and for a kids show in the US, it's surprisingly mature. Death and loss aren't avoided as if they were the plague; if anything, all the characters have to deal with important losses as they make their way through their journeys. What's more, these losses aren't done just for the sake of doing them, but rather, they are important for the various aspects of the story to come together.
That's one of my favorite aspects, too. Even when there are filler episodes, SOMETHING still happens to move the plot along.

I love how much raw emotino there is in the show. It's not dumbed down, and like you said, the characters have to deal with loss and sadness, and so many of the emotions they feel are very real. I've been driven to teary eyes in a few episodes here and there, and it's not often a cartoon other than anime does that to me.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:19 pm

Like a lot of people, I didn't think too much of this show when it first aired. But it's actually grown on me a lot. I'm quite eager to see how it develops this season.

Yeah, it definately keeps a moving story. That's what I like about most anime series I watch. There's always a path the show is going and it just makes you want to go along for the ride till the end. Seeing all the cultures and new people has really been a treat. It's just beautifully done plot and art. This season alone has had some pretty heavy revelations.

Right now though, I really wish they'd show more Uncle. My heart definatley is going out to Zuko right now. He looks like he could use some guidence or a real friend. Up until this season I was hoping Aang would make his feelings a little clearer to Katara, but with the way things are developing, I think it's wiser that he wait.

I know this probably sounds silly, but I'm still crossing my fingers that there may still secretly be a few airbenders left.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:30 pm

DreamEmpress wrote:
Right now though, I really wish they'd show more Uncle.
I'm wondering if they're showing less Uncle Iroh is becuase they're using his understudy to voice him since the original voice actor died? It would make sense, though I've heard the stand-in is really good (i've yet to hear him).

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:22 pm

Normally I dont rush the week but im really looking forward to friday night. Trying to debate if I should just bring my laptop in the family room to watch it on the large screen cause the movie looks like its going to be awesome ^_^ I wonder which side will come out the victor and how will the Earth and Water benders work together or will they work together? And Aang vs the Fire Lord *bounces with anticipation*

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:50 pm

I've seen it (found the leaked episode along with 311 a few weeks back) and it's awesome; y'all are in for a treat when it comes on :D

Don't forget to use the "Weekly" topic to discuss it :D
- David Graña

My Livejournal.

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:07 pm

Ok, there seems to be a bit of confusion as to what's allowed in this topic and what isn't. I'm not going to chastise anyone, but from now on, the following is enforced:

Any specific plot details arising from the current episode of Avatar is considered a spoiler and should be marked as such until the latest episode airs. If it's been more than a month between airings of the latest episode, it should not be considered a spoiler any more and discussion of the plot is allowed.

The Fire Lord issue, I believe, was only made evident to be so soon in the latest (i.e., current) episode, so it should be in a spoiler. However, as of this Friday, that episode will not be considered spoilery anymore, and can be discussed without the use of tags.

If anyone has any more questions, please feel free to PM me with them and with clarification requests, and I will do my best to acquiesce to them.
- David Graña

My Livejournal.

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:18 pm

I love Avatar! :D

My favorite characters are Sokka, Iroh, Aang and Toph. Even though I didn't care for him at the begining of the series, I now love Zuko. The creators were able to develop his character in a way that his change seemed very realistic.

Sokka is my absolute favorite because I like intelligent characters and he's quite funny. And even though he may not seem like it a first, he is one of the most vital members of the team and probably the most irreplacable (besides Aang). I just hope we get to see him use some mad sword skills in the upcoming episodes. :D
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

Mimete
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Mimete » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:59 pm

I agree, Sokka is one of the importaint characters in the show. What makes him so unique is that he's not a Bender yet he's still a skilled fighter, and not betrayed as "I'm the worst member on the team because I have no powers" like most people like him are potrayed in shows like Avatar.

Sailor Magic
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Sailor Magic » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:42 pm

Toph is my fave character, [spoiler]but in 311 she lost points with me for being nice to Zuzu... but other than that [/spoiler]she rocks! Her crush on Sokka is really cute!