Avatar: The Last Airbender Weekly Discussion

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Avatar: The Last Airbender Weekly Discussion

Post by Starscream » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:33 pm

I was a bit surprised to find that no one had created an Avatar topic yet, so in response, here we go!

The purpose of this topic is to discuss the latest episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender (known as Avatar: The Legend of Aang in the UK, and perhaps elsewhere, Wikipedia is rather vague on that point). I know the UK is ahead of the US in its airing of the show, but for the purposes of this topic, let's stick with what is shown in the US. Posts should focus solely on discussion about the week's episode, referring to other episodes and character developments as need be. For those of you who have seen episodes ahead of where the US is, please do not talk about them in this topic, but if you MUST, put them behind a spoiler tag, please.

We'll start with the episode that airs tonight, "The Puppetmaster". If people would like to post as soon as something interesting happens in the show, feel free; I'm going to allow non-spoiler tag posting for the current episode since its assumed that we're all watching it ^^ If there are any questions about this topic, please PM me and I'll be happy to respond :D
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:07 am

K im so glad I stayed up and caught the west coast showing of this. It was worth staying up to catch it. I will just say this tonights episode gave new meaning to water fight. I couldnt help feel torn between feeling sorry for Katara and hoping that she understands she just gained a really powerful talent. Yes its evil to some extent but it could really help her in a serious situation and I think Katara is smart enough to know how to use this without it being twisted like the older woman did.

Though I will say if I was rotting in a jail for as many years as she did id have probably lost it to and took an any means neccessary approach to get out and for survival. But id want revenge to, guess I can just see why she snapped. Though I knew something was off about her after the "fire lillies incident." Anyone who dont care for natures beauty even flowers=baddie in my book lol.

And the ghost story opening was awesome. ^_^
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:23 am

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:K im so glad I stayed up and caught the west coast showing of this. It was worth staying up to catch it. I will just say this tonights episode gave new meaning to water fight. I couldnt help feel torn between feeling sorry for Katara and hoping that she understands she just gained a really powerful talent. Yes its evil to some extent but it could really help her in a serious situation and I think Katara is smart enough to know how to use this without it being twisted like the older woman did.

Though I will say if I was rotting in a jail for as many years as she did id have probably lost it to and took an any means neccessary approach to get out and for survival. But id want revenge to, guess I can just see why she snapped. Though I knew something was off about her after the "fire lillies incident." Anyone who dont care for natures beauty even flowers=baddie in my book lol.
That's how I feel about it. Katara was never in the situation that the old woman was in, so I imagine that if she was ever forced to use that technique she would do so responsibly (well, as responsible as you can be with something like that). The water fight was pretty damn awesome, though.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:16 pm

This was a great episode, no doubt about it, but I'm going to have to side with Katara's not wanting to use Bloodbending. Granted, she's never seen the horrors that Hama had while imprisoned, but she WAS witness to a number of Fire Nation atrocities in her own village. Despite that, she has a strong sense of morality and ethics, and I for one am proud of her for trying her hardest to balance her desire to be a stronger Waterbender with her desire to not sink to the level of her enemies. I'll grant that, worst comes to worst, she very well may have to resort to using the technique, but she's not going to be one to use it for revenge, especially against people who didn't do anything to her.
- David Graña

My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:34 pm

Yep I Think Katara will definately handle the skill better. I just see how the old woman snapped. Sure Katara seen attrocities but she wasnt penned up in a cage and tortured like the woman and the other southern waterbenders. Im not saying what she did to the innocents was right, but I can fully understand why she snapped. And why what was once something sacred became a means for revenge. I just really think Katara gained a new skill that if god forbid herself and her friends get into another situation simular to the fall of the Earth Kingdom she can use it to at least get them away from the enemy. I dont see Katara ever twisting blood bending into a way of evil. But its awesome to see that the element of Bending doesnt just stick to the elements. Cause watching Toph take that bracelet and turn it into a key was amazing. I wonder what they will do with Air?

Mimete
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Mimete » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:58 pm

I agree, it was a pretty interesting episode. I felt really bad for the old woman and for Katara because in a way she betrayed her own people but for a good cause.

Wow, only a couple more episodes until Aang faces Fire Lord Ozai. :o

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:29 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:Yep I Think Katara will definately handle the skill better. I just see how the old woman snapped. Sure Katara seen attrocities but she wasnt penned up in a cage and tortured like the woman and the other southern waterbenders. Im not saying what she did to the innocents was right, but I can fully understand why she snapped. And why what was once something sacred became a means for revenge. I just really think Katara gained a new skill that if god forbid herself and her friends get into another situation simular to the fall of the Earth Kingdom she can use it to at least get them away from the enemy. I dont see Katara ever twisting blood bending into a way of evil. But its awesome to see that the element of Bending doesnt just stick to the elements. Cause watching Toph take that bracelet and turn it into a key was amazing. I wonder what they will do with Air?
Oh, no question it's a very powerful art, it just goes against everything that Katara believes in, and thus she feels so repulsed when she finally loses it and begins affecting Hama with it.

Also, I wouldn't say that Blooodbending doesn't affect the elements; after all, the human body is ~75% water, so it does work by using its traditional elements, just not in a traditional manner ^^ It's rather frightening to think that a bending art associated with healing could actually be the most powerful one of them all.
- David Graña

My Livejournal.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:40 pm

Starscream wrote:Also, I wouldn't say that Blooodbending doesn't affect the elements; after all, the human body is ~75% water, so it does work by using its traditional elements, just not in a traditional manner ^^ It's rather frightening to think that a bending art associated with healing could actually be the most powerful one of them all.
It kind of reminds me of "Anti Clerics" when I used to play D & D how you could make an evil cleric who could use the art of healing to actually inflict damage. Its like "yeah I can heal your tush but I can also wither your insides." I like how the skill can be used to basically make puppets out of people though it is very evil I can just imagine making my neighboor pick up behind his dog lol "Dance monkey Dance!" </attack on neighboor>

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:24 pm

Wow tonights episode I could really relate to, lack of sleep and hallucinations do go hand in hand. It was a good episode though I got alot of laughs from it. Specially the Momo/Apa showdown lol oh man seeing them dressed as warriors and the sword play was funny as heck.

Then Aang's day dream kissy face action.

And did anyone else notice Zuko no likey the life of a Prince? Maybe the simplistic life he had in the Earth Kingdom sunk in?

Good episode all in all though poor Aang over anxiety sucks big time.

Fruityla
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Fruityla » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:11 am

*Random Appearance after falling off the face of SMU*

On the Puppetmaster subject: I DON'T see Katara ever using Bloodbending again. She didn't want it to begin with and she now hates the fact she has such a power. The exception would have to be very, very, extreme.

On the Nightmares and Daydreams subject: This week, people can't keep their pants on and defeating the fire lord requires a math test! Appa is also tired of Momo telling him what to do.

Speaking of Appa >_> Where did Sokka learn to make armor? I mean, yeah we saw him make a sword...but he was being directed and assisted...and swords are completely different from armor.

"Don''t let the cave-in get you down
Don''t let the falling rocks turn your smile into a frown...Sokka"
- Minstrel "Avatar: The Last Avatar"

Now you see me <_< Now you don''t

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:18 am

lol I always saw Sokka as a "Jack of all Trades" when it comes to combat including armoring and weaponry. I just think because he comes across as goofy at times that people dont really notice he has a keen intellect when it comes to battling and what goes into it. I mean even in the beginning of the episode he picked a prime area for the invasion. I think someone mentioned it in the other Avatar topic that he really is a valuable asset to the team due to his knowledge of battles and stradegy.

Appa's voice I had fits of giggles from it and Aangs hair changed with every dream and I was trying to fit the styles to other Anime characters I knew it copied. Got to watch it again to do so though.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:48 pm

I will say this about tonights movie its the second time I teared up during an Avatar episode. (The only other episode that ever made me tear up was the tales of Ba sing Se when they show Iroh singing at his sons grave.) But back on the subject I'll just say this, the adults that participated in the fight are extremely brave. It was just a moving 2 episodes tonight totally worth watching. But i'll wait to start comparing notes when others post.

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:03 pm

Oh my gosh! I thought I was the only one who felt emotional over this two parter. Everyone who participated in the battle were brave. The vehicles were very cool. Not at all what I would have expected. The levels of skills used was mind blowing. But I have to say I'm the most proud of Zuko. He really showed some maturity and pride in his own path. I'm looking forward to seeing what he'll do next.

I'm going to say this because it's irritating me. The Fire Lord is a big coward. If he had any sense of honor, he'd have met with Aang. (sorry, just my personal feelings)

Lastly, was that small moment with Aang and Katara not the cutest? I'm crossing my fingers for more in later episodes.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:29 pm

Same here about the Aang and Katara DreamEmpress. I loved the swamp benders they were just awesome. The vehicles were amazing to. And im sorry ya had to be made of stone if the adults sacrifice didnt touch ya at least a little and im sorry it made me tear up thinking of how far they are willing to go to see peace return. Stuff like this makes Avatar such a great show to watch its not cheesy dramatic and even without the action (which is always awesome) the personal tales involved always pulls me in. Im hoping Iroh is also going to be more central now from this episode and that Aang and them are prepared to learn what they can from Zuko because I have a feeling he could become a very valuble asset to them.

And did anyone else have a feeling this was going to happen? without knowing spoilers of course, the last couple of episodes since Zuko had returned to be a prince you could tell he just wasnt happy.

Mimete
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by Mimete » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:52 am

Yeah, it was pretty obvious from the hints that Zuko knew his choice wasn't right and that he was going to turn good sooner or later.

I think that this episode means there's going to be a Book 4: Air since it's going to take place in the Air Temple. I have a feeling that the gang isn't going to welcome Zuko so well after what he's done and he will probably have to earn their trust.

Also I felt so sad when Zuko left the good-bye letter for Mai. :( They were such a good couple and now Mai along with Azula and Ty Lee will probably end up hunting Zuko again.

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:10 pm

I'm sure there'll be Book 4: Air. I mean, considering that they've gotten through water and earth. But they've still got 9 or 10 episodes to go in this book. (considering each book so far has been 20 chapters.) I'm very eager to know what is to come.

I had no idea what Zuko was going to do. He was restless, but I was very surprised when he announced he was going to join Aang. It's hard to read him when he's really moody. I'm just glad he took the story of his grandfathers to heart.

But I do agree. Zuko is going to have a lot of trust to build.

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:40 pm

Book 3 Chapter 12 is now online!

http://www.avatarchapter.com/56/book-3/chapter-12.html

Zuko is hilarious in this episode! :lol:
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:01 am

[spoiler]what did i tell you people! Zuko is just having a lot of trust building obstacles. but he's gonna be okay I think.

Rin, thanks for the link! I just loved it. Man, Katara is scary when she's angry. But all in all, a very entertaining episode. I couldn't stop squealing for joy.[/spoiler]

*gomen, I got a little too carried away in the excitement. I'll try to remember the spoiler button in the future. It's just so hard to wait for it to release in the US. Very very sorry, once again*
Last edited by DreamEmpress on Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:11 pm

[spoiler]From Book 3 Chapter 12

It was interesting to see just how much Zuko changed and matured over the series. The flash backs I think really made this episode special.

We get to see at the begining where Zuka was very rude to his uncle and very insulting, and now at this point in the series, he looks back and feels very guilty about it. He's no longer the brat he was at the begining and he's no longer desparate to get his father's love back.

And we got to see another side to him.

I nearly died laughing when he imitated Iroh and Azula. XD And then later after first meeting Aang and his group this little dialogue:

"Why did I tell them I was the one who set the assassine after them! I should have just said Azula sent him! They would have believed that!" XD, You have to feel sorry for the guy because he is at least trying.

Then later after he burns Toph's feet.
"Why is it so hard to be good!"

Zuko is definently the most developed character in the series. He had the most dynamic change over the entire series.[/spoiler]
Last edited by Rin on Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:57 pm

To Rin and DreamEmpress:

The purpose of this topic is to discuss the latest episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender (known as Avatar: The Legend of Aang in the UK, and perhaps elsewhere, Wikipedia is rather vague on that point). I know the UK is ahead of the US in its airing of the show, but for the purposes of this topic, let's stick with what is shown in the US. Posts should focus solely on discussion about the week's episode, referring to other episodes and character developments as need be. For those of you who have seen episodes ahead of where the US is, please do not talk about them in this topic, but if you MUST, put them behind a spoiler tag, please.

Episode 12 has not aired in the US yet, and while I appreciate that some people (myself included) might have downloaded and watched it already, please put talk about un-aired episodes behind spoiler tags as I requested in the first post. Thank you.
- David Graña

My Livejournal.