TV shows you thought you would hate but then liked

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

User avatar
Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 950
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:31 am
Location: Australia

TV shows you thought you would hate but then liked

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:21 am

Yeah, you can guess quite easily where I got the inspiration for this thread.

As for me, The L Word. I saw the second half of the pilot episode, didn't enjoy it too much, and swore off the rest of the series. A while later, I decided to give it a second chance, so I downloaded the pilot and watched it all the way through. One thing led to another, and I've not only bought the first three seasons on DVD, but I've lent one of them (the second season) to a friend (who thought that the pairing of Gabby and Lara was hilarious, given the timing).

Also, I thought I would hate Passions intensely and label it as 14 shades of crap. I was wrong. It's only 12 shades of crap. And it's strangely addictive (although I stopped watching after Timmy died and we don't get the show down here anymore).
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:10 am

Some reality shows. ^^; I used to hate all reality shows, then I got hooked on Amazing Race, Survivor, Kitchen Nightmares, Hell's Kitchen, and a couple of others. My mom and I get together weeklyand watch them after she Tivos them. Granted, I won't watch ALL of them...some of the ones she watches make me go wtf?

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:03 pm

Yeah im the same I used to be seriously anti Reality because it ruined Mtv in my opinion (okay sucka free sunday helped really kill it to but reality shows really did it a blow in my eyes). Now I watch survivor, and hells kitchen as well. Now I remember a few shows from back in the day that I didnt think id get into because before I met my ex my sci experience was limited to old star trek that I was forced to watch with my moms boyfriend. But after marrying a trekie I got into TNG, Ds9, Voyager, then other shows like Stargate, Babaylon 5 and the like. And it shocked me because when I was younger having to sit threw the whole Kirk experience I swore up and down Id never get into shows like that lol.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."




*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

User avatar
Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:35 pm
Location: Somewhere in North Carolina

Post by Hobbes » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:40 am

I won't say that I hated Pushing Daisies. More like wary. I never thought they could get the concept off the ground. When I went home for fall break, my mom and I watched together and I was pleasantly surprised. Now that the strike's going on, I don't know how long it will be before a new episode airs. :(
I AM YOUR LOVE-LOVE GODDESS B[BLEEP]ES!
-Aino Minako from Suburban Senshi

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Uh, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
-Michael Scott, The Office

User avatar
Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak
Posts: 484
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:30 pm
Location: Insane Asylum
Contact:

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:22 pm

I used to dislike reality shows, but I love New York is so fake and cheesy you cant help but love it. I am a shallow person for liking that, I know.

I used to hate Dancing with the stars, but I've taken a fancy to the sparkly outfits the women wear. *__* SHINY
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:42 pm

I thought i'd not like Avatar: The Last Airbender at all. First off, it was a Nickolodeon (sp?) show, and I am not fond of that channel at all. Back when I was a kid, they had some decent shows, but now it pretty much sucks. So I figured Avatar would suck, too. Boy, was I wrong. Now it's one of my favorite shows =D

Family Guy's another. I first saw an episode when I was about 14, and I didn't get the humor at all. I didn't see it again until I was about 18 or 19, and love it.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1149
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:43 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA.
Contact:

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:26 pm

I'd also have to say Passions and Avatar. My mother and sister are big fans of Passions and I used to roll my eyes at it because I thought it would be like all the other soap operas out there but sometimes when I would come downstairs while they were watching it I would listen to what was going on and I found myself coming downstairs during the show more often. Eventually I just started watching it on my own and I realized how different it was from other soaps and I loved the show's supernatural elements and I thought the self-parodies were a riot. I even started to like Theresa for awhile back last year when before I used to swear to myself that I would always hate Theresa and now I hate Ethan more than her but sadly I don't get directTV so I can't watch it anymore. I used to refuse to watch Avatar because I thought it would be like one of those lame anime rip-off cartoons like Winx Club with the horrible animation and annoying characters that were only trying to cash in on anime entering into the mainstream but after reading a friend's LJ entry about it, I started to get more interested in the show and I decided to give it a try and now I love it to death. I love the characters, how it actually has a plot, the hilarious sarcastic humor and puns, and I think Avatar is probably the first American cartoon TV series who's animation actually really impressed me.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

User avatar
Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:31 pm

Tiff wrote:Family Guy's another. I first saw an episode when I was about 14, and I didn't get the humor at all. I didn't see it again until I was about 18 or 19, and love it.
I remember watching the first episode after the superbowl and I was like this show wont last 2 episodes lol now I watch it every sunday. I was the same with American dad to for some reason Seth Mcfarlanes shows have to grow on me. They tend to aggrivate me at first then an episode will make me laugh my ass off and I say hmm this show is funny.

And I was the same with Spongebob, I completely did not want to watch the show cause my god son who I nicknamed Demonseed obssessed over the show. So when my little one got into it I tried to avoid watching it now I watch it with him every day and laugh.

Another show I got into was Angel, though I was a huge Buffy fan I hated spin off shows cause alot of times they are hits then misses. But after a few episodes I became hooked on that show, even threw the whole My son with another vampire gets kidnapped by a demon and comes back an angst ridden teen crap lol.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."




*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

User avatar
Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Posts: 1185
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:13 am
Location: TN
Contact:

Post by Tempest » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:17 pm

Tiff wrote:I thought i'd not like Avatar: The Last Airbender at all. First off, it was a Nickolodeon (sp?) show, and I am not fond of that channel at all. Back when I was a kid, they had some decent shows, but now it pretty much sucks. So I figured Avatar would suck, too. Boy, was I wrong. Now it's one of my favorite shows =D
Same here. I refused to watch it simply because it was a Nick show. My brother, who was living in South Carolina at the time, kept telling me to watch it saying that it was seriously good. I watch it and I LOVED it.

Firefly. It was created by Joss Whedon and I never liked Buffy or Angel so I refused to watch it. It wasn't until I friended a huge Firefly fan and she assured me that it was nothing like Buffy. I was able to catch it when Sci-fi ran an all day marathon shortly before Serenity was scheduled to hit theaters and I became seriously hooked after that.

Supernatural. Another show I didn't watch because of the network it was on. :/ I didn't watch any of the shows that came on the WB/CW(whatever) and i assumed that this show was going to be no different. It wasn't until a few months back that my mom purchased a boxset of the first season because she was interested by the synopsis and thought it was something we both would enjoy. OMG. Three episodes in and I became addicted. So much Dean love.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

User avatar
denizenofevil
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 6:15 pm
Location: Washington

Post by denizenofevil » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:44 pm

Tiff wrote:I thought i'd not like Avatar: The Last Airbender at all. First off, it was a Nickolodeon (sp?) show, and I am not fond of that channel at all. Back when I was a kid, they had some decent shows, but now it pretty much sucks. So I figured Avatar would suck, too. Boy, was I wrong. Now it's one of my favorite shows =D
.
That's exactly how I was! Now, I love Avatar. Another show i thought i would hate... is Naruto or Dragonball Z. Also, Rurouni Kenshin but i ended up loving all of the them but now, Dragonball Z not as much.

User avatar
Passions55
SMU Fan
SMU Fan
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:49 am
Location: USA

Post by Passions55 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:22 pm

I thought I would hate That 70's Show because I thought it looked stupid but ended up really enjoying it. It is really very funny and clever at times and I love Almost all the characters. Each character, even the annoying ones, have their own special appeal that makes it a guilty pleasure to watch them.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
_______________________

No one can ride your ass unless you bend over and Let them!

User avatar
NekoSun518
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:51 pm
Contact:

Post by NekoSun518 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:58 pm

Before I ever watched House I thought I would hate it because I don't really like medical shows......and then I finally gave it a chance and now it's one of the only shows that I watch. Also South Park. I watched one episode and hated it until I got to college and gave it another chance. Now I watch it all the time because I think it's hilarious. Oddly enough, I didn't think I'd like Sailor Moon either.....and I'm clearly a fan now haha :D
My Myspace

A convo between me and my best friend Shannen

Me: Did something just explode?
Shan: *looks at me*
Me: What was that noise?
Shan: Jackie, its been thundering out for the past half hour.
Me: It has?
Shan: Yes, Jackie. Your brain exploded.

"But I am le tired"
"Well have a nap then FIRE Z MISSILES!"

User avatar
Ravynsoul90
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:35 pm
Location: Ontario Canada

Post by Ravynsoul90 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:30 pm

Wedding Peach :oops:

::EDIT::
Tiff wrote:
Ravynsoul90 wrote:Wedding Peach :oops:
ADMIN MODE:

You might want to

a) Not use huge colored font to get your point across. It's a bit of an eyesore.

b) elaborate on your post. Explain why, etc.
Gomenasai *bows*

>.>

Wedding Peach, I thought the title itself sounded.... awkward
and the wedding dress... jama-p..

Its incredibly weird and an incredible Sailor Moon knock-off
You know when Aphrodite appears and theres that strange noise?
Its the same sound the Heart Crystals gave off in the S season
....*cough*
*back on-topic*

Its suprisingly not as horrible as you'd think, I thought the story lines were cute, and the characters were fun.. if ya want a break from Sailor Moon but still in "magical girl mode"

... Watch Wedding Peace
Last edited by Ravynsoul90 on Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
So Sorry, Usagi-chan! We will take your energy after the wedding as your Wedding Gift to us okay? :D - Kuroki Mio(PGSM)

Must... Kill... BILL!!!!

Move your goddamn big toe..

"What a time we live in, anger, intolerence, famine, terrorism.. Just imagin what its gunna be like for your grandchildren"
- My English Teacher O.O

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:41 pm

Ravynsoul90 wrote:Wedding Peach :oops:
ADMIN MODE:

You might want to

a) Not use huge colored font to get your point across. It's a bit of an eyesore.

b) elaborate on your post. Explain why, etc.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:49 pm

I hated Law and Order at one point, because there was this period of time where all my parents would watch is Law and Order on TNT I think. (Since they're usually having Law and Order marathons). Then one day I watched one episode of Law and Order: SVU and I loved it. I mainly watch Law and Order: SVU and sometimes the other Law and Orders. I also hated reality TV but then I started watching The Apprentice, I got hooked up until the sixth season, the LA season which was stupid and The Donald fired Carolyn (his right hand woman) and replaced her with his daughter Ivanka and also replaced George with his son Donald Jr. I didn't even bother to watch Celebrity Apprentice. Not only these changes but the feud between him and Rosie is just childish.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:13 pm

AnimatedEvey12 wrote:I hated Law and Order at one point, because there was this period of time where all my parents would watch is Law and Order on TNT I think. (Since they're usually having Law and Order marathons). Then one day I watched one episode of Law and Order: SVU and I loved it. I mainly watch Law and Order: SVU and sometimes the other Law and Orders. I also hated reality TV but then I started watching The Apprentice, I got hooked up until the sixth season, the LA season which was stupid and The Donald fired Carolyn (his right hand woman) and replaced her with his daughter Ivanka and also replaced George with his son Donald Jr. I didn't even bother to watch Celebrity Apprentice. Not only these changes but the feud between him and Rosie is just childish.
The same two things happened to me. XD I never tried L&O because I figured it'd be boring courtroom stuff. Then when I started dating Joe, he told me how great the show was. I gave it a try, and now I LOVE SVU.

Also, I got hooked on the Apprentice when my mom had me watch it last year...but I didn't bother with the celebrity shit, either.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
Lightweight
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:14 pm

Post by Lightweight » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:29 am

Avatar is one, and I curse Nickelodeon everyday for taking it off their regular schedule (whilst padding it with 3 straight hours of "Spongebob"). Coming off several anime-wannabes, I had already marked this one down, but one day, out of morbid curiosity, I watched. I can't really remember which episode was it, but it totally changed my perception of it. Now, I just wish Nickelodeon were smart enough to at least give it a regular weekly appearance.
Now listening to: Gorillaz: El Mañana

"You can teach an old dog new tricks... but you cannot teach Madonna to act."
-Yakko Warner


Officially finished watching all Sailor Moon episodes as of April 19, 2008!!!

User avatar
AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:08 pm

Tiff wrote:
The same two things happened to me. XD I never tried L&O because I figured it'd be boring courtroom stuff. Then when I started dating Joe, he told me how great the show was. I gave it a try, and now I LOVE SVU.

Also, I got hooked on the Apprentice when my mom had me watch it last year...but I didn't bother with the celebrity shit, either.
Exactly, I thought it was going to be all boring courtroom stuff, and I also was irritated by the little sound effect they have every couple of minutes (when they say what time and where they were for investigations). I liked last week's new episode where Olivia goes undercover as a prisoner. I dunno but most of the contestants on Celebrity Apprentice, aren't really celebrities. I mean Omarosa, come on!
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

User avatar
Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff
Posts: 7604
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Post by Tiff » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:41 pm

AnimatedEvey12 wrote:
Exactly, I thought it was going to be all boring courtroom stuff, and I also was irritated by the little sound effect they have every couple of minutes (when they say what time and where they were for investigations).
XD; I love the sound effect. When Joe and I watch it, we're constantly going "DUN-DUN!" when the sound comes on.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

User avatar
AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:29 pm

Yea I've gotten used to it but I really like the theme of L&O. Sometimes I randomly hum it. :D
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Locked