Inconspicuous Sweeney was, quick and quiet and clean he was

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Inconspicuous Sweeney was, quick and quiet and clean he was

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:22 am

Back of his smile, under his word
He was in movies that everyone heard

Johnny pondered and Burton planned
like a perfect machine they planned
Johnny was smooth, Rickman was subtle
Sweeney could blink and rats would scuttle...

OK, that practically wrote itself, and made little sense, but this has a minimum of three things going for it:

Tim Burton
Johnny Depp
Sondheim's music.

Pi "To seek revenge will lead to hell, but everyone does it (though seldom as well)" ka
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:09 am

ADMIN MODE:

Okay.

Can you please make this topic more specific? Seriously, I have no idea what the hell you're posting about. And not everyone wants to have to click a link to a video to get the gist. And the rhyme doesn't help.

Please edit and add a little more explanation/description to this post.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:34 am

Sorry...I thought I was specific enough. Especially with the words "Tim Burton", "Johnny Depp", and "Sondheim's Music". Obviously, not enough people have attended the tale of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

(for all those who haven't yet had the pleasure of clicking the video, it's a trailer for Tim Burton's film of the above musical, with Depp as a vengeful barber. Alan Rickman also stars as the Judge who wronged Todd, by arresting him and locking his daughter in a tower. Borat plays Pirelli, while a certain Mr Giles sings in the opening ballad)
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Hobbes » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:25 am

Your song has made my morning brighter. :)

I hope Johnny pulls this off with the singing. I'm kind of apprehensive about it, but this type of movie is up Tim Burton's alley. They should do a good job of it.
I AM YOUR LOVE-LOVE GODDESS B[BLEEP]ES!
-Aino Minako from Suburban Senshi

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Uh, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
-Michael Scott, The Office

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:29 am

If the movie is good or bad, it doesn't matter. Rickman AND Johnny are in it. That is enough for me, <3

I'm iffy about Deep's singing though.
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:37 am

Jusenkyo no Pikachu wrote:Sorry...I thought I was specific enough. Especially with the words "Tim Burton", "Johnny Depp", and "Sondheim's Music". Obviously, not enough people have attended the tale of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
That'd be like me just listing two random celebrities and an opera or something. I mean, yes, you're listing aspects of what may be in the video, but it's still pretty vague.

And no, not everybody has. I don't care much for Tim Burton, and quite frankly, I only like Johnny Depp in PotC. And I don't even KNOW anything about Sondheim's music.

Regardless, thanks for adding to your post.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:58 pm

I seen the broadway version of this albeit taped. Ive also seen the Angela Landsbury version. I liked the play its dark and brooding but I dont think it would matter to me if big names produced and stared in it as long as they make the characters as believeable as some of the actors ive seen. Dark comedy asside I dont want Sweeny Todd flopping about like a fish without water. As much as I love him as Jack Sparrow I just dont know if I can see Depp pulling the character off. But that is just my opinion.

Any clue on whose playing Miss Miggins?
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Hobbes » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:00 am

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:I seen the broadway version of this albeit taped. Ive also seen the Angela Landsbury version. I liked the play its dark and brooding but I dont think it would matter to me if big names produced and stared in it as long as they make the characters as believeable as some of the actors ive seen. Dark comedy asside I dont want Sweeny Todd flopping about like a fish without water. As much as I love him as Jack Sparrow I just dont know if I can see Depp pulling the character off. But that is just my opinion.

Any clue on whose playing Miss Miggins?
Miss Miggins? I've seen the musical as well, but I don't know who that is. Mind giving a description?

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Uh, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:12 am

probably got her name wrong lol but the older lady Sweeny moves into who bakes the "meat" pies I always thought that was her name for some reason lol

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Hobbes » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:15 am

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:probably got her name wrong lol but the older lady Sweeny moves into who bakes the "meat" pies I always thought that was her name for some reason lol
Oh, Ms. Lovett. It's okay, LOL. In Tim Burton's version, he's getting Helena Bonham Carter to play the role. Can he not find any other female lead to do his movies?

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:19 am

Ugh Helena Bottom Carter...I am not going to watch this movie Id rather watch the play its one of my favorites and I have a feeling this movie would kill that.

And thanks Hobbes I still dunno where the heck I pulled Miggins from LOL my brain is getting too old too fast.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:52 am

Tiff wrote: And I don't even KNOW anything about Sondheim's music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsPvNdfS97I

This is from the national tour, as performed with George Hearn as Sweeney and Angela Lansbury as Mrs Lovett.
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:33 pm

Hobbes
Oh, Ms. Lovett. It's okay, LOL. In Tim Burton's version, he's getting Helena Bonham Carter to play the role. Can he not find any other female lead to do his movies?
But she AUDITIONS! For EVERY roll! FOR CEREAL!!!111

-_- Does anyone remember that Family Guy episode where Lois was holding auditions for the King and I and Peter gets up on stage and says "This is just a formality since I happen to be doing the director."? It's the same situation here.

Senshi_of_Vision
Ugh Helena Bottom Carter...I am not going to watch this movie Id rather watch the play its one of my favorites and I have a feeling this movie would kill that.
No kidding. Johnny Depp asked not to have any songs in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Corpse Bride because he knew he couldn't sing well. If Corpse Bride is any indication, Helena can't sing worth shit even when the song is written around her two note range, and Burton's never directed a musical (Henry Selick directed Nightmare Before Christmas). This movie's got success written all over it.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Hobbes » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:03 pm

peachvampiress wrote:No kidding. Johnny Depp asked not to have any songs in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Corpse Bride because he knew he couldn't sing well. If Corpse Bride is any indication, Helena can't sing worth shit even when the song is written around her two note range, and Burton's never directed a musical (Henry Selick directed Nightmare Before Christmas). This movie's got success written all over it.
I need to re-watch The Corpse Bride to see how truly bad this could be. She can pull off the crazy (she scared a bit as Bellatrix), but if she can only do two notes.... I don't even sing and that's bad.

Can we get George Hearn to cover up Johnny if he sucks? And on a separate note, can Alan Rickman sing? He is Judge Turpin after all.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:39 pm

Hobbes
need to re-watch The Corpse Bride to see how truly bad this could be. She can pull off the crazy (she scared a bit as Bellatrix), but if she can only do two notes.... I don't even sing and that's bad.
It's all over youtube

Again. This song is written around her voice. For her range. For what she's capable of singing. And apparently she was the best person to play Mrs. Lovett. Unfuckingbelievable.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

~Suicide Kings

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:56 pm

K after watching that I know that I cannot watch this movie I mean no offense it was okay for the character all moody and depressed But Ms Lovett was a lively old broad who was boisterous as she baked her meat pies. I just cant see Helena doing "Have a little prince" with the enthusiasm Ive seen Angela Lansbury have.

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Hobbes » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:02 am

Maybe she won't completely suck? *tries to hopeful*
Senshi_of_Vision wrote:K after watching that I know that I cannot watch this movie I mean no offense it was okay for the character all moody and depressed But Ms Lovett was a lively old broad who was boisterous as she baked her meat pies. I just cant see Helena doing "Have a little prince" with the enthusiasm Ive seen Angela Lansbury have.
No one's ever going to compare to the original Broadway cast in terms of performance. Each person brings their own things to the role and I'm thinking Helena going to put the really macabre part of Mrs. Lovett's personality out there, but I have to agree a bit that her enthusiasm won't be as high. That's the best part of her character, how she's so upbeat as she's stuffing those people into the oven and making pies until the last second when she [spoiler]sees Lucy.[/spoiler]

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

ul

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:59 pm

Hobbes wrote:No one's ever going to compare to the original Broadway cast in terms of performance. Each person brings their own things to the role and I'm thinking Helena going to put the really macabre part of Mrs. Lovett's personality out there, but I have to agree a bit that her enthusiasm won't be as high. That's the best part of her character, how she's so upbeat as she's stuffing those people into the oven and making pies until the last second when she [spoiler]sees Lucy.[/spoiler]

That is true and I would like to hope that this movie could show that some of these actors could pull off the roles. It just makes me nervous cause I tend to get upset when a character is written a certain way then changed completely but another actors take on said character. And If Helena can pull off Mrs Lovett then great. My only worry is how the character will come off because even though the character is macbre, the gem of Mrs Lovett is that despite the fact that she willingly helped a man dispose of people he killed by making them into pies she was boisterous about it. She wasnt some drab mean ultra dark character. She had the kind of personality a person would trust to come in enjoy some pie then go get a shave..hehe

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Re: ul

Post by Hobbes » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:23 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote: She had the kind of personality a person would trust to come in enjoy some pie then go get a shave..hehe
Like [spoiler]the Beadle[/spoiler], perhaps? LOL

Can Alan Rickman sing? I'm curious. And Sacha Baron Cohen singing is going to be odd. o__O

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:57 pm

Senshi_of_Vision
It just makes me nervous cause I tend to get upset when a character is written a certain way then changed completely but another actors take on said character.
I can't help but think of a feature I saw on the Sleepy Hollow DVD (hey look, another gothic Burton movie staring Johnny Depp). It was about whether or not to make Ichabod look ugly (you know, like he is in just about all versions of the story?). Johnny was saying how he was totally willing to wear prosthetics to make him look ugly (larger nose, long arms) but Burton wanted to express his more unappealing characteristics like his squeamishness.

Because a pretty, girly Johnny Depp squealing at the sight of a spider, or fainting eight different times is sooooo repulsive and unappealing.

I'm not too familiar with Sweeney Todd, but I heard that Sweeney's supposed to be a balding, slightly heavey, middle aged man. From what I've seen from the trailer and pictures, it looks like this is going to be another case of "Let's make the character pretty, but highlight his unattractive qualities". Teenage, female Hot Topic shoppers certainly won't find a pretty, tortured soul out for revenge to be attractive. Not at all -_-

~Suicide Kings