Inconspicuous Sweeney was, quick and quiet and clean he was

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:33 pm

Well the play from what I can remember is set in old England you know of the Blackadder the second style era I believe. Where the poor were dirt poor and the nutty loons ran the city streets screaming till they were put in wagons to be dragged off to assylum. There were no pretty people save Sweeny's daughter and the male she falls in love with (forget his name right now) Most were poor ruddy cheeked peasants. The only groomed people were the Judge his right hand (forget his name to man got to go watch that play again) and the daughter as i said before. Now in the play the Sweeny Todd I seen was not bald but he was older cause he spent years in an austrailian prison (I may need correction on the location of the prison). But the main characters Sweeny, Lucy, Mrs Lovett and alot of the locals *victims* were not pretty people and I dont think id like to see them all prettied up.

All in all though I love the story loved the play it was one of the first I saw they showed it for art and music appreciation class and I fell in love. Finally not some play where its all about dancing and love something dark and twistedly funny. Its number one in my top 3 plays the second being Miss Saigon and 3. A christmas Carol only cause I got to see Patrick Steward play Scrooge live *heart eyes*
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:54 am

Senshi_of_Vision wrote: There were no pretty people save Sweeny's daughter and the male she falls in love with (forget his name right now) Most were poor ruddy cheeked peasants. The only groomed people were the Judge his right hand (forget his name to man got to go watch that play again) and the daughter as i said before. Now in the play the Sweeny Todd I seen was not bald but he was older cause he spent years in an austrailian prison (I may need correction on the location of the prison).
a) Anthony Hope
b) the Beadle
c) Indeed it was Australian.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Hobbes » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:35 am

I'm not too familiar with Sweeney Todd, but I heard that Sweeney's supposed to be a balding, slightly heavey, middle aged man. From what I've seen from the trailer and pictures, it looks like this is going to be another case of "Let's make the character pretty, but highlight his unattractive qualities". Teenage, female Hot Topic shoppers certainly won't find a pretty, tortured soul out for revenge to be attractive. Not at all -_-
*in a sing-song voice* I smell merchandising....
I AM YOUR LOVE-LOVE GODDESS B[BLEEP]ES!
-Aino Minako from Suburban Senshi

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Uh, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
-Michael Scott, The Office

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:18 pm

Clip of Johnny singing from the movie

Johnny, hun. Pirates of the Caribbean is over, you can stop talking like Jack. The comments are hilarious to. I didn't know that Teh HAWTNESS!!111 was a factor in how well someone can sing.

You know, I'd give my right arm to know what goes through Colleen Atwood's head when she has to design costumes for a Burton film. Is it "Why don't I just save us the time and money and just get out the costumes from Edward Scissorhands and Sleepy Hollow" or is it "I don't even need to know the context or plot of the movie, but I know I'll need some black, white and grey material, and a shit load of pinstripes."
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:52 pm

K after watching that ive only one question, he did years in an austrailian prison and came out so pale? I mean maybe my history of crime studies are fuzzy but I thought the men did hard labor outdoors. And in the play sweeny always had a sort of skin tone that set him out because he was away from gloomy london so long. The singing asside im sort of over the whole Gothic take on movies Tim Burton does, I mean it just seems like hes run with it abit too long.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:30 am

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:K after watching that ive only one question, he did years in an austrailian prison and came out so pale? I mean maybe my history of crime studies are fuzzy but I thought the men did hard labor outdoors. And in the play sweeny always had a sort of skin tone that set him out because he was away from gloomy london so long. The singing asside im sort of over the whole Gothic take on movies Tim Burton does, I mean it just seems like hes run with it abit too long.
He's also spent a very long time on a boat Most of that was probably inside.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:33 am

True I didnt think about that either though I still think its abit too gothic for my tastes. The Play spoiled me lol. Tim Burton is a good director I loved what he did with Batman back in the day Edward Scissorhands is still one of my faves as well but I think I'll stick to the play when it comes to Sweeny Todd its just my preferance.

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:50 pm

Ok, so I just saw the movie last night. Maybe it's because I've never seen the play so I have nothing to compare it too, but I LOVED IT. As in, there were parts were I forgot to BREATHE. I thought Johnny did an amazing job, even if there were definate Jack Sparrow moments. I think I ran through pretty much every emotion while watching that movie: there was the dark humor, unrequited love, the gore that made me shut my eyes and want to hurl, the adorable little Toby, and at the very end when [spoiler]Sweeny throws Mrs. Lovett into the fire, I just exploded into tears.[/spoiler]
When I got home late at night, it took me forever to calm down enough to sleep because my emotions were just going haywire on overload. Just remember the movie is making me want to see it RIGHT NOW.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:04 pm

the*blue*girl wrote:Ok, so I just saw the movie last night. Maybe it's because I've never seen the play so I have nothing to compare it too, but I LOVED IT. As in, there were parts were I forgot to BREATHE. I thought Johnny did an amazing job, even if there were definate Jack Sparrow moments. I think I ran through pretty much every emotion while watching that movie: there was the dark humor, unrequited love, the gore that made me shut my eyes and want to hurl, the adorable little Toby, and at the very end when [spoiler]Sweeny throws Mrs. Lovett into the fire, I just exploded into tears.[/spoiler]
When I got home late at night, it took me forever to calm down enough to sleep because my emotions were just going haywire on overload. Just remember the movie is making me want to see it RIGHT NOW.
Im glad you seen it and posted that I knew Tim Burton would keep the dark themes close to the original though im still not sure I want to see the movie due to being such a fan of the play. Though im glad to know the ending pretty much sticks to the original. I was kind of afraid a new spin would happen where Ms Lovett doesnt suffer her ultimate fate would happen and that kinda stuff would have really annoyed me.

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:26 pm

I just saw this with my parents...

0_0;

*will have nightmares*

It was REALLY well done, and good performances from basically everyone. I feel ashamed though... I didn't recognize Sasha Baren Cohen during the movie. ;_;

Edit:
Dear god, I can't believe I forgot. SNAPE FTW. Snape. Snape. Severus Snape.
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

SailorStarfire07
SMU Newbie
SMU Newbie

Post by SailorStarfire07 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:24 pm

^ Lawls, I geeked out when The Beadle and Judge Turpin were singing about his stubble. I was like, "WORMTAIL AND SNAPE!" :lol:

I have seen the broadway show, granted on DVD but it's still the play, and then I saw this movie a month later. Loved it to pieces. Love both versions to pieces for completely different reasons.

Helena Bonham Carter did a wonderful job as Mrs. Lovett, believe it or not. She's completely different from the Angela Lansbury version, but that's an interpretational thing. Mrs. Lovett isn't required to bounce insanely.

I personally don't like it when people say they don't like a movie just because it's different from the stage show. I mean yeah, you lose some things because they need to make cuts for the sake of pacing. I thought the pacing was excellent despite the fact that they cut a few songs. In fact for a movie, the pacing probably would have screwed up a bit it they added much more. Plus they cut the choral numbers to make the main characters much more central. The ballads would probably distract the audience from the plot and then only having the chorus singing God That's Good would be weird...

I really liked Toby in this movie. They actually made him a kid unlike the stage show where it was an adult playing a kid. Maybe I'm incredibly slow, but when I first saw the stage show I didn't get that he was supposed to be a kid; I thought he was just some crazy midget sheltered away from life far too much. This is one of the highlights of making a movie from a musical.
*~SailorStarfire07~*

"Robin, who is this girl? And why does she call you, ''''poo?''''"
~Starfire, Teen Titans