Cartoon Network shutting down?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:36 am

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:...or Adult Swim airing Voltron even though that's a little kid's show.
It may be, but you'd be surprised at how many creepy forty and fifty year olds literally breathe, eat, LIVE for that show.... *shudders*
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:57 am

Neon Heart wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:...or Adult Swim airing Voltron even though that's a little kid's show.
It may be, but you'd be surprised at how many creepy forty and fifty year olds literally breathe, eat, LIVE for that show.... *shudders*
...How in the name of God is that different than us liking anime? Voltron ORIGINATED as an anime. And last I checked, sailor moon was pretty much a "little kid's show", too, and yet we all watched it and some of us threw a fit when cartoon network dropped it.

As for the "creepy forty and fifty year olds"...I happen to like voltron, and started out watching it when I grew up in Japan. I still have taped episodes in raw japanese. And to be honest, we're not THAT much different than the "creepy forty and fifty year olds" who like voltron. We're in our 20's, 30's, and 40's and like sailormoon.

And think about it. Voltron is a VINTAGE show. Therefore, ADULTS know about it, hence why it would be on adult swim.

I mean, come no, people. Isn't that a little judgemental?

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:21 am

I understand that Sailor Moon is also a kid's show (though personally I almost hope that it never returns to Cartoon Network as I can't stand that dub anymore). I wasn't referring to Voltron as being a kid's show to be judgmental or anything as I love kid's shows. Sorry if it came across that way. I was trying to use it to point out the hypocrisy of people complaining about live-action shows on Cartoon Network just because it's called "Cartoon" Network and people solely using the name of the network to prove why they should never air anything but cartoons yet nobody complains about why a non-adult show is airing on Adult Swim even though it's called "Adult" Swim (although techincally, Adult Swim's programming has always been more geared towards teenagers than adults with the majority of their shows being rated TV14 rather than TVMA). I wasn't trying to say that Adult Swim shouldn't air Voltron or that there's something wrong with adults for watching it. I was just trying to say that Cartoon Network has never adhered to the strict definition of their network's name nor has Adult Swim so using the name to prove that them airing live-action will be the "death" of their network seemed pointless to me.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:11 am

Tiff wrote:
Neon Heart wrote:
...How in the name of God is that different than us liking anime? Voltron ORIGINATED as an anime. And last I checked, sailor moon was pretty much a "little kid's show", too, and yet we all watched it and some of us threw a fit when cartoon network dropped it.

As for the "creepy forty and fifty year olds"...I happen to like voltron, and started out watching it when I grew up in Japan. I still have taped episodes in raw japanese. And to be honest, we're not THAT much different than the "creepy forty and fifty year olds" who like voltron. We're in our 20's, 30's, and 40's and like sailormoon.

And think about it. Voltron is a VINTAGE show. Therefore, ADULTS know about it, hence why it would be on adult swim.

I mean, come no, people. Isn't that a little judgemental?

I was a part of the Voltron fandom a lot longer than the Sailor Moon fandom. It's just... different. Just trust me on that. They obsess over that cartoon far too much for it to be considered healthy. Unless you actually go over to the official forum, then you might not get it.

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:28 am

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:I understand that Sailor Moon is also a kid's show (though personally I almost hope that it never returns to Cartoon Network as I can't stand that dub anymore). I wasn't referring to Voltron as being a kid's show to be judgmental or anything as I love kid's shows. Sorry if it came across that way. I was trying to use it to point out the hypocrisy of people complaining about live-action shows on Cartoon Network just because it's called "Cartoon" Network and people solely using the name of the network to prove why they should never air anything but cartoons yet nobody complains about why a non-adult show is airing on Adult Swim even though it's called "Adult" Swim (although techincally, Adult Swim's programming has always been more geared towards teenagers than adults with the majority of their shows being rated TV14 rather than TVMA). I wasn't trying to say that Adult Swim shouldn't air Voltron or that there's something wrong with adults for watching it. I was just trying to say that Cartoon Network has never adhered to the strict definition of their network's name nor has Adult Swim so using the name to prove that them airing live-action will be the "death" of their network seemed pointless to me.
I gotcha now. That makes good sense, and I agree. It isn't like Adult Swim has ALWAYS had this set standard, as you said
I was a part of the Voltron fandom a lot longer than the Sailor Moon fandom. It's just... different. Just trust me on that. They obsess over that cartoon far too much for it to be considered healthy. Unless you actually go over to the official forum, then you might not get it.
Have you never been to an anime convention?? Do you think certain anime shows don't have the SAME type of following, where the fanboys and girls spazz over every ltitle things in the show, obsess over it, and are complete and utter elitists?

No, it's not different.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:40 am

Voltron is also hardly the first kid's anime to air on Adult Swim. I remember that back in the early days of the block when it was still apart of Cartoon Network they used to air the edited kid-friendly version of Outlaw Star instead of picking up the uncut dub to air. And Neon Heart, if you think Sailor Moon fans are never obsessive with their fandom, you obviously have never been to Sailormoon.com before.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:14 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:Voltron is also hardly the first kid's anime to air on Adult Swim. I remember that back in the early days of the block when it was still apart of Cartoon Network they used to air the edited kid-friendly version of Outlaw Star instead of picking up the uncut dub to air. And Neon Heart, if you think Sailor Moon fans are never obsessive with their fandom, you obviously have never been to Sailormoon.com before.
or Grep*Sailormoon, aka sailormoon.org [email protected];

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:25 pm

Tiff wrote:
Have you never been to an anime convention??

No I haven't. I don't honestly know how most other anime fans act toward their favorite anime, I'm guessing like you said. I dunno, it's just a little strange when 40 and 50 year olds start obsessing over anime like Voltron, even though Voltron was mostly stock footage with no substance.

I dunno.

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:38 pm

You could say the same thing about Sailor Moon with its episodic and predictable plot, recycled footage, obviously inconsistent animation style and errors, uneven character development, poorly executed romantic storylines, cliched villains, deus ex machinas, excessive amounts of plot holes, cheesy believe in yourself morale value messages and inaccurate adaptation from its source material, but that doesn't stop us from loving Sailor Moon all the same or from still being the anime I've re-watched the most out of all my anime DVDs. But just because you don't like Voltron doesn't mean other people can't obsess over it if they want. They might look silly to you, but that's your problem, not theirs. Last I checked it was a free country and people could express their opinion if they wanted to. And in any case, I fail to see what hardcore Voltron fans has anything to do with Cartoon Network shutting down.

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:38 am

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:And in any case, I fail to see what hardcore Voltron fans has anything to do with Cartoon Network shutting down.
-- Mod Mode --

That was going to be my point. Back on topic, please.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:26 am

I don't think cartoon network will shut down. I think there are worse channels than that, I for one hate Nickelodeon apart from Spongebob. Although I do think that since I was a child Cartoon Network is lacking the decent shows I used to enjoy. For example:
Courage
PPG
Cow & Chicken
I R weasel
Johnny Bravo

And the only thing's I would watch on CN now are Foster's and Ed. Edd n eddy.

But then again I am only speaking for myself and standards have changed quite a bit since back in the late 90s and early 00s. Now nearly every cartoon on CN lacks that depth cartoons once had. There's barely any originality anymore. CN used to have strange, odd cartoons that you had never seen before but now they are just rip offs of old shows. For example Johnny Test=Johnny Quest.

And why we are on the topic, has anybody noticed how Toonami has been constantly changing? It's gone from CNX to Toonami to Cartoon Network too, (I think that's what it's called). It used to show shows like DBZ, Beyblade, Pokemon e.t.c but now it shows poo programs. The only thing I watch on there now is X-men evolution.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:33 am

Iced_Cappucino wrote: Although I do think that since I was a child Cartoon Network is lacking the decent shows I used to enjoy. For example:
Courage
Courage is still shown...I see it on my guide I believe every night.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:12 pm

It's usually on late though I don't really know I haven't watched CN in a long time
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:13 pm

I believe I saw Courage on sometime yesterday in the afternoon or evening. I guess Cartoon Network hasn't completely lost it's mind, yet..

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:06 pm

Neon Heart wrote:I believe I saw Courage on sometime yesterday in the afternoon or evening. I guess Cartoon Network hasn't completely lost it's mind, yet..
Courage is on at 10:30 every mon-thurs I think. XD;; I watch it all the time. (Atleast at night. I dont watch tv in the daytime .__.)

I love the fact Cartoon Network is airing goosebumps. >__>; Haven't seen that show in years.

And monday is SLAPPY DAY!! *squee* SLAPPY!!
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:42 pm

It's on earlier here, so it's probably 10:30 eastern time.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Dr. Casey
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Dr. Casey » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:59 pm

I feel it necessary to say that Powerpuff Girls was the best American cartoon ever made. It's the only non-anime cartoon I honestly enjoy watching.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:41 pm

I was a really big fan of most of the Cartoon Cartoons that started out as shorts. I will give CN this they still put out alot of new shows by up and coming cartoonists still. I mean some make my head hurt like that 12oz mouse show but they have had some funny ones I like Morale Oral, the Venture Bros, Frisky Dingo and a couple others. I think if they had a thing like the nicktoons shorts where even more indie creators could showcase their stuff id watch more at night definately. But it was the cartoon cartoons and off the wall shows on adult swim that made me a big fan of Cartoon Network.

And I still watch Bommerang with my kid man I love seeing the snorks and Josie and the pussycats stuff that I watched alot as a kid. I think I watch more Boomerang then Cn because of alot of the shows I used to watch not being aired on CN anymore. I miss shows like the Brak show, Sealab and Spaceghost to I may just be missing them but I havent seen them on any line up those shows were a good way to get some laughs in.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:44 pm

My main problem is that in the UK CN show different things, for example they don't have an adult swim on CN here. And some of the shows people have been mentioning aren't shown in Britain.
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:47 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote: I think if they had a thing like the nicktoons shorts where even more indie creators could showcase their stuff id watch more at night definately. But it was the cartoon cartoons and off the wall shows on adult swim that made me a big fan of Cartoon Network.
Wasn't that basically what What A Cartoon Show was? I remember seeing the pilot episode of The Powerpuff Girls on that show and they used to have some other program like that for Canadian cartoons called O Canada or something like that.