SPOILER: Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Thread

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:21 am

Rowling's answers to what happens to everyone.

What has me confused about this now is that at first she was saying that Harry and Ron both become Aurors, but then she says that Ron is helping George out with his joke shop now. So which one is it?
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:31 am

SeiUsa wrote:Above all, I hope they keep the "BITCH!" line in. People are actually complaining about this line. "This is a children's book!" Um, yeah, I think this stopped being a kiddie's book when people started getting murdered left and right...oh wait...
(But yeah, deaths and murders and evil people are OK, but cuss words are not.)
And the Harry Potter series have always had swearing. Most of it was minor swear words like damn and hell, but even back in the first movie Draco called Neville's bottom a "fat arse." And that line wasn't even in the book. It's not like swearing is something new in the Harry Potter series.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

yamijounouchi
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by yamijounouchi » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:01 am

jupiter23 wrote:What has me confused about this now is that at first she was saying that Harry and Ron both become Aurors, but then she says that Ron is helping George out with his joke shop now. So which one is it?
i don't know which one it actually is, but personally, i prefer the latter. it doesn't really seem like ron would become an auror (though he has mentioned considering it in the past), for some reason, i just can't see it. a joke shop seems more likely, as ron has always been a fan of fred and george's inventions, and has always admired them for it. also, perhaps in ron picking up the slack that fred left, he and george would grow closer.
"those with the least to smile about seem to be the ones that laugh the most. the lips smile, but the eyes reveal the truth." --- me

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:15 am

The part that makes me cry is the Snape/Penseive part.

How dare Lily chose mean, ebil James over poor Snapey.

GIVE SNAPE HUGS!! HE DEMANDS HUGS!!! T_T

Snape has always been a good guy. I now cannot wait untill I see this part in the DH movie. Why..? Teennage Snape=Teh hawtness. (IMO after seeing the 5th movie)
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:00 am

Queen Of Hearts wrote:The part that makes me cry is the Snape/Penseive part.

Snape has always been a good guy. I now cannot wait untill I see this part in the DH movie. Why..? Teennage Snape=Teh hawtness. (IMO after seeing the 5th movie)
well if Lily married Snape then the books would have been titled "Harry Snape" and that just doesn't sound right lol

Im glad I was right about Snape. I admit I wasn't completely right I figred the Dumbledore death scene was staged, but I was right about Dumbledore having asked Snape to do it.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:24 pm

Sailormars Obsessed fan wrote:
Queen Of Hearts wrote:The part that makes me cry is the Snape/Penseive part.

well if Lily married Snape then the books would have been titled "Harry Snape" and that just doesn't sound right lol
Even is Harry Snape doesn't sound good, Fatherly Severus = Teh Win
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:32 pm

Things I liked about Deathly Hallows:
-I actually liked how the majority of the book didn't take place in Hogwarts for a change. It made for a nice change of pace and gave the plot a more epic questish feeling that I felt was appropriate for the final book. I thought the camping scenes were important to Ron's character development and the fleshing out of his relationship with Hermione and I didn't think it was any more episodic and repetitive than the other Harry Potter books are.
-I liked how Ron was the one who destroyed the locket Horcrux instead of Harry for a change.
-I loved all the Ron/Hermione moments, of course.
-Anything with Luna was great, even if she didn't have that large of a role in this book.
-I loved Dumbledore's past. I thought Rowling did an excellent job of fleshing him out into a fully believable multilayered character. His past especially makes sense when you consider what voldermort said in the first book about how there is no good or evil; only power and those too weak to seek it. And it makes Dumbledore's line about how it does not do good to dwell on dreams and forget to live in the present all the more powerful.
-I loved all the action scenes, my favorites being Mcgongall's showdown with Snape and Mrs. Weasley's battle with Bellatrix.
-My favorite moment was Harry and .co's escape from Gringrott's by stealing a dragon. That scene is going to look just so cool in the movie. I also thought Hermione disguising herself as Bellatrix was sheer genius.
-I loved all the scenes at the Malfoy's mansion, especially Doby's rescue. Even if I never cared much for Doby, his death just made me tear up and I thought it was sweet that Harry dug his grave without magic.
-I loved how Kreacher ended up being good after all and led the house elves' rebellion against Voldermort.
-I loved seeing how much Neville has grown since the start of the series. It's just amazing to see how much more confident and courageous he's become over the course of the series.
-I loved how nearly all the characters played a role in the final battle. My favorite being Trewelaney and her crystal balls.
-The scene where Harry walks down to face Voldermot side-by-side by the spirits of his loved ones just really teared me up.
-I had pretty much guessed that Harry would be the last Horcrux but I thought Rowling would let him die. I thought she handled his coming back to life in a way that made sense though, so I'm not so disappointed that he lived and it's kind of nice that he's living up to his reputation as the boy who lived.
-I loved all the scenes of Snape's past and was glad he ended up being not totally evil in the end.

Things I didn't like so much-
I still don't think Rowling knows how to write romance outside of Ron/Hermione. Harry/Ginny still feels too forced and out of left field to me and the same goes for Lupin/Tonks.
-For someone who's supposed to be the wife of Harry Potter, I was disappointed that Ginny was so shafted in this book. I wish Rowling had given her a larger role or at least had her participate more in the final battle.
-I wish Rowling had actually shown how Lily and James hooked up. Lupin's one sentence explanation in book five just doesn't cut it for me.
-She should have actually explained what the veil was.
-I wish we could've found out what happened to the Dursleys'. Even if I didn't care much for them, I at least wanted to know if they survived or if Harry still kept in contact with them.
-I wish the epilogue could've been more detailed and showed more of what the other characters were up to besides just who ended up marrying who and I still don't like Harry married with Ginny.

Overall thought I really enjoyed this book and I can confidently say I thought it was the best. It's sad the Harry Potter series has come to an end, but I'm glad Rowling ended it off at a good note instead of milking it for all its worth. I hope she'll write something else in the future because I really enjoyed her writing in general and I'm looking forward to seeing the remaining movies.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Banana
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Banana » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:46 am

I didn't like the epliogue. Gosh Harry is such a name hog isn't he? James (mostly likely middle name Sirius), Lily, and Albus Severus (I wonder how hard he fought with Ginny over that name). I hope they can at least have one more child and Ginny can name it after someone important to *her*.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:32 am

Banana wrote:I didn't like the epliogue. Gosh Harry is such a name hog isn't he? James (mostly likely middle name Sirius), Lily, and Albus Severus (I wonder how hard he fought with Ginny over that name). I hope they can at least have one more child and Ginny can name it after someone important to *her*.
*shrugs* Maybe Ginny was respectful and caring enough of her husband to realize how important it was, and simply agreed that the names were fine? -_-

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

StarFlame Soldier
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by StarFlame Soldier » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:38 am

On the Ron's job confusion, in the Wikipedia article it says that Ron helped George with the shop before leaving to become an auror. The reference is cited as an interview with J.K. Rowling (May be the one already mentioned, I'm not sure).
I think Ginny would have run out of names anyway, now that there are two of every character :). No, really I like names and it gives me a chance to be inventive (I still like to think of names for the child of Finn and Jay in Kate Forsyth's Eileanan books.)