Is Ratatouille a flop?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Is Ratatouille a flop?

Post by Aya Reiko » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:16 am

Ratatouille in it's third week has only earned $142 mil. domestically. By all estimates, it should exit the theaters with a total of about $170 mil. domestically.

For most films, that would be passable, but this is Pixar. And a $170 mil. US B.O. take would make this movie one of Pixar's worst films financially. This would be a huge blow to Disney, who is expecting Pixar to be their knight in shining armor.

For comparison, here's a chart of past Pixar films and how well did they do in the box office:

Code: Select all

Movie            Domestic Earnings  Release Date
Finding Nemo     $339,714,978       5/30/03
The Incredibles  $261,441,092       11/5/04
Monsters, Inc.   $255,873,250       11/2/01
Toy Story 2      $245,852,179       1/19/99
Cars             $244,082,982       6/9/06
Toy Story        $191,796,233       11/22/95
A Bug's Life     $162,798,565       11/20/98
Ratatouille      $148,425,089       6/29/07
And that doesn't take inflation into account. So, in a word, ouch.

Here's the question:

Should Ratatouille be called a flop?
And why did it not do better at the box office?
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:13 am

I don't think it's late enough for us to call it a flop. Certainly not the block-buster success Disney hoped it would be, but I think it will at least break even, if not a bit more.

As for why? Easy: Transformers and Harry Potter. It came out a scant 3 days before TF; after that, forget it. TF dominated the box office that week, and still didn't fare too terribly after Harry Potter took its place at number one. Had it come out a week or - better yet - two weeks earlier, it would have probably seen more action, but the hype this summer was all about TF and HP. It would have been a struggle regardless.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:40 am

o.O I'm with Dave.

Plus, I mean, even though it didn't make as much money (and who can blame them, like Dave said, with two huge franchises coming up right behind it), it got EXCELLENT reviews, being hailed as one of the best Pixar films yet (which I agree with as well).

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:13 pm

Another problems with Rat is the lack of merchandising and tie-ins, aka peripheral advertising.

A part of the problem was that very few knew it was in theaters. No buzz was being made for it, thus no one cared.

IMHO, they chose a bad date to release the film. Rat should've come out in the beginning of June or early April. Maybe even held off releasing it until November.

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:30 pm

Aya Reiko wrote:Another problems with Rat is the lack of merchandising and tie-ins, aka peripheral advertising.

A part of the problem was that very few knew it was in theaters. No buzz was being made for it, thus no one cared.
Eh. I can't think of a Pixar movie since Toy Story 2 that really had a high level of tie-ins and peripheral advertising. And in terms of regular advertisement, you might have a point, depending on the market; I know I've seen my fare share of Ratatouille commercials before the movie came out, whereas with TF, for example, I've only really been bombarded with them since AFTER its release.

[/quote="Aya Reiko"]IMHO, they chose a bad date to release the film. Rat should've come out in the beginning of June or early April. Maybe even held off releasing it until November.[/quote]

Early Fall would have been best. Hype about Spider-Man, Pirates, TF, and Harry Potter meant that this movie - which really only got advertising in theaters maybe 3 or 4 months before it started - would never get the numbers it needed for a summer hit. It might have also worked well for the winter had the movie's setting matched.
- David Graña

My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:55 pm

And people don't know how to pronounce it. =P

But seriously, I think it does have to do with this being the summer of the threequels plus Harry Potter...And it's always competitive in the summertime...
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:56 am

Starscream wrote:
Aya Reiko wrote:Another problems with Rat is the lack of merchandising and tie-ins, aka peripheral advertising.

Eh. I can't think of a Pixar movie since Toy Story 2 that really had a high level of tie-ins and peripheral advertising. And in terms of regular advertisement, you might have a point, depending on the market; I know I've seen my fare share of Ratatouille commercials before the movie came out, whereas with TF, for example, I've only really been bombarded with them since AFTER its release.
Cars had merchandising deals up the ying yang. McDonald's Happy Meals, NASCAR, and plenty of junk you can still find at your local Wal-Mart.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:06 am

Aya Reiko wrote:
Cars had merchandising deals up the ying yang. McDonald's Happy Meals, NASCAR, and plenty of junk you can still find at your local Wal-Mart.
There may be plenty of merchandise made, but to be honest..I don't think many kids are buying it. Being a teacher, i've yet to see hardly any kids giving a damn about any of the cars merchandise out there. No backpacks, shoes, clothing, or toys seem to be in their interest. If anything, I saw far more Spiderman and Batman, and like...no Cars. It's like the merchandise is just sitting there.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:17 am

Aya Reiko wrote:
Starscream wrote:

Ah, but I'm neither a NASCAR fan nor do I have a local Wal-Mart, so I've been totally ignorant of these tie-ins :P
- David Graña

My Livejournal.

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:49 pm

At the Payless I work at, we have plenty of Cars shoes...and occasionally you still see some Nemo stuff.
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:27 pm

I brought into the cars hype cause my kid loves all forms of automobiles. Went out for christmas last year brought that fast talkin lightning Mcqueen thinking oh man hes going to love that and he was petrified of the darn thing. So toy tie ins are just another way to sucker poor parents into traumatizing kids IMO.

And the only thing ive seen so far besides the video game is some talking rat doll that cooks..I think i'll pass on that toy dont need to scare the kid again.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....