Makoto's Cooking Corner

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Makoto's Cooking Corner

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:22 pm

Hey everyone wanted to start a thread where members could share quick and easy reciepes for meals or snacks with one and other. I ran this idea by Tiff and she gave the okay for me to start this thread. The only thing I ask is to try to keep it actual food recipes (no doomsday concoctions lol) and if you can make it for food you enjoy or you and your family or close loved ones enjoy. I got inspired to make this thread not only by my favorite Sailor Jupiter, but today I made a fun easy reciepe and thought it might be fun to share on here.

Todays dinner and desert ala S.O.V.

Sweet and Sour chicken Kabobs and Fruit Kabobs

Sweet and Sour Chicken shish Kabobs:

Things you will need

1 pound of boneless chicken breasts
1 whole onion (cooks preference white red etc)
1 can of pinapples cut into chunks (or a real whole one if you want freshness, that you cut into square chunks)
1 package of grape tomatoes (optional for decoration)
1 green pepper, red pepper, yellow pepper (i use all three)
one bottle of kikoman sweet and sour sauce
lemon pepper seasoning
one cup water
a pack of wooden skewers (most grocery stores sell these cheap)
a basting brush

To start you want to season your chicken in lemon pepper seasoning, while optional I find it brings alot of flavor to the meat. Next you will need to cut the raw chicken, peppers, onions and pinapple (if not in chunk form) into square or chunky pieces. An easy and quick way to do this with and onion is to peel the skin in big chunks then break them to decent sized pieces to fit on the skewers without breaking.

After your done cutting up the meat and veggies you will want to work on the sauce, it does not take long, I use half a bottle of the sweet and sour sauce and a cup of water putting it into a small sauce pan. I use the water because I like it thin, because it is a glaze but some may want theirs thicker so the cup of water is also an optional item. Heat the sauce to boil then take off and let set somewhere till your kabobs are ready.

Now its time to work on the actual kabobs, you can design them any way you wish. I like to start with a tomato at the bottom, a piece of onion, the chicken a pinapple and some peppers and continue in that order ending with another tomato on top.

once your kabobs are complete get your grill, griddle or stove ready for stoves you want to heat till at least 375 degrees to make sure the meet is cooked fully. While the meat cooks especially on a grill or griddle take a brush and dip it into the sauce then every few minutes brush the kabob. Turn every few minutes and repeat process of brushing with glaze till the chicken is cooked entirely (it will go from pink to white) do not worry if the kabob looks abit signed some veggies and the pinapple will burn slightly especially on a grill.

In the oven check every few minutes using the skewers to turn and brush with glaze or you can simply pour the sauce over them and bake.

The whole process takes about 35-45 minutes if everything is readilly availible and makes a delicious healthy meal.

Fruit Kabobs:

For the fruit kabobs its simple take your favorite fruits today I used, apples, grapes, oranges, and bananas.

Cut each of your favorite fruits into chunks or slices and place on skewer like with the tomatoes I use the grapes at the end of each.

What my mom likes to do is make a light glaze of honey and coat the fruit with them but I keep mine plain.

Set kabobs in the fridge to cool (or for 10 minutes in the freezer) take out and enjoy.

Preparation for fruit kabobs can be done in under 10 mins if all ingrediants are ready available.

And with all cooking please make sure you use safe measures in cutting and preparing food. Hope you enjoy these two recipes hope to see other favorites and add some new things to my recipe box. Happy Eating ^_^
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:15 am

Looking at this thread reminds me that I should really learn to cook. ;__;
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:30 am

I have one recipe XD I barely remeber it thouh XD

Rainbow cake

What you need:
Angel Food Cake Tin
White cake mix
Food coloring
White icing

Step 1. Prepare the cake mix as needed. Then divide into 3 bowls
Step 2. Add one color of food coloring into each bowl. Stri
Step 3. Once color is in pour the mix in lasers into the Angel Food cake tin. Don't mix the colors.
Step 4. Back Accordingly
Step 5. Divide the icing into 3 bowls and add the food coloring
Step 6. Once cake is done cut it down the middle and stand it up into a arch. Ice the cake like a raibow ^^

Now you should have 2 yummy rainbowcakes ^^

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:52 pm

Today I showed my mom the forums I am so addicted to lol and the recipe thread and she suggested I put one of my families favorite recipes up here. This is a receipe my mom was taught to by our aunt Paloma from the Phillipines. I cannot spell the proper name for them lol so I call them homemade egg rolls since its basically what they are.

Homemade Egg Rolls-

The ingrediants needed for these are:

a pound of Chicken, preferably something
boneless and skinless that you can boil
Some bean sprouts (fresh or canned though fresh tastes better)
A can of string beans cut style (for this can actually taste better)
Some potatoes or pre made french fries
egg roll wraps (found in produce section of most grocery stores)
Seasonings we use Goya Adobo seasoning for this dish
also miss dash and some garlic salt
1 cup water
cooking oil

Utensils needed for this:

A medium cooking pot
A sauce pan or deep fryer large enough to make french fries
A clean flat surface to roll the egg rolls up on
A good carving knife (for the chicken)
A small cutting knife (for string beans)

Preperation:

Boil the chicken on medium high for 20 minutes, the meat will go from pink to white.

While boiling add adobo, miss dash and garlic salt to the water to season the meat.

Now if your using fresh potato, cut into french fry size pieces. Or if you have pre made french fries get your oil ready and place them into deep fryer or small cooking pan and fry until golden brown.

Set the chicken and cooked french fries to the side to cool and prepare your string beans. With these all you will have to do is cut them into small portions most beans can be cut three times. Once the chicken and potatoes are cooled begin to cut them up into
smaller portions preferably small cubes or chunks. The bean sprouts can be left as is.

Combine ingrediants into medium cooking pot add 1/2 to 1 cup water and season again with some more goya seasoning. Heat on high for 5 minutes mixing the ingrediants. You will know it is ready when the mixture blends and looks soft. Beansprouts that are fresh will become more limp so they are better for the recipe then canned ones that are already limp.

Set the mixture to the side to cool, now its time to prepare the wraps. Most egg roll wraps come in packages of 20, they are very thin so you must be careful handling them.

*Most packages of wrappers come with instructions on how to wrap the eggroll*

Lay eggroll wrap on flat surface, have a cup of water handy to dip your fingers in. Wet the corners of the wrap. When the mixture is cool enough (if its too hot it will tear the wrap) place a 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of the mixture into the wrap and fold. For mini eggrolls use only 1 tablespoon of the mixture and wrap tightly.

Make sure either way your wrap is sealed properly. Using water helps blend the dough together so that it closes. If any corners open or if small tears appear just use a little water to seal them. You do not want them to bust open while frying, so before your ready to fry them make sure to check your rolls for any openings.

Which takes us to the next part. Readying your deep fryer or pan again. If you made the fries you should already have heated oil availible if you turned it off you will need to wait till the oil is heated again. On a deep fryer 375 or 400 degrees is generally hot
enough for the next part of this receipe.

Once your eggrolls are ready, place in basket of fryer or directly into the heated oil and fry till golden brown. Let sit for 5 minutes then eat and enjoy.

There is also a sauce that my mother makes to go with this dish.
You take a cup of cider vinegar, some salt and pepper some goya (again lol) and a half cup water. Combine in a small bowl and mix with a teaspoon till blended. The pepper will probably float to the bottom either way. Now you can either dip your eggroll into the
sauce or open the top of the eggroll and spoon some of it inside. The tangy flavor of it compliments the other ingrediants.

Total cooking time 60 minutes maybe less once you get the hang of it. And the ingrediants make enough for 40 large eggrolls, 80+ mini egg rolls.

Slrjoecool
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Slrjoecool » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:12 am

Yay for this topic <3 I thought about starting one, but I never got around to it >_>;;;;;;

Anywho:

I love cooking. I would have posted sooner, but I just got my PC up and running. ^^;

I found this recipie on AllRecipies.com (My favorite recipie site)

Alfredo Sauce

Ingredients
1/4 cup butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (Optional)

Directions
1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat.
2. Add cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic and cheese and whisk quickly, heating through.
4. Stir in parsley and serve. Makes 4 servings.

I <3 this recipe. I will never again use the store (nasty) Alfredo sauce again.
~~ Married to my Tiffu on August 4th, 2007 ~~

Flesh may cross the portal,
and seek it’s master Death.
Life may go where Death has trod,
and challenge, like Scheherazade,
he who reigns beneath the sod,
to spare a mortal’s breath.

My Journal: Hope
Web Gallery of Michael’s Pictures

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:13 pm

Todays dish is inspired by sunday dinner

Tonight we had Nana's rib special and sides but the recipe is for the ribs.

What you will need

A slab (or two depending on how many your feeding) of babyback ribs (pork or beef is fine)

some seasoning- we use the normal salt, pepper, goya, and garlic powder

For the special barbque sauce

a can of crushed pinapple
a bottle of molasses
a bottle of sweet baby rays barbque sauce or a spicy sweet flavored bbq sauce (hunts thick and spicy is a good national substitute)

What you need to do to prepare the sauce

Take the can of pinapples and drain the juice into a bowl, it is important that you keep the juice for the recipe. Next you will need to combine the juice a half cup of bbq sauce, 1/4 cup of the crushed pinapple (you dont need to use all of them they are more for look) and 3 tablespoons of molasses. Mix till well blended then set to the side.

Next you'll need to prepare your meat, for that clean the slab properly with some water. You can also soak the meat in some vinegar so that it becomes tender. Season the meat to your own tastes then prepare for either the oven or grill.

We used the oven so what we did was bake the ribs at 375 for about 20 mins then we poured the sauce over them and baked again for an hour. On the grill it should take less time and you can base with the sauce.

All together the sauce was enough for two slabs of baby back ribs with thensome left over its a good recipe for parties and barbques.

The sides we served with it were sweet potatoes, cut greenbeans and corn bread with the optional potato salad.

StarFlame Soldier
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by StarFlame Soldier » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:22 am

Woo, I found the thread! So what I cooked the other night was actually a doomsday concoction ( :twisted: mwawhaha). This was presented in the form of a surprisingly delightful eggplant parmagiana.

Ingredients:
Eggplant, sliced into 2cm.
1 small Onion, diced
Tomato paste
Tin of diced tomatoes
Garlic, minced/diced
Thyme*
Breadcrumbs
2 Eggs
Plain Flour
Oil
Cheese

*can be any herb of your choice.

The sauce can be made ahead, and is possibly better if you let it sit and meld flavours. Fry the onion and garlic on low heat in a pot until soft and add tomato paste until it is bubbling slightly, then add the tomatoes. When that is simmering, add the thyme and simmer for another 5-10 min.

The eggplant needs to be salted and left to sir for about 15 min (the longer you leave it, the better it is- I actually was forced to leave it for a few days). Rinse thoroughly and pat dry with paper towel. Coat it in a little flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs, then egg and breadcrumbs again. lightly fry on both sides until eggplant is cooked and crumbing is crispy.

Place the eggplant into an oven tray, top with tomato sauce and cheese and cook in a ~180 degree C oven until cheese is brown. It looks and tastes awesome with leafy greens on the side, like baby spinach. Apparently to be parmigiana it needs a bed of chips (that's what HE said) but I say enjoy it because I went to all the trouble of cooking it...

This is really quite easy to do, considering I accomplished it in my 4X5m house (yes, not room- house).

Enjoy! (Hope this makes sense :) )
Two wrongs don''t make a right, but three lefts do.

In Space, no-one can hear you scream. In Time, nobody listens

Smile for Saz!

sleep, Celeste

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:30 am

LOL noo doomsday..hehe that reciepe sounds yum Im going to have to try it myself. And ooh holidays are coming up so soon i'll be posting my favorite pie and cookie reciepes. I wish I could remember the hard candy reciepe I used to have I made it back when I lived in Ny for school and it came out pretty good it would go good for Halloween..sigh ahh well i'll stick to the stuff I can remember for now ^_^