2008 Elections

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Umino
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Umino » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:24 pm

Tiff wrote:I, frankly, don't understand why we have to keep focusing on his race. He's a man who became president.
But the fact he is a black man is so inspirational. Growing up I never imagined anyone who wasn't an old white man could be president. By becoming president, Obama proved to us it doesn't matter what your race is. He showed us even a Black man can become president.

And I don't understand why you're getting upset over anyone focusing on somebody's race. You act like you never went and focused on someone's race. You seem to be pretty fond of talking about how blacks are "hypocritical".

EDIT: I didn't see your last post, but oh well. I stand by what I say.

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:47 pm

I have to agree mostly with Senshi_of_Vision on this one. Those of us who are not black could never really understand what kind of treatment they have (or do) live with. I can understand how the black community would feel like they've gained a huge victory here, however I also have to point out the unfortunately sad fact that most people who voted in this election did in fact vote either for or against him based on the color of his skin alone. It seems to me like very few people who voted this time at all voted based on his merits. I count myself amongst those who are willing to give him a chance.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:12 pm

jupiter23 wrote:I have to agree mostly with Senshi_of_Vision on this one. Those of us who are not black could never really understand what kind of treatment they have (or do) live with.
Do not ever presume to tell me what I can and cannot relate to. No, I wasn't a slave. But you know what? Neither was any other black person my age or fifty years older.

I understand racism. I've experienced it, a lot of it, and being white does NOT make me exempt from that. And I'm fucking tired of being told that this somehow isn't possible, simply becuase I'm not black.

And for the record? I'm half Mexican. So I'm not as white bread as people think I am.

I have lived in a neighborhood and spent my first year of high school in one of the most racist and violent situations I have ever experienced. I have been threatened with violence for being white.

And then? I spent the first two years of teaching in two very racist situations. I was hated by parents for being white, despite doing my very best to teach their children, not caring a bit about what color they were. I was told, by an african-american parent, that she "didn't want that white lady teaching her kid." It drove me to tears and caused me to turn down a job I really wanted. I was told by fellow black co-workers that the reason I wanted to expel a violent student (the same student you all were appalled about) was becuase she was black, and becuae "that white lady just don't like black kids", DESPITE the fact that I spent two years in an all-black school and loved my kids. I loved my kids so much that I still miss them.

Don't tell me I don't understand. Don't presume you know a damn thing about my life without asking first.

I understand the need for a good role model. I absolutely do. What I don't understand is why the color of a role model has to match the color of those admiring him/her. Why does a black child have to have a black role model? Why does a white child have to have a white role model? And if that must be the case, where are the other black role models that we've spent years teaching about in schools? Dr. King?

In my personal opinion, the continuance of singling out race and people BECAUSE of their race is an addition to racism, not a progression from it, whether it's in a positive state or negative. If people no longer want to be seperated by color, then they need to stop seperating THEMSELVES by it. People are people. Obama, to me, is a man. Not a black man. A man. And it saddens me that the rest of the world can't see it the same way.

I have nothing against the man, or giving him a chance. It's the media and the people who only see the color that piss me off.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:44 pm

Alright, everyone, I think I'm going to step in here and nip this thing in the bud before it gets even more out of hand. There's been an inappropriate level of ad hominem attacks here today, and we don't need to resort to even more harsh words against each other. The thread is locked permanently, and I am going to informally warn those of you who started getting a bit more personal with your comments - I'm not going to name names, you know who you are.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back