Tarot Cards

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Tarot Cards

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Thu May 17, 2007 12:11 pm

I was wondering if anyone ever uses these things or gets other people to do readings.

Personally me and a friend of mine have taken unique approaches to this.

I have a set of Clow Cards (from cardcaptor sakura) that I sometimes use to get advice from, and my friend has used both magic: the gathering cards and Yu Gi Oh cards to do readings on himself.

I know that sounds a bit odd but the results have at times been stunningly accurate.

Does anyone on here do anything like this?
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu May 17, 2007 12:20 pm

I personally don't do them, but I have a friend who does. Occasionally, I let her do little readings for me, just for fun. I dont' necessarily believe in it...considering the fact that I don't believe in fate or anything, and therefore, also don't believe that a deck of cards will determine any part of my life XD; But I do know a lot of people take it very seriously.

Though I gotta say, I figured you'd have to use a real tarot set, and not clow cards or Magic: The Gathering cards o__O;

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Thu May 17, 2007 4:25 pm

I have a couple of tarot decks that I've played around with. My grandma read the tarot cards when she was younger but stopped after, when reading the cards for her sister, she had a vision of her sister's fiance being wounded by a Japanese soldier (which they later found out had occurred that very day).

I'm not sure if I believe in them anymore, but Tiff - supposedly, the cards do not determine one's "fate," but give an indication of the direction your life is going. The purpose of a tarot reading is more often than not for purposes of self-revelation, and anything revealed is certainly not set in stone.

Believe it or not, there is a CardCaptor Sakura set of tarot cards, as well as a beautiful French doujinshi Utena tarot deck (although with only the major arcana). Here are a few images from that set:

The Hanged Man
Death
The Judgement
The World

Using Yu-Gi-Oh or Magic cards sounds kind of strange... but whatever works for you, I guess. The strength in using the tarot is that the cards have their origins in antiquity and each card has esoteric meanings. While using trading cards is a perfectly fine method of divination if it works for you, it's inaccurate to compare that to the tarot.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu May 17, 2007 5:57 pm

Jeff wrote: I'm not sure if I believe in them anymore, but Tiff - supposedly, the cards do not determine one's "fate," but give an indication of the direction your life is going. The purpose of a tarot reading is more often than not for purposes of self-revelation, and anything revealed is certainly not set in stone.
Well, that's certainly new information to me. Interesting. Thanks for clearing that up.

Believe it or not, there is a CardCaptor Sakura set of tarot cards, as well as a beautiful French doujinshi Utena tarot deck (although with only the major arcana). Here are a few images from that set:
No, I know there is an Utena tarot set and such. My point is that it sounded like she was using the actual clow cards, and not a TAROT set. The clow cards are simply cards with the different card-god-thingies from the cardcaptor sakura show. Using clow cards, and not a TAROT set, sounded as weird to me as using the yu-gi-oh cards.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Thu May 17, 2007 8:57 pm

I have a Tarot deck, and at one point I had most of the card's meanings memorized. I don't remember them now because I haven't done a reading in sooo long. But they're pretty interesting. I even did a report on the history of Tarot once (I don't remember much of that either).

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Thu May 17, 2007 9:02 pm

I want ;_; I really do. Thn I could cosplay as that one dude from Kalideo Star ;_;

I've tried to use my Yu-gi-oh cards but I always get [email protected][email protected]

Kohdok
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Kohdok » Thu May 17, 2007 9:55 pm

Using Yu-Gi-Oh cards to perform tarot readings? How would that end up?

"You will fall down a long hole where there is a giant white dragon wielding an axe at the bottom..." And so on.

I have a deck of tarot cards, myself. I often play solitaire with the minor arcana.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Thu May 17, 2007 10:26 pm

Reading the cards have been something passed down in my family for years. I and my sister do most of the readings now. My family has always been superstitious in nature and believe in the supernatural. And while we mostly do readings for fun I do try to heed when the cards are steering towards paths that could be detremental to myself or those I love. There is no clear future every path is open to many roads, I believe the cards can help guide you to paths that will help you and warn you of ones that can hinder or harm you. But thats just my belief.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Fri May 18, 2007 11:11 am

Tiff wrote:I personally don't do them, but I have a friend who does. Occasionally, I let her do little readings for me, just for fun. I dont' necessarily believe in it...considering the fact that I don't believe in fate or anything, and therefore, also don't believe that a deck of cards will determine any part of my life XD; But I do know a lot of people take it very seriously.

Though I gotta say, I figured you'd have to use a real tarot set, and not clow cards or Magic: The Gathering cards o__O;
The reason I use the clow deck is because its design was based on the tarot somewhat. as for my friend using magic cards. Hes just a bit bizarre that way :)

Since the tarot deck was orignally created as an expansion to the poker deck I dont see it being anymore mystal then something modern. Personally I believe the mystic nature comes more from the random draw element then what the cards actually are.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain