The Bratz craze..bleh

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:41 pm

MSNBC.com has an article up about the Bratz dolls: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20112731/from/RS.3/

My favorite quote has to be
"The baby looked just like a blowup sex doll in a bikini," says Lamb, co-author of "Packaging Girlhood: Rescuing Our Daughters From Marketers' Schemes."
because that's exactly what they do look like. I love how the supporters of Bratz dolls only defense for them is that they think their cool. And like others have said in this thread, if all the kids really care about is just the fashion and dressing dolls up, there are other more wholesome dolls like Barbie that offer the same thing. And this quote just makes me vomit
What critics don't understand, Arad says, is the stylistic reasons behind the doll's design. "A big head allows more hair play," he says. "The lips are for styling." As for the film, he says the aim was to create a truly multiethnic group of characters who learn to value friendship over the need for social acceptance.
The girls value friendship over social acceptance? Give me a break. That's not what the trailer or the character profiles suggest. :roll: And this just makes me sick
"I see kids today folding down their skirts because it's fashionable to have a little belly," he says. "It doesn't make them bad girls. It doesn't reflect their beliefs." (And he points out that the costume designer, Bernadene Morgan, is a grandmother.)

I think they're missing the point. It might not make them bad girls to fold their skirts down, but it certainly makes them pedophile fodder. And just because the costume designer is a grandmother doesn't mean that they're perfect. Grandmothers can make mistakes too, I hope they know.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:08 pm

Exactly CardCaptor Takato, the guy defending them dont seem to understand that the influence it does to these girls makes them think its okay to show flesh at ages most shouldnt. It misleads them into thinking its okay to be fast and worry about things like fashion and makeup over being a well rounded human being. Ive been watching the trailers for the movie cause ya pretty much cannot avoid it. You would think instead of a talent competition they would try to make themselves look somewhat decent and do a Quiz bowl or something that shows you can be intelligent. But no way to that, how can you be fashionable if your smart? </sarcasm>

And the whole the designer is a grandmother does nothing to sway my opinion anyway. In a world where more and more supposed role models and parental figures are caving in and trying more to be friends with the kids they are responsible for. And while as a person who knows buisness i will give that its a great market scheme, it still leads young girls down a wrong path and I would never support any of the merchandise.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:46 am

Looking at the Costume Designer's page, I can't help but notice that she hasn't designed for that many movies. Most likely a case of "beggers can't be choosers".
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Aya Reiko
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Aya Reiko » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:44 am

Friday estimate for Bratz: $1.7 mil (Ninth Place)

Thank God for small favors.
You seem like the kind of person who'll lie.
However... this sword doesn't lie.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:04 am

A very accurate review of the Diamondz movie

You know your movie's in trouble when the main characters can't figure out that a waitress is a friend from the last two movies.

BTW: That Byron figure sure gets around. In Rock Angelz, he was a record producer (and a very very subtle satire on somebody I don't know anything about). In Genie Magic, he's a government agent. And in this one, he's a TV host for some really stupid reality show. And no, I am not the saddest person alive (that would require me admitting to enjoying those movies. In actuality, all four of the movies scared the shit out of me).
Last edited by Jusenkyo no Pikachu on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

If you're reading this, then you've lost the game.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:19 pm

What's up with that screencap with the girl and the axe? :shock:
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:56 am

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:What's up with that screencap with the girl and the axe? :shock:
If you read the review, you'd have probably realized that the screencaps are pretty much taken from random points in the movie. That screencap comes from the scene where Kirstee and Kaycee decide to bar their number one designer in the dunny.
"That new girl? She seems kinda weird to me. And what kind of name is Buffy anyway?"
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Parallax » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:53 am

Those bratz dolls are as repusive as Kryptonite to me. :evil: :x
"Oh yeah. Someone is definitely tired of breathing." ("The Main Man", Part 1)

I'm writing this Sailor Moon/Green Lantern crossover AU fic called "Emerald Sunrise". It's a hybrid of Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, and Comedy. It's about Ami (Sailor Mercury) getting a new boyfriend who just happens to be a member of The Green Lantern Corps. I'm also throwing in some other characters from other animes and some old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the late '60's early '70's. I'm also illustrating it as well. :oops: Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

"Dead Man Walking!!!!!!!"

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Hobbes » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:16 am

They irritate the hell out of me. They have cars and boys and make-up and things that the kids that want them shouldn't be interested in. Not to mention that they're some of the sluttiest dolls I've ever seen. My cousin has one of the movies and I almost wished I could throw it out of the window for her, and my, sakes.
I AM YOUR LOVE-LOVE GODDESS B[BLEEP]ES!
-Aino Minako from Suburban Senshi

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Uh, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
-Michael Scott, The Office

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:57 am

Ugh now im seeing commercials for new games one that looks like it uses the 3d animation to copy the movie, and another that lets the little girl be a Brat...great just more useless junk promoting bad images for little girls. And even better its for consoles like the Ds and Wii so pervs of the world can go and pick up the unsuspecting (or sometimes suspecting) 10-14 year old. Ugh it just seems like a Pedophiles paradise along with that whole B Bratz online world.

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:17 pm

I shall join the club of 'I HATE BRATZ!' My best friend's younger sister bought one of the dolls and I was like oh crap that better be the only doll she'll get. I was WRONG, she bought more dolls and she even got the Bratz Spa for Christmas but then after a while she stopped buying them. I agree that although Barbie dressed a little inappropriate at times, she still had careers. I remember when I was younger I got the Barbie teacher doll with the chalkboard and little Kelly as a student. It was awesome.

I had the Sailor Moon dolls when they came out too, and now that I think about it the dolls were pretty crappy back then but compared to Bratz dolls I'd rather get a bunch of SM dolls than Bratz ANY old day. I tried watching the animated series but that had to be the worst animation I had EVER seen. The animation doesn't even look complete and it also looks like the characters are going to fall on their heads any minute.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

Princess Latona
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Princess Latona » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:08 am

I despise the Bratz dolls as well, if only because they look absolutely hideous. Seriously, give me a Barbie anyday over those dolls.

And I find this quite interesting as well.

Mattel wins first Bratz battle

I doubt this means the beginning of the end for Bratz dolls, but it's still quite interesting.
What is life? What if all it is is God playing a game of The Sims? Or even his own version of Final Fantasy? ~Me

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:32 am

Id like to think hopefully its a sign that people are waking up about what the dolls promote. Ive nothing against people who have it better then others if your lucky to be born into that kinda lifestyle more power to you. But to teach young impressionable girls that fashion, boys, makeup and cars are more important then good health, education and caring for others then I have a big problem.

To me the Bratz dolls remind me of all the 15 min of fame girls you see out there willing to dress and act any outrageous way they can because they like that kind of attention and think it makes them important. But unlike those shows where they get their fame they arent really marketed towards kids like these dolls are. I wouldnt hate the brats if they didnt speak in volumes on how little girls now adays are considered to grow into.

It used to be dolls had purposes be it to be babied by girls or to
foster imagination. Even though Barbie suffered from perfect image syndrome at least they gave her careers, now adays dolls and toys seemed geared towards lower standards and that bugs me.

</soapbox>

Jamesares
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by Jamesares » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:41 am

I just noticed that Soliel Moon Frye did the voice of Jade and it sadden me great. My innocent memorys of Punky Brewster are forever tainted :cry:
There Shall Come One After Me
And From Death’s Icy Grip
She Shall Bring Light Upon The World Once More
And Placed Upon A Crystal Throne
Her Light Shall Shine Forever More
-Rise of Crystal Tokyo 1st Prophecy

“Oh, yes, I can just see it now. I’ll tell the others how I tried to talk you out of this like a reasonable, responsible friend, and you threw a Deep Submerge at me.”
-Rei to Michiru, Long Way Down by RadiantBeam

"I rather laugh with the Sinners than cry with the Saints, the Sinners are much more fun."
-Bill Joel, Only The Good Die Young

Words of Advice:
1. Always remember you are normal, it everyone else that "weird".
2. Remember Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
3. Jack may be nimble and Jack may be quick, but he still burned his a** on the candlestick.

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:13 pm

Princess Latona wrote:I despise the Bratz dolls as well, if only because they look absolutely hideous. Seriously, give me a Barbie anyday over those dolls.

And I find this quite interesting as well.

Mattel wins first Bratz battle

I doubt this means the beginning of the end for Bratz dolls, but it's still quite interesting.
BUT, it could very well mean that Mattel will win the rights to Bratz. Which either means, they discontinue them, or totally change them to be less skanky. After all, Barbie came with tasteful clothes and jobs!
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:28 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote: BUT, it could very well mean that Mattel will win the rights to Bratz. Which either means, they discontinue them, or totally change them to be less skanky. After all, Barbie came with tasteful clothes and jobs!
If I owned Mattel I would discontinue Bratz from the face of the earth. Does anyone remember Diva Starz? They were also bigheaded and had extremely tiny bodies and cared a lot about fashion. They also talked.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!

wink568
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by wink568 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:28 am

I've been wanting to say some stuff the whole time I've been reading.

Does anybody watch The Soup with Joel Mchale? In an episode a little while back, he showed a clip from the Bratz babies show. The babies were at the mall, I don't know why, but they were trying to sneak past a security guard, so one of the BABIES winked and blew him a kiss to distract him so the others could sneak past. Disturbing.

BTW, I tried to see if I could find the clip on youtube, to show what I was talking about, but I found this one instead and it made me happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofRF5vpFpl0

Stuff like Bratz is making kids grow up to fast. Parents don't help. What responsible parent would let their 8 year old girls wear those pants with words on the butts, or let them put a fake tattoo on their lower back. I've heard plenty about both of those things
I remember playing with Baywatch Barbie when I was little. Not as bad as it sounds, at least her bathing suit was a one piece, and I only got her because she came with a dolphin. :) When I wasn't making dramatic scenes with my barbies, I was playing with my Jurassic Park toys. I loved Jurassic Park, and dinosaurs.

I heard a performer say that if we were left alone in a room with all our old toys, we'd still play with them, even at the age of 24. I have to agree with that. If somebody left me alone with my dinosaurs, I would totally play with them. :)

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jusenkyo no Pikachu » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:57 am

Jamesares wrote:
I just noticed that Soliel Moon Frye did the voice of Jade and it sadden me great. My innocent memorys of Punky Brewster are forever tainted :cry:
It gets worse. Lacey Chabert voices Kaycee, while Tia Mowry basically goes through the motions in her umpteenth crappy kids show appearance (although we are spared from hearing the voice of Tamera).
"Hey, Aphrodisia!"
--unaired Buffy pilot

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:10 am

wink568 wrote: I remember playing with Baywatch Barbie when I was little. Not as bad as it sounds, at least her bathing suit was a one piece, and I only got her because she came with a dolphin. :)
The same reason I got a Baywatch Barbie-because she came with the dolphin. I didn't find out about Baywatch until years later and then found out Pamela Anderson was in it. :shock:

EDIT: 12/4/2008
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081204/bs_ ... ttel_bratz
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
Everybody say YATTA!!!
DeviantART
My Blog
LJ!!!