Massacre on Virginia Tech Campus

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:01 am

It's amazing that something surpassed Columbine as the worst school shooting...I suppose it had to happen one day, but I didn't think it would be this soon.
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Skull13
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Columbine, University, and now, Virginia. This is crazy!!!!

Post by Skull13 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:00 am

Dang, this is the third killing done in a school. R.I.P. to the victims deceased.
Split Personality
Bring Hope To Humanity!!!

yoshmaster5
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337
Location: Richland/Kalamazoo, MI, or Central Michigan University

Post by yoshmaster5 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:53 pm

Ugh... this is just horrible.... just... *shudder*

They've found out who the gunman was... 33 dead total to his trigger, including himself.

A 23-year-old senior at Virginia Tech, a South Korean decendant... that's what they said on NPR, I can't remember the name...
They think it might have to deal with a number of emotional issues... like obsessing with another student, but...

We won't know what caused this for a while... I don't know what exactly to do to help, though...
-Adam Picard-
Blake? oh, like a coffee break!!
Poet? What is that? Is it tasty? Is it a popular new snack? Usagi, Stars 179

James: For some reason I'm seeing you in a nurse's uniform...
Steve: Thank you Jeff, that will be all. ... He's not here, is he? Oh God I've internalized him...
-Coupling; The Freckle, the Key, and the Couple who weren't

'Who will tell us about this? Oh, no it is didnt know New Orleans was underwater guy.'
-Jon Stewart, The Daily Show

"Plus, Act now and you'll get the Mood of Dick Cheney! Including Rage, *RANH* Irritability, *RANH* and Mind-Blowing Orgasmic pleasure! *RAAAAANH* Order now!"
-The Daily Show, 8-22-06

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:48 pm

I was just reading how it says the gun man showed signs from his writting (he was an english major) into his dark psyche. I know that its not the schools job to hold a persons hand threw stuff like this. But maybe now they will look at things like this more closely. People who write dark things arent always proned to violence but it does tend to set a precedence for severe mental problems.

I remember back when I was struggling with my own issues. I wrote alot of dark poetry and obessed with death in my writtings. I ended up getting help for it though. I hope that this incident prompts schools of all types to seek immediate help for those that show signs of trouble like this. And if the students refuse try to find people close to them that can help them get the help they need.

Though from what I continue to read this guy was a very withdrawn and closed in person and really kept to himself in the extremes. But from what im reading it sounds like he had more then just depression. Sometimes a mental illness will not manifest itself until its too late to do something about it and thats the scariest thing about this. And then sometimes people give cries for help and they go ignored or written off as angst. I seen someone mention columbine and I couldnt help think about that.

All I hope for is that more schools take to heart now when signs like this show up. And that they use proper channels to not shun the person involve but get them the help they need.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:43 pm

The shooter: Cho Seung-hui

I can't believe the school sent fucking E-MAILS as warnings! What the fuck were they thinking?
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:28 pm

SeiUsa wrote:The shooter: Cho Seung-hui

I can't believe the school sent fucking E-MAILS as warnings! What the fuck were they thinking?
Seriously. At my school, our security guards have walky talkies, and they can tell eachother things from miles away. Why the hell wasn't anyone actually CONTACTED?! Sometimes email isn't touched for hours!

The people responsible ought to hang their heads in shame.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:01 pm

Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Gamer8585
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Gamer8585 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:11 pm

Registration required.

Can you copy and paste the text?
The power of love conquers all...except a nuclear hypocenter.

Guess the "Quote of the moment:"
OF COURSE I"M MAD! YOU SHOT ME IN THE ASS! ---???

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:32 pm

I'm not going to say I'm shocked, because I'm not. I'm not going to say that I'm at a loss for words, because I had plenty to shout at the news reports. All I am going to say is a prayer, and then I'm going to do the right thing and keep my mouth shut for a few days.
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Kohdok
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Kohdok » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:30 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:The things that make me most afraid is A. people with mental illnesses will once again be looked at as lepers because of truly sick individuals like this who probably didnt get enough help or didnt bother trying. And it can be hard at times there are resources out their for people who are emotionally disturbed but without support from close family or friends they will not go and get it thus resulting in situations like this.
You can thank the Reagan Administration for that... His administration closed a lot of the mental help facilities, instead putting those people back on the streets. It's one of the reasons why it's a rising problem.

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:45 pm

more about the shooter:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070417/ap_ ... h_shooting

apperently, he was a total nut case. i'm surprised they didn't do more about him earlier. if teachers were worrired, shouldn't they have done something?

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:59 pm

Kohdok wrote: You can thank the Reagan Administration for that... His administration closed a lot of the mental help facilities, instead putting those people back on the streets. It's one of the reasons why it's a rising problem.

There are more and more states opening up facilities not ones to house those with mental illnesses (which I do believe we need more of) but those that do provide counceling for those with emotional issues and mental illnesses. And I remember unfortunately when they started stopping the funding for these places back in the day it was awful specially living in Ny. So many times you couldnt ride the bus because of fear of being attacked by someone who should have been in a mental health facility. Now many are just arrested and that makes it worst but it is slowly getting better.

I myself belong to Nami for my own illness and go to a mental health center in my small town. But it took the encouragement of close family and friends for me to see that my sickness was going to lead me down the wrong path without help. I honestly hope that people who know friends or even acquaintances that seem to have issues like this can try to get them to open up or do not be afraid to go to someone and let them know "hey such and such is writing dark stuff and just seems off." Sometimes a cry for help can be so soft that no one hears it till its too late.

I had to stop watching the news earlier today because I just couldnt stop crying. The loss of life is so overwhelming. I cannot imagine living threw something like that or losing someone to something so senseless. And the story that choked me up the most was that of Proffessor Liviu Librescu He survived one of the most tragic events in history only to die in another one. It amazes me how ironic life can be at times. Just like before as a Halocaust survior. Mr Librescu is a true hero in my eyes and it saddens me that his life was snuffed out the way it was, but he went out saving others and if that doesnt earn him a place in heaven I dont know what will.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:02 pm

the*blue*girl wrote:more about the shooter:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070417/ap_ ... h_shooting

apperently, he was a total nut case. i'm surprised they didn't do more about him earlier. if teachers were worrired, shouldn't they have done something?
But you know what, to be honest? Violent creative writing isn't necessarily a "warning sign". Look at Stephen King. Dean Koontz. They write some pretty horrifying things...and neither one is what i'd label "unstable" or apt to start blowing people away.

I mean honestly...some of the stuff I write during RP is...well, pretty graphic and bad. I"ve written some HEINOUSLY violent and disturbing things...but never would I burst into a school and shoot people up.

I guess I'm playing devil's advocate here in saying...you really NEVER can tell who is capable of this sort of thing. "warning signs" are really just ways to put a label or a "character type" on these murderers, as though there's some kind of mold that we can start examining and using to get these people put away before they go on their shooting spree.

There isn't a mold. Unstable is unstable, whether it's the person who was "oh, so quiet and the honor student" or the person who "wrote horrible stories" or the person who "wore black and listened to marilyn manson all the time." It isn't what a person writes, looks like, or even behaves like on an occasion..it's what's inside them, and that's what makes this so difficult. We can't see what's in there, and it ticks like a time bomb ready to go off any second.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Jonathan
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Jonathan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:50 pm

This is so terrible...I still cant believe SO many people were killed. But what gets to me the most is those people were there to get an education. They were bettering themselves, trying to make their path and their future...and for what? To get killed for it? Thats so incredibly fucked up beyond comprehension.

Also, one of the professors was apparently a Holocaust survivor. He's gonna survive one of the worst things in the world's history, but then some demented kid is gonna end his life. It's terrible.

My prayers go out to the victims and their families. God rest their souls.
JonJon aka Jo-Nathan!!

"And my mother, out of necessity, was a whore."
-Gayle, Role Models

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:55 pm

But the thing is it wasnt just his writting that was a red flag either. I understand there are shy people out there but even shy people have some friends or someone they consider close. This guy took loner to the extreme and became delusional obsessing over another female. Now im not saying all Loners should be singled out some people are just introverted but when you add up all the combinating factors plus the instances where he blantantly wrote about how the other students sickened him because of their debauchery that just says to me that something needs to be done to help people like this before more instances like this happens.

To me to say they are ticking timebombs makes it seem as if we should wash our hands of people who could get help and deal with their issues. I am not saying this would have helped Mr. Cho there are plenty of disturbed people out there that get to the point where they are beyond help. But I honestly do not believe that anyone that has violent tendancies should be chalked up to someone that will eventually do something like this.

I truly feel that the majority of people who have issues like this, only need someone to care for them and help them to keep these incidents isolated. I think the more people try to understand emotional problems and mental issues the chances of catching individuals like this before it gets this far will increase.

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:10 pm

What's more creepy (to me) when I looked at the picture of him, he nearly resembles me, down to the glasses, though mine are a bit larger, and I'm Filipino.

My dad even joked on this, but I told him, "That's not even funny".
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:17 pm

*shrugs* I'm just making the point that you can't generalize everybody who might show these characteristics, whether it's one or a few. An example is after Columbine, schools freaked out and started banning trenchcoats. You can't take one thing and pinpoint it as being a murderous characteristic. I'm not saying this guy wasn't obviously unstable, because he was, but you also can't blame the teachers for "ignoring warning signs", ESPECIALLY when it's a VERY touchy and sensitive issue for teachers to point out stuff like that. We have to follow certain rules, too.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:42 pm

Thats very understandable and I feel for teachers in general because alot of times their hands are tied. Even noticing stuff like this its hard for some to explain to parents that their child may have severe issues. I know personally that if someone said that about my kid my first reaction would be getting upset and im honest enough to admit as much. Its just truly sad that there cant be some form of system set up to help these individuals. This whole tradegy just leaves a sour taste in my mouth but its not the first time and sadly it probably wont be the last. My faith in humanity died in 2001 and seeing it revived doesnt seem likely soon.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:59 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:Thats very understandable and I feel for teachers in general because alot of times their hands are tied. Even noticing stuff like this its hard for some to explain to parents that their child may have severe issues. I know personally that if someone said that about my kid my first reaction would be getting upset and im honest enough to admit as much. Its just truly sad that there cant be some form of system set up to help these individuals.
*Nods* Exactly.

And it is sad that some people never get help for their instability...but then again, it seems nowadays some of it is almost incurable.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Gamer8585
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Gamer8585 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:23 pm

Tiff wrote:
Senshi_of_Vision wrote:Thats very understandable and I feel for teachers in general because alot of times their hands are tied. Even noticing stuff like this its hard for some to explain to parents that their child may have severe issues. I know personally that if someone said that about my kid my first reaction would be getting upset and im honest enough to admit as much. Its just truly sad that there cant be some form of system set up to help these individuals.
*Nods* Exactly.

And it is sad that some people never get help for their instability...but then again, it seems nowadays some of it is almost incurable.
Unfortunatly, in this case the guy was in college, so there is little the school can force him to do until he commits a crime. Also, they can't talk to the parents due to privacy issues. I heard that one of his English teachers reported his writings to the administration, but their hands were pretty much tied.

Its really a catch 22. If they were to enact measures that would force people to go to counseling for what they write or their lifestyle, people would stop coming to the university, but if they don't then tragedies like this will keep happening.

Hell, its hard enough to do that in public school. If kids start getting sent to the school shrink for being different, they may be ostracized and alienated by their peers, it may even lead to lawsuits by parents.
The power of love conquers all...except a nuclear hypocenter.

Guess the "Quote of the moment:"
OF COURSE I"M MAD! YOU SHOT ME IN THE ASS! ---???