Massacre on Virginia Tech Campus

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:53 pm

Gamer8585 wrote:
I understand why they detained the second kid (he did look dangerous), but why did they have to take his (spent)ammo-belt after they determined it wasn't a threat? I'm no expert, but I don't think you can get refills for those things.

It was a benign fashion accessory, and like I said, I wouldn't be surprised if he wore it everyday for months without incident.
I never said I understood them taking it away from him, I just understood their small bit of fear/need to do something. But I agree they shoul dhave given him his belt back.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:55 am

I thought taking a few days to think about things would calm me down about this issue, but apparently not. The media has only served to make me more insane about the whole ordeal.

I've seen so much blame thrown around these last few days, but where the hell is the blame for Cho? A video game did not shoot 32 people. A violent screen play did not shoot 32 people. The ill tempered neighbor's dog from 15 years ago who may or may not have looked at Cho funny during an emotional time in his life did not shoot 32 people. Cho did. The media seems adamant in not blaming the crime on the criminal.

What's worse is that political ass leeches all over the country are using this event as a support for their views. Gun control advocates call for less guns, gun control opponents call for more guns, and everybody in between is latching onto this like it is God's gift to their cause. It is nothing more than sick, self-indulgent pandering. Using the innocent dead as propaganda only shows what these rats are really made of. It needs to stop, but it probably never will.

Tiff wrote:People will ALWAYS find a way to gain control of a weapon, whether it's guns or something else.
Exactly. If somebody is crazy and wants to kill a bunch of people, they will find a way to do it, laws be dammed. They aren't going to suddenly have a change of heart just because they, gee golly whiz, can't pass a background check for a firearm.

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:And its begun
It's the OMG!Terrorist syndrome all over again. I would say I am surprised, but... well, no.

Gamer8585 wrote:I understand why they detained the second kid (he did look dangerous), but why did they have to take his (spent)ammo-belt after they determined it wasn't a threat? I'm no expert, but I don't think you can get refills for those things.
Actually, if the shell is undamaged, you can refill it if you have the proper (perfectly legal) equipment. Shells on an ammo belt that is being used as a fashion accessory would probably be unusable in any case, though. Regardless, it would have been fully legal for him to own that belt even if it was stocked with live ammunition (as long as it isn't an illegal type of ammo, which is unlikely), and he should have gotten it back.

[I'm surprised I didn't use any more profanity than I did... NGH needs to keep her nose out of things that make her angry like this.]
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:57 pm

I officially hate it when anyone uses a tragedy like this to push their own agendas, especially when it comes to petty little spats of jealousy: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18274805/
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:11 pm

Im sort of torn on that article, I can understand the sgt's destress it is awful that so many fall overseas and that it has become pretty common place to hear it. I just dont think he realizes that if we lowered the flag everytime a service memeber died over in Afganistan or Iraq right now the flags would not be raised again for a long time. I can understand his feeling slighted for his lost commrades but I think he was complaining out of legitimate hurt not malice it has to be a blow to see such world wide coverage of such a tragic event and people reacting so shocked to it when many lives are lost on a daily basis in the war and it seems that alot do not even blink at it anymore.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:32 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:I just dont think he realizes that if we lowered the flag everytime a service memeber died over in Afganistan or Iraq right now the flags would not be raised again for a long time.
I believe he was only suggesting that the flag be lowered at the actual military base where the fallen soldier was stationed — not all around the country. And, yeah, I actually agree with it. While I don't agree with using the VA Tech incident as a platform for anything, I don't think the Sergeant was trying to be petty. He could've had better timing, though.

In fact, I'm surprised they don't do it already. The troops deserve an honor from their own base, at very least. But this is an issue that stands on it's own, and once again, the VA Tech shooting doesn't need to be brought into it (just like every other issue it has been associated since this whole mess started).
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

Aishiteru
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Aishiteru » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:28 pm

While the shooting was and always will be Cho's fault, I think it's ludicrous how the situation was handled. Cho shot his ex and the boy in her dorm first at 7 a.m. The students were notified by email, but told to follow their normal schedules instead of having a campus lockdown. I can understand why they wouldn't want to disrupt classes for something that was thought at the time to be a jealousy crime, but when the safety of students is at risk officers need to be at the doors of every building, and students should be sent to as safe an area as possible.

It was found during the autopsy that Cho had bipolar disorder. I realize that this is very hard to detect (a friend of mine fould out he had it at 13), but in 23 years I would think he would have some kind of test. also, his writing. Morbid art is by no means a sign that someone is unstable ,but when there is only morbid writing and nothing else something is probably wrong. He wrote a screenplay about a man who found his cheating wife, killed her and her lover, and then killed himself. (anyone else notice a similarity). To wrap up my rant, many people are less observant then they need to be, and some just don't care, and I'm sick of it! Wow, it felt good to say all that!
The Music of the Night and Tuxedo Mirage are what keep me from going completely INSANE! (right...)