Massacre on Virginia Tech Campus

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Massacre on Virginia Tech Campus

Post by Tiff » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:30 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266374,00.html

That's...horrible. Thirty-two dead, and they're saying it's the biggest/worst massacre done by a single shooter in a single place in U.S. History.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:39 pm

That is awful. I'm just....at loss for words. How can someone be so fucked up in the head like that? Good God. I'll come back later with more to say...I can't even think of anything else right now.
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

kingofgames
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by kingofgames » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:09 pm

ITs sad
School was the last "safe" place in this country, and now, theres no safe place
Ultimate Anime Haven
Help support and join my Anime fourm
Favorite Senshi: Sailor Venus
My most over used Quote: Venus Power Makeup!

If you would like to Talk to me about anything, PM me
I just want to make friends

Current Sailor Moon Series: Sailor Moon R
Current Sailor Moon Episode: 86

Tempest
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Tempest » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:28 pm

Schools have been gradually becoming less safe for good students as well as teachers. This makes me so very sad. It's just ... insane.
And really, why shouldn't we be afraid? In case you haven't heard, life is terminal. Cigarettes will kill you. So will your cellphone. Your car is a deadly weapon and alcohol is a quiet killer. Don't lick the lead-based paint on the walls. Don't lick the back of a postage stamp and certainly don't lick any strangers! That will bring you down quickly indeed. Don't drink the water but don't drink less than eight glasses a day. Your enviroment is toxic, your natural resources are dwindling, your days are numbered, but what ever you do, don't panic! The stress, don't you know, will kill you.
-- Jonathon Crane/The Scarecrow Rise of Sin Tzu novel

Jeff
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:30 pm

Horrible, tragic day. So many people grieving right now.

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:31 pm

Tempest wrote:Schools have been gradually becoming less safe for good students as well as teachers. This makes me so very sad. It's just ... insane.
It's utterly frightening both if you have a child in school or if you're teaching in a school.

But hell...HOMES aren't even safe anymore. Why should we expect schools to be any different -_-

Somebody's always trying to hurt or kill someone else, and it's an aspect of human nature that I hate.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Gamer8585
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Gamer8585 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:50 pm

Yeah, its defiantly a sad pattern.

Personally, I think its a reflection of: a decline of comity throughout the greater society, the increased alienation of youth from positive authority figures, and the idolization of hyper-masculinity of males in pop culture. Or, it could be just a few nuts that snapped, got a firearm, and had a field day.

Well, I just hope a way is found to stop these people before another attack occurs.
The power of love conquers all...except a nuclear hypocenter.

Guess the "Quote of the moment:"
OF COURSE I"M MAD! YOU SHOT ME IN THE ASS! ---???

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:59 pm

Gamer8585 wrote:Yeah, its defiantly a sad pattern.

Personally, I think its a reflection of: a decline of comity throughout the greater society
I'm inclined toa gree with that. The world is so much less civil, polite, and respectful. People treat eachother like dirt, and it's considered 'okay'.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Lightweight
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Lightweight » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:25 pm

Man, this is horrible. I can't even begin to phantom what went through the guy's mind as he did these atrocities.

The worst part is when people try to benefit from other's tragedy. Take Florida Lawyer Jack Thompson, who jumped the gun and tried to blame videogames for this event. This is being well-discussed on other boards like in GameFAQs, and I'm not gonna go too into it (as to not stray too far off-topic), but it's just sad to take advantage of this to push someone's agenda.

EDIT: (taken from another forum)
2: The campus security utterly blows. Stories tell that the first shooting at 7am was a diversion to leave a false trail of evidence while he quickly went to the other side of campus to carry out the "main" shooting. Campus dean is in trouble now; they didn't act quickly on alerting all the students.

I can't even understand this. HOW can someone NOT be alerted that something big could happen out of that? I would sound the Air Raid alarm if I had to because of this.
Last edited by Lightweight on Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now listening to: Gorillaz: El Mañana

"You can teach an old dog new tricks... but you cannot teach Madonna to act."
-Yakko Warner

Officially finished watching all Sailor Moon episodes as of April 19, 2008!!!

Gamer8585
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Gamer8585 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:32 pm

Lightweight wrote:Man, this is horrible. I can't even begin to phantom what went through the guy's mind as he did these atrocities.

The worst part is when people try to benefit from other's tragedy. Take Florida Lawyer Jack Thompson, who jumped the gun and tried to blame videogames for this event. This is being well-discussed on other boards like in GameFAQs, and I'm not gonna go too into it (as to not stray too far off-topic), but it's just sad to take advantage of this to push someone's agenda.
WHAT! That asshat Thompson has finally gone too far. Seriously his position is already a bad one, logically speaking: He wants to piss off a large segment of the population he believes have been turned into homicidal lunatics. (despite the fact that home console penitration has been negatively correlated with crime for the last ~20 years).

But to usurp a tragedy like this, and manipulate people for an illogical, rights trampling, agenda....kinda makes me wanna go Counter-Strike on the prick.
The power of love conquers all...except a nuclear hypocenter.

Guess the "Quote of the moment:"
OF COURSE I"M MAD! YOU SHOT ME IN THE ASS! ---???

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:42 pm

This truly is a sad day for anyone affected and for this country in whole. The worst part is this is not the first time some extremely disturbed person has done something like this and it makes me scared to think that it can happen again.

To blame video games is ridiculous in my opinion to, im sorry but for the small percentage of people who do play the game and have a problem distorting reality. There are plenty of us who play and understand that taking a life is wrong and using weapons have consequences so that male is nothing but an idiot and probably trying to push a political agenda.

This world can be so frightening I wish this was just a limited thing but stuff like this goes on all around the world, schools shot up innocent lives lost. All I can do is send a heart felt condolence to those who lost loved ones and pray for a day where tragedies like this do not exist.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

DuoTheShinigami02
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by DuoTheShinigami02 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:48 pm

My dad told me about this, and I was shocked.

Thirty-some people by one gunman?

This is horrible.
"After all these years, you know it's not about control. It's about trying to do everything I can. And for you, it's about setting an example. Everyone looks up to you. They listen to you. If you tell them to fight, they'll fight. But they need to be inspired, and let's face it, 'Superman'...the last time you really inspired anyone... was when you were dead." -- Batman, to Superman, Infinite Crisis, issue 1

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:05 pm

I've been at school all day, but one of my teachers told me about it not even two hours ago. She said the death toll was 22.

Have they found a motive yet?
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:09 pm

Ugh, don't even get me started on jack Thompson, Hilary Clinton, and select others who will use this to fuel whatever agendas they have. I'll save that for a different thread sometime in the future.

This event is a great tragedy, and my condolences go out to all the families and friends of the victims. It's a very sad day today.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:16 pm

peachvampiress wrote:I've been at school all day, but one of my teachers told me about it not even two hours ago. She said the death toll was 22.

Have they found a motive yet?
32, including the killer, actually.

And so far, no.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

the*blue*girl
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by the*blue*girl » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:30 pm

wow, 32 (or actually, 33) people dead... it's just a horrible tradgedy. just awful. i have to say though, i'm not entirely shocked. these days, this kind of thing is getting more popular. still, 33 is a LOT of people.

''Frustration is the byproduct of success.''- said by our instructor Jason in an attempt to motivate us

You`ll say, Don`t fear your dreams, it`s easier than it seems
You`ll say you`d never let me fall from hopes so high
But never is a promise and you can`t afford to lie

- Fiona Apple, Never is a Promise

Jason: Stop talking, put your clothes on, and go home.
Us:(in a perfect chorus) .... THAT''S WHAT HE SAID!
Jason: ...-_- I quit.

Chibisteven
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Chibisteven » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:53 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
:cry: :cry:
32 crying smilies (representing 32 people who didn't want to die like that).
*Gunman probally wanted to die, so he is not included.

:twisted:
Evil Smilie represents gunman's twisted mind.

My thoughts:
This is really sad. That people do these kind of awful things to eachother.

Kohdok
SMU Wannabe
SMU Wannabe

Post by Kohdok » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:20 pm

MarioKnight wrote:Ugh, don't even get me started on jack Thompson, Hilary Clinton, and select others who will use this to fuel whatever agendas they have.
Don't forget Charlton Heston...

When I first heard that a shooting had occurred in a Virginia College, I was worried because my older sister is in a college in Virginia. Fortunately, she does not go to Tech, but I'm sure the ordeal has shaken the confidence of people in her college, as well.

Most will say "A terrible tragedy that didn't have to happen". The simple and sad truth is: It has happened, and we need to figure out what the hell is wrong in this country that would provoke something like this.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:30 pm

unfortunately this type of situation is becoming more and more common place and its sad.

A couple of months back a man for no reason but he had emotional issues opened fire on the downtown district in the small town im at. He shot people coming out of the court house and other buisnesses. Its a wonder why I dont like leaving my house much its just amazing how the mind works.

The things that make me most afraid is A. people with mental illnesses will once again be looked at as lepers because of truly sick individuals like this who probably didnt get enough help or didnt bother trying. And it can be hard at times there are resources out their for people who are emotionally disturbed but without support from close family or friends they will not go and get it thus resulting in situations like this.

B. That this is becoming so norm that there wont be a time anyone remembers when a school shooting or bombing or some random act of terror didnt happen on a regular basis. I truly think back to highschool when my history teacher taught us about Lebanon and Isreal, now we are getting a taste of what those countries face on a daily basis and its truly distrubing.

Another thing that bothers me is the media covering this, me and my mom lost count on how many people flashed up news briefs only to say nothing at all or add nothing new or say they didnt have any information at the time...all I see alot of these news stations are ratings whores and the lot of them bug the heck out of me.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:46 pm

I realyl don't know what to say. This is just horrible, innocent people at the campus being killed for no reason. Was the shooter a member of the university?

It's really sick, how it seems violence is making an increase in this world.

Rest in Peace, victims... I think peace is something they really need.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL