Bias in basic and not so basic forms

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Bias in basic and not so basic forms

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:22 am

I figure since I didnt want to rant in the wrong threads for this that id make a post about a subject that is touchy with myself and after checking to make sure theres not another topic covering these subjects I decided to make one.

Now without going into much detail about my life since no one needs an autobiography of who I am. I will say that im a pretty free spirited person, what some would call liberal minded to an extent. I also happen to be an African American female who shares a diverse group of friends and have a very diverse attitude when it comes to things I enjoy and like. Now when I lived in Ny (my home town) I dont think most people batted an eyelash at my views or attitude. Once I moved to Florida I had a few who generally gave me the look of "oh man shes weird" because of my choice for Religion (Pagan) and who I hang out with and the style music I listen to. Now that im in South Carlonia I get it even worst and It just bothers me.

Why do people feel that because your skin color is a certain tone that you have to be into things a large majority of your race is into or your self hating? I for one love who I am and have never wished to be anything but me. Yet because I like Rock music over rap, because ive dated and was married to a caucasian male I get told I am a wanna be? um a wannabe what? why is it because your a certain color people think you have to behave a certain way to be accepted? It bothers me more because of the fact my child is a product of an interacial marriage and it terrifies me some peoples mentality about his being mixed. why cant we all just be humans?

Religion is another thing that gets me down, the thing that bothers me the most is peoples lack of understanding of others personal choices and their assumptions that other ways of religious practices are wrong or evil. Since ive moved Ive lost count of how many people assume that the religion I am apart of is "Devil worshiping" um no if you open a history book every once in awhile people would see that Paganism has nothing to do with the Devil in any form. Satanists are not pagans they are satanists which are an offshoot of Christanity the religion that introduced Satan and his fall from the heavens.

How do I know things like this? I read I didnt just pick a religion willy nilly. Nor do I go around pretending to be into something just because its cool. Im not knocking other pagans or wiccans I just tend to see alot who say they are just because they think its hip. I was raised a christan, know the bible cover to cover. And the one person who influenced my choice in all was my grandfather who was a baptist minister. When I was nine I asked him what are we religious wise? He said some call us baptist but it truly doesnt matter what you call yourself, just having faith in god is enough. I asked him so it doesnt matter if you worship in a temple or not? And he point blank told me that one does not need a building to connect with god. I took those words to heart and still do.

I guess what really bothers me is the lack of respect for others who arent the "norm" for their race, the pressure some feel to act a certain way or be called names such as oreo, or wigger. Why does a white person have to want to be black for liking rap? Why cant they just relate to that kind of music? To me this world is never going to get better till we stop trying to put barriers around what a person should like and shouldnt. Race just like male or female should not be limited to things for said race or sex.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? its just something thats bothered me for the longest Im sure others here have been threw prejudices in some way or form, from racial, to sexual to weight issues.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:47 pm

ADMIN MODE: Just a warning to you all..this can be a touchy and heated subject, so let's try to keep this thread civil and respectful.

Now for my rseponse as a member.

I will forever live by my philosophy of stereotype, and that is:

"Stereotype can only exist if there is someone to live up to it."

What I mean by this is: As long as certain people go out of their ways to behave in those stereotypical mannerisms, then they will forever keep that stereotype alive.

As you stated here:
Why do people feel that because your skin color is a certain tone that you have to be into things a large majority of your race is into or your self hating? I for one love who I am and have never wished to be anything but me. Yet because I like Rock music over rap, because ive dated and was married to a caucasian male I get told I am a wanna be? um a wannabe what? why is it because your a certain color people think you have to behave a certain way to be accepted? It bothers me more because of the fact my child is a product of an interacial marriage and it terrifies me some peoples mentality about his being mixed. why cant we all just be humans?
The thing is, SoV, that SO many young black people (I rarely use politically correct terms like "African American", not because I want to offend, but because it simply isn't a big deal to me. I don't expect people to call me a German-Italian-Mexican American. In simplest terms, I'm white.) make a point of acting liek that deliberately. They make a point of acting "ghetto", or listening to rap on full blast (which is fine to an extent, but I have high school kids lurking through the halls singing gangster rap with colorful words at the top of their lungs), or speaking in ebonics, or wearing their pants to their knees.

So because of that, you are automatically grouped into that category until "proven" otherwise. I know so many black women and man who are intelligent, articulate, well-spoken, well-groomed, and awesome people. one of my closest friends is black, and she personally HATES the "ghetto" scene.

The thing is...sometimes, it's your own race that rejects you and calls you a "wanna be" (and this can apply to any race), NOT the others. Because they've spent so many years living up to that stereotype, the minute someone in their group goes in the other direction, they become "the enemy", and it's ridiculous.

It bothers me more because of the fact my child is a product of an interacial marriage and it terrifies me some peoples mentality about his being mixed. why cant we all just be humans?
Now, in my years of teaching, I've had plenty of interracial children, and I honestly haven't seen any backlash toward them. I really don't think that's much of a problem now than it used to be. More and more people are becoming accepting of interracial relationships.

He said some call us baptist but it truly doesnt matter what you call yourself, just having faith in god is enough. I asked him so it doesnt matter if you worship in a temple or not? And he point blank told me that one does not need a building to connect with god. I took those words to heart and still do.
Your grandfather was an amazing minister. He is absolutely the kind of minister/preist/etc every religion needs, IMO.

I guess what really bothers me is the lack of respect for others who arent the "norm" for their race, the pressure some feel to act a certain way or be called names such as oreo, or wigger. Why does a white person have to want to be black for liking rap? Why cant they just relate to that kind of music? To me this world is never going to get better till we stop trying to put barriers around what a person should like and shouldnt. Race just like male or female should not be limited to things for said race or sex.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? its just something thats bothered me for the longest Im sure others here have been threw prejudices in some way or form, from racial, to sexual to weight issues.
Again, like I said above, it's getting to the point where groups almost WANT to create these "boundaries" and "characteristics" for thesmelves so that everybody in their race or group or culture either has to behave that way, or is shunned.

And yes, i've experienced the flipside of it. What burns my ass is when minorities (of all kinds) believe that racism is only whites hating minorities. Bull. I'm white, and I've experienced so much racism from the black women I used to (and a few that I currently) work with, it's not even funny. I've had parents last year (when I worked at a different school) outright say, "I don't WANT that white woman teaching my child next year", and it hurts. And I'm honestly sick of the assumption that I'm the "white devil" and that it can't go the other way around.

I have many, many friends of many different ethnicities. My friends are cuban, mexican, black, asian, and white. I grew up around the world while my father served in the military, and I'm fortunate to have been surrounded in so many different cultures. So when somebody takes a look at my skin and immediately pegs me as some bitchy, entitled white girl, it pisses me off. Don't DARE judge me, when i've been nothing but open, kind, and accepting my entire life.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:08 pm

Tiff wrote: The thing is, SoV, that SO many young black people (I rarely use politically correct terms like "African American", not because I want to offend, but because it simply isn't a big deal to me. I don't expect people to call me a German-Italian-Mexican American. In simplest terms, I'm white.) make a point of acting liek that deliberately. They make a point of acting "ghetto", or listening to rap on full blast (which is fine to an extent, but I have high school kids lurking through the halls singing gangster rap with colorful words at the top of their lungs), or speaking in ebonics, or wearing their pants to their knees.

So because of that, you are automatically grouped into that category until "proven" otherwise. I know so many black women and man who are intelligent, articulate, well-spoken, well-groomed, and awesome people. one of my closest friends is black, and she personally HATES the "ghetto" scene.

The thing is...sometimes, it's your own race that rejects you and calls you a "wanna be" (and this can apply to any race), NOT the others. Because they've spent so many years living up to that stereotype, the minute someone in their group goes in the other direction, they become "the enemy", and it's ridiculous.
Oh believe me that is where the majority of my argument is geared towards. I was suprized when I lived in Florida how many so called
"Rednecks" were more accepting of my attitude, then alot of the black people there and its sad. And believe me I know and have grown up around women who go out of their way to show their ghetto mentality and it bothers me that they cannot see that lifestyle can be socially hindering and demeaning to us.

Also the prejudice I speak of against my son comes from alot of "My people" as well. Ive heard comments just from my own housing community about myself and a neighboor who happens to be a white female married to a black male and they have kids. Its mostly older folk who still have their minds back in the days where stuff like that was frowned on. I just fear the longer I stay in this particular area more "not so friendly comments will be flung." And as a normally calm and quiet person the moment I hear someone say something deragotory about my son thats all going to fly out the window.

I just think people need to think less about how people percieve them and strive to do their own thing. But its hard to do so when you feel you'll be shunned more then anything else. To me its sad when I hear people talk fondly about sons and daughters who have been locked away. Yet dont even bother to talk about their children who struggle get good grades and get out of the house. Some of my own family is notorious for that, they are the ones who still live up in the projects thinking nothing better is going to come for them and that "The man" is holding them back. Its sad but there are still plenty of people with that mentality.

Oh and believe me Tiff I love my grandfather, it was sad when he passed because he helped teach me how to be open and accepting. I wish I knew more clergy that thought the way he did, faith was faith to him and your own path to god was what was important. I am sure there are others and hopefully one day I'll meet more with his mentality.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....