Movie Remakes

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:27 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Senshi_of_Vision wrote: How long before they remake classics such as the Wizard of Oz?/quote]Is it wrong that I really want a remake of The Wizard Of Oz? Sigh, I can always dream....*hugs his copy of the book*
Actually, I've been wondering that for a while. It wouldn't exactly be a remake of the movie, just another adaptation of the book that's a little more closer to it. But I also wonder if Return to Oz didn't already take care of that (since it's a sequel to the book and not the movie)
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:08 pm

True, Return To Oz did do that, but because so many people are obsessed with the Judy Garland film, every time I try to get somebody to watch Return To Oz, people either don't know it even existed or they hate it just because it's different from the MGM movie which saddens me because I still think it's one of the greatest '80s fantasy films and I think its' haunting musical score is superior to the ragtime musical tunes of the MGM movie.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:12 pm

Well my only problem with a remake of it would be them not following the book and adding modern jokes or themes to the movie. Hollywood is not know for following a storyline's structure properly. Alot of my favorite writters (albeit comic books) have stated that they hate when hollywood comes to them to adapt their work into movie form because they always make unneccessary and stupid changes. If they could pull of a new Wizard of Oz with decent actors and follow the books plot I think Id enjoy it. But knowing our luck some big named director would get it cast a bunch of big named idiots and it would end up a stink fest because its such a crime to use new people who may have direction instead of the status quo.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:10 pm

I remembering reading an interview with the son of the author of Bridge To Teribithia (who also wrote the screenplay for the movie). He was saying the for the longest time, Hollywood wanted to make the book into a movie, but only on the condition (major spoilers obviously) [spoiler]that they change the ending so that Leslie doesn't die,[/spoiler] which is stupid to begin with but gets even worse and offensive when you realise that [spoiler]the author wrote the book because her son's friend had died and to help him cope. I'm sure he didn't appriciate years of Hollywood trying to crap on the memory of his dead friend.[/spoiler]
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:49 pm

Ugh see thats why I just dont trust a decent remake or decent book adaptation out of Hollywood period. Not all stories have happy endings, and to me some of the best stories are ones that have tragic or endings that arent all smiles and happy sunshine. Ones that pull emotions from you and make you think "man what if I was in that situation, could I handle such loss?" Hollywood tries to hard to sugar coat stuff when it comes to serious drama, id gladly give up seeing the next quirky romantic comedy flop to see a real serious movie where A. theres no clear cut hero/villian, B. theres not always a happy ending or even a regular ending, you know the type that most people are used to. Id like to see more movies with endings that make you go WTH? it may be baffling but it sure would be worth the 9 buck tickets to go see.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:49 am

Senshi_of_Vision
A. theres no clear cut hero/villian,
I have to disagree here. Personally I find that there's been too many stories with ambigious heros and villians. Not just in movies, but in other forms of media to (T.V., books, comics etc.) It's like the controvercy over the movie 300. That movie would have been terrible if they made the Persians more sympathetic, or the Spartans less heroic. While I do like stories where the villians have some redeeming aspects to them, sometimes I just want a clear cut good vs evil movie.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

~Suicide Kings

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:55 am

I dont mind good vs evil I just think its been done to death in some movies. Ive just always been a fan of the stories that make you want to root for the bad guys at times. Being a person who considers myself a neutral on things it always bugged me how people assume anything is a total good or bad, to me sometimes you have to do a bad thing to achieve the greater good and sometimes a completely evil person will do a good thing probably because it will benefit them but it balances things out. Movies to me now adays focus alot on clear cut good guys and bad guys and Id just like to see more of a shake up in that aspect. Back to Remakes though I watched the willy wonka movie last night after reading some of the comments and I think i'll stick to the original to besides I like Gene Wylder one of my most favorite movies of all times Blazing Saddles stared him in it :) :lol:

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:32 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:True, Return To Oz did do that, but because so many people are obsessed with the Judy Garland film, every time I try to get somebody to watch Return To Oz, people either don't know it even existed or they hate it just because it's different from the MGM movie which saddens me because I still think it's one of the greatest '80s fantasy films and I think its' haunting musical score is superior to the ragtime musical tunes of the MGM movie.
See, REturn to Oz scared the hell out of me. >_> it was downright frightening, imo. The fucking pumpkin-headed scarecrow guy, the heads in the jars, all of it.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:36 pm

Tiff wrote:See, REturn to Oz scared the hell out of me. >_> it was downright frightening, imo. The fucking pumpkin-headed scarecrow guy, the heads in the jars, all of it.
Haha, Jack "the pumpkin-headed scarecrow guy" was one of my favorites. =P But I agree on the heads in jars, and those damn Wheelers. X_____x

I wonder how much scarier they could make The Wizard of Oz, if it was remade.
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

Hobbes
SMU Fan
SMU Fan

Post by Hobbes » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:57 am

SeiUsa wrote:
Sailor V wrote:They better not even think about touching "Sound of Music." or blood will be spilled.
Starring Britney Spears singing, "My Favorite Things" >.<

I know there's a couple of remakes that I do enjoy, yet I can't think of them right now. <.<;
D: Not my Julie Andrews...
I AM YOUR LOVE-LOVE GODDESS B[BLEEP]ES!
-Aino Minako from Suburban Senshi

"Would I rather be feared or loved? Uh, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
-Michael Scott, The Office

Kameko
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Kameko » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:16 am

I wouldn't mind a Mary Poppins movie that actually has the Mary Poppins from the books. I have nightmares that Hollywood will want to remake 12 Angry Men. "We need people of color and women in there. The original is racist and sexist."
Everybody was a baby once, Arthur. Oh, sure, maybe not today, or even yesterday. But once. Babies, chum: tiny, dimpled, fleshy mirrors of our us-ness, that we parents hurl into the future, like leathery footballs of hope. And you''ve got to get a good spiral on that baby, or evil will make an interception.

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:29 pm

SeiUsa wrote:
Sailor V wrote:They better not even think about touching "Sound of Music." or blood will be spilled.
Starring Britney Spears singing, "My Favorite Things" >.<
Oh dear God! I think I threw up a little at thinking that. :sick:
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Tiff: They must love making Usagi cry. ;_; poor Usagi.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumper Sticker: A villiage in Texas is missing its idiot. Send Bush home.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idiot of 2010: Arnold Schwarzenegger sucks ass! He killed Tookie!
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Tiff: DAMN YOU ALL.
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
Dan: Gah! Off of me and back to Bob! *replaces self with Bob and runs*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:32 pm

That is a good point Kameko, now I am all for hollywood diversity, but if they would just allow more movies to be made based on cultural differences and allow them into the mainstream that would solve alot of problems there. I personally hate seeing movies redone just to cast minorities or females to be PC. I once got into a heated debate with friends about this subject to cause people assume because im black that I automatically think I should just be happy when someone of my racial backround gets a part, my whole thing is if they dont fit the role then dont cast them it should have nothing to do with skin color or gender. And gah shudders a remake of 12 angry men redubbed twelve angry homies *rocks back and forth in a corner.*

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:34 pm

It's very obvious that a lot of remakes are just in it for the money and the special effects, so the story and the directing are very poorly done.

Look at Posidon Adventure? The remake sucked. The original was cheesy, but you at least cared about what was happening to everyone.

I heard that they are going to be remaking the Goonies. That movie is only twently years old

Some stuff is just stupid to remake. Bewitched? Dukes of Hazard? Yours, Mine and Ours? Great job Nickelodeon making a very stupid movie about a REAL family. Same with Cheaper By the Dozen.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:51 pm

Tiff wrote:[See, REturn to Oz scared the hell out of me. >_> it was downright frightening, imo. The fucking pumpkin-headed scarecrow guy, the heads in the jars, all of it.
That's why I love the movie so much and Jack Pumpkinhead was my favorite character. ^^;; And the original novels were just as disturbing, such as in The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz, where the Wicked Witch Of The East puts a curse on the Tinwoods Man while he still had human flesh that forced him to cut off all the parts to his body and stab himself in the heart with his axe, and in Ozma Of Oz, when the King Of Ev[spoiler]commits suicide after regretting selling his family to the Nome King.[/spoiler] And Senshi Of Vision, your post reminds me of how in the Salem's Lot remake they changed one of the teachers in the original mini-series (forgive me for not remembering his name; I haven't seen Salem's Lot in ages) who was originally just this old white man until a young gay black man for no reason at all. If they did this to stay closer to King's original book, I wouldn't have cared, but since that teacher was always a white old heterosexual male in the novel, I didn't like that change because it felt pointless and only seemed to exist to add more sexual tension to the movie and to include more minorities.
Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:01 pm

Rin wrote: Look at Posidon Adventure? The remake sucked. The original was cheesy, but you at least cared about what was happening to everyone.
I actually like the original, I didn't think it was cheesy. The remake was HORRID. good god x_X

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Rin
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Rin » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:10 pm

Tiff wrote:
Rin wrote: Look at Posidon Adventure? The remake sucked. The original was cheesy, but you at least cared about what was happening to everyone.
I actually like the original, I didn't think it was cheesy. The remake was HORRID. good god x_X
Oh don't get me wrong, I loved the original too. I just dealt with people saying, "ZOMG The original was teh cheesy! Y did u liek it and not the noower one!"

Ok it wasn't exactly like that. XD but some people got annoying over this. And I had to make it clear to them that I did not infact, think it was the absolute best movie ever made.
Currently watching: Sailor Moon S movie

Red String Web comic: http://redstring.strawberrycomics.com/

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:48 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:And Senshi Of Vision, your post reminds me of how in the Salem's Lot remake they changed one of the teachers in the original mini-series (forgive me for not remembering his name; I haven't seen Salem's Lot in ages) who was originally just this old white man until a young gay black man for no reason at all. If they did this to stay closer to King's original book, I wouldn't have cared, but since that teacher was always a white old heterosexual male in the novel, I didn't like that change because it felt pointless and only seemed to exist to add more sexual tension to the movie and to include more minorities.
Ugh I truly hate that, theres no point to it except for hollywood to say "hey look we can be diverse" Um no if the part is originally intended for a white person, then leave it be, im not going to be upset if its meant to be like that, just like I wouldnt be upset at a movie that is set in asia having all asians. It would be like them remaking Memoirs of a Geisha in a few years and adding sista's just to stir stuff up. It wouldnt make sense and is not needed. If you want that style character in a movie then create a movie for them dont remake a classic story and change the roles to add token characters cause to me it seems like more of an insult then something to be proud of.

And Im glad I didnt watch the new version of the Poisidon adventure. A. When I heard they changed the title to just Poisidon I figured it would be a stinker, then that preview where they had to mention Fergie was in it sealed the deal for me not to want to watch it. Nothing against Fergster (save her music makes my ears hurt) but if the highlights of that movie has to center around her cameo then no thanks. Besides too many remakes focus on cgi action effects instead of core storylines and that sucks as well. Id take the less then spectacular blow up scenes to see some in depth acting.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:53 pm

Rin
Some stuff is just stupid to remake. Bewitched? Dukes of Hazard? Yours, Mine and Ours? Great job Nickelodeon making a very stupid movie about a REAL family. Same with Cheaper By the Dozen.
Can you believe they made a sequel to Dukes of Hazard?

~Suicide Kings

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:25 am

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:
Ugh I truly hate that, theres no point to it except for hollywood to say "hey look we can be diverse" Um no if the part is originally intended for a white person, then leave it be, im not going to be upset if its meant to be like that, just like I wouldnt be upset at a movie that is set in asia having all asians. It would be like them remaking Memoirs of a Geisha in a few years and adding sista's just to stir stuff up. It wouldnt make sense and is not needed. If you want that style character in a movie then create a movie for them dont remake a classic story and change the roles to add token characters cause to me it seems like more of an insult then something to be proud of.

And Im glad I didnt watch the new version of the Poisidon adventure. A. When I heard they changed the title to just Poisidon I figured it would be a stinker, then that preview where they had to mention Fergie was in it sealed the deal for me not to want to watch it. Nothing against Fergster (save her music makes my ears hurt) but if the highlights of that movie has to center around her cameo then no thanks. Besides too many remakes focus on cgi action effects instead of core storylines and that sucks as well. Id take the less then spectacular blow up scenes to see some in depth acting.
I freakin hate when they change stuff up to make it more "ethnic" and "diverse". Good god, if a character's supposed to look a certain way or be a certain race, THEN KEEP THEM THAT WAY.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama