Movie Remakes

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:15 pm

Iced_Cappucino wrote:
And in reply to Tiff's comment earlier, you said that you think characters should be there correct ethnicity in the film adaptions of books but what about Morgan Freeman in The Shawshank redemption? In the book his character was originally white but Freeman was a good actor, probably why they chose him.
I said I didn't like how they did it for the sole reason of making the movie "more diverse".

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:18 pm

Iced_Cappucino wrote: And in reply to Tiff's comment earlier, you said that you think characters should be there correct ethnicity in the film adaptions of books but what about Morgan Freeman in The Shawshank redemption? In the book his character was originally white but Freeman was a good actor, probably why they chose him.
Not that she needs me to but to come to Tiff's defense I do believe I started the whole "I dont like them changing a characters race from the author's portrayl of the character." Now I love Morgan Freeman and I loved the Shawshake redemption. But if I had read the book first I think id have been abit miffed if I had gotten attached to the character and had a picture of the author's vision in my head. Fortunately the character he portrayed was easily converted, but as was stated before some movies just throw in token characters to add "diversity" where it wasnt needed. Or they change a core characters race/sexuality or sexual preference to appease the masses instead of featuring movies that already have portrayls of them.

Ive said it before if the character is meant to be one race there shouldnt be a problem with hollywood keeping them in that way. I loved the way Micheal Clark Duncan played the Kingpin but I did not like that he was casted for it, being a hard core comic fan. Was it his acting? No, it was the fact that since I could remember and before hand Kingpin had been a very large White Male. If they wanted to put him into the spiderman series which he's apart of to how would they explain his detailed backround now? They took out his wife and son in Daredevil and changed his race which ruined that for movie for me. Thats the kind of casting that bugs me considering Marvel does have enough enthic characters both heroes and villians that could have been properly portrayed. I hate sounding like a ranter about this but it just makes absouletly no sense to me for a core character just to be change for "diversity" instead of making more movies that feature characters of ethinic backrounds.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:28 am

Senshi_of_Vision wrote:
Not that she needs me to but to come to Tiff's defense I do believe I started the whole "I dont like them changing a characters race from the author's portrayl of the character." Now I love Morgan Freeman and I loved the Shawshake redemption. But if I had read the book first I think id have been abit miffed if I had gotten attached to the character and had a picture of the author's vision in my head. Fortunately the character he portrayed was easily converted, but as was stated before some movies just throw in token characters to add "diversity" where it wasnt needed. Or they change a core characters race/sexuality or sexual preference to appease the masses instead of featuring movies that already have portrayls of them.

Ive said it before if the character is meant to be one race there shouldnt be a problem with hollywood keeping them in that way. I loved the way Micheal Clark Duncan played the Kingpin but I did not like that he was casted for it, being a hard core comic fan. Was it his acting? No, it was the fact that since I could remember and before hand Kingpin had been a very large White Male. If they wanted to put him into the spiderman series which he's apart of to how would they explain his detailed backround now? They took out his wife and son in Daredevil and changed his race which ruined that for movie for me. Thats the kind of casting that bugs me considering Marvel does have enough enthic characters both heroes and villians that could have been properly portrayed. I hate sounding like a ranter about this but it just makes absouletly no sense to me for a core character just to be change for "diversity" instead of making more movies that feature characters of ethinic backrounds.
Exactly. That was my point, as well.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Iced_Cappucino
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Iced_Cappucino » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:30 am

I probably got the wrong end of the stick then, sorry
Ross: You got me a cola drink.
Chandler: And a LEMON LIME!

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:43 pm

Iced_Cappucino wrote:
All I wish is that Hollywood would stop remaking Japanese horror films and just give us the movies sub-only.
They are going to remake Battle Royale -_-. That will be a disaster, a classic movie will be shredded to pieces.
Why release them on DVD, in Subs only, and reach a small audience, with little advertising other than magazines and site ads when re-make it, and make alot of money. The first american Ring was okay, and decent. I liked it.

Battle Royale is the PERFECT film for them to remake, honestly. Violence and disturbing. I belive it would be amazing.

And, Speed Racer looks AWSOME.
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:59 pm

Queen Of Hearts wrote: Why release them on DVD, in Subs only, and reach a small audience, with little advertising other than magazines and site ads when re-make it, and make alot of money. The first american Ring was okay, and decent. I liked it.

Battle Royale is the PERFECT film for them to remake, honestly. Violence and disturbing. I belive it would be amazing.

And some people would disagree with you.

Plenty of foreign films get released onto dvd/video with subs-only. There isn't that much difference here. The audience of people who like foreign films in their original form isn't as "small" as you think.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Queen Of Hearts
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Queen Of Hearts » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:39 pm

Tiff wrote:
Queen Of Hearts wrote: Why release them on DVD, in Subs only, and reach a small audience, with little advertising other than magazines and site ads when re-make it, and make alot of money. The first american Ring was okay, and decent. I liked it.

Plenty of foreign films get released onto dvd/video with subs-only. There isn't that much difference here. The audience of people who like foreign films in their original form isn't as "small" as you think.
Yes, but a theater screaning + Merchandising + DVD sales = bigger profit. I know its not super small, but, the other has much more profit.
God Save the Lolita!
Recent Purchases-
Angelic Pretty lucky pack. <3
Bodyline Fruits Parlor Skirt

MarioKnight
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by MarioKnight » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:56 am

Queen Of Hearts wrote:
Tiff wrote:

Yes, but a theater screaning + Merchandising + DVD sales = bigger profit. I know its not super small, but, the other has much more profit.
But you fail to realize that licensing, rewriting, casting, production costs, and all the other costs it takes to make such films. It costs a lot, and if the localized movie doesn't do well at the box office, then it has lost a lot of money for whatever company funded it. Making sub-only DVDs available of original versions costs considerably less, but have a much better chance of succeeding as the only real costs to a company are licensing and translation. However, it is true that the potential audience would not be as large as a localized film, but not localizing provides much less of a risk.

Profit can only happen if enough people enjoy the local version enough to make all the money spent making it, it's a giant risk and anything but guaranteed. If people don't like the product, then it has become a money pit. There's no clear cut "better" between the two methods, just different levels of risk between the two. And honestly, films that are imported untouched seem to have a better success rate (re: make a profit) than films that are localized.

I'm not saying I never want to see a localized film, hell usually I'm curious to see what will happen to it. But I don't think we should be denied the original films in the process. I was happy to see that The Ring provided both on DVD, and hope that more films that get localized follow suit. And at the same time I was happy to see Kung Fu Hustle untouched. Both films turned up a profit despite the different methods used to bring them over. However there is no clear cut "better" way to achieve this goal.
Dan Bednarski ~ MarioKnight
Narsk.NET
smuncensored.com administrator
WikiMoon SysOp
phpBB MODs - Change forum banner
SMU :: MKBO :: Jumbled Thoughts :: FightingMongooses.com
DD:Recall Profile and DDR scores
Xbox Live Profile

Warriors of Legend: Reflections of Japan in Sailor Moon - Book on sale now! Please support!

Click here to have your voice heard to bring tokusatsu shows (such as PGSM) to this side of the ocean.

RIP
Sam DeNato: 1/11/07
Kevin Watt: 10/7/07
Evan Schoberlein - 7/24/08

This list seems to keep on growing. =(

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:22 am

MarioKnight wrote:
But you fail to realize that licensing, rewriting, casting, production costs, and all the other costs it takes to make such films. It costs a lot, and if the localized movie doesn't do well at the box office, then it has lost a lot of money for whatever company funded it. Making sub-only DVDs available of original versions costs considerably less, but have a much better chance of succeeding as the only real costs to a company are licensing and translation. However, it is true that the potential audience would not be as large as a localized film, but not localizing provides much less of a risk.

Profit can only happen if enough people enjoy the local version enough to make all the money spent making it, it's a giant risk and anything but guaranteed. If people don't like the product, then it has become a money pit. There's no clear cut "better" between the two methods, just different levels of risk between the two. And honestly, films that are imported untouched seem to have a better success rate (re: make a profit) than films that are localized.

I'm not saying I never want to see a localized film, hell usually I'm curious to see what will happen to it. But I don't think we should be denied the original films in the process. I was happy to see that The Ring provided both on DVD, and hope that more films that get localized follow suit. And at the same time I was happy to see Kung Fu Hustle untouched. Both films turned up a profit despite the different methods used to bring them over. However there is no clear cut "better" way to achieve this goal.
Exactly what I was going to say, thank you.

-Friends

-Son of Man, Tarzan

-Leela, Futurama

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:57 pm

I just recently watched the Tin Man mini-series and I have to admit that it was actually pretty good. From the trailer, it looked like it was going to be some campy LOTR rip off with hardly anything to do with Oz other than the title, but it actually did a decent job of sticking to the basic familiar plot of Oz while also adding a lot of originality to the story. The characters were likeable in their own right (I thought Glitch's habit of forgetting what's going on was funny) and I liked that DG had actual flaws as I was worried she would end up being an annoying Mary Sue type. And the special effects were really impressive for a made-for-TV special. In a way, I thought calling Tin Man a "re imagining" was a bit misleading as it's more of a non-canon sequel to the Wizard Of Oz than a remake, since in the mini-series it's revealed that DG [spoiler]is a descendant of Dorothy Gale, and I thought their way of revealing Dorothy to be the original "Slipper" was a pretty unique way to give a nice nod to the original Oz[/spoiler]. If the Tin Man mini-series can prove to be successful in spite of being different to the MGM film, perhaps it could eventually lead to a larger demand for an accurate film adaptation of the novel if it can get people to realize that it isn't the end of the world if an Oz movie doesn't follow the Judy Garland film.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

AnimatedEvey12
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by AnimatedEvey12 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:03 pm

So rumor has it that there is going to be a Karate Kid remake with Will Smith's son and Jackie Chan as Mr. Miyagi...dear god no.

For my view on remakes: it depends. Sometimes if I see a movie that I don't like and could have had some improvements fine but if it's an old classic then no. Like with Batman, I like the remakes compared to the old ones.
*~*FAVORITE QUOTES*~*
I...Drink...Your...MILKSHAKE!!!-Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood
[email protected]#$%, you dont have a future.-The Bride, Kill Bill Vol. 2
Everybody say YATTA!!!
Whats the most youve ever lost on a coin toss?-Anton, No Country For Old Men
Dont toy with me Dr. Jones ! What is the point of all this?-Agent Irina Spalko, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Id sacrifice that bitch to satan!-Raye, Sailor Moon Abridged
I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you cant savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments-The Joker, The Dark Knight
DeviantART
AnimatedEvey12s Myspace, click if you dare!
My Blog
LJ!!!

NameGoesHere
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by NameGoesHere » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:26 pm

AnimatedEvey12 wrote:So rumor has it that there is going to be a Karate Kid remake with Will Smith's son and Jackie Chan as Mr. Miyagi...dear god no.
Yeah. I heard about that.

And then I think my cerebral cortex dissolved.

Jackie Chan, I love you, but you need to stop doing this to me. D:
NameGoesHere - Now made with 100% more ingredients.

HighC
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by HighC » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:03 pm

NameGoesHere wrote:
AnimatedEvey12 wrote:So rumor has it that there is going to be a Karate Kid remake with Will Smith's son and Jackie Chan as Mr. Miyagi...dear god no.
Yeah. I heard about that.

And then I think my cerebral cortex dissolved.

Jackie Chan, I love you, but you need to stop doing this to me. D:
I heard Will Smith was starring in the Mr.Miyahi role (obviously with a name change)