Movie Remakes

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Movie Remakes

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:21 am

I just got done reading all of the movie sequels thread and while I could have added to that everyone pretty much summed up how I feel about the majority of them. What bugs me is Remakes, now some remakes can be cute such as Miracle on 34th street, though I still like the original best. But some movies are completely unneccessary like Psycho, I mean come on Anthony Perkins was brilliant in that role, though ugh they did over do it with the sequels to it. Why they felt the need to remake this baffles me. Another is The Omen, im sorry I love the original that little boy managed to mix cute yet creepy well specially at the end that smile still chills my soul. And the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I seen this movie when I was very young due to irresponsible babysitters. Needless to say the original scared me very bad but I still ended up putting it in my favorite horror movies of all time list. The remake made no sense to me just another way to make it look more in your face which I dont think it needed. I just cant stand seeing some classic movies redone especially if the actors cant bring anything to the role. I seen the Omen 2006 and im sorry it didnt do anything for me but make me want to watch the original again.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:41 am

I remeber reading on a different board a comment someone made about remakes that I agree with. It was about how Hollywood shouldn't try to remake classic, popular movies, but remake good movies that for whatever reason weren't successful, giving them a second chance.

Personally, I'd like to see Hollywood remake movies that people eagerly wanted and waited for, but bombed horribly, like Catwoman. Here's the chance tell the story of one of the most beloved characters in pop culture, a character who has many interesting stories, and they get rid of anything remotely interesting and replace the character with a poor imitation (WTF kind of name is Patience?).

I'm a big fan of the Omen movies to, and although I hated the idea of remaking it, when I saw it, I didn't consider it to be a total waste of film. While the new Jennings, lowering the ages of the parents, the shitty CGI, and the ridiculous [spoiler]decapitation scene where his body does a freaking front flip down the stairs[/spoiler] all sucked, I loved the new music (apparently the composer was a student of Jerry Goldsmith), plus the scene with [spoiler]the deformed priest surrounded by snow[/spoiler] was very cool.

You have to agree though that it was better than Omen IV. *shudder* Any movie looks better compared to Omen IV.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:01 pm

Some remakes turn out fine, while others completely pain me. I also hate when they bastardize my childhood by making a HORRID rendition of my childhood books, like Matilda. -_- I ADORE THAT BOOK, and they completely bastardized the story (even if the girl playing Matilda WAS very cute).

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:40 pm

I heard they're remaking Adventures in Babysitting (only 20 years old), starring Raven-Symone. T__T How can Disney remake a movie that says, "Don't fuck with the babysitter"?

Someone once mentioned on an IMDb board that instead of remaking movies that are already great, they should remake bad movies and make them good. I think I agree.
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:21 pm

SeiUsa
How can Disney remake a movie that says, "Don't fuck with the babysitter"?
"Don't be hatin' on the sitta ya'll" or something equally stupid and "modern" that today's audience can relate to -_-

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

~Suicide Kings

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:28 pm

SeiUsa wrote:Someone once mentioned on an IMDb board that instead of remaking movies that are already great, they should remake bad movies and make them good. I think I agree.
All I wish is that Hollywood would stop remaking Japanese horror films and just give us the movies sub-only. Apparently, Warner Bros. is now remaking Speed Racer into a live-action film. I hope remaking anime into live-action movies doesn't become the latest Hollywood fad. But I'd l kind of like to see Disney adapt the Broadway musical version of Mary Poppins into a film, which keeps the songs from the original movie but at the same time stays closer to the book while also including new songs.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:14 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:All I wish is that Hollywood would stop remaking Japanese horror films and just give us the movies sub-only.
If they did that, then they wouldn't be nearly as popular as they were in the remakes. Don't think I'm defending the American remakes, though, because I think they're bad for the most part as well. But if they released them sub-only, then more people would find some excuse for never watching them or they just wouldn't get anything that was happening.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:36 pm

The remake of "Willy Wonka in the Chocolate Factory" was absolutely horrible in my opinion. They turned Willy into a young kid with and IQ of a 3 year old that doesn't care about adults. The "new and improved" Oooompa-Loompa music was also horrible and most of the kids were snotty brats. All in all, I really disliked that movie.
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Tiff: They must love making Usagi cry. ;_; poor Usagi.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bumper Sticker: A villiage in Texas is missing its idiot. Send Bush home.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idiot of 2010: Arnold Schwarzenegger sucks ass! He killed Tookie!
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Tiff: DAMN YOU ALL.
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
Dan: Gah! Off of me and back to Bob! *replaces self with Bob and runs*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:33 pm

Sailor V
The remake of "Willy Wonka in the Chocolate Factory" was absolutely horrible in my opinion. They turned Willy into a young kid with and IQ of a 3 year old that doesn't care about adults. The "new and improved" Oooompa-Loompa music was also horrible and most of the kids were snotty brats. All in all, I really disliked that movie.
I remember reading how Tim Burton was originally considering either Michael Keaton or Christopher Walken for Willy Wonka. Either one of them would have made the character more interesting and less Michael Jackson-esque. But Burton being Burton he went with what's been done to death safe and cast his girldfriend Johnny, and his wife Skeletor Helena, and a bunch of other people he's used too many damn times recently (because a true artist does what's familiar and never tries to branch out or think outside the box -_-).

~Suicide Kings

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:03 pm

I do have to agree with you on Omen IV PeachVampiress, it just pains me to see remakes of movies that do not need it. I know that sometimes hollywood wants to do it to supposedly show off a up and coming actors new skills or show they can handle a role but I havent seen many remakes that can do that. I am a huge fan of old movies I guess from the courses I took in high school and college sealed that. I like Spencer Tracy and Humphrey Bogart and actors like that and I have yet to see many now aday actors that can pull off their old roles. They remade captains courageous a favorite movie of mine from film school with Robert Urich I believe and I wanted to tear my eyes out. And Disney is horrible at remakes even their remake of the parent trap sort of irks me dunno why but it does. They need to stop focusing so much on the profit margins and start working on the stuff that made their company great in the old days. I think poor old walt is twitching in that cryogenic chamber. I have another good old disney rant but i'll save it for another thread.

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:54 pm

I usually hate movie remakes. The remakes always have to be so obnoxiously modern. Or their just stupid. Or both.

Example, I saw the remake of Carrie, the other day. Every few minutes, they just HAD to throw in how the movie takes place in modern times, rather than in the 70s. Like how Carrie said to her mother "I found out about [telekenises] through the internet", or how the other girls kept saying "Oh I'll call her on my cell phone!". First of all, I know Carrie would find out about the internet at school, but with her mother's teachings in the back of her mind (even though she did start getting rebellious), why would she even use it? Sure, the original Carrie seemed to throw down our throats that it took place in the 70s; by the styles of the clothes, hair, and by some of the music used, yeah, it was obvious. But did they rub salt in the wounds by making the kids say, "Oh let's go to a disco!", or "Oh I'd totally do Robert Plant, but SHE'D rather do that dude from Led Zepplin!"? No, they didn't.

Freaking bleh. I dunno about you guys, but I'd prefer a movie that could be considered timeless. I don't want modern technology thrown into the movie every five minutes. I don't want constant references to cell phones. I DON'T NEED TO HEAR RAP, OR HARD ROCK MUSIC, OF ANY KIND, IN A MOVIE THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE A "CLASSIC"! The 2002 remake of Carrie ruined the classic movie, AND the book with it's constant references to modern technology! With frequent references like that, movies like those usually fall in the memory hole of not-so-history, and can't very well be classics, and can't really be too timeless, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, here.

The 2004 remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre wasn't any better. The kids in the van went from innocent kids, going to see if their grandfather's grave had been vandilized, to rebellious teens out to buy pot and have loose sex in the back of the van. Texas Chainsaw 2004 was a completely different movie, and I for one, didn't go for that. It was too Hollywood. There was too much music, where the lack of music and the use of sound effects in the original worked much better. We saw what Leatherface looked like behind his mask, for God sake! I DON'T want to know what Leatherface looks like, I wanted it to be up to my imagination!

I knew I wouldn't like either remake of either movie. But it was a risk I decided to take, and it's a risk I wish I wouldn't have taken. So in short... most movie remakes these days suck.

And sorry for my ten-ton, hate filled rant there... I just happen to REALLY like the original Texas Chainsaw and Carrie movies.
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:10 pm

I had forgotten about Carrie probably repressed it *shudders* And I totally agree some movies just dont need it. What the hell was the point of remaking TCM when the original still chills people to the bone? Which brings me back to Psycho they kept hyping up that whole Anne Heche thing to try to mimic the original hype Alfred Hitchcock did with Janet Leigh and it just didnt work for me specially since anyone who watched the original already knew what was going to happen to the blonde in the shower. Ugh and I really cant stand book to movie adaptations either while not remakes alot of them just try to hard to appeal to the masses instead of following the story structure, its why even though he makes cameo appearances in his movies I still have yet to like a stephen king novel adapted movie. His movies have endings I can appreciate where sometimes no one gets out alive or its not always a happy ending. Then hollywood gets its hands on it and by the end people are smiling or looking hopeful...um what the hell? The stand is notorious for this I loved the book specially the uncut version. The movie made me so angry that I will never watch it willingly again. There are plenty of screen writters with new original ideas out there if hollywood would get their heads out their asses but theyd rather mess up an classic movie then produce fresh and original product, or run series into the ground back up over it then dump fresh manure on it in the guise of a series of sequels.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:41 am

jupiter23 wrote: But if they released them sub-only, then more people would find some excuse for never watching them or they just wouldn't get anything that was happening.
But they released Passion Of The Christ and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sub-only and those were big hits in the U.S. Is it just me or does their seem to be a double standard with sub movies? It's like people automatically roll their eyes if they have to watch a Japanese movie with subtitles but if it's any other language people will be all over it, like with the recent hit Spanish film Pan's Labyrinth.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

jupiter23
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by jupiter23 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:14 am

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
jupiter23 wrote: But if they released them sub-only, then more people would find some excuse for never watching them or they just wouldn't get anything that was happening.
But they released Passion Of The Christ and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sub-only and those were big hits in the U.S. Is it just me or does their seem to be a double standard with sub movies? It's like people automatically roll their eyes if they have to watch a Japanese movie with subtitles but if it's any other language people will be all over it, like with the recent hit Spanish film Pan's Labyrinth.
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was shown in the dubbed version when it came to the US. But you do make an interesting point about the double standard. I think it might have something to do with everyone's misconceptions that Asian languages are hard to learn.
Come join the party.

If the speed of light is 983,571,088 feet per second, what is the speed of dark?

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:15 pm

What annoys me is that some remakes is all people will ever know about (and want to know about). One time, I asked my cousin if she wanted to watch the original "When a Stranger Calls" and when I put it in she's like, "Wait, this isn't When a Stranger Calls." And I finally told her it's the old version. Needless, to say, she couldn't enjoy it because "the remake is better." T__T
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:10 pm

SeiUsa wrote:What annoys me is that some remakes is all people will ever know about (and want to know about). One time, I asked my cousin if she wanted to watch the original "When a Stranger Calls" and when I put it in she's like, "Wait, this isn't When a Stranger Calls." And I finally told her it's the old version. Needless, to say, she couldn't enjoy it because "the remake is better." T__T
Yeah I know what you mean I can only imagine how much worst it will get in the future to. I hope when James is old enough that I can interest him in the original movies then he can watch the newer ones and judge for himself. What troubles me is where will hollywood stop? How long before they remake classics such as the Wizard of Oz? Or Gone with the Wind? Or even movies like Eazy Rider? I wouldnt put it passed them at all they dont take in the fact that alot of these movies are fine for all generations and dont need updated versions of them.

Sailor V
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailor V » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:06 pm

They better not even think about touching "Sound of Music." or blood will be spilled.
Bob: People! Tiff had to put the crying Usagi banner up! Enter the contest!!! D8
Tiff: They must love making Usagi cry. ;_; poor Usagi.
Bumper Sticker: A villiage in Texas is missing its idiot. Send Bush home.
The idiot of 2010: Arnold Schwarzenegger sucks ass! He killed Tookie!
Sailor V: Do not worry! We will all be good little kids and when you come back, everything will be the same. *The place burns up as soon as Tiffu leaves*
Tiff: DAMN YOU ALL.
Sailor V: I DID NOT START IT! *Hides a liter and has Dan tied up in the backroom*
Dan: Gah! Off of me and back to Bob! *replaces self with Bob and runs*
Sailor V: Wait! Come back! I cannot have you interfering with my plans to bring down the forum!

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:10 pm

Sailor V wrote:They better not even think about touching "Sound of Music." or blood will be spilled.
Starring Britney Spears singing, "My Favorite Things" >.<

I know there's a couple of remakes that I do enjoy, yet I can't think of them right now. <.<;
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:27 pm

SeiUsa wrote:
Sailor V wrote:They better not even think about touching "Sound of Music." or blood will be spilled.
Starring Britney Spears singing, "My Favorite Things" >.<
..................kill it.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:05 pm

Senshi_of_Vision wrote: How long before they remake classics such as the Wizard of Oz?/quote]Is it wrong that I really want a remake of The Wizard Of Oz? Sigh, I can always dream....*hugs his copy of the book*