Any comic collectors out there?

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Any comic collectors out there?

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:44 pm

I am an admitted comic book geekette, after a couple of years of not being able to buy comics like I used to im starting to get back into the swing of things. Though I am finding some things ridiculous, so many things have changed since I last read comics about 7 years ago now they are killing Capt America off and while I am getting the book just to read (and I wont lie the collector value) I just dont get all the changes. My friends are trying to get me to buy the Ultimate series for marvel, I was wondering if any of you guys read or have read these series or the 52 series for DC? Right now im trying to figure out if its worth getting new titles or sticking to my original plan to buy back issues of series I used to love before I stopped being able to buy them. Already made space in my closet next to the other short boxes full of comic goodness to.
"Have you been half asleep? And have youve heard voices?
I hear them calling my name."
Is this the sweet sound, that calls the young sailors?
The voice maybe one in the same.
Ive heard it too many times to ignore it,
its something that I sposed to be..
Someday we''''ll find it, the rainbow connection
The lover, the dreamer, and me..."

*Being a bad girl is such hard work....

peachvampiress
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by peachvampiress » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:03 am

Hi. My name's Peach and I'm a comic book geek.

*Hello Peach*

I'm interested in several titles. I've got the first four volumes of Bone by Jeff Smith, a couple re-print issues of Tales From the Crypt, The Vault of Horror, and The Haunt of Fear, all of the Japanese reprints of Sailor Moon except for the last two volumes with the side stories, all ten volumes of Petshop of Horrors, a bunch of Simpsons comics, a few TMNT comics, the first issue of Mark Hamill's The Black Pearl (@[email protected] and desperately trying to find the other four), and some other odds and ends.

And while I don't have any volumes/issues, I'm very fond of the original Cybersix comics, which unfortunately aren't in English. I've been saving random pages I've found on the Internet and translating them. I've probably gotten close to 40 pages. I also keep a look out for any Steve Appleby comics I can find on the net, especially his Captain Star comics.

But my biggest collection is my 87 issues of various Catwoman comics (mostly the 90's ones by Jim Balent). My goal is to collect as many as I can, with the exception of anything post-Balent. I agree that some of the changes in comic books are ticking me off. Selena's no longer Catwoman. Instead her friend Holly is. Oh, and Holly's now a lesbian. I'm sorry, I read the "Her Sister's Keeper" story arc, there is no way you can convince me Holly's a lesbian.

But yeah, I do own a lot of comics. With some careful organization, I've managed to fit them onto one shelf, but it won't last long.
Peachvampiress has an account on DeviantArt. Insanity Within.
And a Myspace account for her clothing designs.

"A number of times, the only thing that kept me out of a satin box was that I could size up the other guy maybe half a second quicker than he could me."

"What the fuck are you talking about? You're taped to a chair."
~Suicide Kings

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:27 am

Nice to meet you PeachyVampiress and yeah I know what you mean, a friend and I had a discussion on that the other day. I dont mind comic books portraying characters who are homosexual. I think its great that they are trying to be diverse, but it seems to me lately that they are just letting characters come out to be more PC. And ugh Selina is not Catwoman no more? WTH? I think I may stick to back issues though Civil war looks very interesting to me to, and im in the process of purchasing some sailor moon comics in regular comic format and the graphic novels again (sigh my toddler ripped two up *cries*) I also want to get a set of Code Name Sailor V even if its the untranslated. I used to subscribe to magazines like Tokoyo Pop for their manga but I may just break down and start buying manga from online sites to add to my collection. Its nice to meet another comic geek though and I hope to talk more book stuff with you.

Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Parallax » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:27 pm

I'm a bit of a comic geek myself, especially with Green Lantern titles. :)
"Oh yeah. Someone is definitely tired of breathing." ("The Main Man", Part 1)

I'm writing this Sailor Moon/Green Lantern crossover AU fic called "Emerald Sunrise". It's a hybrid of Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, and Comedy. It's about Ami (Sailor Mercury) getting a new boyfriend who just happens to be a member of The Green Lantern Corps. I'm also throwing in some other characters from other animes and some old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the late '60's early '70's. I'm also illustrating it as well. :oops: Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

"Dead Man Walking!!!!!!!"

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:32 pm

Hehe your forum name gives that away. I just brought a lot of 200 books off ebay all old xmen and x family titles I cannot wait to put them with my collection. My best friend is a huge Green Lantern fan hes gotten me a few Graphic novels im liking them so far. I just dont share his zest for the ultamite lines from marvel though im reading them Im just more used to the older continum and im abit stubborn about all the new changes lol.

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:50 pm

I don't buy American comics but I do have tons of manga but I'm too lazy to list all that I have. But right now the manga I'm presently collecting is Fullmetal Alchemist, Loveless, Hellsing, Tsubasa, XXXholic, Fruits Basket, Dragonball Z, Naruto, Fushigi Yuugi, X/1999, and I need to buy more of Gravitation sometime but I just never get around to it. I just can't get into American comics mainly because there's too many spin-offs and sequels and alternate unvierses and stuff like that that it feels so overwhelming that I don't know where to start. There also just isn't any good places to buy American comics from around here other than buying American superhero comics from Booksamillion and I just can't get into those but I really want to read Hellboy sometime.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:58 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:I don't buy American comics but I do have tons of manga but I'm too lazy to list all that I have. But right now the manga I'm presently collecting is Fullmetal Alchemist, Loveless, Hellsing, Tsubasa, XXXholic, Fruits Basket, Dragonball Z, Naruto, Fushigi Yuugi, X/1999, and I need to buy more of Gravitation sometime but I just never get around to it. I just can't get into American comics mainly because there's too many spin-offs and sequels and alternate unvierses and stuff like that that it feels so overwhelming that I don't know where to start. There also just isn't any good places to buy American comics from around here other than buying American superhero comics from Booksamillion and I just can't get into those.
Yeah its gotten bad specially now adays its why im a vintage comic collector when I can afford it. The only manga I have right now besides my old shonen jump mags are the complete Sailormoon manga 1-18. Unfortuantely two of them were damaged and its been horrible trying to find replacements for them. Its like they have every other book besides the two I need to replace. Im thinking of just buying doubles though if I can to have so the ones I have that are worn can be used to read and the doubles to put up .

DreamEmpress
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by DreamEmpress » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:14 pm

I collect a ton of manga. (my list is on the first page of the thread about manga we own) That's the type of comic I mainly collect. However, i have collected stuff like the various Archie digests or some Disney comics when I was younger. Like the ones for Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast. I've never been too much into the american superheroes. Nothing wrong with them, but they just never really caught my attention.

Currently, I'm collecting Gargoyles comics! (They continue from Disney's Gargoyles cartoon series)

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:22 pm

My mom wants me to check ebay for Archie comics she used to have a bunch. Unfortunately those and my uncles collections from the 60s was thrown out by my grandma. When I showed her my overstreet price guide the other day all she could do is stare blankly then stated "my kids should have cleaned up." LOL needless to say I keep my books neatly packed away in their short boxes with a warning note to any one threatening to touch them.

The x books I got are awesome he even threw in the wedding album for Cyclopes and Jean lol im in total comic heaven right now out of all my hobbies collecting books is something I hope I never get tired of. And something I hope I can pass down to my kid.

Neon Heart
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Neon Heart » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:31 am

I used to be an AVID collector of the Sailor Moon manga, and Animerica Xtra. Of course, I decided I got bored with having them and either threw them out or gave them to a friend.

Now seeing that both could easily be collectors items, since the SM manga is out of print (currently) and Animerica Xtra is discontinued and out of print aswell,...Oh what a dumbass I can be sometimes.... TT____TT
The Single Funniest Thread Title Ever
Ian Ziering will not pose nude; world`s sigh of relief causes tornado

^ ^ ^ ROFL

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:48 am

The other night a friend of mine and I were talking about books we traded thrown away or passed up on. Ive thrown out spiderman books when I was younger cause I didnt really know better, im kicking myself now because of it. And all the ghost rider books I traded back when I was in highschool. And my friend got alot of my anime magazines as well cause I couldnt take it all when I moved but its okay I got my core collection back from my ex so im happy about that. I cant imagine losing 20+ years of books and so glad he was good enough to send them back to me.

heartlessarchangel
SMU Visitor
SMU Visitor

Post by heartlessarchangel » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:18 pm

I used to collect Animaniacs comic books, when I was an obsessed fan. But I got rid of them all after I started to like anime alot more.

Right now though, I'm collecting a comic book series called Gloom Cookie By Serena Valentinto & Vincent Batignole. it's a gothic soap opera type series, and I really like it. I have about 6 issues so far, and I'm going to buy Volume 2 when I get paid. I preordered it through a comic book shop here in Washington. it's been sitting their waiting for me, as well as the first volume in the Death Note series. I can't buy them right now, unfortunatly.(I owe 300 dollars to Social Security, since I work now) So I really have to save up what I have left over.

Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Parallax » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:02 pm

Can you believe I'm now collecting "Legion of Super-Heroes In The 31st Century" from DC Kids? :)

I'm writing this Sailor Moon/Green Lantern crossover AU fic called "Emerald Sunrise". It's a hybrid of Action/Adventure, Sci-Fi, Romance, and Comedy. It's about Ami (Sailor Mercury) getting a new boyfriend who just happens to be a member of The Green Lantern Corps. I'm also throwing in some other characters from other animes and some old Hanna-Barbera cartoons from the late '60's early '70's. I'm also illustrating it as well. :oops: Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:14 pm

Cool how is it so far? I just got a bunch more books down from my friend he found a couple of back issues of the fatal attractions storyline for me. And he got me a nearly complete set of Origins, the justice graphic novel, some ultimates and marvel zombies and some justice league that he thought I may like the story to, this weekend im going to be reading like no tommorrow. I am a very happy camper ^_^

Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Parallax » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:04 pm

So far, I have numbers 5 and 6, the latter having the 31st Century Green Lantern Corps. 8)

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:21 pm

Just got my hands on more X books including an almost complete run of Excalibur, some Alpha flight books (canada's xmen buddies lol) And I broke down and got the House of M series, Decimation and both varients for the Messiah Complex. Im hoping these newer issues are as gripping as the X-books when I was younger cause I know there has been alot of change ups. Theyve taken Rogues powers and given her new ones. Collossus died again but I hear he is back again. And might be gay though where that leaves the whole I'll always love Kitty story I dunno. Either way im hoping these comics will be a good read.

Starscream
SMU Chibi-mod
SMU Chibi-mod

Post by Starscream » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:33 pm

I don't think I could ever go back and try to get whole series of things I like - mostly the X books - but I am trying to get back into things with Marvel's "Messiah Complex". The story seems interesting enough, and it's always good to see Cyclops get some love again XD After the crossover finishes, I may try and pick up the new Wolverine solo series, as well as X-Factor and maybe Uncanny X-Men.
- David Graña

<3 Happily Married to Jennifer since July 16, 2005 <3

"Conquest is made from the ashes of one’s enemies" - Starscream
My Livejournal.

Judge: "Yes. What? You say if I testify I’ll be killed? Oh. It’s for you." (hands the phone to Fry)
Roberto: (On the phone) "And the other hamburger will also be made of your lungs. So long, pal."
Fry: "I refuse to testify on the grounds that my organs will be chopped up into a patty."
Judge: "Ah, the 67th Amendment."
Futurama, Insane in the Mainframe

Leela’s (former) boss: "Oh my various gods!"
Futurama, How Hermes Requisitioned his Groove Back

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:18 pm

Im currently collecting Messiah Complex looks good so far. On a bad note going to have to put my completing the SM comic quest on hold. The last 10 issues I need to complete the set are going for ridiculos prices. Found an online shop that has them and they want 200 for 10 books. I dont have it in me to spend that kind of money. Maybe back when I wasnt a mom and all. Ahh well my buddy has been helping me collect all the Origin's series since Wolverine is my favorite comic character of all time. Hell I used to run around calling everyone bub when I was younger lol. Had posters cards and still have most of my figures of him ^_^

Parallax
SMU Freak
SMU Freak

Post by Parallax » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:08 pm

I used to collect all of the "Superman" titles, especially the ones drawn by Curt Swan and/or Dan Jurgens. The same with the "Batman" titles. I'm also working on getting the "Green Lantern" graphic novels too. And any manga titles I can get my hands on. :)

Senshi_of_Vision
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Senshi_of_Vision » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:10 pm

My best friend is a total GL and Batman buff right now hes collecting the All Star batman series which looks pretty good I always did like Frank Miller's work on comics. I have to take back the collecting all the comic book versions of Sailormoon found a really nice guy up in North Carolina who owns a comic shop that sold me all the ones I was missing save 18 and 20 and then I found those 2 on ebay. So now I have 1-18 in pocket paperback, 1-35 and the special con issues of the comic books and the entire mixx magazine run of sailor moon up to the time they stopped it I believe. So my collection of that version is complete even though I will need to replace the pocket manga one day sigh. Other then that ive been trying to get into the planet hulk series as well. I should have collected world war hulk when I had the chance last year but didnt now im going to have to check back issues. So far im liking the Messiah complex to though waiting for the issues to come in the mail is driving me cuckoo lol.

I really wish they would open a shop closer to where I live or im going to have to really start traveling up to NC to get my books.