Saddam Hussein sentenced to death

Anything and everything (outside of the stuff on the above forums) can be discussed here.

Moderators: SMU Staff, SMU Chibi-Mods

Cardcaptor Takato
ZOMFG 1337
ZOMFG 1337

Post by Cardcaptor Takato » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:47 am

AnimeGuru0 wrote:
Basically what I have to say is, not to anyone in specific on the boards, but to Americans in general, you're spoiled. Hell, I'm spoiled too, I'm an american. We enjoy such a cush life compared to the rest of the world. We can't expect people to act the same way we do when live in a completely different culture and environment, and it's wrong of us to look down on them because we're spoiled.

That's my two cents. =x
So, when an American soldier tortures an Iraqi terrorist, it's immoral, but the Iraqis can mistreat their dead bodies because we're spoiled? What kind of message is that sending to people not just in Iraq but in other countries around the world? That it's ok to mutilate the dead bodies of people if you aren't spoiled just because you hate them? What happened to that golden rule "Do unto others as you would want done unto you"? This whole trial and execution of Saddam has been nothing but a farce so they can hurry up and get rid of Saddam. They might as well have just shot Saddam on the spot and everybody would still be dancing circles around his body. I don't have any sympathy for Saddam myself, but it's this message we're sending to people that I don't like. You know that if it was American soldiers were the ones who was doing this to Saddam's body everybody would be bitching about our treatment of dead bodies being inhumane.
"If we can''t comprehend the plan at hand, how could a higher plan make any more sense? I'd say you can only be a martyr if you know what you are dying for, and choose it"-Elphaba

"Those who made mistakes blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix a mistake. Man can't return to the past. That's why we drink. Drunks, lushes, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be denied.-Vash The Stampede"

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
AnimeGuru0 wrote:
Basically what I have to say is, not to anyone in specific on the boards, but to Americans in general, you're spoiled. Hell, I'm spoiled too, I'm an american. We enjoy such a cush life compared to the rest of the world. We can't expect people to act the same way we do when live in a completely different culture and environment, and it's wrong of us to look down on them because we're spoiled.

That's my two cents. =x
So, when an American soldier tortures an Iraqi terrorist, it's immoral, but the Iraqis can mistreat their dead bodies because we're spoiled? What kind of message is that sending to people not just in Iraq but in other countries around the world? That it's ok to mutilate the dead bodies of people if you aren't spoiled just because you hate them? What happened to that golden rule "Do unto others as you would want done unto you"? This whole trial and execution of Saddam has been nothing but a farce so they can hurry up and get rid of Saddam. They might as well have just shot Saddam on the spot and everybody would still be dancing circles around his body. I don't have any sympathy for Saddam myself, but it's this message we're sending to people that I don't like. You know that if it was American soldiers were the ones who was doing this to Saddam's body everybody would be bitching about our treatment of dead bodies being inhumane.
Ok.

1 - I never commented on the morality of Saddam's death or treatment, so why you quoted me and then brought up that point seems kind of weird.

2 - You bring up the point of "Do unto others" etc yet if we use that same logic in the reverse way, Saddam barely got what he deserved.

3 - You keep comparing American soldiers to the Iraqis and say "if Americans did this blah blah blah". You can't compare American soldiers to the Iraqis for the EXACT SAME REASONS i mentioned in my original post. You can't hold the iraqis to the same standards as Americans, and you can't hold Americans to the same standards as Iraqis. It's a different culture. There are different values. There are different circumstances.

I'm not saying its right to dance around dead corpses, to mutilate them (as in Mussolini's case), or things of that nature, but you have to understand where these people are coming from. I don't look down upon them because I can't claim to understand what they have gone through, I can't claim to understand what they're feeling and their emotions, because I've lived such a cush life. You can't hold two murders to the same standard just because "They're both murderers", when one viciously raped and killed his victim for no reason, while the other killed his father after 16 years of sexual and physical abuse to him and his siblings.

It's not wrong to morally have a problem with what the Iraqis are doing. It _IS_ wrong however to be so close minded as to condemn them, to not try and understand their point of view, to try and force your opinion and morals upon them.

Until your parents, your children, your siblings, your friends, your neighbors, your livelyhood, your health, everything about you has been completely destroyed by one person, I don't think you really have a right to tell the Iraqis what's "right" and what's "wrong".

TBA

Tiff
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by Tiff » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:46 pm

AnimeGuru0 wrote: Ok.

1 - I never commented on the morality of Saddam's death or treatment, so why you quoted me and then brought up that point seems kind of weird.

2 - You bring up the point of "Do unto others" etc yet if we use that same logic in the reverse way, Saddam barely got what he deserved.

3 - You keep comparing American soldiers to the Iraqis and say "if Americans did this blah blah blah". You can't compare American soldiers to the Iraqis for the EXACT SAME REASONS i mentioned in my original post. You can't hold the iraqis to the same standards as Americans, and you can't hold Americans to the same standards as Iraqis. It's a different culture. There are different values. There are different circumstances.

I'm not saying its right to dance around dead corpses, to mutilate them (as in Mussolini's case), or things of that nature, but you have to understand where these people are coming from. I don't look down upon them because I can't claim to understand what they have gone through, I can't claim to understand what they're feeling and their emotions, because I've lived such a cush life. You can't hold two murders to the same standard just because "They're both murderers", when one viciously raped and killed his victim for no reason, while the other killed his father after 16 years of sexual and physical abuse to him and his siblings.

It's not wrong to morally have a problem with what the Iraqis are doing. It _IS_ wrong however to be so close minded as to condemn them, to not try and understand their point of view, to try and force your opinion and morals upon them.

Until your parents, your children, your siblings, your friends, your neighbors, your livelyhood, your health, everything about you has been completely destroyed by one person, I don't think you really have a right to tell the Iraqis what's "right" and what's "wrong".
I'm in total agreement.

Hell, I'm sure plenty of Jews were thrilled when the war ended, they were freed ,and Hitler died.

Joey: The question is, Rachel, does he like you? ''Cuz if he doesn''t, then it''s all just a moo point.
Rachel: Huh...a...moo point?
Joey: Yeah. It''''s like a cow''s opinion. It doesn''t matter....It''s moo.
-Friends

"In learning you will teach and in teaching you will learn"
-Son of Man, Tarzan

"Why do we have to resort to nonviolence? Can’t we just kick their asses?"
-Leela, Futurama

~*Happily married to My Joe since 08/04/07*~

Sailormars Obsessed fan
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by Sailormars Obsessed fan » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:43 am

Ive always been a person who focuses on little things, and with his death I realized something.

I have no idea what his voice sounds like. I lived through the gulf war, and sorta kept up with his trial and all that stuff, but not once did I ever see video or audio of him talking.

I guess I never will now.
"The great library of Willendorf, filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by pompous historians about matters that could not possibly be of interest to anyone but themselves." Kain -- Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

SeiUsa
SMU Divine Fan
SMU Divine Fan

Post by SeiUsa » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:03 pm

Well...his the tape of his execution is online, and the three guys who recorded it are arrested now. I'd hate to be them.

And I wouldn't recommend watching it, so I hear.
The Facts of the Animal Kingdom:
"Zebras can bite."
"Snakes say sss."
"Lions chase people."
And of course…”Tigers bite you.”
--From Tiffu’s Pre-K students. =D
And one from me...Leopards are gorgeous.

AnimeGuru0
SMU Staff
SMU Staff

Post by AnimeGuru0 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:47 pm

I've seen it....It's very grainy and hard to see/hear anything...

But all i'll say is.....

[spoiler]His neck is very broken aftwards >_>;;;;;;;;;;[/spoiler]

TBA